MjF 30-Nov-21
Pete-pec 30-Nov-21
Casekiska 30-Nov-21
Milwroad 30-Nov-21
myronman3 30-Nov-21
Trickle rut 01-Dec-21
Live2Hunt 01-Dec-21
29-Nov-21
I am reflecting on my inability to fill my rifle tag this season. As usual, opening day was a ton of shots. A few on Sunday, and then not much. This is on public land that sees fairly light pressure all year, some grouse hunters, a bit of crossbows that first week of november, but not enough to really spook all the deer, but it gets beyond hammered during gun season as people usually are hunting in very large groups of 5-10+ people and systematically surround all the swamps, transitions, etc and make a ton of disturbance walking around on the Friday before the opener.

I am trying to refine my strategy for next year.

A question I'd like to pose - do you think the bucks relocate to unpressured areas or do you think the deer are in the same areas, but just aren't venturing far from bedding or are only moving after dark? For the record I am looking for any buck, an older one is just a bonus.

If they do move to an unpressured area, how they heck do they know it's unpressured considering most of the pressure is on opening day? Prior experience?

This is the third year in a row that I found what I thought was a hard to access area and thought I'd be golden only to realize that it gets hammered. This year in WI, there was am umarked private easement to a house that allowed the property owner and what seemed like everyone he knew to easily access this no-atv allowed swath of state forest. Talked with the owner, super nice guy and am super jealous of his set up. A modest 2 acre property surrounded entirely by public, but exclusive vehicle access to about 800 acres of very hard to access state land (no trails, no parking areas). Really a great setup. The easement runs a ridgeline and there's swamps holding deer on each side of the ridge.

Same thing happened on the MI opener, I picked a spot that was a 90 minute walk and thought the ATV trails were closed. Only to find out that the gate was apparently only meant for cars and there were dozens of atv's getting to these hard to reach places.

Those hunting heavily pressured areas up north, how have you had succes after the opener? My current thoughts are:
-- continue the never ending challenge of trying to find an unpressured area
-- hunt the opener and put the gun away. Try to fill the tag on the tail end muzzle loader season.

29-Nov-21
"A question I'd like to pose - do you think the bucks relocate to unpressured areas?"

This question is your answer. It does not just apply to bucks, but it applies to all deer. You ask how do they know what is unpressured land? Well, they learn through time. I posted on the field report my observations of Saturday's hunt. Well, there were plenty of deer to see, and plenty of bucks as well. That is 8 days into the 9 day gun season. If you read it, I also stated it hadn't been entered for a full year. Yes, the simple answer, and often difficult one to swallow, is public land is often shit! Why? Because it's rare to find a place that holds water (very important), food (very important), and thermal shelter (very important). The catalyst is leaving it alone. That simply isn't often the case on public land. While you determine what has the makeup of good deer habitat, the deer also determine that as well. They're just better at it, and often, those places that truly best suit the deer best, are off limits to most people. I remember the first time I deer hunted private land. Let me restate that "good" private land, I was blown away at how these deer were unguarded. They literally were going about their day, like today was the same as yesterday, and we are all good! I cannot say that is what I've always observed. Why? Because I too hunted public land. Actually good private land, and would in the heyday, see over 50 deer on the opener. Then come Monday, the entire public property I hunted would go blank. Well, they found a spot that had what they wanted, and that was likely a refuge they could bed in, and come out at dark, or a place where deer could simply be deer. That's not very often found on public land that sees intense pressure.

29-Nov-21
Thanks for the info, Pete. I missed your post in the hunt report but just read it (congrats on that fat doe!). Very enlightening. It echoes a study that was posted earlier (Nocturnal I think) that followed a specific buck via GPS collar in PA, and he basically relocated to some refuge area during gun season. In fact I think he took off a day or two before the season started, presumably from people trampling through the woods scouting and setting up stands, increased ATV and truck traffic, etc. etc.

I'm going to continue my search for pockets of unpressured public land that have good deer habitat. No ATV access (legal or illegal) is a really, really good start. No trails of any kind at all is even better, granted everywhere has at least old logging roads. Those mile+ long walks in the dark off a trail are no joke, though. But that's what'll keep people out. Maybe do it old school and set up tent camp in the woods to avoid having to keep doing the wake up at 3:00am to drive and do a crazy long walk then getting burned out after a day or two. I wish there weren't so many ATV trails!

29-Nov-21
Not many people on this forum hunt after gun season in the bigwoods. I would type up a response but I have enjoyed reading others more so lately. Smokey- has killed a few mature bucks during the late season phase in the bigwoods. He often spoke late December but I'd like to hear him chime on this?

29-Nov-21
Noc, I was assuming he meant the 9 day gun season. I understand exactly what you're implying, without saying it. I also have some late season stuff that I'll admit is like hunting for 15 minutes of light, but it is a result of hunting corn stubble. That hunting is cold weather hunting, and lately, I'm a tit. I just cannot handle super cold weather lately.

