Kansan 12-Dec-21
01-Dec-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
6:45am...

Unleash the Kraken? I mean the long rangers, er the Orange Army yea that's it

The day most of us dread, at least those who are truly bowhunters and bought the "Archery only" tag. Ya can't stop'm so sit on the sidelines or join'm!

Also the obligatory odometer shot just in case you wondered if the old girl was still runnin...yes, yes she is.

I'm tucked into a cedar, SE of Argoina, that I cut out the other day I had the encounter with the wide 10. Unfortunately I had a doe pick me off walking in and she alerted everyone...hopefully the others are used to her being a whiner?

Wind is very light from the NW, it's 40°...charge!

01-Dec-21
The orange should have them moving. Good luck!

01-Dec-21
Take no prisoners!

01-Dec-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
7:27am...

Quiet so far, no banging,. I like this new set up, can see the whole river bottom, and two good trails out front.

These pictures are a little deceiving...the timber is 25-30yds in front of me.

01-Dec-21
I’ve been doing a lot of hunting on the ground in cut out cedars this year. My new favorite way to hunt!

01-Dec-21
Y’all stay hunkered down and let em fly over ya.

01-Dec-21
Good luck.

01-Dec-21
10:28am...

Don't recall gettin skunked so far this year, reckon I was due. Did see around 20 Canada's, small flock of mallards, one squirrel, and two pileated woodpeckers...not all bad.

Try another spot tonight

01-Dec-21
Hey, you know what that means…

You get to hunt again!

01-Dec-21
2:41pm...

Dang straight Kyler! That's just what I'm gon'do...set up for the evening here on my Caldwell spot.

No wind to speak of, supposed to be W-SW which is perfect for this stand...what's not perfect is that it's 104°. All good, bring me the deer!

01-Dec-21
3:06pm...

Two doe's just ran through the timber N of me, but you guessed it...nothing behind them.

Lots of fly's, gnats, ladybugs, and grasshoppers out and about though. Did I mention it was hot? This mullet is not helping either

01-Dec-21
5:21pm...

Missed a coyote at 50, he/she has been sitting out there for 20min taunting me...begging for another arrow

Not gonna do it

01-Dec-21
Saw a REAL young doe this evening with hair standing up on her butt, maybe she was molested?

01-Dec-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
6:12pm...

Possibly Dave, you're on your own on that one ;?)

Pin drop quiet tonight, heard this young 8 coming from 200yds away. Had a handful of doe's out on the wheat S of me as well and that was that.

Taking tomorrow off to catch up a few things, plus is supposed to be dang near 80°?

Be good!

01-Dec-21
I usually have Thursday off, not this week! I’ll save it for later.

01-Dec-21
Beautiful sunset pic!

01-Dec-21

03-Dec-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
3:02pm...

Didn't plan to go out in this heat but all caught up at work and well...

Set up for the afternoon on the ground in a cedar, same spot the "deep 6" buck was hanging out last Fall. Also the same field my stalker case was secured. He'd see me post from this field, and then within 10min was driving around through the field trying to scare off the deer. Game Warden said it was one of, if not the easiest cases he'd ever been a part of.

Haven't picked up much here on camera this year, but the camera was on the "skitz"...just never know what may show.

Wind is NNE and gusting to 15mph or so but will die down towards dark...was 64° at the bullet proof limo

03-Dec-21
Good luck....you still trying to decoy or you think it’s too late in the year?

03-Dec-21
5:17pm...

Nothing moving yet, need it to be cold for this spot. Yea, I've got the HUD out just to try and pull something across the open field out front.

03-Dec-21
5:32pm...

Almost done, but two doe's and two fawns just popped out on cut beans N of me

03-Dec-21

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
crestedbutte's embedded Photo
Can you hunt on the other side of the yellow fenceline where the red “X’s” are shown or is that a “no hunting-no permission” type property?

03-Dec-21
The latter Jason, good looking stuff though ain't it. Big chunk of ground, with 20' tower stands I've never seen anyone in?

04-Dec-21
6:43am...

Had a hard time picking a farm this morning, not a lot of spots for a NE wind. Thought about going right back where I was last night but just too open, and haven't seen anything there I'd even shoot.

