xtroutx 23-Nov-21
skookumjt 23-Nov-21
Jeff in MN 23-Nov-21
vilascounty 23-Nov-21
22-Nov-21

FredBear76's Link

22-Nov-21
I read the leftist's article.

He's the hoity toity back country hunters and anglers type who looks down on the rest of us.

He can go pound sand.

He's ultimately just trying to sow division in the hunting ranks because they got their ass kicked by Hunter Nation last year. If you listen to him the radical left will be in charge of everything and we'll end up like California with severely limited hunting seasons and a thriving rewilding movement.

22-Nov-21
Jim Zumbo learned the hard way that blaming the color and looks of a rifle is idiotic and has no factual reasoning. Some other points I like, especially moving on deer farms.

22-Nov-21
I ' ll pass on anything TED is involved in .

22-Nov-21
I agree with Ruger. No Ted for me. The article has some good points.

22-Nov-21
While Ted is outspoken, he does not sugar coat anything. I think hunters in general have tiptoed around the anti hunters for far too long and it has gotten us nowhere. Non hunters are generally satisfied to know that the animals being hunted are either eaten or killed for management purposes. I do not always agree with what Ted says but there is seldom any question which side of an issue he is on. I appreciate that honesty. And I agree with DirtyMike, following the likes of Eisele will only lead us to more regulation by those who do not value hunting. We have been burned, used and abused by those who pose as hunters but do not have a solid, core belief in hunting. These people who try to pacify the left end up being useful idiots to those who work against hunting and firearms.

22-Nov-21
Hunting Sand Cranes and getting rid of Hunter's Safety seem like solutions to a non-problem. This is more about politics than conservation. I'll pass as well.

22-Nov-21
Unfortunately, it almost always boils down to politics. That is just a fact of our society as that is how all the rules and laws we live under are made. If we don’t address the politics of it, we are effectively allowing others to shape our society and the laws we live under.

22-Nov-21
Get rid of Hunters Safety? Makes no sense to me.... I still believe we hunters are our own worst enemy. We have lots of low quality people in this sport masquerading as hunters. Unfortunately lots of these goons are high profile on social media which is what we are being judged by. I think the non hunting public accepts resource management and ethical hunting practices, but the circus that the hunting industry has become is certainly a threat to the sports acceptance if you ask me. My take on it. You guys may see it differently....

22-Nov-21
I do not think that we need to cave into some liberals' ideas to keep our sport. We need to not allow the likes of Ted that have no interest in what is best for the sport. He and others are just greedy, self-interested.

22-Nov-21
Well said Mike…..

22-Nov-21
Thanks DT. Retro, IMO, human greed and money have led us down the wrong road.

22-Nov-21
"These people who try to pacify the left end up being useful idiots to those who work against hunting and firearms."

How about those hunters who actually voted for the left, why no criticism of them? Those are the biggest pukes, hunters who actually vote with the HSUS, PETA and the ASPCA.

22-Nov-21
Capt, yep..... If you look at the hunting industry, what's the theme? The only thing that matters is trophy animals. And the winner is he who ends up with the most and the biggest. And that's where the ugly is born... the masses doing whatever it takes to be in the race... Personally I've never understood the idolizing of someone who shot a deer or caught a fish. People are so sucked into the hype that the industry creates, and the hype is where the money is born. And that brings me to the fact that one of the biggest enemies we have is the industry itself. They don't care about the resource, only maximizing profits. And the masses are greedy enough that they take it hook, line, and sinker.....

22-Nov-21
They aren't trying to get rid of hunter safety. They are trying to substitute a mentored hunt for the field day requirement of in person classes or the online class with field test. In reality it doesn't matter because anyone can take hunter safety online and have no field test or hands on instruction.

22-Nov-21
Retro, the industry (the corporate, human greed) is indeed one of the biggest enemies. MO, it goes without saying. Those folks are like a cancer, killing from within.

22-Nov-21
A lot of the big names are shooters and not hunters. Most shows are taped on outfitted hunts or on well groomed private land like Lee and Tiffs, Drury’s, and Kiskies (sp?) Take any of them and turn them loose in the Nicolet Forest for 10 days and see what they get. Sponsors pay big bucks to them for their promotion of products and they HAVE TO produce. Some do it at all costs legal or not and some have been caught.

When hunting went from a sport to a business/industry is when thing started getting ugly and I lost interest in watching.

22-Nov-21
Droptine, The question is will the public ever figure it out?

22-Nov-21
I thought the field test was required. I did not know you could bypass it if you took online classes. I am not saying this is not true, just never knew that. My grand daughter needs to take it before next years seasons.

22-Nov-21
"The question is will the public ever figure it out?" I believe more and more are figuring it out. The Hunting Public, for instance, is reminding a lot of people you don't need a lot of fancy products, newest fashion and expensive leases to enjoy hunting. Theses guys have a yearly Public Land Challenge where they hunt out of state on public land and try and figure the local deer out. Most of their hunts are on public land, they don't have names for "their" deer and they have a lot of different hunting styles. My buddy and I just talked about how the "industry" is losing it's audience (thank god) and these young guys are getting it done.

22-Nov-21
Trout,

with COVID they illuminated the field day part of the testing. I like the mentored idea in its place. At least it’s something.

22-Nov-21
I just put my second child through Hunter's Safety this year and trust me, there was a field test. You should see some of the clown's in the class. I can't imagine sending some of those kid's out into the woods without proper instruction. Not every parent is as responsible as we are.