29-Nov-21
I was meaning the 9 day gun season, but also muzzle. However, I'm more than happy to get some advice or hear some stories on killing deer in the late archery season, especially in places that received a ton of gun pressure. I still have twoi antler point restricted (3+ and 4+) MI buck tags to try to fill. Don't know what I was thinking buying the combo tag! I'm gonna give it a go, but am not expecting any luck, lol. Just laying eyes on a late season big buck would count as a huge success in my book.

Folks here would be glad to hear, that at the very least, MI restricts late season archery to vertical bows only. Doesn't do much as no one is hunting and muzzle loader goes all the way until the 13th.... but at least its an acknowledgement differentiating xbows from vert bows.

In Greg Miller's book "Bowhunting Forests and Deep Woods", there's a chapter on late season and he pretty much says "it's really tough". But one of his strategies was basically to set up extremly close to bedding and try to catch the buck in the last few minutes of legal light as he exits the swamp. He has some great anecodotes of mature bucks just walking up to the swamp edge and scanning for danger for many minutes and not actually going out into the open until dark.

He puts a strong emphasis on post-season scouting and finding these bedding areas the year prior.

29-Nov-21
Greg Miller is a regular visitor here. Not many know that, but he's a very humble hunter who doesn't get in the middle of the nonsense that is often an overcast to actual hunting conversation. Greg, you out there?

29-Nov-21
I hunt only big timber that's public . It's a piece of cake during Archery until the week before Gun season . Then the Billy bobs show up with their chainsaws , setting up stands , moving road blocks . I gun hunt in areas that they can't easily get to .

The Deer know , those old Does lead the group to safe havens . Once the woods calm down they go back to normal.

Late season ? It's all about temp , food ,& snow depth. Weather today is forecasting a very mild December . When I head back out in 10 days I'll hunt the Oaks .

29-Nov-21
Vilas, The problem is northern Wisconsin is a completely different place now than when those books were written. Wolves, baitpiles, and way less deer. No disrespect to the author, but those days are long gone. Aside from all the other factors, deer are naturally less active now. You better know exactly where he is, (good luck with that) and you better get right on top of him.( good luck with that to) The only advice I'd give is your going to need to find his track, and then backtrack him to try and figure out where he's sleeping and do it without him knowing about it because I can guarantee you right now he has less of a sense of humor than he's had all year... Snow permitting, I do tons of walking in the big woods after gun season. Very seldom do I find something that would get me to commit to the effort. I'm not a big camera guy, but I suppose you could mine the place with them and get a starting point. But my guess is you won't be able to get the cameras close enough without irritating him first....My opinion only....

29-Nov-21
Retro you have been asking about big woods most of the season and gotten some good advice. I'll give you my take on big woods hunting. I hunt by 4 rules and it works for me.

#1 Where are deer coming from and where are they going to? Don't hunt dead end spots and don't hunt spots just because they are pretty. Everything big woods deer do is purposeful. Big bucks are the laziest creatures and they don't waste energy. Look for the overall patterns and then look for chinks in those patterns. I tend to hunt topography and don't worry about sign. Sign is only good for attracting hunters. If your in the right spot, deer will be there regardless of sign. I'd rather hunt last years sign and be there before it shows up. Typically by the time you find it, its already too late.

#2 What are they eating? Food is everything and if you find what they are eating its where they are going to be bedding too. I make drives for our small group every gun season and typically walk 100+ miles every season. Something that got absolutely hammered home this year was that when deer numbers are as low as they are now, they will only utilize the very best feed. I drove numerous 3-4 year old clearcuts that were basically devoid of deer. They were only in the most recent cuts with the very best browse.

#3 If you can't sneak into a spot, keep on looking. I learned this one the hard way after a lot of years of getting slapped in the face by brush. The best spot is worthless if you can't 100% sneak into it. I see it every day in gun season. You make an arc around the bucket sitters and traditional spots and you will see where every deer vacated the area as soon as those guys show up. When you blow out big woods deer they aren't coming back in daylight and if you don't follow rule #1 there is little chance something else is coming through. These days I am more apt to hunt right next to a logging road versus trying to crash through some clearcut. Use something deer won't use typically travel in for your access. I'll walk up a creek bed or use a really open hardwood ridge for access. Big bucks in particular are masters at picking bedding spots. They bed where they can see or smell you long before you are any danger and have the perfect escape route already planned. I bet on 3/4 of the drives I make,the standers have already blown out the buck before the drive even starts. Bucks might not always re-locate due to pressue, but they are going to use the terrain to their advantage every time.

