Nyati 02-Dec-21
Anglinscreek 02-Dec-21
JayD 02-Dec-21
Nyati 02-Dec-21
Nyati 02-Dec-21
Anglinscreek 02-Dec-21
JayD 02-Dec-21
25-Nov-21
How do I go about looking at the real time deer kill numbers on the DNR site. I am not great with computers

25-Nov-21
I don’t think they have that available yet - I normally just email them.

26-Nov-21
Wow. Seems like it would be easy to do. Lol. My computer guy could do it

26-Nov-21
It would be easy to do. Several surrounding states have had it a few years

26-Nov-21
They could upload them daily just like Ohio and virtually every other state that has electronic check in…

Always hush - hush

26-Nov-21
At the commission meeting at Cacapon- I ask to have an easier way to access info.

Wouldn’t that be something that would have to start with the director and commissioners?

26-Nov-21
Yea. It is easy to do. A computer thing. Like I said my computer guy said he could do it. They must not want to do it.

28-Nov-21
IDK JayD, you tell me. Who controls the release of harvest data ?

28-Nov-21
Oh am I wrong - DNR employees can set up a new program that would allow for all of us to access all this data online?

Guess I was wrong to ask for that at the commission meeting at Cacapon - I will draft an email to DNR personnel this afternoon requesting that.

28-Nov-21
Given the conversaton, I thought some of you may find this interesting--or not. It's a direct quote from the Ohio DNR website and the numbers are similar to other states I've looked at in their archery seasons; 68.25% killled with a crossbow and 31.25% killed with bows.... and archery season harvest is 48% of the entire deer harvest.

I remember when our DNR didn't even consider the archery harvest in their management policies. My, my how the crossbows have changed things.

"The popularity of hunting with archery equipment continues to grow, with 48% of deer taken during the 2020-2021 archery season, including 33% using a crossbow and 15% using a vertical bow. Gun harvest attributed to 52% of the harvest. This includes 22% with shotguns, 21% with straight walled cartridge rifles, 8% with muzzleloaders, and less than 1% with handguns."

28-Nov-21
JayD, I didn’t say you were wrong. I think it would be great along with a lot of other hunters. I’m glad u ask about it actually. You said you always got information in a couple of days . I was thinking maybe you could contact your source and ask why our hunters can’t get real time info like other states

28-Nov-21
1buckurout , that’s exactly what I’m talking about. With archery kills taking so many bucks there’s a point where it will affect reproduction. That’s a basic rule, to sustain a population of deer or for that matter anything they have to be able to breed .

OH gun season always comes in later than ours . Depending on how the calendar month is in any given year the rut is usually still somewhat active and even more bucks may be taken out before breeding whereas in OH the majority of rut is usually over before their gun season comes in

28-Nov-21
Very interesting Jimmy. But we tried to tell em. I know guys here that have never bowhunted in their life and go out and hammer the deer with their crossbow. But as long as everyone participates I guess that is good. Whatever it takes. I don’t have much time left so I will just keep using the longbow. I am sitting in a tree now with my bow while the guys here laugh at me for using a longbow.

28-Nov-21
It’s simple. Just stop the crossbows. But we know that won’t happen. Where I am currently I am not seeing any rut activity

28-Nov-21
It’s simple. Just stop the crossbows. But we know that won’t happen. Where I am currently I am not seeing any rut activity

28-Nov-21
Can’t stop them, they are a legal hunting weapon . Legally , they are a part of archery season . Archery kill numbers are going to have to be watched because it’s buck heavy. They can’t be just considered incidental kills like they were 15-20 years ago when they made up just a small part of overall kill

28-Nov-21
How did they get in archery season? Someone had to vote em in. The same people can vote em out. But remember they want dead deer. Otherwise they would not have been voted in. They wanted more dead deer and bow hunters with vertical bows just were not doing it. Buts it’s like a tax. Once it’s in it’s not leaving. I don’t allow them or rifles on my properties. The deer get thinned out enough from the neighbors

28-Nov-21
How did they get in archery season? Someone had to vote em in. The same people can vote em out. But remember they want dead deer. Otherwise they would not have been voted in. They wanted more dead deer and bow hunters with vertical bows just were not doing it. Buts it’s like a tax. Once it’s in it’s not leaving. I don’t allow them or rifles on my properties. The deer get thinned out enough from the neighbors

28-Nov-21
The legislature made a crossbow season

28-Nov-21
Good gracious - everyone get a grip:

First - once again crossbows are not a part of the bow season - they run concurrent with it. Which means if it becomes an issue they can shorten crossbow season without shortening bow season. I wish they would not include the numbers with archery kills so people would not consider them to be the same! WV has been the only state to get it right and do it this way and not lump it into archery season! I would think a commissioner would know this stuff.

