Big Dog 06-Dec-21
hickstick 06-Dec-21
Doc 06-Dec-21
hickstick 06-Dec-21
Big Dog 07-Dec-21
Huntskifishcook 07-Dec-21
Big Dog 07-Dec-21
02-Dec-21
Lately while walking on the streets that border a large woodland next to my property I've seen so many discarded pumpkins and vegetable scraps. I assumed it's some dodgy baiting scheme but not really much to report on. Well last night shotguns and/or muzzleloaders started popping off back there after 9pm. I called the EPO and surprisingly I actually saw a cop car driving around shortly thereafter. I don't know if they found anyone and there was more shooting at 11pm but it pisses me off and makes me concerned that my local honey hole is going to get blown out this year from illegal hunting pressure.

How much does people jacking deer at night alter their behavior? A big part of my late season strategy is hunting these refuges where they go when pressure is high and permission is needed to get close enough. Seems like nighttime poaching is going to change that all up. Any of y'all had to deal with this kind of thing before?

02-Dec-21
Yup. I really try to give EPOs the benefit of doubt but man, I am so fed up with Mass EPOs. Now like anything, some are good, some are bad. But holy shit are some of them just lazy as hell. And I know this first hand through other EPOs that actually do care and do their job. I had an absolute lay up of a bust on a poaching scheme in an area i hunt and they did not do anything. I gave them pictures, GPS coordinates, etc. They literally just needed to walk about 200 yards from the road and it was a gold mine. And they didnt do a single thing. I tried 2 years in a row and nothing was done. This POS still baits deer with a tripod corn feeder about 75 yards from some houses and yes it absolutely screwed up the hunting in the immediate area.

02-Dec-21
That stinks Matt. In the benefit of the doubt direction, is it possible that people are just chucking stuff in the woods so they dont have to trash it, and shooting off fireworks? I'm hoping that's the case... Doubt it because it sounds different and all, but still hoping.

I've had some great convo's with DCR rangers over the years, but only seen a few EPO's while out hunting or fishing. That said, there are so few of them overall, that I suspect their ability to cover all things is likely really challenged. Your situation BWB is crazy - to offer up all the details and still nothing is lame.

That said, has to be a really hard task with few officers and lots of space to check.

02-Dec-21
It (night time poaching) screws up hunting. I feel sorry for you. When I hunted Vt. there was poaching to the point where late at night someone in a Jeep with special spot lights mounted pulled in to my yard thinking the "flatlander" wasn't there. When his lights panned on to me in the window there was some browning of the shorts and they weren't mine.

02-Dec-21
I hate to say it, but...drop a dime to Maura Healey

02-Dec-21
hahahaha Dana. Will, yes its so lame. I spoke to another EPO in a different district and he wasnt able to help because it wasnt in his "district range" or whatever, but he said this to me... I'll pass this along to the guy that handles that area but dont expect anything to come of it. He is very lazy and likely wont do anything and theres really no one else that would do anything about it either. Pi, youre right too and i was thinking about this the other day... I'm so cautious about following the rules. Little stupid stuff like pulling my primer out before I turn my headlamp on, etc. Then I just think about the blantantly ridiculous and obvious things that people get away with and it peeves me. The rules really arent enforced and that sucks for everyone that does follow them. Other people just get a very unfair advantage because of it.

02-Dec-21
The best game wardens help you rather than punish you if they think you made an honest mistake. Then there are the others like the one that confiscated a 16 yr old's first deer because in his excitement he hadn't yet tagged it. They said that boy cried his heart out.

02-Dec-21
Dan I'm like you in that sense, heck, I still often leave the dang trigger lock on till I'm 150 feet clear of the road just to be extra good, and I double check stuff all the time, to make sure I have the right permits with me etc. I stare at onx or other mapping tools to make sure my property lines are good or set back etc...

But man, then you watch a show like North Woods Law, and think to yourself: "these dudes could pinch me for my climbing stick breaking the bark on the dang tree" and it does reduce one's sense of "call em" when you see something wrong...

My last two EPO interactions though were awesome. One fishing a CR river here in MA, the guy was great... And the other after kayaking with my kids after school one day last may or early June. we were just paddling, the kids jumping off their kayaks into the lake, climbing in, etc. He was standing at the ramp when we left, super happy we had life jackets and happy to see "a family out having fun". He also complimented my kids on dragging their own boats up to the truck. And he was watching others out on the lake making sure people were following the rules.

Like anything, you have good ones and bad ones. But when there are to few of them, then the bad examples stand out, regrettably.

02-Dec-21
There are 5 EPOs on shift on the road in Z9 and 10 at any given time, but that's it. Just an FYI. Additionally, I know of 4 separate cases of Brazilian, and Ecuadorian poachers hunting at night, getting busted, going before a Judge in Worcester and having the case thrown out because the Judge was sympathetic to the idea that they're "Just feeding their families." No I am not kidding, and yes this has happened. My source is a DCR officer. They are reluctant to do anything about it anymore because they can't stop it. Liberal courts have tied their hands.

