Nyati 12-Dec-21
babysaph 12-Dec-21
Nyati 12-Dec-21
JayD 12-Dec-21
Babysaph 12-Dec-21
Skip 20-Feb-22
Anglinscreek 21-Feb-22
02-Dec-21
https://wvmetronews.com/2021/12/01/w-va-bowhunters-association-raises-concern-over-crossbow-harvest-figures/

OUTDOORS W.Va. Bowhunters Association raises concern over crossbow harvest figures FacebookTwitterEmailSMS By Chris Lawrence December 1, 2021 - 3:11 pm LOGAN, W.Va. — The President of the West Virginia Bowhunters Association believes there is a storm brewing on over the use of crossbows for deer hunting in West Virginia.

“This is the storm in the distance. It’s sunny now, but we hear the thunder in the distance,” said Rusty Reed.

Reed asked members of the Natural Resources Commission in October to consider requiring a breakout in the DNR’s data. He wants the agency to separate the number of whitetail deer killed in West Virginia with crossbows and those taken by other forms of traditional archery equipment. Currently deer killed with both are lumped into the same figure, although they are not actually the same season.

“Crossbow hunting season is a separate season from traditional archery. However, they are concurrent they go from the beginning of October until the end of the year,” Reed explained.

Crossbows were legalized by the Legislature back in 2015 after years of opposition staged mainly by the Bowhunters Association. Since then, Reed said his organization has posed no formal opposition to using crossbows for hunting in West Virginia.. He indicated crossbows are now considered just another platform for hunting in West Virginia. But, the concern for Reed and the Bowhunters, is the effectiveness of the crossbow, which is starting to be noticed.

“The last four yeas, crossbows have increased the (archery) harvest well above and beyond what we had with traditional archery equipment and we worry in the future this may have a biological impact that will need to be considered by the Commission,” he explained.

Most archery equipment is effective out to about 30 yards, but modern crossbows have the capacity to be accurate out to 100 yards. The efficiency significantly increases a hunter’s odds of success, particularly during the rut when archery season and for now crossbow season, are both underway. Reed’s concern, and that of the Bowhunters Association, is whether the harvest of bucks during the peak of rutting could potentially remove too many bucks from the population and result in a reduction in reproduction.

“Crossbows are very efficient , so their kill is higher each year. At some point the game commission is going to realize, and actually they do already, that this is consumptive,” said Reed.

According to DNR data, the 2020 crossbow/archery harvest was 31,564 deer. The 2019 harvest was 29,508 deer. The 2018 harvest was 26,613 . The harvest in 2017 was 26,206. The bow and crossbow harvest for 2016 was 28,808 and in 2015, the first year crossbows were allowed the harvest was 32,540 deer. Although there was some fluctuation year to year, the crossbows have accounted for a higher average for the overall archery harvest. The 2014 archery harvest, the last year crossbows were illegal ,the archery kill was 21,653.

A press release from the agency in 2016 which accounted for the 2015 data did indicated crossbows in that first year accounted for 37 percent of the total crossbow/archery harvest. Since that time there has been no separation between the two seasons in annual harvest reports.

02-Dec-21
JayD, look someone else is concerned too. You almost had me talked into it was just me. I was starting to question my sanity . :^)

02-Dec-21
Thanks for the article Greg , now the debating, bitching will start from over in the east.

02-Dec-21
I think this is great it shows that the way it was set up that the crossbow season can be adjusted without effecting archery season. Now our DNR needs to determine if the crossbow is effecting the harvest enough to make adjustments. Pretty simple In my opinion.

It still doesn’t change the facts that since 2000 until now the overall archery has went up from the numbers I posted in other thread - the total kill by about 800 or 900 and the buck killed during the 2 seasons by about 1000.

Let the biologist look at those numbers and give us their opinions.

Again it seems simple. I think our biologist are pretty smart at doing this - heck our director called them some of the best in the world!