Next please commissioner tell me one season that isn’t buck kill heavy except for antlerless seasons? How many of our surrounding states have an early muzzleloader season or have crossbows that are lumped into their archery seasons? Greg have those early seasons hurt states like OH or Kentucky? This is just more to spread rumors or myths to try to support the lower limit issue.

Again the numbers from our DNR in 2000 before crossbows - our archery kill was 30500+ deer of which about 18,500 were bucks and last year the combined archery and crossbow kill was 31400 of which 19500 were bucks. About 2 or 3 years ago crossbows over took the archery kill by several thousand not for sure of the exact numbers. I was not a crossbow fan as well but I did think we needed a season for them all to their selves thankfully that happen. Again in WV the season can be changed without affect archery!

PA did a study because they were concerned about too many bucks being killed before rifle season but what they found was that crossbows didn’t really bring in new hunters but rifle hunters taking them up.

Guys ya need to chill out and stop the chicken little syndrome- once again our buck harvest has dropped by 60,000 a year!

In my opinion this change to trophy hunting is ruining the sport and is eventually going to destroy it!

28-Nov-21
"Good gracious - everyone get a grip:... Guys ya need to chill out and stop the chicken little syndrome...."

Aside from intentionally being argumentative and sarcastic, I don't have a clue what any of that means. I don't need to chill or get a grip on anything. All I did was post a quote from the Ohio DNR and remark how the crossbows kills have overtaken bow kills. I'm thinking maybe someone else needs to get hold of themselves.

I am curious about something. Does anyone know if there is an estimate of the overall deer population in WV, and if so, what is it compared to what it was say.... 20 years ago?

28-Nov-21
Yes , I know that crossbow and vertical bow are different seasons that run concurrently. The crossbow issue was my very first Commission meeting. IDK if it were true but remember being told that if the vote wasn’t to make them run concurrently then it would likely be addressed in the next legislative session.

IDK if that was true or if it would have happened but that’s what I was told. As of now and since they became legal they are and have been the same season for all practical purposes. I have been asking for 4-5 years for the archery kill to be broken down as vertical bow and crossbow under archery kill in the big game bulletin but as of now it still hasn’t been despite being told twice that it could be done

So even though they are different concurrent seasons I think it would be very hard to separate them or shorten one over the other. NOT IMPOSSIBLE, but very very difficult because 10s and 10s of thousands have been sold and are in use.

So unless there is to be further division in the hunting community I’m just not seeing them being divided. Of course that’s just an opinion but I think it would be very difficult to tell everyone with a crossbow that they have bought that now they can’t use them during part of archery season . Of course I may be wrong . They all could just say ok and not complain to anyone

28-Nov-21
"...They all could just say ok and not complain to anyone"

Always nice to see a little humor in the forum.

:^)

28-Nov-21
1buck - at anytime did I mention you specifically? No my comments were more towards the comments of buck heavy kills, crossbows are part of archery season ( again it runs concurrently), just stop crossbow season - so yea I think some need to get a grip - sorry it offends you but I would rather the truth be told and not just people guessing or assuming the worst of things. And I don’t even hunt with a crossbow. So sorry you have a beef with that.

As to your last question back in the early 2000 I was told by biologist the deer population was anywhere from about 1.25 million to 1.5 million. Then several years ago I was told it was somewhere around 625,000 to 650,000. I would assume that is where it stands since I was last told that it is about keeping the herd numbers stable now. I am sure it is different per county though.

