BBB 01-Dec-21
Toonces 01-Dec-21
2Wild Bill 01-Dec-21
ARLOW 01-Dec-21
BBB 01-Dec-21
Brian M. 01-Dec-21
BBB 01-Dec-21
27-Nov-21
I thought it was going to be a good morning hunt, I was wrong. Saw a buck crossing the road about 1/4 mile from my parking spot (great) and saw 3 beds on the way in (good). Got set up by 6am and around 7am saw a doe moving behind me, going away. Around 7:30 I see orange in the distance and thought it was an upland game hunter (Wrong). About 20 minutes go by and 7 deer come busting out to my north (where the orange was last seen) and a doe and fawn walk right under my tree, the rest headed off to the east. I was in a thick area in a valley, so the wind was not an issue. Got down at 8am, disgusted with the deer being pushed out of the area and headed to the north to see where they came from and found another deer hunter in a tree right where the deer came from (Mr Orange). Someone got a late start and blew up my hunt. The deer where right where I thought they would be, in the thick stuff in a protected valley, but never expected another hunter to show up, first time in a long time I've seen another in this area. Oh well.

27-Nov-21
That sucks. On the bright side your intuition was right about the spot you picked. On an even brighter note, mr orange didn’t shoot you!

27-Nov-21
I probably would have picked off the doe out of sheer frustration!

27-Nov-21
Bummer

27-Nov-21
"saw a doe moving behind me, going away"

Maybe first push was yours?

27-Nov-21
“ Got set up by 6am and around 7am saw a doe moving behind me, going away.”

Maybe, if it was a fickle wind….. otherwise that seems like a pretty delayed response….

27-Nov-21
Everything, except for old bucks, get a pass from me. The doe that moved away from behind me was in my down wind, so definitely got my scent since she was south of me and the wind was from the north, you know, where all the deer were before Johnny come lately walked in? It was still good to get out after being laid up for so long. It's all part of hunting state land, so stop your whining BBB.

27-Nov-21
BBB, you’re an orange blob too out there now. We all gotta wear it on the ground. Glad you saw something.

27-Nov-21
BBB, you’re an orange blob too out there now. We all gotta wear it on the ground. Glad you saw something.

27-Nov-21
I had pumpkin head push deer to me once- I just out earlier than they and it was to my advantage

27-Nov-21
Blood - I'm not saying I have, or I would, or I might, but when I walk into the woods in the dark, no one can see colors unless there's a moon or some other ambient light. And with a flashlight in hand, I think orange is far less effective than a flashlight in the dark for visibility to others.

And I always wondered this - if I'm walking out, no arrow nocked, not looking for deer, am I hunting? Why aren't hikers, bikers, dog walkers, skippers, hoppers, etc required to wear orange in the woods for safety? Are they less at risk because they're not carrying a weapon? Hmmmm?

27-Nov-21
No knocked arrow equals not hunting.

27-Nov-21
Hunting implements on your person means we all wear orange unless you’re a landowner. The deer can’t see it. People can. Take it off once you’re 10’ up a tree. You could wear a Santa suit and still kill deer. You can’t go crying about a guy wearing orange when you should be wearing it yourself.

And how do you think that other hunter felt seeing you crunching around him during prime time? Cmon, you were just as bad walking all around in that tiny area. He’s probably posting on bowsite about the guy walking around……I would feel very fortunate you saw some deer. Congrats again.

27-Nov-21

Coondog's embedded Photo
Coondog's embedded Photo
They can’t require it, but they encourage it.

27-Nov-21
At least you got out of the house Bob. That’s a victory in itself.

27-Nov-21
“ They can’t require it, but they encourage it.”

That’s kind of an odd thing, isn’t it? I mean, on the one hand… It’s a good idea and commonsensical…

And on the other hand doesn’t it sort of feed into the narrative that it’s dangerous to go into the woods when there are hunters out there because we are dumb enough to shoot you? And so, of course, that’s furthering the argument in favor of the ban on Sunday hunting for public land… Which is not really my favorite. Not that I’ve managed to get out at all anyway… At least I’m fully licensed for that big pot of tag soup on the back of the stove….