Landed on the "new" cedar cut-out where I got skunked the other morning, but where I'm on a trail/pinch against the river.

Saw several doe's out on the wheat driving in, maybe the other sex is up and around this morning too

Wind's NE gusting towards 15mph or better, it's around 40°...GO

04-Dec-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
7:47am...

As I sit here rethinking my choice, haven't seen any deer yet, I have to remind myself that my buddy Mark shot this beast 2yrs ago 50yds from where I sit.

Mike shot his buck this year 150yds from where I sit as well. Good genetics around, and though we're surrounded by soul sucking sadness spreaders on all sides...it's a bit of a sanctuary. We don't go into the heavy cover at all during deer season, unless to look for/retrieve a deer.

Just not much reason for them to be moving right now, and more reasons to be nocturnal with the bang sticks sounding off. Three shots so far this morning, two were fairly close, NE of me...pretty sure the second was a "follow up" shot.

04-Dec-21
Haven’t heard a shot this morning over this way, kind of surprised. But deer aren’t moving much either, one little fella just after first light so far.

04-Dec-21
The deer on my trail cameras have been very, very nocturnal the past couple of weeks. I can’t blame them with the warm weather we’ve been having. Hopefully these colder temperatures will help.

Nice and frosty up here in Manhattan this morning. :)

04-Dec-21
8:44am...

Had 5-6 doe's come along the river 30min ago headed to the deep thick stuff West of me.

Then at 8:35 two shots SE of me...sounded like some LGBT special edition rifle? Just weak.

The cold front next week will get them moving more James, at least in theory.

04-Dec-21
Some fine specimens up there. That cameraman is a heckuva guy too.

04-Dec-21

04-Dec-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
I left around 9:30, saw nothing else...not hunting tonight.

I don't know why, but these pics made me laugh...I can just imagine the fawn introducing its brother "Lemmy" to the other deer

04-Dec-21
I've seen rutting bucks the last 5 days, and lots of them.

04-Dec-21
Saw 7 bucks tonight, including the one I was there for, bucks were bachelored up and eating like crazy. Several does worked through the plot and the bucks paid them no mind. The buck I was after stayed out of range the entire time; 5 minutes after legal, he was 18 yards in front of the haybale blind. Go figure…

04-Dec-21
Dang it James. Hate it when the big one just teases you. Hope for better luck next time.

05-Dec-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
6:44am...

Good to hear that they were moving James, hope you get another chance with him!

I'm set up SW of Argonia this morning, on the ground again. Got a special guest with me today...Easton. Some of you will remember Easton and his first buck from last year.

I put him in the "Dogleg" stand, about 200yds from me, hoping for some action. He's got a buck tag, a doe tag, and he just got his Furharvestor so look out world!

Wind is light from the SSW and its around 45°...ready...ok

05-Dec-21
Good luck to both of you, am thinking about digging out the pumpkin suit to give it a go this afternoon.

05-Dec-21
I think ya should buddy, good luck if so.

Super quiet here except for all the roosters sounding off S of here...makes me smile to here them round here again. We've got a heavy fog, and I love hunting in the fog, but we need a bit more wind to cover movement/sound.

05-Dec-21
Got to work early this morning and went to check traps. Craziness in the food plot grunting chasing going on. something came into heat.

05-Dec-21
You gonna be able to get out after the cold front moves through Kyle?

05-Dec-21
9:05am...

Send'm this way Matt, we ain't seen nothin yet

Yea James, I can hunt the whole month, but may try waterfowl a bit next week too

05-Dec-21
Good luck to you and Easton both this morning.

05-Dec-21
Hang in there. I let a buddy who farms N of Attica use a Wildview cell cam as nothing else works out there. No shooters on cam for the last two weeks. Boom last night 5 show up. Cold weather coming this week as well.

05-Dec-21
Gooder luck to everybody.

05-Dec-21
11:30am...

Not today. Did finally have a doe come by around 10:30 and that was that...next time

05-Dec-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Huntin baskets tonight!

05-Dec-21
We ain't KU

05-Dec-21
Woo Shocks :)

06-Dec-21
I wonder how many big city folks know what a shock is.