Greg I have several DNR employees that I email and ask for info and it normally takes them a day or two to get back to me. I would assume because they have other job responsibilities and that is why I asked for a more convenient way to get the info like online. Again I would think that would have to get the approval and go ahead by our director and commission - would it not?

As to the trying to say no matter that it is a separate season just because it runs concurrent with archery season and everyone has bought them you will never see it lowered without complaints - seriously? LOL so why even do it the way they did? Back then I went to all of my local legislators- showed them reports from OH and the research done by PA and their concern with too many bucks that might be killed - I know they thought it would be best to keep them a separate season. So I know of no other reason why they would do it the way they did if it were not for if it was ever needed to change the season for whatever reason. Please tell me why you think they did it that way?

28-Nov-21
The legislature can remove it then.

28-Nov-21
I am a little brain dead but when you check a deer in doesn't it ask you what weapon was used. If they crossbows are a separate season then they should not be lumped in with the bow kill. We should be able to tell which weapon was used and show it in real time. That is just basic computer programming. There is a reason they do not have it in real time. Should be rifle, bow and crossbow kills. As Jim showed apparently Ohio separates them

28-Nov-21
JayD, wildlife services controls and reports harvest data. Director and Commission really don’t have anything to do that. I suppose the Director could issue an ultimatum to release real time harvest data but that’s really in wildlife territory. Personally, I would like to see it done. I think the public has a right to see it and would like to see it. A small disclaimer at the bottom could simply state that numbers could change after review because mistakes can happen when checking in a deer, but the numbers are usually low. I think people would understand and accept that. By keeping it secret just adds to more suspicion and conspiracy theories.

In the above post I said separating them would not be impossible but I do think it would be very difficult to do .

What are u going to cut? October, November?

28-Nov-21
JR the past few years normally when the DNR puts out the deer harvest numbers they have said what the total archery kill was and how many were crossbow kills.

Again it would be nice if we could follow the kill in almost real time -but as of now it is not available to get a weekly or daily report.

Yes it would be easy but for some reason our DNR does not provide us with that. I have asked for a couple of years and did so at the commission meeting.

Again I don’t think the DNR could do this without the approval of our director and commission - that is the reason I requested it at the meeting. After I said that in an earlier post though Greg started to ask me questions about who releases the harvest info. Which I am sure are our DNR biologist and techs - my question is how or by what mode do our biologist and techs have to be able to report the info?

Seriously I have no idea who is to be questioned on this matter - I would think a program needs to be put into place and approved. I would think that whoever runs the DNR website would need to look into this as well.

28-Nov-21
Greg - the choice shouldn’t be mine nor yours even as a commissioner- it should be that of our biologist if they thought it was needed for whatever reason. Wouldn’t you agree?

Once again you are the one saying that too many are being killed before the rut. I think the numbers don’t jive with what you are saying.

I also don’t think what has happened in surrounding states with crossbows or early muzzleloading seasons jive with what you are saying.

Heck I believe KY brings in their rifle season before the rut? At least I thought I saw that - I could be wrong.

28-Nov-21
The Commission has nothing to do with when game harvest numbers are released. The states you mentioned have a 1 buck limit which makes a difference and limits number of deer killed.

JayD, what part of enough animals being able to breed before they are killed do you not understand? How many biology classes did u take in college?

The ability to reproduce before an animal is killed is one of the basic tenets of wildlife biology, if not then we would have a gobbler season that came in in March.

28-Nov-21
Greg- I haven’t been saying the commission says when the info can be released but wouldn’t they or the director have to approve any new systems or how the info is released? So once again since you want to place the blame on our biologist and other DNR employees let me try to make what I am saying clearer. Are you saying that whoever is responsible for gathering and reporting the harvest data - they could go out tomorrow and setup an online system for anyone of us to go to and access all of this data? This person or people could do so all on their own without any approval by the director or the commission? So our DNR has an employee who can setup the software program that would make all this data available to us? We have this system all lined up so it wouldn’t be hacked or anything else but there are just some biologist who want this stuff to remain hidden? I am trying really hard to hold my tongue here any not go sarcastic as well and ask what classes you have had - but I will just wait for you provide the proof that all these bucks are being shot and it is hurting the reproductive period for our deer herd. If all of this is happening it sounds like we need some major changes all the way from the top down in the DNR! I will be anxiously awaiting your proof this is happening.