28-Nov-21

nehunter's embedded Photo
nehunter's embedded Photo
I had a similar situation Saturday. I'm on private land that abuts State land and 3 guys walking their golden retriever walks through the field into the woods where I was. Well the dog followed my track's to my stand and wouldn't leave. The guys were walking around private yelling for the dog at prime time.

Well he would not leave me.

So I gave him a ride home in my truck. Gave the guy a long talking too, no orange, trespassing, no leash.

Ruined my 5 hour sit.

28-Nov-21
Corax - I never thought of the idea that the orange requirement is reinforcing the idea that hunting is dangerous to the general public.

I remember years ago I was leaving the bird hunting area on RT72 (Bristol watershed) and while driving down the road a rooster pheasant came out of the woods and began running down the center of the road right at my car, hunting dog behind him, and then the hunter pop outs and the bird takes off over my car, and the guy shoots at the bird right over my car!! Should require orange cars only during the hunting season, especially since I had a shotgun in my possession.

28-Nov-21
"They can’t require it, but they encourage it."

RI requires at the least, an orange hat be worn by anyone using state land during hunting season.

30-Nov-21
"And on the other hand doesn’t it sort of feed into the narrative that it’s dangerous to go into the woods when there are hunters out there because we are dumb enough to shoot you"

That is an incredibly short sighted and incomplete argument. Safety Orange is not necessarily about identifying as a human short range. Yes there is some value in being Identified instantly as "not a deer" But there is far more to it than that.

It is more about being identified as a human long range or partially obstructed by brush or something. It is about someone aiming at a deer in front of them and catching a glimpse of orange farther downrange that dictates that the shot at the deer closer to you is not safe to take.

30-Nov-21
Good point!

30-Nov-21
But I think we were talking about orange on bow hunting only areas, so there really isn't any long range shots to worry about. I hate to say it, but some hunter will shoot at the bird/deer no matter what you're wearing. Bristol F&G several years - I was hunting there when one guy shot his buddy in the nuts, both wearing the required orange. The EMT guys dragged him out of the woods on a stretcher and said he was lucky, the bird shot didn't break through his canvas pants, so it was just like a good kick to the groin. So much for orange=safety. I wear it, but I still use a flashlight while walking in/out in the dark.

01-Dec-21
The most important thing in DEEPs wear orange post, is the fact that the dog is in full control by the woman....not running around the woods off leash. I wish DEEP would put up a post about dogs illegally off leash.

01-Dec-21
John - the woke police are calling you because she/he/they are actually getting ready to go upland game hunting, and the dog will be off leash running around your stand, barking at "the thing" in the tree for 30 minutes, or until all of the deer in the area are long gone. Bring some biscuits to make friends ;>)

01-Dec-21
Indeed, it is kind of hard to bird or rabbit hunt behind a leashed dog.

01-Dec-21
Don't forget there are guys with guns that shoot at noises too.

01-Dec-21
BBB, I was responding to this post by Corax....

"“ They can’t require it, but they encourage it.” That’s kind of an odd thing, isn’t it? I mean, on the one hand… It’s a good idea and commonsensical…

And on the other hand doesn’t it sort of feed into the narrative that it’s dangerous to go into the woods when there are hunters out there because we are dumb enough to shoot you? And so, of course, that’s furthering the argument in favor of the ban on Sunday hunting for public land… Which is not really my favorite. Not that I’ve managed to get out at all anyway… At least I’m fully licensed for that big pot of tag soup on the back of the stove…."

Hence the general clarification on why hunter orange is a good thing for everyone.

01-Dec-21
Spring turkey? Varmint hunting? Coyote hunting? So is it just deer hunting with guns that is dangerous? First time I ever thought about this. Interesting.

01-Dec-21
I think it's more dangerous to pheasant hunt. Lots of guys going after same birds in a congested area. It's the only time I've been peppered. Orange didn't seem to matter that day.

01-Dec-21
Brian - I agree 100%! I've had to yell at guys "It's only a bird a**hole!" as they shot over my head or in my direction, especially after my dog flushed the bird while they skirt my flank.

• Sitka Gear