06-Dec-21
I'll wager more of them know what the "shocker" is... but this is a family site. :-)

06-Dec-21
Mannnnnn!!!!! Look at those seats! It was a great win!

06-Dec-21
Like shocks on your vehicle?

06-Dec-21
Well, I shocked feed in west central Ks back in the 60s. I know well what a shock is. Sorry to see my alma mater getting beat. At least thy had a decent football year. I miss Bill Snyder.

06-Dec-21
Shocks of wheat

06-Dec-21

Kansan's embedded Photo
Kansan's embedded Photo

06-Dec-21
Um Dale...we won

06-Dec-21
lol

06-Dec-21
Now that’s funny I don’t care who you are. You hunting Kyle?

06-Dec-21
SitO, sorry, glad the Cats won lt.

06-Dec-21
You'd have enjoyed it Dale, quite a comeback...and w/o one of their best players. Didn't hunt today James, how about you?

06-Dec-21
The weather sure was a little more seasonal today.

06-Dec-21
Yeah I hunted this evening Kyle. Saw a few does and a little forkie, par for the course.

07-Dec-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
2:55pm...

Back in the cedar stand I was in the other night when I was covered up with doe's, SE of Argonia. Tons of fresh droppings in the wheat walking in, most right in front of this stand. They've been hammering this spot.

Brought the HUD. but stuck him back in the timber below me, not very visible from the field...just don't want a doe blowing if I can avoid it, but felt it might be needed to draw a buck in closer.

Wind is SSE at around 10mph and it's around 45°...and oh yea, I've almost driven/ridden around the globe twice this year while all the "nancy's" locked themselves away and ate government cheese ;?)

07-Dec-21
Good luck Kyle, I’m out too at a tagged out friend’s spot.

07-Dec-21
4:44pm...

First two doe's just entered the wheat 100yds W of me...here we go

Hope you see the one you're after Jimmy!

07-Dec-21
5:14pm...

22 deer out now, from 100-250yds away. One nice heavy white-horned 8 or 9 but he's the furthest out.

07-Dec-21
5:44pm...

Had one doe come down the trail to my E @ 22yds...she was looking back and I thought it might be...

It wasn't..nothin. Reckon I get to try again

07-Dec-21
24 more days to get er done Kyle. Don’t want to tag out to early lol. Hang in there and good luck.

07-Dec-21
13 does and a forkie for me. Different spot, same story. Lol

08-Dec-21
Kyle,

Not surprised by any of this. Can't wait to see your New Years Eve buck!!! LOL. It's all about the journey and you my friend have the best of em! Good luck!

08-Dec-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
2:59pm...

Thanks fellas...squeezin everything I can outta this tag!

Been set up here N of Harper for about 15min, bad cell. Have several trails converging just W of this stand heading out to some winter wheat. They like this little corner as it has windbreaks on two sides, but could honestly come out anywhere on this 160.

Haven't been here in a bit so I thought I'd see if anything has moved in. Wind is SSW around 10mph and it's a bit over 50°...let's roll

08-Dec-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
4:22pm...

Had a little button buck come in and hang out with the HUD for 10min or so

08-Dec-21
Interesting encounter this afternoon, went up to my hunt ground to see how the landowner and his cousins did this last week. Went on little tour of some close rural county roads. A fella in a side by side blocked the road and made me stop, he came up and wanted to know who I was and what I was doing. I calmed down a touch and told him it was none of his business and asked who are you? Kenny something and he had just spent over a million on land on both sides of the road and thought he had a poaching problem, saw a rifle in my truck and went off. Told him it ALWAYS there and this was a county road. Really read me the riot act about how I was a problem and threat. Not sure where he is from but told him to get his rig outta my way. Told the local warden about it later.

08-Dec-21
Two doe's two fawns at last light...stood downwind for several minutes staring at the HUD and just headed out to the wheat.

Think I'm goin fishing tomorrow, I need a break ;?)

08-Dec-21
Dave he sounds like a real gem! I can tell you from experience, that the number one thing on your side will be documentation. So write down everything that occurred...detailed...and then either give a written statement or send via email. I'd also recommend to everyone that you have your phone handy at all times, just in case, and take photos/video as otherwise it's a bunch of "he said she said BS".