Amazing all of this is happening in WV yet I am seeing big buck after big buck across the state of WV posted on pages all over Facebook.

So far from what I have been shown by some numbers looks like TN trophy entree numbers have dropped over the past few after lowering their limit but from what I was shown WV trophy entrees has increased - I believe WV went thru the same pandemic- I said that so someone can’t come on here and say you can’t use TN numbers because of the pandemic. Once I get this big work project completed- I wanna take some time so I can verify the numbers for myself.

Also have you gotten permission yet to show us the letter from the commission chief yet? The report from the TN Biologist about soils and antler growth - comparing TN and even PA to those Midwest state and how the soil makes a difference. Sort of seems strange that it came out now - if lowering the limit was making such a huge difference why do a report that says antler growth just won’t compare to the states with better soil.

Let me get this straight so now we have all these bucks getting killed before they have the opportunity to breed - then we have seasons that happen after some bucks have lost their antlers and they get killed as antlerless. Just sounds like the sky is falling to me - should we even be hunting at all?

28-Nov-21
I don't know much about all of that or who is responsible for it but I do know that it can be done. Real easy. Not sure why it is not.

28-Nov-21
“So unless there is to be further division in the hunting community I’m just not seeing them being divided. Of course that’s just an opinion but I think it would be very difficult to tell everyone with a crossbow that they have bought that now they can’t use them during part of archery season . Of course I may be wrong . They all could just say ok and not complain to anyone”

So with this kind of thinking as a commissioner- shouldn’t you forget about lowering the limit? I mean there are hunters out there who don’t think the limit should be lowered and why divide the hunting community anymore? How can you tell all these people who have been buying their extra tags and those who do harvest extra bucks that they can no longer be doing it? LOL

29-Nov-21
IDK where the cutoff is as to what percentage would have to be before reproduction was affected but it’s something I am concerned about . I’m not saying it’s there yet, I honestly don’t know but it’s something that’s going to have to be watched closely .

I do know that if 35-39% of gobblers were killed in the spring before breeding that would very likely affect reproduction . I do know I’m seeing more and more crossbow kills every year. They have as much right to hunt with crossbows as anyone with any legal weapon . I do know the archery/crossbow kill is buck heavy and with the efficiency and distance of the newer crossbows I don’t see that trend declining.

The buck kill in 2020 was 38,785 , the archery/ crossbow kill in 2020 was 31,594 and was buck heavy. You do the math .

I think it would be foolish not to be looking at that. I had other commissioners expressing the same concern to me at last meeting .

JayD, this is copied and pasted from a previous post.

I said IDK what the number is but it needs to be watched.

Protecting a resource is different than setting a limit that will actually improve the resource.

The first priority is protecting a resource. Limits can change. Our deer limit has varied from 1-2-3-5 .

I’m talking WV not TN. But since you have a TN fixation it’s my understanding is that Covid affected shows in TN and other states where deer are normally scored the last couple of years . But I don’t really care .

So , You think a minority should control what the majority want on a situation that has no negative effect on a population?

The bucks that have been killed in WV this year look like they haven’t had any problem with the soil. It looks like they got a couple years older because of buck kills about 15-20 thousand less each of the last 2 years than DNR projected. When bucks don’t get killed they get older and bigger. That doesn’t take a biology degree to figure out .

Whoever is feeding you the soil argument may be wrong . I think there will be some data coming out from UT in the next couple of years that will put that old argument to rest. With the exception of states like Iowa, Illinois, and those in deep Midwest.

Blaming soil for not managing deer the way the majority of hunters want deer to be managed is a disservice to the hunters .

I went back and found the e-mail from the Chief TN game Commissioner. At that time he gave me permission to release it to the director and other commissioners. I’m not going to contact him 2+ years later and ask him to release it online .

And no, to my knowledge the commission has never been consulted on which type of computer programming is used by the DNR

The DNR just introduced a new website a couple of months ago . The DNR is a division of the commerce department. So yes, DNR has ability to set up any type of software program they want. They just did. The data comes in at real time , it wouldn’t take Zuckerberg to figure out how to release it in real time but yet it isn’t . Doesn’t that seem at least a little odd to you ?

