Alwaysright 30-Nov-21
vilascounty 30-Nov-21
Pete-pec 30-Nov-21
vilascounty 30-Nov-21
Trickle rut 30-Nov-21
Pete-pec 30-Nov-21
Grub 01-Dec-21
30-Nov-21
This was a silly question to ask and I can't igure out how to delete the post, so I've edited it. I guess I'll rephrase my question, does public land down south get hit hard for the doe only weekend and during muzzleloader?

30-Nov-21
Muzzle loader no. Doe only can be more people out but nothing compared to gun season. My observations of SE wisconsin public.

30-Nov-21
I’d stay up north if I were you, more opportunity when the snow flies.

30-Nov-21
Vilas, I'd say no. More people, more deer, less overall hunters, more private land, less access, more money, and people buy their meat from stores lol. That is of course a very generalized statement full of a lot of truth.

30-Nov-21
Vilas From past reads it sounds like there are many here that may have some land that they would let a fellow Bowsiter hunt one of those seasons.

30-Nov-21
The only reason I ask this is because I'm actually gonna be in Milwaukee the day before that 4 day season starts for work. Was thinking while I'm driving the whole state north to south, maybe bring my rifle and have a good excuse to take that Thurs/Fri off and just sleep in the truck. If it was quiet during muzzle, I have to imagine lots of tracks + a rifle on that thursday/friday would be a good shot at some meat in the freezer.

Granted I sh ould probably know better - being succesful on new public land is not just "walk in and pick a spot", even if the general county harvest is high.

Thanks for the answers, appreciate it. I'll probably play it by ear. If there's snow on the ground, I'll poke around and see what deer population and hunter pressure looks like on a few public spots close to my driving route.

30-Nov-21
Public here is normally non-tillable land surrounded by crops. You will stand a far greater chance than the reports you've been posting. I say it's time to stay at the hotel Chevy, and take a stab at it. You certainly seem determined. I'm guessing you're still in your thirties?

30-Nov-21
You guessed right, in my thirties, but closer to 40 than 30, however did not start deer hunting until I moved to WI from the other side of the country as an adult not too many years ago, so I think my excitement to just "get a deer" is still very high.

I bought a fold-up foam mattress thing for $70 a few years back and Hotel Chevy is still very much on the menu!

30-Nov-21
No snow as of now Columbia/ Sauk counties. Metro units still open I believe either sex. I haven't hunted public in years in these counties. I do know of one I can tell you about that holds alot of deer. Saw over 20 last night feeding across the road. That is private but where they come from is some nasty public used for bedding. Can get into it pretty easy and sit the trails going out. PM if Interesred

30-Nov-21
Right on trickle! Thanks for sharing.

01-Dec-21
Very low hunting pressure around Devils lake right now. Saw very little hunter activity all year in the Wisconsin river bottoms. Dell Creek is a ghost town. Probably pick up a little for the holiday hunt, but not much usually. Sauk county.

• Sitka Gear