Brian M. 23-Nov-21
nehunter 23-Nov-21
BBB 23-Nov-21
longbeard 23-Nov-21
Corax_latrans 23-Nov-21
Corax_latrans 23-Nov-21
Corax_latrans 24-Nov-21
21-Nov-21
Only had about an hour and 10 for a quick after work hunt. My stand isn't far off of the road on private property. Uphill all the way to the stand. I got settled in at 3:13. Not a thing moving until 4:10. I heard some steps in the thick cedars. I stood up and leaned against the tree, expecting a deer from behind me, but they didn't come from that direction. A doe with two big fawns came from upwind between the thicket and a stone wall. Only took a few minutes of slow walking for the doe to stop in front of me at 12 yards. She could have taken one more step, but I was already at full draw. There was a wrist size limb in front of me, so I just bent down a bit and let fly. I'm pretty sure the feathers tickled that limb and wobbled the arrow a bit, but it hit high right side, lung, heart, lung and stopped before breaking through the hide on opposite side. I had my string tracker attached, being an evening hunt with rain expected, I wanted a life line. As she ran off, the line got snagged on a stick and pulled the arrow out of her. But she only went 40 yards or so in a half moon, dropped, kicked a couple times and lay still. Her fawns eventually went to her and were trying to nudge her to move. A few minutes later another doe came down the same trail (auntie?). I decided not to double up and let her take off with the fawns. The Zwicky two blade snapped off the arrow, and I found it later inside the heart. If I didn't keep the heart for myself, it would be in the gut pile cutting some poor coyotes mouth. lol.

21-Nov-21

Brian M. 's embedded Photo
Brian M. 's embedded Photo

21-Nov-21
For the first time ever, it was an all down hill drag to my truck. Thrilled to have taken a deer with my longbow for the third season in a row, and the second year in a row to get one with each bow.

21-Nov-21
Hey Congrats!! Your having a great season. Just love the downhill drags.

21-Nov-21
Sweet

21-Nov-21
Sounds like a GREAT afternoon to me!

I was at the club and saw several right about the same time, so I took out my frustrations on the foam…

But at least I was OUTSIDE.

21-Nov-21
That’s fantastic! Quite an accomplishment!! Congrats buddy!

21-Nov-21
Awesome hunt!! Congrats!

21-Nov-21
Congratulations Brian, nice story and great picture.

22-Nov-21
Congratulations Brian! Great story and nice shooting.

22-Nov-21
Thanks for taking us along on your hunt. Who needs a turkey for a good Thanksgiving?

22-Nov-21
Congrats!!!!

22-Nov-21
Good job- down hill drags are the best

22-Nov-21
Good shooting Brian

22-Nov-21
Congrats bud!!!

22-Nov-21
Outstanding Brian! Could you recommend a long bow for youths? I'd like for my boys to start with that before a compound. Left and right handed...9 and 12 yo. Thanks.

23-Nov-21
John, my son started at 9 with an inexpensive fiberglass long bow and quickly transitioned to a compound. It wasn't long before I bought a youth compound , release etc. For that reason I wouldn't spend much on trad stuff unless that is your preferred way of hunting . Just sayin'

23-Nov-21
Not sure John, I don't use a youth bow. ;o)

They may like the trad bow over the compound and stick with it.

23-Nov-21
I think every beginner to the sport should first use a traditional set-up.

You learn more about the basics with stick and string. I would never recommend starting with a cross bow, but that's only my opinion.

23-Nov-21
Long or recurve bow is a great way to start archery. The bows are much lighter than a compound and as nehunter stated you learn a lot more about the importance of good form with these bows and they require dedication to become proficient. AND - the added draw weight at your anchor point improves the distance on your golf swing.

23-Nov-21
Way to go Brian! Great story and looks like the results of an excellent shot!!

23-Nov-21
I have two boys who are pretty good shots, and I’ll tell you what I think… You can take it or leave it, but this is What I Think.

If you buy a kid a decent recurve or long bow at an appropriate weight, they can shoot the same bow for many, many years. My youngest started with a Black Rhino model 48 “light“ which he shot from the age of five until he was 11. His form is better than most 50 year old men have been shooting for 30 years. When he shoots a bow that is substantially lighter than he can handle, his arrows may fall short of the target, but they all fall on the same line. And I mean like a 4” chalk line on a baseball field.

And the great thing about a stick bow is that the “correct” draw length is wherever the kid finds a strong and comfortable anchor point.

On the other hand…

A peep sight and a front pin enforce and reinforce ONE consistent anchor, every single time. Which is pretty much the key to consistent accuracy when shooting without sights, And those skills transfer very readily to shooting Stickbow later on.

If you hop over to the leather wall, you may be able to find a bow in a good size for a kid if you check with (by handle) Okaw (Black Rhino), Nemah (R.K. Korte) or Mike Mecredy (Maddog archery).

There are also plenty of perfectly satisfactory imported bows if you check out Lancaster or Hitman archery (nice, local guy who got hammered by Covid and could use the business) and if you get a bit larger riser, you can probably go nice and light with that first set of limbs and upgrade to something a bit heftier later on.

I know a couple of guys who switched from compounds and shoot much better than most “Trad” shooters ever get to be. And it didn’t take very long.

So I don’t think compounds are detrimental to learning how to shoot a bow well, but the most important thing (IMO) is that the kid falls in love with it.

If a kid’s mentor is wrapped up in itty-bitty group sizes, the kid is going to be unhappy if they cannot drill every shot into the center of the bull’s-eye at a known distance every time.

If the mentor has a much more relaxed approach to it and offers the kid targets such as balloons or tennis balls or whatever size object the kid has an easy enough time hitting from various , unspecified distances…. that kid is going to have a blast just putting a shot into the target.

But I can guaran-gol-damn-tee ya that the number one most important factor in teaching a kid to shoot is to figure out what turns them on and let them roll with it.

I got my boys started with Stickbows when they were young enough to still think that I was cool…. and they shoot very well. My older son will launch arrows with me from 80 yards just to watch them fly. Yes, 80 yards with No Sights .

23-Nov-21
The most important thing to remember about teaching kids to shoot is that whatever you tell them is fun and challenging will become fun and challenging for them.

If you are obsessed with shooting itty-bitty groups at known ranges, then you need to get the kid a compound so that they can keep up.

If it’s more important to you to be able to hit a target of opportunity at whatever distance is offered, then I would keep the kid focused on a sightless approach to it. If they see you succeeding wildly where they struggle, they will be inclined to quitting. If you put them on a level playing field with yourself, there is less opportunity for them to declare themselves disasters, and they are that much more likely to stay with it.

24-Nov-21

Corax_latrans's embedded Photo
Corax_latrans's embedded Photo
Just for reference… The first shot in this group was a cold shot after over a week without any shooting whatsoever, and that is the shaft which crosses over the bull and cuts the line at about 10 o’clock or so. That shot was about 55 yards.

Then I moved over to the 40-yard shooting line and put three out of five onto the line to hit the X ring if I had just gotten the elevation exactly right. The other two would kill an Elk (8-ring), but probably not a deer unless I got lucky.

The truth is that shooting without sights is really not all that difficult. If the kid enjoys it that way, foster it!

• Sitka Gear