Geesh seems to me the crossbow is all across the state and not just in the east. Always the jabs have to made and no civil comments can happen. Oh and by the way I still hunt with recurve - always felt it was best to have a crossbow season that was not lumped into bow season for this very reason. If it hadn’t been done this way - crossbows would have been put into archery season and the whole season would need to be adjusted.

02-Dec-21
“JayD, look someone else is concerned too. You almost had me talked into it was just me. I was starting to question my sanity . :^)”

Goodness commissioner what are you talking about ? From the very beginning everything that is stated is stuff I have supported. I was for crossbows having their own season - so the season could be adjusted if needed. I fought for an individual crossbow season because of it wasn’t established then they would have been lumped into bow season. And we would have the problem as the states surrounding us as to how to adjust a season for all of archery since crossbow have increased the archery harvest in most.

Now as to rather we have reached the point as to a season needing adjustment- well I think that is up to the DNR to determine.

Seriously am I missing something? Are we in dire doom and gloom with the deer harvest in this state that we need to be thinking about adjusting seasons?

I have not gotten to hunt much this Fall because a huge work project - I have went out like 3 times and have seen a number of deer many being bucks. Am I just fortunate as to what I am seeing or is the state’s deer herd in that bad of condition?

02-Dec-21
JayD, as I’ve said at least 3 times. IDK yet. I am concerned that so many bucks are being killed before breeding season. I’ve had some biologists and other commissioners talk to me about it too. Like I said before IDK what the break point is for it to have a negative effect on reproduction but it’s concerning and needs to be watched closely .

02-Dec-21
Ok commissioner - what is giving you the indication that too many bucks are being killed before breeding season?

02-Dec-21
Adjust the crossbow season to run concurrent to Rifle season. Guys can then still use their crossbow if they want like I use my longbow in the gun season. That’s easy enough. There I fixed it.

02-Dec-21
JayD, when a few biologists and other commissioners are talking about the number of bucks being killed before breeding season it gives me concern which is what I stated in a previous post

02-Dec-21
Ok so your indicator is what others are perceiving to be happening and relaying to you.

Are any of the biologist part of the deer team? I will jump on the bandwagon with them and you when some substantial data is presented.

02-Dec-21
I’m not going to tell who tells me what . My only bandwagon is concern and watching and waiting to see how the harvest goes and the number of bucks and does taken before the rut

02-Dec-21
Yea I figured that just asking if they were part of the deer team would be a no no and needed to be kept secretive. LOL

So tell me if I am wrong in saying this - you have expressed concern over the late doe season and heritage seasons because of those bucks that have lost their antlers before those seasons take place could be shot.

Now there is concern for the harvest of both bucks and does that take place before breeding season.

I think I am correct on this - tell me if I am wrong please….

02-Dec-21
We have no need to take bucks as shed deer if possible.

It is totally fine to be concerned about possible issues during the beginning of season and the later part. That would be Greg's job and the job of responsible sportsmen.

02-Dec-21
JayD, would you rather me not be concerned about anything? Just go thru the motions? Sit in meetings and not listen to anything. Just sign off on anything put in front of me ? Not listen or talk to Sportsmen ? It would be a hell of a lot easier but that’s not what I agreed to do. Nor do I think that’s the intent of having a Commission was meant to be.

Is that how you want the Commission to function?

02-Dec-21
Again all I asked was if these were your concerns - pretty sure they were - I want to find out for myself if these are valid issues that we need to have concerns with - anything wrong with that? Again if there are clear indications identified by our deer biologist- I will be the first to back their plans to combat it.

Did I say you were wrong for having them but the way we learn is by asking questions and trying to find out the answer.

Greg everyone time someone ask you about these concerns - well I hate to say it - it’s like they have committed the ultimate sin. You keep everything hushed and no one can learn anything. Sorry but we are not dealing with national security issues here.

02-Dec-21
The powers that be knew more deer would be killed with the crossbow. They were warned and had other states kills to go by also. They want more deer killed.