11-Dec-21
6;53am...

Set up on my Attica spot this morning. Have stayed out of here for three weeks hoping another family member would come and rifle hunt it. That didn't pan out, but hopefully some new prospects have moved in like they always do late season.

Got a good NW wind, perfect for this stand. Cut beans to the NE and hopefully something will filter through on the trail out front headed to water or bedding. Was 27° at truck #2...bring it

11-Dec-21
Two pairs of doe's w/fawns were out on the beans at first light. One pair came in right behind me and went through my wind but never alerted...second pair caught me moving and ran off East

11-Dec-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo

11-Dec-21
Good luck this morning. How was the fishing the other day?

11-Dec-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
10:40am...

Thanks bud, not too hot on the water, we could see them on the graph but they just weren't hungry. Caught one decent bass, only a couple crappie.

Had a little movement this morning. Two young bucks, head down trailing something, must have had a doe come back in.

Then two doe's and a fawn around 9:30. Everything went behind me for some reason, the bucks paid no attention...the doe's...well they knew something smelled.

I'll try a different spot tonight.

11-Dec-21
Glad to see you back hunting...fishing is for the summer months:)

11-Dec-21
Lol…..still rocking the mullet I see……fun times!!

11-Dec-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
2:59pm...

Been set up for 20-30min here W of Caldwell. On the ground under a cedar, hoping they filter out of the heavy cover out front to the wheat tonight.

Same area I had the encounter with a big 10 at 10yds late last Fall. Don't know if he's around this year, cameras here have shown very little, one wasn't working through the whole month of Nov.

It's a good spot, shot my best less than 100yds from here a few years back. Wind is perfect, WSW and @ 10-15mph...it's in the low 50's...could be the day

P.S. Shane it's really more of a "Skullet" seenun's how I've got a 5-head instead of a 4-head

11-Dec-21
Hope it goes well for you this evening. Going to give it a go tomorrow maybe, we'll see.

11-Dec-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
3:56pm...

Sure hope you can get out Randy, buddy missed a "giant" this morning on W side of river(rifle).

I've got a nice young 9, one doe, and two fawns out on the wheat to my S already. Horrible pic, sorry...kinda

11-Dec-21
4:51pm...

Just heard six rifle shots in a row, then two "follow ups" a mile or so N of me...what the?

Six doe's on the wheat now, and that 9 is in the same exact spot he was an hour ago. He eats and then just stares into the timber for several minutes at a time...no interest in the females

11-Dec-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Just got a message I've been waiting on for a little over a year now! Mike's youngest just took his first deer on another Wheatfield near Argonia...congrats again young man!

11-Dec-21
Spike and two doe's at last light for me, still a good day!

11-Dec-21
Congrats to Mikes boy.

11-Dec-21
Sweet!!

11-Dec-21
We have some pics?

12-Dec-21
Was not going to post a rifle kill, but since Kyle tee'd it up :)

I could write a short book on all the close calls, almosts, the deer that zigged instead of zagged, and just rotten luck this kiddo has had. He missed on one last weekend, but hit the sweet spot tonight, and finally dropped his first deer right in it's tracks.

This is the 3rd archery season trying to make it happen with the Xbow, experienced some really awesome hunts along the way, but just could not quite seal the deal for him. This was his 3rd try with a rifle. Lil button buck that will be super tasty. Hopefully a Xbow kill will be next, and get him started with a compound before long, but this is a relief and satisfying deer beyond words. Big thanks to Kyle for the access, opportunity, and extensive efforts as well on his end to make this happen.

Picture in next post below...having the hardest time getting bowsite to post pix grrrr :((

12-Dec-21

MBabs's embedded Photo
MBabs's embedded Photo

12-Dec-21
Nice!! :)

12-Dec-21
The smile says it all. Sounds like a trophy well earned.

12-Dec-21
Congrats to the young hunter!

12-Dec-21
Way to go little man.

12-Dec-21
Awesome! Congrats

12-Dec-21
Congrats!

12-Dec-21
Can’t beat that!

• Sitka Gear