be still 30-Nov-21
Matte 30-Nov-21
Catscratch 30-Nov-21
28-Nov-21

writer's Link

28-Nov-21

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
Article states spot and stalk, only on public land, long bow, a 198 from Kansas.

28-Nov-21

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
Article states spot and stalk, only on public land, long bow, a 198 from Kansas.

28-Nov-21
Never heard of him, but a 198” main frame 10 is pretty danged impressive.

28-Nov-21

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
That was gross score. I think i read it was in the 178" range net.

28-Nov-21
Mike…thx for sharing. Never heard of him. Interesting that he hunts from the ground while not wearing a lick of camo…looks like mostly neutral colors (tan, grey, etc.). Love the pic from the article with him standing next to a KS public land buck hanging from a tree with the donut spare on the back left tire. Our country gravel roads sure eat them “standard” road tires up.

28-Nov-21
Nets are for fishing lol

28-Nov-21
Thanks for sharing Mr. Pearce. Not that I have anything against TV guys...everybody has to figure out how to make a living somehow. But this guy seems humble and down to earth.

28-Nov-21
Legendary. I've found earth colors allow me to get closer to deer. Once they spot you in camo, they seem to freak out more.

28-Nov-21
Assassin, You are correct. Nets are for fishing. Net Scores are for deer and have been since 1902. Can't rewrite almost 120 years of history.

28-Nov-21
Never heard of him, or of that buck, but I agree with the others...and its nice to see an NR that actually hunts!

28-Nov-21
I grabbed a few of his videos 5-6 years ago when that buck made some waves. Those guys were hunting central/western Ks sort of like I did. The tactics, outfits, style of filming and crazy encounters were fun to follow. The story of that buck was pretty intense. Bad first shot, marathon of a search with permissions to look, agreeable landowners, some not so agreeable, and then a wild finish days after as they were about to quit. Some of it seemed a little vague and I think there were some rumors floating around, but the story and hunt itself was pretty wild. Worth the price of admission anyway. He had a couple buddies that were flat characters as well. One struggled to get the spot and stalk thing down time and again. Pretty entertaining. Haven’t kept up with them since. Growing tired of the whole look at me/public land hunting media craze. They could sure bowhunt though.

28-Nov-21
Matte, gross scores are also for deer, no?

28-Nov-21

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
Yes they can be but if you really look at the data the Gross score doesnt mean much. I do not know if you have ever studied B&C or P&Y records so here is a page for anyone to look at.

29-Nov-21
The “net” score... not a fan, personally. I’ve scored a lot of deer, unofficially, and have yet to figure a bucks net score. Don’t care.

29-Nov-21
I have been watching Whitetail Adrenaline for years. I have a lot of their DVDs. They are as aggressive as they come. They use a boat to access A LOT of public land all across the Midwest. If I recall correctly, Jared shot this buck at like 5 yards and was hiding behind a hay bail. They were hunting this buck their entire trip and he finally crossed onto Public. He does all of this on the ground and with a recurve. Very impressive. They offer a lot of great content that is exciting and different to watch than the typical TV hunting show. One of their guys put down a slammer Mulie this year. Not sure what state it was shot in.

29-Nov-21
Michigan 10….was that on their “other” show called Muley Adrenaline? Sorry couldn’t resist.

29-Nov-21
They are good and hunt out of a van which is cool too

29-Nov-21
For you guys that don't like nets, why are you counting that open air between main beams? That sure isn't material!

30-Nov-21
Again it’s personal preference. Personally, I just like to know the deers width. Grown or not, width can be measured, it’s not like it’s pulled out of your back pocket. Should it be included in the score because of the way it sets on its head? Not sure, but I always do. I prefer the P&Y/B&C measuring over all others, just don’t care to know a deers net score. Every deer I score is “very green” and extremely conservative.

I guess I just don’t understand the need for perfection for a net score.

I think there’s a system that has a “composite score” where the width is added for those that like to know.

I’ve seen a mid 160’s” buck with a 13” spread and a high 160’s buck with a 25 1/4” spread. Standing side-by-side I’m not sure which one would capture your desire more or why the score even matters if one does.

30-Nov-21
I’m with Ray...if the deer in the wild grew it naturally then I don’t like taking anything away from it. Started scoring deer a long time ago...I know it’s man made but thought it was a pretty good system to measure horns for my personal self and goals.

Just met a special man though just the other day up in Kansas though. I was standing there and holding the horns of a deer he had shot days earlier. Asked him what he thought it would score...he humbly said he didn’t know but he could probably look up how to do it.

I thought later I know this guy really likes that deer no matters what it scores and if he was willing to learn how just to satisfy me then I have probably let myself get a little carried away with the scoring thing.

30-Nov-21
It just sets a precedent for me and others that like an official score. Does it matter in the field heck no. A big deer is a big deer.

30-Nov-21
I've never cared much about scores on any of the deer I've shot... but the day I shoot something over 200 I'll probably care a lot.

I had never heard of these guys but based on the article I like them.

• Sitka Gear