02-Dec-21
JR hate to tell you this but last week some of our legislators were meeting to discuss the airbow for WV.

02-Dec-21
Are you serious ?

02-Dec-21
Are you serious ?

03-Dec-21
Yes I am - saw it on one of the legislator’s Facebook page.I think the meeting was more about air rifles but they talked about the air bow as well.

03-Dec-21
I am starting to think that if Nyati said he thought the sky was blue on a bright sunny day, JayD would question why he felt that way. :-)

03-Dec-21
I think I remember why I didn’t come here for a while, might be time to take another break

03-Dec-21
Me thinks that if they want an air rifle and air bow that they simply just want dead deer. I guess I better get my bow and get out there and help em

03-Dec-21
Seriously Jeremy - so a wv dnr commissioner comes on here and makes a blanket statement that there are concerns that too many bucks are being killed before breeding season. I ask what are the indicators are on this assumption - he states others are talking and asking about it. I then ask so are these biologist part of the team of biologist that manage our deer - to which for some reason it cannot be answered. I think WW III would start.

Seriously Jeremy you think that is unacceptable? Wow just Wow.

So Greg - please tell me what I have done now to offend you and I will try to change whatever I have done. Again show me some data or results that are leading you and these others to assume this may be happening and if our biologist confirm and say change to seasons or limits need to happen - I will stand behind that 100 percent! Just don't expect me to fall in head over hills on some peoples perception of what is happening.

03-Dec-21
JayD, for the 5th time now, I said there has been concern expressed . I said IDK if we are there yet . Look back in the posts . That’s the problem, I can say anything and you try and twist it into what you want it to say.

03-Dec-21
Greg - in my very first sentence in my last post I said you had CONCERNS! I did not say you said that you know too many bucks are being killed.

Now when I have concerns it is because of reason. If I have concerns about my health - its because i am in afib, have slightly high blood pressure or over weight. There are normally reasons for concerns - I just wanted to know what those reasons are that these people or you are having the concern that too many bucks are being killed before breeding. Please tell me what the problem is with that?

I have not twisted a darn thing !

03-Dec-21
Jayd,

Fairly simple, archery is on track, largely due to crossbows and liberal limits, to be the main method of harvesting deer.

Our gun season is set up to happen after majority of breeding. Our bow season is not. Therefore, when the bulk of harvest shifts from after the rut to before we could have an issue.

As far as waiting for biologist to say we have a problem and them being the end all day all. We had 20 years of deer density above carrying capacity. Sportsmen, albeit a nonvocal minority, got turkey season dates changed. Sportsmen got elk reintroduced when biologist said it was a bad idea. I can go on.

This isn't for twisting or inferring what anyone wants me to be saying.

03-Dec-21
“Ok let’s go over what you said sentence by sentence Cory. You say archery is on track - so when you say that I think you mean the archery harvest is where it should be - I mean if it’s on track and You say it’s largely due to crossbows - I won’t get nitpicky and say that crossbows are a separate season but will agree since they include the numbers into archery. Well if it’s on track and those are the 2 seasons where we can kill a buck before breeding - well how is it assumed that we are killing too many bucks if it’s on track? Please tell me if this is twisting what you are saying.”

The above is incorrect because I read someone’s statement incorrectly. I believe he meant to say that archery season is on track to become the main method of harvesting deer in WV. My bad. Even though I read his statement incorrectly - I think his statement is completely wrong because crossbows are a separate season from archery.

I think you are right somewhat on the rifle harvest except for when those year when rifle season and Thanksgiving are earlier with the way the calendar falls.

The other parts are your opinion and just like everyone else you are entitled to yours.

03-Dec-21
JayD, I think if you go back and remember how to write a sentence using proper English and what commas are and what they are used for in a sentence then Anglins sentence is self explanatory. You are taking the first few words of a sentence and making that into the total context of that sentence when it simply is not. That’s why the commas are there .

You take part of a sentence then derive it somehow into something completely different than what the sentence says than if you would read the whole sentence in context how it it written. That’s not how written communication works. If you can’t understand that well, I’m at a loss.