29-Nov-21
So have our biologist - (you know the ones our director called some of the best in the world) ever expressed concern that we are killing to many bucks with any weapon? Or do you think they are just ignoring any signs of it?

As to the email from the chief TN commissioner - you were the one who said you were going to contact him about the email - so don’t try to make this about anyone else trying to get you to do something. Seems it’s just something else you start talking about but then it has to remain secretive. As to the release of the info - pretty sure the director explained to me and the rest of the people in attendance at the meeting that they don’t like to release the info until they are sure everything is tallied and gone over and it takes time. So I am going to play your game and do what you do to me - are you saying the director is not on top of things or doing his job regarding this?

So going to try to ask one more time - you are saying that DNR employees could establish a online program to report all data and allow access to the public without the approval of the director or commissioners?

You have your little paragraph there that says all the things you do know - and you try to make it seem that the archery buck kill has just exploded since 2000 up until last year - again facts are it has went up by about 1,000 - just want to remind you that the rifle buck harvest has decreased by 60,000.

Oh I do believe you are going to get your wish and the limit will be reduced - I just think it’s sad that under this direction we have lost 2 state park hunts - more than likely the limit will be lowered and hunting opportunities are being lost.

29-Nov-21
JayD, any decision about the buck limit will be based on the commission listening to the will and majority of the public. Do I think it would be a good thing ? Yes I do. But it would never happen if the majority of hunters didn’t want it which is how it should be regardless of how I feel about it .

For the nth time, the Commission has nothing to do with releasing harvest numbers. Could the director get involved? Probably, but I think he leaves that up to the discretion of the wildlife chief. I personally would like to see real time data and I don’t understand why we don’t . It’s not like nuclear launch codes. I like to keep up on harvest numbers but I have to call and get them. It would be more convenient to log onto the ELS system and see them.

I think the director has opened up a number of park hunts that were not opened before. There would likely be more options if someone hadn’t have worked against him behind his back on opening one. Park hunts are designed to reduce the deer herd in parks that are over carrying capacity. They change from year to year based on population. One may be open for a couple of years then closed a couple of years then opened again . They’re based on needs for that year, they’re not permanent hunts. There’s more push back against them than you realize because they’re in a park .

Yes , I have had a few biologists and commission members express concern that a lot of bucks are being killed prior to the rut. And as I have stated 3 times now, IDK at what point that becomes an issue but I think it needs to be followed closely because it is buck heavy. It shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone that buck season is buck heavy and that doe season is doe heavy .

In the 7+ years I’ve been to every commission meeting in person. And a lot more before that. I think I’ve seen you at 2, and both have been at Cacapon which is in your back yard. I think I have a pretty good handle on what goes on and is discussed at the meetings. I know who shows up and who doesn’t and I listen to the concerns and opinions of those that do speak .

Biologists hadn’t approached me about allowing youth to use #8 and #9 TSS in youth gobbler season . Biologists hadn’t approached me about the inability for youth to use a handheld bow during youth spring gobbler season either. I approached them on both issues and let them know of the problem and both problems got fixed. All ideas, concerns, and opinions don’t have to be thought of and brought up for them to be valid concerns . That is one of the functions of the Commission. To listen to peoples concerns, complaints, opinions, and try to act on them if they are reasonable, biologically sound, and fiscally responsible.

It is not to only listen to biologists and rubber stamp everything they say. They play a huge role but it’s not the only role. The public has an input and again is why the Commission was initially formed.

Would you want an agency that you fund voluntary to operate without any public input ? I sure wouldn’t.

Regardless of what anyone thinks this isn’t about me winning anything or someone losing anything. It’s about the majority of citizens getting input into how they want their deer managed

29-Nov-21
For the nth time - I am not saying that the commission has anythhing to do when it comes to releasing the info at least the way it is done now.

What I have asked is - you are saying that whatever department that takes care of tallying the numbers - on their own they can go to the DNR website and open up a new section that the public would be able to access and get all the harvest information and they can do this without having to get the approval of the director or commission? If this is true then I wasted my time asking at the commission meeting. I am just going to send an email to the the guys I normally send my email to and request they do so then.