02-Dec-21
I recall several years ago I was out fishing with my youngest in our little boat. As we pulled into the ramp, my son took off his life jacket about 20 feet before we hit the ground. I looked up, and there was the warden. And I expected his ticket book to come out momentarily. Just as I was reaching for my emergency hundred dollar bill to see if we could make it right, there in the field, he said “it’s ok, I saw he was wearing the life jacket.” So that particular warden was a good guy.

02-Dec-21
My buddy shot a nice buck and went to check it in and got a written warning because it wasn’t showing from outside the vehicle. You see? They are nice. they taught him a lesson and didn’t give him a ticket. True story- hopkinton.

02-Dec-21
Noob, that's the nitpicky stuff that gets me irritated with any sort of LEO. The guy LITERALLY went to check it in. He's hiding nothing. Just remind him: "Hey, congrats on the deer, just a heads up, some part has to be viewable outside your vehicle when transporting. Keep that in mind for the future." Done.

02-Dec-21
How is everyone gonna feel when we have to pay more to hunt? Doesn't that start next year? Zone7 I see them quite a bit and have had more than one routine check over the years

02-Dec-21
Just to update, we are no longer required to show the deer, or part of the deer, during transport. Agree that the EPO was being a dick.

02-Dec-21
They’ve gotten me on that “visible” thing also. In the back of truck, entire deer is visible to anyone over the age of about 8, but was told that it had to be above the sideboard of the bed. No ticket, so I guess I shouldn’t complain.

02-Dec-21
BC x2

02-Dec-21
Jeb. Or to any one over 5ft

03-Dec-21
What"s the deal in Hopkinton at Arena farm game warden sitting there in parking lot ?

03-Dec-21
Sensitive subject Swamphunter

03-Dec-21
Swampy my thought would b a check in station

03-Dec-21
Seems like that guy is there to punish the compliant.

03-Dec-21
I thought it was you don’t have to have it showing once you’ve checked it in (yes online counts). You cannot check in online 1st week of shotgun only.

03-Dec-21
I thought it was you don’t have to have it showing once you’ve checked it in (yes online counts). You cannot check in online 1st week of shotgun only.

04-Dec-21
chase &me, not to mention the rise in the cost of living

04-Dec-21
Boys this warden was there during archery season when I was picking up my meat which did come out well .

04-Dec-21
I’m really thrilled about the after dark shotgun blasting, it was like ww3 around here tonight and guys taking so many shots that they were clearly over capacity. If you need to shoot more than twice (once in my opinion) you got no business being out there. Especially in the more populated areas. Reminded me of opening day in CA when all the illegals let the lead fly at anything they see and then the seasons over in 10 minutes.lol. Anyone been in the west meadows area of W.B. And heard any of this?

04-Dec-21
West Boylston? Thats crazy Matt!

04-Dec-21
Update to my update. One of our guys just informed me that the requirement to have your deer or part of your deer showing during transport is still in force. Thanks xi. I did not know that. I thought this reg was amended years ago.

05-Dec-21
No hunting anything during shotgun season for deer. Dumb rule used to be able to at least hunt waterfowl wearing orange in and out.

06-Dec-21
Jeb...the exact law (not just the excerpt) states 'Open to view'. one could argue that the as long as the bed wasn't covered, it was open to view.....I would guess that if the tailgate was open it would have been better.

06-Dec-21
Doc...I'm pretty sure you can still waterfowl hunt during Shotgun as long as the season is open....note the 'except for' below

"(l) During the shotgun deer season a person shall not hunt any bird or mammal or enter the fields or woodlands of the state with any firearm, ammunition, bow and arrow, or other device intended or adapted for the taking of birds and mammals, except for the hunting of deer or for the hunting of migratory game birds in accordance with 321 CMR 3.02(2), for the hunting of coyote in accordance with 321 CMR 3.02(3) or for the hunting of bear in accordance with 321 CMR3.02(1). ..."

06-Dec-21
"open to view" ?

06-Dec-21
Yup BD "open to view"

This is the exact section of the law 3.02 (4) i:

(i) A person shall not have in his or her possession or under his or her control in any motor vehicle or transport the carcass of a deer unless said carcass or part thereof is open to view, provided that after the deer is tagged with an official seal or a confirmation number having been issued after being reported online is written or printed on the attached tag as provided in 321 CMR 3.02(4)(j), the deer may be concealed.

06-Dec-21
Thanks Hickstick for that information . I don't think you can hunt waterfowl but I will check it out.

06-Dec-21
Pi, Have you ever heard of the viking 'Blood Eagle'?

07-Dec-21
My son rode through part of NYC with a buck on the roof rack. Words don't do it justice ; you had to be there.

07-Dec-21
Big Dog, when I started hunting 8 years ago, I was living in Cambridge, about a 10 minute walk from Harvard. Parking spots were often hard to come by, so after morning hunts it was not uncommon for me to walk a block or two fully decked out in camo carrying my bow. I still can't believe I never had the cops called on me.

Also, someone on here has a pic of a beautiful buck hanging in their tiny back yard in Somerville in clear view of dozens of other apartments.

07-Dec-21
Hunski I'm very familiar with that town and college and can only say you probably looked a hell of a lot more normal than some of the dudes and dudesses hanging out at the square,LOL.

• Sitka Gear