Big Dog 28-Nov-21
BBB 06-Dec-21
nehunter 06-Dec-21
nehunter 06-Dec-21
Big Dog 06-Dec-21
BBB 06-Dec-21
26-Nov-21

nehunter's Link
I have written before here that there is no way you can eliminate your scent. Plus this proves that cover scents do not work. My friend is our local PD K9 officer and is a big hunter.

Deer and Bears have nose's similar if not better than dogs.

So don't waste your money on cover scents or eliminator clothes.

https://youtu.be/CNtZ5Iz4fCI

26-Nov-21
I saw this recently. Agree 100 percent. Absolutely can not fool the nose of a deer.

If the wind blows your scent towards a deer's nose, it will smell you.

26-Nov-21
I couldn't agree more. Scent control clothes and sprays are great marketing gimmicks, but I always play the wind direction, that's the only true scent control there is.

26-Nov-21
Anyone who owns a bird dog knows. I’m still amazed at my dogs nose after 4 seasons. Never forget the time we were walking a ridge and 30 yards away and at the bottom was a blow down pine tree. She stopped dead whipped her head to side and ran straight for the pine and out comes a rooster just awesome.

26-Nov-21
I think the best the scent control products can do is to weaken the signal - make you smell like you’re farther away than you are.

I’m sure they have a sense of how strength of scent equates to danger. I also think they may have a scent map of their territory in their heads. For example, if you’re set up near the only apple tree in the area and they smell you and they smell apples, they will probably steer clear of that apple tree…

That’s an easy example, but I always wonder how well they can tell where we are based on all the other scents that arrive surrounding our own….

26-Nov-21
I have a trail camera video of a buck smelling my scent around the camera and backed up and screwed. It never came back

Another time a Trophy Buck was standing in front of my camera and caught it staring at me walking in. I saw it bounding away and looked at SD card and wished I was 30 minutes earlier.

BTW - it never ever came back. I scared it totally off the piece I was hunting..

26-Nov-21
Thats a cool video. I agree that wind direction is paramount. I have mixed feelings about scent control products though. I avoid using detergents with added scent or UV brighteners because I dont want to go into the woods with extra scent or visibility. Kind of like being in a room with a person who wears too much cologne. Not sure the sprays do too much

I had a patient years ago who trained search and rescue dogs. He said our body constantly sheds millions of dead skin cells called “raft”, which is like an invisible trail of confetti behind us. Bacteria break down the skin cells and create different odors over time. Not to mention we are breathing, burping and farting… some more than others.

This guy said they locate bodies in frozen rivers by chopping a hole in the ice and letting the dog smell the water in it. They then keep moving up stream and repeating until the scent goes cold. Then close in on the body. Very fascinating.

26-Nov-21
Over the years I've considered every step I make getting ready to hunt, and wonder if the deer can smell: water with fluoride, wife's soap and shampoo on my feet in the shower, the detergent used to wash the towel I dried myself with, the foot spray on the floor from yesterday, the pizza debris on my cellphone, the fabric softener on my bed sheets, the hair gel on the hair brush I used, the sweat on the seat of my truck, etc, etc, etc.

The answer is yes to all of them, so I basically stink to a deer when I head into the woods. So will any spray or scentlok clothing fool a deer's nose???

26-Nov-21
My pup found a pheasant who buried herself under a rock 2 weeks ago. The best cover scent I ever used was to gather branches brush etc....in the area I was hunting and put it in a non scented bag with my hunting clothes.

26-Nov-21
Speaking of what the dogs are capable of….

My wife’s cousin trains SAR/Cadaver dogs… and she said that in SW Co, they were finding dead Spaniards.

So….

26-Nov-21
Corax - are you serious??? That freakin amazing if true.

26-Nov-21
Walked down a path one day to my stand and a beagle that had been where I parked followed me all the way to the stand. So much for the rubber boot covering scent theory.

26-Nov-21
I don’t think the sprays work or the scentlok clothes. But I do wash my clothes in free n clear detergent and use scent free fabric softener. I don’t think rubber boots mask anything but I wear them regularly anyways because most of the areas I go there’s standing water or deep mud. I’m pretty skeptical about the ozonics stuff. All of it. I think it’s just a waste of hundreds of dollars.

26-Nov-21
BBB - she’s a very credible person and something of an overachiever, so I know she’s gone after it hammer & tongs. And she has no reason to lie to me, so I’m inclined to believe her.

Not so much that I’d believe her if she told me she’d seen a Sasquatch, but overachiever Labradors I can swallow.

27-Nov-21
I agree - cover scents are a gimmick - I wash a let sit outside and put in bag - an old timer mentioned years ago when in woods kick up fresh dirt rub on clothes and boots. Best cover scent ever-

27-Nov-21
Like someone said - a good dog is amazing to watch!!

27-Nov-21
John Eberhart got a little testy when after one of his vids someone commented about the futility of being scentless. Eberhart now admits to being on the Scent-Loc pro staff.

28-Nov-21
Corax, the Spaniard seeking dogs could be worth their weigh in gold, LOL.

28-Nov-21
It's pretty safe to say, cover scents and anti odor clothing will not stop or confuse Deer, maybe hide some odor but not enough to hunt upwind.

Cover Scents are a waste of money, if you watched the video the K9 trainer said animals smell all odors equally. Humans smell the strongest odor and it overrides the lesser.

My friend who's a K9 cop said during training they proved this by hiding an opioid pill bottle inside a peanut butter jar filled with chunky. Dog instantly found it, no hesitation.

28-Nov-21
ne I dunno; my grand dog loves peanut butter. That could have been the attraction lol.

06-Dec-21
This past Saturday I went out without taking a shower with my scent free soap and I left on my normal deodorant, powder, etc,.... so absolutely no attempt to reduce my scent. The wind was nearly calm, but a slight breeze from the west and the deer normally come from the north or south, sometimes the east but only if pushed by someone.

I saw a doe with her fawn and a third deer, a big doe, stayed in front of me at 30 yards for 30 minutes, feeding. Will I continue to use some level of scent control, yup. Will ALWAYS hunt the wind, yup.

06-Dec-21

nehunter's embedded Photo
nehunter's embedded Photo
BBB, Saturday was a high pressure day. My scent was rising straight up, milk weed actually rose when I released it.

I had 12 Deer surrounding me for 1 hour about 7:30. Not one blew at me or caught my scent.

Amazing hunt, 9 Does and 3 Bucks all together. Videos of a 10 pt rubbing a sapling and them browsing for a long time.

The leader of the pack went in the back of my truck. She weighed 153#, donated to a happy landowner. I'm sure she's blew at me many times over the year's. It was pretty cool how they wouldn't leave, she ran the pack for probably year's.

06-Dec-21
Compare the 1957 Savage 99 to the size of her body and Head. I was out of Buck tag's and really enjoyed shooting my Dad's first rifle.

06-Dec-21
That Savage is awesome. 1957 =deer hunting and doo wap.

06-Dec-21
That is a BIG doe Steve, congrats on what sounds like an exciting hunt.

• Sitka Gear