Lunker 05-Dec-21
Lunker 05-Dec-21
Lunker 05-Dec-21
Lunker 05-Dec-21
Lunker 05-Dec-21
Lunker 05-Dec-21
Lunker 05-Dec-21
25-Nov-21
Cant help but notice the amount of crossbow hunters lately. More than I ever remember.

25-Nov-21
This is gonna be a great dinner conversation.

25-Nov-21
Get your popcorn ready

25-Nov-21
That’s just the gun guys getting a jump on it.

25-Nov-21
Oh boy ! Here we go.

25-Nov-21
Someone pointed it out to me and now i see it everywhere. Young guys too

25-Nov-21
Haha BC!!

25-Nov-21
The devil s string

25-Nov-21
Lunker how you like yours?

25-Nov-21
Lunker how you like yours?

25-Nov-21
I'm working on a proto type belt fed

25-Nov-21
I wanna try that!

It's Thanksgiving so I'm not going to stir the pot.
but tomorrow might be time to test how thick some people's skin is... ;•)

25-Nov-21
Hahahahahahahaa. Happy thanksgiving guys!

25-Nov-21
More every year..

25-Nov-21
a lethal tack driving deer getter

25-Nov-21

25-Nov-21
Oh yeah lets not forget the double shot crossbow lol .

25-Nov-21
I met a really nice cross bow hunter at the landfill last weekend emptying out his truck. I asked if he needed help hauling at that heavy stuff he said no thanks.

25-Nov-21
Ok, dinner's over...

Crossbows are to Compound bows, as Compound bows are to Recurves. Still a lot of Trad folks think wheel bows are cheating, so I really don't care what anyone thinks about xbows. I'm not hunting with one now, but got one to play with and maybe take into Rhody if I'm liking it. They are slow to reload, like a muzzleloader, so I think they maybe should be treated similarly.

So they're fun, very accurate out to 100 yards, relatively quiet, a bit more awkward than a gun.

25-Nov-21
Mrw they are for sure fun. We just always give lunker a hard time about em hahah. My dads got a disability on his neck which effects the nerves down his whole right right. So he can’t shoot a regular compound and hold it freely anymore. He has a raven. Holy shit are those things amazing. We can shoot 3” groups honestly at 80 yards. Insane.

25-Nov-21
500 fps I read. Not too shabby…

25-Nov-21
That’s the newest. He has the r29x. I think it’s 450. Or damn close.

26-Nov-21
Lethal, accurate, high KE, but a PITA when blood trailing in thick stuff. Life is full of trade offs. It does extend effective shooting range but personally I don't feel comfortable shooting over 30 yds because of deflection from tiny branches I can't see in the thick cover I hunt. Speaking for myself only , I kill cleaner with my old Titan Xbow . Isn't that what it's all about?

26-Nov-21
Big dog, im just seeing alot more of it lately even with some able bodied younger guys. Just curious as to why so many all of a sudden

26-Nov-21
Just like spearfishing : it’s a tool in the box. I can use a gun, pole, Hawaiian sling….. either way I’m in the water. Same as the woods, wether gun, traditional, compound, falcon, or Xbow. If it keeps me in the game, I’m all for it! I didn’t ask to be condemned to the handicap side, but I’m here and making the best of it either way my glass is half full.

26-Nov-21
Qdiver, but some of these guys im seeing are lifting, working in jobs that require them to do harder movements than draw a bow, yet are still hunting in mass with a crossbow. Are doctors just signing off? Or are guys just saying screw it i will hunt with a crossbow?

26-Nov-21
Ewade, Because it's easy.

26-Nov-21
I know of some who’s doctors simply signed the dotted line. They never bow hunted cuz it was to hard. Got that now they “bow hunt” every year. I’m all for the guys who need them physically. But not the lazy ones who just want it to have it.

26-Nov-21
Im in agreement guys.

26-Nov-21
All for anyone who wants to use one. Injury or not. If you are going to put a scope on it, be honest. Is it really archery? I’d feel the same way if a compound had some sort of optic on it. But I don’t judge. Go for what ever you want.

26-Nov-21
Not cheap, we also noticed. You can spend 4K on one.

26-Nov-21
Used one when I lived in VA for a short time shot a deer with it but was loud and sucked to carry. Won’t have any issues using one when I’m old and unable to use a compound but until then I will stick to my compound.

27-Nov-21
Ewade, marketing. Watch a hunting show on TV or youtube, pick up a magazine, read a hunting site and there are generally tons of adds marketing xbows. It feels like as many or more than bows.

It also sounds astonishing - a scope, accurate at 100, 400-500fps, 8" wide (just a hair more than my bow with the quiver on it), electric cocking and decocking etc... The engineering is unreal on the things. Whether one would ever shoot at a deer even half that far, the concept and functionality is pretty amazing at this point.

Marketing works.

Please note, if one needs to use one I have zero issue - rock on! And frankly, if it's that more young people are saying: "what the heck, I got hurt and am not sure Ill be able to use the bow again, so Ill get the permit", cool. Keeps folks out there.

27-Nov-21
True will.