So does the majority get to tell us what the speed limit is set at? I could make a silly list up of a number of things - just because there is a majority doesn’t always make it so.

I still think our DNR has done a great job - they have opened up trophy areas across the state and I look for more to be open. So it’s not like they have been ignoring anyone. And I think it is a pitiful time when our director and biologist are saying the only thing lowering the limit to 2 will ONLY do is give a perception that something is being done when it will actually have no effect whatsoever. That’s the problem with letting surveys and polls shape the direction instead of just doing the right thing.

29-Nov-21
There are many considerations into highway speeds. Safety, accident rates, and death rates are some of them. I’m not sure how you think that applies to buck limit.

What everyone is forgetting or failing to mention is the paragraph from the first white paper the DNR did on reducing the buck limit. That was the sociological impact that reducing the buck limit would likely have. And again for the 3rd time that is likely to be the most important, after all hunters are people. It’s worked in pretty much every other state, I don’t see where it wouldn’t be the same here . That paper was written before the current director was there. He may not be aware of it. It was written before I was there and I don’t have a copy of it but did see it. Maybe your buddy can get you a copy of it

Back in 1933, the legislature and Governor saw and recognized the need for a game and fish commission to oversee the DNR and give the public a voice . I think it was a wise decision then and still think it is .

29-Nov-21
Whatever is decided it can't lose money.

30-Nov-21
I bet anything that if Paul Johansen wanted numbers to be released in real time, it would happen. Others states do it and even have comparisons from previous years. Unfortunately, wr are very slow to release information.

Other states have a lower limit and their one crossbow kill ends their season for bucks. WV hunters get three crossbow kills and then more seasons.

Yes, crossbow and bow are concurrent but good luck if you think crossbow season will be shortened, regardless of harvest data.

30-Nov-21
I am still waiting to see trail cam pics of all these trophy bucks. I am talking trophy bucks. 150 or more. There may be some taken each year but nothing like the midwest. You can do all the management you want and it will not happen statewide. Too many neighbors kill em after all the hard work. Or worse yet poachers . I was doing all that stuff too a few years ago but it was a waste of time because my properties were not big enough to hold them. So now I go where all the properties have big bucks and I kill the spikes. ummm ummm good. LOL

30-Nov-21
JR, if u want to see them u need to get on FB. There’s been a few taken this year . Due to low harvests last couple of years there’s been some really good bucks taken. That’s what happens when deer get another couple years to live. Everyone knows WV is not going to produce large numbers of top end bucks every year but it’s absolutely capable of producing good numbers of 130-150 deer every year.

30-Nov-21
This year proves we have genetics and nutrition. Just need age. That was largely.provided by back to back, two of the three lowest gun harvest of the past 40+ years.

30-Nov-21
I’ve read through this and I must be missing the point. What would anybody do with the real time numbers the day of. Is it that important to the outdoorsman to have it or wait a week or two after the season to get them.

Is there a management advantage I’m missing or what?

30-Nov-21
I don’t think there is any management advantage. I think it’s just people wanting information. Today with a few pecks with the finger people can see what’s going on anywhere in the world at that moment. I think it’s just wanting to stay informed. People want information . It’s what people like to talk about during deer season, gobbler season, etc.

More and more people are distrustful of any area of government. Holding information just makes that worse in my opinion . People like transparency .

30-Nov-21
why can't you post your pics on here? I don't get on Meta. I am afraid they will cancel me. LOL

30-Nov-21
I am old school but do like technology. I still write checks. LOL. I sure wouldn't accuse anyone in the government of anything but it seems to me that showing them day to day would keep the government from doctoring them. How do we really know how many deer are killed?

30-Nov-21
I see your points but with that said you could manipulate day to day data like you would two weeks worth. I don’t know I just believe that the money spent on software and a person maintaining the programs to appease us could be spent otherwise wisely. This is a great conversation. I think the old thought process that a poacher is going to poach applies in essence here. A government entity that’s going to lie well it’s going to lie. So if wv dnr is secretive and liers then they’ll continue to be. I personally doubt they are or do. Now let’s look at it this way of state did do a daily report where would it stop. Once people got this I can hear it now. Set the program up to break it down by districts or by county what’s the reason well we want it.