#4 What are other people doing? I think I scout people more than deer. I can't stand to hunt within half a mile of someone. You don't always have to go far to avoid people. Lot of times just the lack of parking spots will limit people. Water is great, I like to cross creeks or rivers that limit people too. Good pair of hip boots will separate you from most of the crowds.

As for late season, its flat out tough, but can be some of the funnest hunting of the year. Ruger is right, its all about food and weather. I miss the days before processors. Bow hunting late season logging jobs was a blast. The deer stayed right behind the loggers and by the time they stopped the saws the deer were already on the latest trees to hit the ground. Was seldom a problem to see 20-30 deer a night and the colder it was the hungrier they were. Now with the equipment they have, they lay so much wood down and make such a mess that its about impossible to hunt the cuts. Your better off hunting the transition from the nearest swamp to the cut. Watch for wind blown cedars and hemlocks as those are late season magnets. Found plenty of sheds around them to prove that, and stands of Hemlock/Cedar offer great thermal protection too so the deer are already there. I would say that most of the big woods deer shot in late season are going to be shot over bait. In the end its all about food. Like it or not, its probably the most effective late season tactic.

29-Nov-21
Wait a Freaking second!!! The,,Greg Miller is a frequent bowsite member??

29-Nov-21
Not sure about "The" Greg Miller, but there is "A" Greg Miller, and he is indeed a frequent bowsite member. LOL!

29-Nov-21
HAHA!!! Now this made me laugh really hard. I hear Greg Miller being talked about and then you launch his name like that. I had to sort of contain myself? No offense to other Greg Miller.

29-Nov-21
About 10 years ago I asked him if he was Aware of Bowsite at a show. He said it's fun to read but He was not a member. He could be now .

29-Nov-21
Grape will not be offended. He's just as good of a hunter as "the" Greg Miller. Just a bit more private is all.

29-Nov-21
Yes, a bunch of great hunters on here Pete. Sure was funny.. whoops. I derailed another thread. LoL

29-Nov-21
Helped The Greg Miller track a bear one time in Phillips

29-Nov-21
to me, late season up here is literally the "cats ass". The more snow, the better. They instinctively use become tighter to trails, and have a killer appetite. Those bucks have been busy screwin' for 3 weeks, and common sense tells me that I would be hungry too. My best luck is on edges of security areas, catching them coming out in the evening to feed in the highlands. Also, the colder the better. 3 of us bagged out one time over Christmas when it was 10 below .

29-Nov-21
Thats pretty awesome, MjF. I reread his book every season.

Retro, while the times have changed since the book was written, they have changed back some! Miller mentions baiting being legal in WI, and now it's not, wooo! Granted, I'll be hunting in MI in the middle of bait pile city (hopefully drying up now that rifle is ending tomorrow). No doubt deers numbers are lower now than the book was written, though. I think all the concepts still apply, though. Just will need to search that much harder for a big buck.

We got a snowfall mid october and I was following tracks sunup-sundown (how I sadly found all the baitpiles), but I did find what I presumed to be a monster buck bed. Right inside a swamp that had a steep 20' climb to the high ground. The turds were literally the size of marbles and perfectly round, too. The pile was also massive. Never seen that before. I assume big shit means big deer, can anyone comment on that? It was on a small patch of high ground with thick trees covering one end, presumably where his ass was facing while he bed. I got time this weekend to hunt, so if it looks like that bed has been used in the past week (not likely, I know), then I think the game is on!

I think the only plus side to everyone hunting over bait is that everyone is only shooting spikes. I can't imagine a big buck walking up to a baitpile during rifle season in daylight. I could be wrong, though. I'm not usually targeting big bucks, but I got APR for the first time in my life, so I'm looking forward to being forced to go after one.

At the very least, following tracks in the snow is a lot of fun.... Although even if the baitpiles are drying up now, I would imagine the deer are still gonna be regularly checking them for some time. But maybe not in a few weeks? The snow isn't going anywhere and will reveal the story! Just wish I could find some darn black powder as muzzle runs to the 13th there.... although nothing better than taking a buck with a bow during a firearm season.

29-Nov-21

Relentless's embedded Photo
feeding on acorns
Relentless's embedded Photo
feeding on acorns

29-Nov-21
Relentless is the "cats ass" a good thing or a bad thing, hahaha! Definitely hear you and Ruger on the cold weather. They will be forced to get to eating during daylight and need some food to stay warm. As you alluded to, lots of snow forces them to be very concerned on how they expend their energy and that can be to our advantage. Granted it's also to the wolf and coyote advantage...... Currently 10" snow outside my door right now and this spot is a bit north of me, so maybe even more snow there....

29-Nov-21
Hey Relentless, when you guys tagged out over the cold christmas do you recall what part of the day it was for you guys ? Or was it all over the place?

29-Nov-21
all 3 of us were spread out along a swamp before evening.