27-Nov-21
Ewade, my ortho was hesitant, he’s NOT a hunter, he’s definitely not anti, just doesn’t do it. He did my surgeries, knows my limitations, he knows I am a hunter gatherer. After a brief chat he understood my passion for the lifestyle and appreciated it. Like I told him, I’m not a sailboater, I’m a powerboat guy, and yet we both should be able to enjoy the water either way. If he couldn’t reef a sail, he should have the means otherwise to get the sail done correctly to enjoy the water. He got it.

As far as these young guys xbow hunting, not my business. I do what I have to do to stay in the game legally and I do. Going out this afternoon if this damn wind lays down, it’s honking here at the airport. Good luck to those out. Cheers

27-Nov-21
I talked to an archery dealer and the industry is selling way more crossbows than conventional compound bows . In fact if it weren"t for the crossbow sales some manufactures would be out of business

28-Nov-21
Boils down to feeling secure and happy shooting vertical . Insecurity promotes resentment and if Xbow hunters piss you off, perhaps it's because subconsciously you want to switch but feel that it is some sort of betrayal of your basic beliefs. Don't beat yourself up ; I think you're a fine fellow whoever the hell you are LOL.

28-Nov-21
Pi, if I was chief cook and bottle washer, my new mythical ruling would be:

Bow and arrow season as now, but starts in sept state wide and tag numbers more dialed to location. Xbox. Usable by those in need, but people can go back to a vert bow if health improves. Then any legal weapon season for 2 weeks after Thanksgiving, which would now include xbows. Then primitive arms season, which is muzzleloader, bow, xbow.

More layers than I can touch on right now otherwise.

04-Dec-21
https://wvmetronews.com/2021/12/01/w-va-bowhunters-association-raises-concern-over-crossbow-harvest-figures/

04-Dec-21
Pi, it makes too much sense; needs to be more convoluted to be deemed an intelligent approach. Incomprehension is key when formulating F+G laws in Ma. Wish I were joking.

05-Dec-21
""I talked to an archery dealer and the industry is selling way more crossbows than conventional compound bows . In fact if it weren"t for the crossbow sales some manufactures would be out of business ""

Was listening to a podcast interview with a former rep for a major bow manufacturer. One thing he pointed out is that crossbow sales will hurt pro shops in the long run, because crossbow shooters don't upgrade like compound archers. Less sales, less service, etc. equals shops hurting for income.

05-Dec-21
Thats surprising. I would've thought with all the advances in XBows every year people would be upgrading more often.

05-Dec-21
I'm sure someone mentioned this above I can't read thru everything so I'm not sure what direction this thread went but my opinion on them is I think crossbows should only be allowed in the gun season and my #1 only reason is because they shoot so far and I mean out to 100yds so I think they should be in a season where everyone is wearing orange and not camo.. there's a guy in Reading he's a friend of a friend lets say who this season has already shot two does and wounded both with his crossbow and never found them I think by the sound of it he doesn't even really look for them I keep hearing about there being no blood which to me is dull broadheads or gut shots. I was told both of his shots were 70+yds and the guy drives with glasses on but he says he can't wear glasses while looking thru his scope so are you kidding me.... I know many who use crossbows and all great folks one is a really really good friend who simply wants meat in the freezer as soon as possible,,,, the upside to crossbows is almost all of those hunters are tagged out in the first week leaving me the woods all to myself,,, until gun season.

05-Dec-21
Taj, Bluntly stated , a cross bow should be considered a short range weapon (under 50 yds). I won't comment on "sportsmen" who buy Xbows with the sole intention of shooting whackey distances if you catch my drift. In addition, I don't think many Xbow hunters would want to be penalized by being forced to miss pre rut and rut only to be allowed gun season. Seems a bit of a witch hunt. It's real easy to dream up stringent rules for Xbow hunters when you're not one yourself ; but in time you may be. In my wildest dreams I never believed the ravages of time would force me to the Xbow. Then it looks pretty GD good.

05-Dec-21
May b on this thread or the sister thread "simple solution " someone perhaps Dana c mentioned we could recruit new hunters to fight the good fight against the anti s. May b Miguel. Anyway let's b honest. In this state we will always b the minority. Always. if we were to double our numbers we still would b the minority. So that argument can b thrown out

05-Dec-21
It was Tmashado37 that said it on the other thread.

05-Dec-21
I'm not replying to if the x gun is good or bad. Legal or not. Should or shouldn't be. I'm burned out on that. I'm simply referring to a post saying that we could grow in numbers to even out the scale. Assumption I don't think so. In this state we will always b the minority. Even if we doubled in numbers. Agree Dissagree fact or fiction. Assumption or fact

05-Dec-21
Hate is a strong word. I don't hate the weapon. I hate the offensive people that mis mis uses them. You can use your facts and stats all you want. They don't show everything. Especially don't show stats on illegal use. All your stats have bored me into submission. I don't care as much anymore. I can not change the future and the future contains x guns. For now I'm perfectly happy with how the law stands

05-Dec-21
No I'm not. I'm bored with the constant back and forth. Numbers do not show the complete picture. They never do. Never. They are tools for that specific argument. I do pull my opinion out of my ads cause that's were it's safest

05-Dec-21
Ass not ads. Respectfully submitted

05-Dec-21
Don't wish to abolish all with a brush stroke am just fine with the way things are as far as the law states. When the law changes I'll deal with it as it goes. No prob. I'm nothing if not adaptable

05-Dec-21
Different dirt

• Sitka Gear