Naturelives 24-Nov-21
Hoot 24-Nov-21
Missouribreaks 24-Nov-21
longspeak74 24-Nov-21
vilascounty 24-Nov-21
Missouribreaks 24-Nov-21
RD in WI 24-Nov-21
23-Nov-21
On opening day, I heard gunshots all morning until 10am. I heard literally one at 2pm and none after that. Same story all week- gunshots in the morning but none at night. Is it easier to get a buck at this time in the AM than the PM? Or is this just a factor of current weather or whatever. I assume this is the case, but thought I'd ask, anyways.

Is there some secret I'm missing? Or are people just more inclined to hunt mornings? I am seeing NO deer in the AM, but am seeing does consistently around sundown. Granted, this could be due to my stand location or one of a million other factors. I am currently hunting large swamps with steep inclines into relatively open maple stands.

23-Nov-21
I would say 90% of the bucks I have killed have been in the mornings. I will add I also log more hours on stand in the afternoon. So I need to hunt more mornings. I did see the small buck at closing tonight. Last opener I passed up 5 bucks by noon and didn’t see a deer after that until Monday morning when two doe passed through.

23-Nov-21
Drop Tine, when you say 90% of the bucks you've tagged have been in the morning, are you referring to gun season or just all bucks in general?

23-Nov-21
All bucks, bow, and gun. I guess I’m better at figuring out their morning patterns and cutting them off than afternoons.

23-Nov-21
I think it's one of those all depending sort of answers. All depending on how you hunt, what you prefer to hunt, where you hunt, how you get to your stands. The variables are many.

I think I'll give you my take, even though this is just my take. Let's say you hunt a game trail between point A to point B? For argument's sake A can be anything where a buck was, and B is where a buck beds. If you are between those two spots, I'd think mornings would be best. My camera intel, and like most other hunter's camera intel suggests bucks move at low light and in the dark. So there they are in bed, don't get on their feet until after dark, and go out eat, drink, chase women, and that party goes on until early morning. Drunk, with full bellies, smelling like hot estrous, they go to bed. I think catching them going to bed is far easier in daylight in the morning, than catching them come out of bed in evenings with legal shooting light. So for me, I think mornings are better for bucks.

So ask me which is easier for me to hunt? Yeah, getting up early on my day off is tough. I have to rise even earlier, take a shower, get to stand early enough to let the deer I may have spooked settle, in hopes of catching a deer going to bed after partying late. So while I feel the opportunity is greater in the morning, I find evening hunts much easier to make happen. Get out there while it's nice weather, the hunt (unlike the morning) ends at dark, so they tend to be shorter, while in the morning I may be on stand 30 or more minutes early.

The best part is the variable of the rut. Deer can be up on their feet at any time of the day, so that little window in my opinion is best hunted as much as possible. Even during the rut, I think my buck encounters are highest in the morning. I believe my numbers are likely 60% kills in the morning, while I would venture to say I likely hunt the mornings 35% of all hunts throughout the year. That tells me mornings are better where I hunt. This is really about bow hunting, because all bets are off during gun season. Of course most people get out for the gun opener, and most deer are caught off guard, and most deer are bumped via hunter intrusion of the highest magnitude (statewide), and while my observations have shown that the people around me, hunted like they were bow hunting. I'm talking very minimal pressure. That doesn't mean I didn't hear shooting, but in my little piece, nothing. After all, I could care less what rapid fire Joe did over there 2 miles away, or before legal hours Billy did in the dark. I'm concerned about what might transpire amongst the people I know around me, and what they might have shot amongst the community of deer we all share. I believe the gun opener is a good indicator of hunting pressure on deer who haven't had much, more than it is on when deer move more (day or night). And gun season is less about hunting and more about shooting in my opinion, and seems almost anticlimactic even when you kill a good one. I am prejudice though, because my real love is the bow, and deer that don't act molested, and even though our area is less like that, that cannot be said about everywhere.

23-Nov-21
I am primarily morning too with bucks, only because most of my bucks were harvested around the rut. Bucks like to cruise mornings mostly because temps are at their coldest and mid mornings, because that is when most hunters are out of the woods and most does are bedded.

During gun season, most hunters are moving in and pushing deer. Making mornings more successful. Lunch time is another time for gun hunters. Generally, I think morning are better because deer bed typically before daylight and when the daytime winds pick up around 8:30 - 9 am, the deer adjust and move farther under wind noise.

Outside the rut and gun pressure. Evenings are definitely higher odds as bucks are on food patterns.

23-Nov-21
I'm the oddball I guess.... just about every buck I've shot has been in the evening. I typically sit sunup to sundown starting around the 29th-30th of October so I rack up the hours on stand. For whatever reason I have had the opposite result compared to some of you guys. I've seen some good bucks in the morning, just haven't put an arrow through many. I haven't gun hunted in years so I have no input during that time.

23-Nov-21

Bootspit's embedded Photo
Bootspit's embedded Photo
well this moon doesn't help. second I see lot more bucks in am then pm hunts. 3rd I like to sleep in even knowing I can get a shooter by my stand. but I guess if it's ment to be it will be.

23-Nov-21
I’ve killed more bucks in the morning. I’ll add that due to all day sits during the rut, I’ve probably killed somewhat equal numbers during the midday and evening.

24-Nov-21
In areas with a lot of pressure during gun season it seems like the best time to be in the woods is 9 to 11. In my area that's when it seems like most people are leaving their stands. I shot my gun buck around 945 Sunday morning.

24-Nov-21
I've killed a majority of my bucks between 10:00 AM and 2:00PM when I bow hunted and was younger and able to sit all day.

24-Nov-21
Morning has been the best for me, during gun season, I sit all day. Second best time is around the noon hour.

24-Nov-21
All my bucks have come during the morning hours (before 10:00 am)

24-Nov-21
I get a lot of September and October camera pictures in the late morning/early afternoon. Can someone explain what a bucks daily routine might look like if he's' up and at 'em at 11:00am?

My current (lack of) understanding is that they are eating and whatnot at night and then heading to bed in the early AM. So why are these dudes up at noon?

24-Nov-21
Each deer is an individual, much like people. They also have different levels of learning and past experiences. Bucks and their individual behaviors can be vastly different from other deer.

24-Nov-21
I prefer morning hunts; my brother prefers evenings. He has killed more deer than I have (all archery equipment) but I am the only one of us with bucks in the record book. I feel that in the morning, I can head to a spot as early as necessary in order to be on stand without spooking any deer. Additionally, the deer I may spook at 0500 is not likely the deer I am shooting at 0730.

• Sitka Gear