30-Nov-21
They’re not mine. I haven’t seen anything I want to kill. It’s other people on FB

30-Nov-21
I’m not saying or implying they are lying. But in todays climate with most people not trusting government I think the more transparency the better. It would take a little bit of software code writing then it would work automatically. Sort of like signing in to your account and being able to see everything you’ve checked in since the ELS system started

30-Nov-21
If something like this were to ever get started - I hope some thought is put forth and it would be more than just showing us how many were killed. I think it would be nice if you could see how many were killed in a specific WMA. It takes money though to design such a program and then maintain - I still don’t think this is something that the department which record the data could do with out approval.

30-Nov-21

01-Dec-21
Hunters should have access to harvest info my county, wma, etc. It's public knowledge and education is always a good thing. And we have not been getting info a week or two after season. Last year's gun harvest numbers came very late.

01-Dec-21
At the commission meeting when asked for a better way to access the data such as online - the director explained that they wait until the heritage season is over and then it’s gone over for mistakes. Pretty sure that there are some people who go about other ways to check in other than online. To me it seemed he insinuated that not many work on it so it takes time.

I could careless on the timing as long as it is reasonable but it would be better than having to locate or ask for a big game bulletin. Be nice to get the real info instead of a bunch of rumors and falsehoods being spread.

01-Dec-21
Oh one thing that was proven this season - people can be pleased with the nice bucks being taken even with a 3 buck limit.

Listened to a interesting podcast by the Meathunter - believe it was episode 184. Talking to 2 biologist from QDMA/NDA. It’s long though - thankfully I could listen it while I was working. The part where qdm turns into trophy management was EXTREMELY interesting.

01-Dec-21
You 100% willfully, overlook the fact that we have had back to back, two of the three worst gun season harvests in forty plus years.

If it was because of a three buck limit, I would think it would have taken place shortly after it was initiated in 2005. Not sixteen years later?? You are simply riding the coattails of a low buck harvest trying to correlate it with what you want to prove.

We have genetics, nutrition, and habitat. We proved what we have if given age.

01-Dec-21
Got it. I was just wondering where all these pics were of the 150 or better class deer on cameras .

01-Dec-21
I totally forgot about the mountain heritage season slowing release of harvest numbers. Good catch. Again everyone is given access to the harvest info. If I’m not mistaken irs published in dnr news releases and usually if I’m not mistaken it’s published in outdoor news section of metro news and Charleston gazette. I’m not sure as it currently goes you have to report if it’s a wma or national forest but county is. I guess there must be more people in need of that info than I figured. Not sure how that makes them a better hunter or more successful. But I’ve been wrong before

01-Dec-21
I am not the one overlooking anything - you completely are though - you are saying this stuff but completely ignore this has happen with a 3 buck limit. I am not saying the 3 buck limit caused it to happen but it sure didn’t prevent it from happening now did it?

01-Dec-21
So you are saying the three buck limit didn't prevent the two lowest buck kills in the last 40 plus years??????

01-Dec-21
Are you saying the 3 buck limit has caused the harvest to be lower?????

01-Dec-21
I wouldn't put too much stock in where people tell you they kill their deer. I tell them I kill mine on Greg's land. LOL

01-Dec-21
If so few people kill 3 bucks that is not the reason the buck kill is low.

02-Dec-21
So are you saying the three buck limit causes low harvest, but only years after initiation?

02-Dec-21
LOL I am saying that the results you have seen the last several years has happened with a 3 buck limit in place. That we are seeing some really nice bucks right now even though 3 buck limit is in place. You’ll all say it can’t happen guess what it has happened. You say it’s taken so many years for the 3 buck limit to show any results? Hasn’t the buck harvest dropped gradually by 60,000 over the last 18 to 20 years or did all of a sudden we go from 100,000 to 38,000 is that what you are saying?

So why do you think the harvest has dropped by 60,000 over the last 18 to 20 years? And why the lower harvest the past 2 years? Can’t wait to hear your reply!