22-Nov-21
Education is valued by youth, only to the degree that it is valued by their parents. Hunter education is no exception. If parents view it as a "check the block" affair, so will the kids. I was a wreck when it came to the field portion of my Firearms Safety course in Minnesota, because my dad had instilled a great respect for the lethality of loaded weapons and a strict requirement for their safe handling.

22-Nov-21
Isn't it ironic that the hunting personalities above promote products and getting more people involved in hunting. But, they do not try to find quality places for them to hunt as they hunt their private honey holes. Not in my back yard. Buy my products and give me your money, but, make sure to stay off my ground - just hunt the crowded public with the others. I never forgot a commercial that Mark Drury did years back stating "for most people it's just about hunting. But, for me and Terry - we're video producers". His pursuits are more noble than the rest. Thanks They seem disingenuous to me.

22-Nov-21
Good comment Mark and you are right on about the hunting scenario described.They and they're ilk have caused MORE loss of hunting land in recent times than "anti-hunters". Talk about restricting some equipment use or special gun seasons and your called selfish etc., yea right while they set behind posted keep out signs. No problem with the land owner ship bit ,but shut up about more seasons and needing more hunters while making hunting a joke with the rapidly advancing technology. Watch your hunting backside in what or who you support. The resources are in jeopardy and if left uncheck only a select few with have the good hunting maybe we have reached that point already.

22-Nov-21
I don't see what's so amazing about having huge pieces of private ground that you raise deer on like cattle, protect them and nurture them, and bring the cameras in when they reach movie star status. It shocks me that after all these years that this has been going on that the public still thinks this is amazing and idolizes the "hunters" involved. This isn't a jealousy thing as I could buy my way onto a property and do the same thing. I have no interest in using my wallet to spoon feed myself a deer mount. I really do believe these shows and people involved are the enemy of Hunters. These people represent nothing that I stand for.

22-Nov-21
There was an internet option before covid happened, most people didn't know about however and those of us that teach hunter safety didn't advertise it. The firld test is not required for the online class.

22-Nov-21
"firld test" is that the test you have to take before you hunt firles?

23-Nov-21
I do like the banning of baiting deer.

23-Nov-21
If he understood the North American model, he would support the crane season. And Sandhills were never on the verge of extinction.

23-Nov-21
We hunt with firearms, not weapons? He proposes we not use certain semi auto weapons that function no differently than others, simply because of how they look? Total garbage.

23-Nov-21
read Ted Nugent's autobiography...1) he dodged the draft yet says now he would take out all the terrorists himself, 2) His wife was 13 when he was 21 on a beach in oahu. the police said to give him guardianship or he would be prosecuted for rape. 3) convicted of 19 hunting violations in multiple states, thats why he hunts high fences. sat on the Mathews board, i would never buy a matthews for that reason, besides Levi Morgan is living Mathews. Uncle ted is a real piece of s....

23-Nov-21
Hunters are an interesting group.

23-Nov-21
Right on MO, wish they could be screened

23-Nov-21
Thanks DT and Skookumjt. I like the idea of mentored hunts to replace field test also, This is my granddaughter 3rd yr being mentored. but what RDinWI said is very true in many cases I am sure.

23-Nov-21
I'm not necessarily in favor of it, just pointing out that this is all about nothing because you already don't have to do a field test. I honestly wish the hunter safety class was more challenging. They have made the written exam so simplistic that anyone that comes from a hunting family or someone with no experience but a little common sense should pass without taking the course. The field test is also too simplistic. A student can fail for not knowing all of the the ways to carry a gun and the right name for it but can pass without knowing how to determine the caliber of a cartridge/rifle.

Much of the emphasis is put on things that really aren't practical. The whole "go two fence posts down, unload your gun, put the gun under the fence, go back to where you started to cross the fence, and then go retrieve your gun before you load and make safe" is ridiculous. Nobody really does that in the field. There are tons of things that are critically important that are neglected while some things that don't matter are mandatory fails.

23-Nov-21
Hunter safety class is a wonderful thing, kids (and adults) learn a lot in the class and the field day activity. The Rochester MN class had well over 100 kids and some adults this year. We have students attending the field day from all over several counties, some kids even come Duluth because some places just to not offer this sort of class. Not sure what Wisconsin has for classes but if you don't have a program in your area get out there and get something going.

23-Nov-21
Hunter Nation is a wolf in sheeps clothing. I'm suprised to see folks on this site on their side. They throw in a few sensible proposals with a bunch of insane ones. It's a dirty game they play. It's organizations like these that are well organized and are coordinating to get the awful laws passed all across the country. This is no different than the NRA putting all the crossbows laws on the books. It's a shame the author of that article made it political, but aside from that, I think he made some good points (and a few bad ones).

If Hunter Nation had their way, we'd be a corn pile state again. Reversing bait bans does not "protect the rights of hunters". It ruins the hunting experience for everyone whose interested in doing all the "hunting" part of hunting, not just shooting a deer over a corn pile from a permanent blind, snapping a picture for facebook, and dropping it off at the processor.

These clowns are not hunters. I'll probably ruffle some feathers, but I'm of the opinoin that most "hunting" organizations values do NOT align with bowhunters. The word "hunting" has been stolen and now just means "shooting with a gun". And to be clear, I'm not anti-gun by any means. I spent all day today in the woods with a bolt action 30-06 and will be doing the same for the rest of the week. Now only if I could find some black powder..... granted I have a scope on my muzzy so I am GUILTY

• Sitka Gear