29-Nov-21
thanks, relentless. Appreciate the report! Was hoping it was in the evening. Climbing up a tree in the bitter cold in the morning dark is not the "cats ass", Much prefer an evening hunt. In a couple weeks I might even be brave enough to leave some climbing sticks and a stand out in public and leave the climber at home.

29-Nov-21
100% big pellets equal big buck or at least big bodied. When they switch to all woody browse in winter it seems like the pellets get bigger and always loose. Common to see them the diameter of your thumb. When I see those in quantity in a cedar swamp I get excited, almost always bruiser shed nearby.

29-Nov-21
Vilas, I wish you good luck. One thing...be careful! My area has no cell phone reception. If your playing monkey climbing trees in bitter cold weather, it goes without saying a mishap could be bad news... If you leave your gear out, extra caution when climbing. Iced up stands and steps are bad news.

29-Nov-21
Thanks Shed, also thanks for the info in your first post, I missed it earlier somehow. Some real good advice there, it was a good read

Appreciate it retro.... I've never left a stand out before, so I didn't even consider iced up sticks and stands, that's a fantastic point. I too rarely have cell reception where I hunt. The good part of that is less phone distractions while on the stand and no one can bug you!

30-Nov-21
Well my 9 day any weapon season buck was CWD positive, almost feels like a winning lottery ticket, new buck tag just will wait to see if I can find another target and use it this year or wait for the rut next year and have 2 tags in my pocket.

30-Nov-21
Good playbook and info on bigwoods Shedhunter, you pretty much said all of it. With a rifle, I quit going into my areas in the morning dark. Too many times bumping deer and they never return during daylight. I go in during first legal shooting so I at least have a shot or know they are there. The deer move pretty good after the bait piles dry up (wish baiters would figure this out) but not sure how that will be after what I saw for traffic up there during the xgun season. The only chance you have is good private unhunted land, or as you said getting ass pucker close to bedding, cold temps and good feeding area.

30-Nov-21
I think my favorite time to bow hunt is late season. All depends on where I'm hunting or snow. In the south, hunt cut field edges. North, edge of swamp or recently cut areas with lots of brush. I usually agree with the last 30 mins but one time the big one came in just as I got up in my stand at 3. I really hate the current regulations in the farmland zones. With antlerless hunts, I only have the weekend of 12/4 and 12/18 to shoot bucks with bow. The rest is antlerless only. I'll still hunt w/bow and it is nice to see the bucks but you have to laugh when you have the bucks walk past you. It's like they know you can't shoot them.

30-Nov-21
I think it's pretty ridiculous that you can't bow hunt for bucks during the extra anterless gun seasons. Really unfair to those who can only hunt on weekends/holidays. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind that rule?

30-Nov-21
LOL, I went out one year with my bow during the doe hunt for some stupid reason. Can you believe that I had 3 bucks come in together and stood 10 yards from the base of my tree!!! Unbelievable!!!

30-Nov-21
Hahahaha, that seems to be always how it goes. Is it usual for bucks to get back to hanging out together in the later season? Now that I think about it, I do have some pics of bucks together in December, although just one or two.

30-Nov-21
Im sick to my stomach, without going into great detail I screwed up today big time, a hunters biggest no no, I decided to take down my rifle stand all at once so I left my muzzle loader in the truck, 3/4 of the way there is the buck I have been hunting for two years bedded down in a windfall 25 yards away, nothing like looking at a 170 inch for 10 long seconds. I don’t feel so good

30-Nov-21
MjF, they just seem to know. Sorry man. I know how that hurts. If you had your gun, it wouldn't have been there, or worse, you forgot to put your primer in.

30-Nov-21
MjF - Welcome to the "I Goofed Club." I can assure you, you have lots of company. It's a big club. There are some of us who have earned entry multiple times. And most of us will continue to do so for as long as we are hunters. So enjoy the experience, as hard as that may be, and know it's all part of the game and the dues you pay for learning what not to do next time. Welcome aboard!

30-Nov-21
MJF, I feel for you. Talk about bad luck. Good news is that he is still out there!

30-Nov-21
mjf…..the upside is, he’ll be there next year for you to pursue. :) in the words of lemmy….”the chase is better than the catch’’

01-Dec-21
I belong to that club. Short story. Son was 14-15. Shot his first deer. Small doe. Showed him field dress etc. Thought I'd drag it out to the access point which wasn't far. Gave him my gun said wait here I'll be right back in ten minutes. The buck of my dreams that I'd been after for 3 years was well I do not need to go on you all know what happened. Argh

01-Dec-21
MJF, I almost did that last year ML hunting. Took about 10 steps from the truck and thought, oh no, I'm grabbing my gun. Glad I did because I got the only deer I had the opportunity to take last year. 6 standing in a clearcut 100 yards from the truck.

• Sitka Gear