03-Dec-21
Mission accomplished on twisting. So routine.

Let's break it down via one sentence.

Fairly simple, archery is on track, largely due to crossbows and liberal limits, to be the main method of harvesting deer. Archery is in track TO BE THE MAIN METHOD OF HARVESTING DEER. That is what I said. Once again, you took off on a tangent bent to meet your criteria needed to disagree.

It's 100% twisting what was said. Again.

03-Dec-21
Hey I will admit I past over the part about on track to be the main method of harvesting deer. Must admit also and showing my age - I am reading this on phone and don’t have my reading glasses.

Truthfully I would of made it a little easier to understand and say something like - archery is on track to be the main method of harvesting deer, largely due to crossbows. Is this what you are trying to say?

Again there is a flaw there because even though crossbow harvest has been added into archery harvest numbers when tallying at the end of the year - crossbow is a separate season from archery season. So maybe I did misread your statement - I would disagree that your statement is very accurate.

About as accurate as saying “legally, they are a part of bow season”. Right commissioner?

The one thing I agree with Rusty is they need to keep the numbers separate since they are separate seasons. It would be like adding muzzleloader harvest numbers with archery season.

03-Dec-21
Greg please tell me how I have twisted your words? I will try to make it right.

Heck I think I did with Cory’s statement - hey I rushed reading it in my phone without glasses - my fault - even if in my opinion his statement could have maybe be formed a little better and I think not very accurate. Again my bad.

Again how did I twist your words?

03-Dec-21
I’m done

03-Dec-21
Now what did I do?

03-Dec-21
Everything isn’t about you I’ve got things I have to do

03-Dec-21
Never said everything is about me and Pretty sure I am not twisting your arm to respond or come on here. Hope you get your stuff done.

03-Dec-21
In 1984 Crossbows became legal in archery season for state of OHIO Their deer herd seem to be doing just fine. Oh thats right they have a one buck limit.

03-Dec-21
I don’t think it is unacceptable to ask questions but I also feel the Nyati repeatedly answered the question. I don’t understand why it matters exactly what biologist brought up the same concern that Greg said he already had. Nowhere did he say it was a problem…. He said many times it is something that should be looked at over time. I read that to mean there could be an issue in the sustainability of the herd if too many bucks are killed before breading occurs, but on the other hand It May not be an issue. Simply don’t know without monitoring it.

I had never given it any thought, but after hearing it, I agree it’s something that should be watched so corrections can be made before it’s too late IF the DNR does see a problem.

Please don’t assume by my thoughts I am “in a certain crowd” either. I am not on social media at all. Bowsite is as close as I get, so I know nothing outside of what is posted here about any “groups”. I rarely kill 2 bucks, let alone 3. However, I like the opportunities we have with our current limits. If the DNR deems it beneficial to reduce the buck limit then I will abide by the new regulations and continue to enjoy the outdoors.

03-Dec-21
Jeremy - he wasn’t asked repeatedly- he said he was concerned it could be happening - I asked if there was something indicating that was happening - his reply was other commissioners and some biologist spoke to him of the same concern. I then ask were they part of the team of biologist that managed deer. I didn’t ask for names - if it was someone from that team of biologist i was going to ask them if they had concerns - and what data was showing there could concerns.

Then it got into a battle of saying words were twisted but that is normally what happens here when a simple question of show me some data on the subject. Every time I was told I was twisting words I just tried to ask the question differently.

Certain people here like to really stretch things to try to prove their points - one of my favorites is:

“There were 38785 killed by guns and the archery/crossbow harvest was 31564 and is buck heavy. “

Is it truthful -yes - but why compare just the bucks killed by guns and the total deer harvest with bows and crossbow? People look at the two numbers 38785 and 31564 and think wow that is really close!

Why not say the buck gun harvest was 38785 and the archery/crossbow buck harvest was 19413?

Or say the total deer harvest with guns was 70040 and with bow and crossbow was 31564?