I think our DNR is one of the few who have planned it right. They haven’t went to the extreme and lowered the limit to where peta would be happy. They make money off of people buying extra tags even though very few actually use them. It benefits us all - I am sure the money has went into helping wildlife as well. They have thought of all hunters - they have provided trophy areas and are even adding more, But for some reason some people just can’t be happy.

02-Dec-21
{{{"...So why do you think the harvest has dropped by 60,000 over the last 18 to 20 years?..."}}}

{{{"...early 2000 I was told by biologist the deer population was anywhere from about 1.25 million to 1.5 million. Then several years ago I was told it was somewhere around 625,000 to 650,000..."}}}

If your numbers are correct, that alone would account for a drop of 43% to 50% in the buck kill of what it was 20 years ago. So... what was the buck kill 20 years ago?

02-Dec-21
1buckurout, you’re confusing the issue with math and common sense :^)

02-Dec-21
Sorry working - off the top of my head the rifle buck harvest was pushing 100,000 and according to the the DNR the archery buck harvest was like 18,500. I think that is pretty close.

Last year rifle buck harvest was 38000 and archery buck harvest was 19,500.

Again around a 60,000 decrease over about 20 years.

Greg - I think some really don’t have a concept of math anymore.

02-Dec-21
So JayD, you don’t think the deer herd dropping from 1.5 million to around 650,000 has anything to do with the buck harvest decreasing ?

02-Dec-21
Jayd, You keep mentioning that the buck harvest has dropped 60,000 in the last 20 years, which would be 2001. Buck limit dropped in 2005 so are you saying lowering limits does indeed lead to less bucks being taken?

02-Dec-21
So Greg - please tell where you get that assumption from?

So let me ask you a question do you think it has led to a decline in hunters as well?

You know Cory why don’t we just drop it to zero - seems like that would be the only number you would be happy with.

I am saying we are at the perfect medium.

LOL and you all try to say I twist words. Unbelievable! Still working right now but a little later going to bring out some more numbers for you to ponder on as well.

Commissioner just saw your comment about me being fixated on TN - funny how whenever you bring up something about another state it’s perfectly fine - when I do I am fixated. Again just too much …

02-Dec-21
JayD, you had mentioned TN something like 6 times. You said you had new info from TN. Maybe that’s why I said it , IDK

If the deer herd dropped from 1.5 million to 650,000 and the buck harvest dropped during that same time period am I stretching it a bit too far to assume there may be some correlation between the 2 events ?

02-Dec-21
JayD, you had mentioned TN something like 6 times. You said you had new info from TN. Maybe that’s why I said it , IDK if that offended you I’m sorry

If the deer herd dropped from 1.5 million to 650,000 and the buck harvest dropped during that same time period am I stretching it a bit too far to assume there may be some correlation between the 2 events ?

02-Dec-21
Jayd,

Don't try to make your argument into me being for a zero buck limit. Don't try to misconstrue people's position to fit your argument.

02-Dec-21
Once again - you two do exactly what you accuse me of doing but since it’s you it’s ok.

I actually know why the limit dropped - reason I gave a DNR a passing grade and not an F.

The only reason I brought TN up was because of you all. You do this stuff and either try to hide from the fact that you have brought them into the picture or have forgotten you’ve done it. Then you want to say the other person is wrong for bringing up the numbers on that state.

So Cory - would you say a 60,000 drop over the past 18 to 20 years is pretty drastic? I would - just curious as to what you think. And yes I would say it’s because the adjust by our DNR for both bucks and does has resulted in this.

I haven’t had a bunch of time but while looking something up I saw an article about the first day of rifle season kill for this year - I believe it was around 11,000 - lower than last years which I think was a little over 12,000. So I am thinking we will probably be a little under last years rifle buck kill.

So you seem very happy that the harvest has been low here the past 2 years. Probably going to happen again this year. So why the need to lower buck limit even more since what is going on now is apparently working?

So buck kill with rifle, bow and crossbow last year was around 58,000 - so apparently that is too much - what are you expecting the number to be if or when it drops to 2 buck limit? Seriously I just want to know where you all think the buck harvest should be.

• Sitka Gear