I am sorry but I want to see facts or data and not things run on perception of something.

03-Dec-21
JayD, I’m sorry I don’t meet your standards of truthfulness. I’m glad u said I was truthful at least. Maybe I was at the farm and didn’t have my data and spreadsheets in front of me. I was able to find the harvest numbers . Last I recall from math class is that 61.5% bucks out of 100% is buck heavy. BTW, that doesn’t include button bucks, bucks with antlers less than 3 inches, or shed bucks because they are counted as antlerless.

I could have said 100 things in 100 different ways but the bottom line is I was truthful about it and right about it. But I should have realized that wasn’t good enough for you and your standards. My apologies!! I’ll make sure I’ll take my file cases with me everywhere I go in case I want to post something.

03-Dec-21
I learned a long time ago, you can't reason a person out of an opinion or position that they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

03-Dec-21
Well Greg sorry to have hurt your feelings again. I didn’t know my approval meant so much to you.

Sorry I just found it strange that you compared the gun buck harvest to the total deer bow/crossbow harvest. Guess I am missing the importance of comparing those 2 - glad though that 1buck gets your reasoning! LOL

Impressive that you could remember those two numbers exactly and didn’t know the other numbers - sorry you didn’t have the info with you.

Hey I will give you an A+ on your math skills - but I don’t think I disagreed with it being buck heavy just the 2 numbers you used to make a point.

So as to the bucks less than 3 inches, buttons and bucks that had shed - since you brought them up - do they all go to just one season or are they spread out among gun, crossbow, archery and antlerless?

And why would it be so strange for a season other than antlerless to be buck heavy?

So that 70 doe per 100 bucks to keep the population stable - do you think that is a correct plan or not?

1buck enjoyed your input there.

03-Dec-21
1buckurout , good advice , I think I’ll take it. I feel like I’m in the Groundhog Day movie

03-Dec-21
That 70 does per 100 bucks to stabilize sounds right out of Crum's playbook.

03-Dec-21
Cory - if I recall the first time I read that several years ago I believe it was him. I assume you don’t agree with it and that’s fine - but why? I would hope that is not something he pulled out of the air and there is some science behind it.

03-Dec-21
I will be 65 Monday and can't see as well and hear as well. I have an old bazooka I bought online. I would like to see if I can get a season for it. What is the process? LOL.

07-Dec-21
Jayd,

Your assumption Is wrong so no need for the further questions.

07-Dec-21
LOL of course it is

08-Dec-21
I am not in disagreement with Crum about percentage of does needed to be taken to stabilize. That easy.

10-Dec-21
well.....after coming on here and reading for a long time I thought I just had to say something. I've lived and hunted in many states before retiring to WV and am as happy as I can be here but, after reading this post it reminds me of a lot of places I use to live. I like to call this the "the Burger King syndrome". Everywhere I've been there's always a group that want everything their way and this post started out no different. 'WV.a Bowhunters Association raises concerns'. So let me get this straight...this bunch is jealous because another hunter killed a nice buck in October with a crossbow? Dang people....is this WVBA really that darn childish? Where I live there are guys (and gals) that hunt with stickbows, compound bows, crossbows, center fire rifles, black powder guns, and even handguns and absolutely nobody gets jealous of the other if they kill a good buck. Are they trying to argue that people using crossbows are really ruining the deer herd? That is absurd to say the least. I know folks that tag out in October with nice bucks every year with trad bows and compound bows. Come on people, get over yourselves and just enjoy the great outdoors in this wonderful state and quit trying to dictate how everybody else enjoys it. If I had to guess I'd say the crybabies either don't ever see a decent buck because of lack of knowledge or ability or own a big parcel of land and want them all for themselves.

11-Dec-21
Well said, Jonquick

11-Dec-21
{{{"...WV.a Bowhunters Association raises concerns'. So let me get this straight...this bunch is jealous because another hunter killed a nice buck in October with a crossbow? Dang people....is this WVBA really that darn childish?..."}}}

No. The WVBA is concerned mainly with two things. First: To manage the resource and then, to represent its members interests. Imagine that... a "bowhunters" organization representing BOWHUNTERS, not rifle hunters, not crossbow hunters nor fishermen. You surely wouldn't question the mission of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation or the National Wild Turkey Federation, WV Bear Hunters Assoc, or Trout Unlimited, would you? Especially since proper management of the resource benefits all hunters... regardless of method they choose to use. Just because these organizations have specific interests of like-minded people doesn't mean they're "jealous" of anyone else.

Here is the mission statement of the WVBA, copied from the front page of its website:

“The WVBA strives to protect bowhunting in West Virginia against anti-hunting groups through legislation and to protect our wildlife resources. The WVBA promotes ethical bowhunting and the education of bowhunters in safety, skills and techniques, and educates the non-hunting public so they have a better understanding of its principles.”

11-Dec-21
Oops! Sorry. Somehow made a double post.

11-Dec-21
Here is a question. Is there and organization for crossbow hunters?

11-Dec-21
Here is a question. Is there and organization for crossbow hunters?

11-Dec-21
42,674 bucks taken in 2 week firearms season. Up 10% Just Cant believe there were that many still alive after all 7 weeks of crossbow hunters roaming the woods of WV.

11-Dec-21
Babysaph, NACF, North American Crossbow Federation

11-Dec-21
... and the IBO (International Bowhunters Organization).

11-Dec-21
Thanks. Didn't know the IBO was a crossbow org. Explains why they are here to stay. I say embrace them.

11-Dec-21
I just bought 50 more acres in Va. No crossbows or rifles allowed. I am doing my part. LOL

12-Dec-21
“42,674 bucks taken in 2 week firearms season. Up 10% Just Cant believe there were that many still alive after all 7 weeks of crossbow hunters roaming the woods of WV.”

That is funny Hoppies! I think I agree with what you are trying to say there as well. Although I do agree with the WVBA about keeping the numbers separate - they are separate seasons. I don’t know if I would of went any further than asking to keep the harvest separate and maybe not talk about the distance rumblings of thunder. Just yet. Let’s let our biologist tell us if they see a issue developing- I hope this doesn’t turn people away from the WVBA - I have seen where some are talking about not renewing their memberships.

12-Dec-21
JayD , I also think the numbers should be separated. Same as i would like to see the number of button bucks taken on class n tags .

12-Dec-21
Hoppie, if you look at the last page of 2020 big game bulletin. The number of bb, bucks less than 3 inches, and shed bucks are listed. I had asked for this info to be included for a few years and it was added for 2020 season.

12-Dec-21

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo

12-Dec-21
Hoppies - I agree - heck I would like to see all bucks - no matter of size -including button counted towards your buck limit.

Heck wouldn’t even need to pose a fine - if during one of the later doe seasons someone who has reached their limit on bucks - shoots a button buck add it towards their buck limit on the next year. Hopefully it would help in reducing the number of button bucks killed.

12-Dec-21
Its hare to believe there were that many killed. I did not hear any shooting in the counties I hunt in. But if those are the numbers that were checked in then I guess we are ok.

12-Dec-21
Thanks , Nyati I didnt realize those were in big game bulletin

12-Dec-21
Hoppie, 2020 was first year they added it

12-Dec-21
Hoppie, 2020 was first year they added it

12-Dec-21
Is the big game bulletin online or paper? I use to have one sent to me. Not sure what happened with that. Doesn't look like that many bucks killed so don't look for a reduction again this year

12-Dec-21
Both, online and paper

12-Dec-21

JayD's Link
Here ya go JR

12-Dec-21
Thanks buddy. Sorry I’m old school

20-Feb-22
Keep fighting, the Anti’s are loving it ! I think we should keep all vehicles off the road during the rut that will save thousands of deer.

21-Feb-22
Skip,

Way to offer some irrelevant advice.

• Sitka Gear