Nocturnal II 04-Dec-21
Hwytohell 04-Dec-21
retro 04-Dec-21
Sidekick 04-Dec-21
Sidekick 04-Dec-21
RutnStrut 05-Dec-21
02-Dec-21

Vilasbowhunter's Link
I am not against crossbows because I am 71 years old and began using one 2 years ago, so please don't bash me. I am absolutely against crossbows for everyone. So here is my frustration. Why does a 14 year old need a Ravin 10 crossbow and Ozonics in his very early years of bowhunting? What ever happened to learning to hunt and shoot with the basics? He has now shot a deer that will likely be the biggest in his hunting career using the latest technology. What is next? Alaska? Africa? I just don't understand the thinking behind this.

02-Dec-21
And while it was on the move…. “ the buck began trotting away. Realizing it was now or never, Justin fired his Ravin R9,”

02-Dec-21
That is a heck of a deer. However, if crossbows were not allowed for all during the archery season, that deer would most likely still be alive. The apathy and ignorance that was exhibited even here, on a archery site back in 2013-14, disgusts me. I hope those that were ignorant to this back then are still ignorant today, as that is about the only way they should be able to look in the mirror.

02-Dec-21
Captx2

02-Dec-21
What gives you the right to tell somebody what they can hunt with on their own private property? Im guessing you own property adjacent and were hoping to kill that deer? Its sad we are now to the point where grown adults are judging what a 14 year old kid shot on his own private land.

02-Dec-21
We all have the right to tell others what they can hunt with. We do so by voting for regulations/seasons.

I'm not judging the kid, he's only operating in the world that the we designed for him.

02-Dec-21
Not telling anybody what to use on private or public land. It is just the idea that xbows make it so easier. How would you feel if rifle season started in mid September and carried on thru January? Which it basically is now. I think everyone agrees here that the xbow is here to stay but needs a specific season and length just as rifle, archery, muzzleloader has. To introduce a superior weapon and not to take into account any season length or structure other than a separate license was not thought out at all. The experiment needs to look at the data and adjust accordingly.

02-Dec-21
I don't think anyone should be judging a kid, I assume its the dad people are looking at. I won't comment on crossbows + kids because 14 is right on the border on the kid/teen spectrum.

But I do think that the mindset of "shot on in his own private land" and "tell them what they can hunt with" is not a good one and I urge you to rethink that. The land is most definitely theirs, but nobody owns the deer. With this logic, who cares if the neighbor throws out 100 gallons of corn on their land? It's their private land, after all!

02-Dec-21

Liberal Mindset's Link
Looks like Trempealeau had a few successful crossbow hunters this fall. Congrats to both hunters if yall follow this site. Don't mind the sour apples. Their sourness most likely stems from jealousy.

02-Dec-21
Not a jealous bone in my body but I agree with alot of what Hh76 says.

Its a magnificent animal and great for the kid but the kill type doesn't impress me. Point, shoot, and bag! Should be the crossbow slogan

02-Dec-21

vilascounty's embedded Photo
vilascounty's embedded Photo
I think trickle nailed it, we need to just look at the data and respond accordingly. I know I was apathetic towards crossbows (have burned an archery tag on one myself in the past, although limited to 20-25 yards. Certainly won't be doing that again), but looking at the data in my specific county is pretty startling. Blue line is crossbow. Red is bow. This is for Vilas County.

Any time you see a graph with a meteoric rise like this, it's probably time to reevaluate things. Just like how we reevaluate doe tags based on harvest data.

I think the crossbow is especially effective in the big woods and that explains why Vilas county xbow kills are outpacing the state as a whole. Why? Because most rifle shots are fairly close range, so adding an extra 20 yards and going from 20-40 yard range is a very big deal. And while I don't totally agree with the "xbow is just as good as a rifle" statement, I think that argument holds a lot of water in places where rifle shots are rarely more than 50 yards.

And of course you don't need to actually draw for a crossbow, which is obviously an enormous advantage, even more so in places where it's thick an you don't see the deer coming until they are right in front of your face sizing up your treestand.

A bit off topic as it looks like this young man was in a well concealed permanent blind and his shot was 20 yards. If I encountered this father son in person, I would certainly congratulate the kid, but silently judge the dad. In fact I'm already judging him for buying his kid a $1000+ crossbow, hah!

02-Dec-21
It all comes down to sharing a resource and experience. Rifle shares. Archery shares. Muzzleloader shares. Xbows are like the bully who barges into the room shoves everyone aside and takes control and exploits the situation to their benefit refuses to share and until someone stand up and says no more the bully gains strength and enlists numbers to his side. That's how gangs work. That's how the Nazis worked. That's how Gengus Kahn worked. I'm not comparing xbow users to any of these groups but the formula is the same. Power in numbers. Look at the data. They are overpowering a resource meant to be shared by several groups. This has to be reined in as it is becoming out of control and will grow even worse left unchecked. Take a piece of the pie by all means but not the whole pie. Share the resource and the experience.

02-Dec-21
I also don’t judge the kid or even his dad for that matter as they are working within the framework that is available to them, but I’m also in the camp that is not impressed with this harvest at all. I’m way more impressed with the guy I know that took a 120” inch off of highly pressured public scouting his butt off and sneaking past everyone else and the deer bedding area with a canoe and waders…that said it’s undeniable the crossbow season as it stands is a flawed framework and I 100% agree the experiment is over and something does needs to change.

02-Dec-21
I personally feel this forum is harsh on individual crossbow users , when we should instead be demonizing the law and the season structure. As well as demonizing those that pushed for, wrote and defend the season structure. Of course I would imagine most crossbow users would not be willing to accept a change, and in that case, I would have some words for them!

Folks are using the most effective, easiest weapon legally available.I am personally also guilty of this, with my scoped muzzleloader whch is pretty much a rifle within a 100 yards. I think most folks toting a crossbow are just that - individual hunters using the most effective weapon, not a coordinated group. If sometihng is legal and effective/easy, people will use it. Nothing has driven that point home for me more than seeing how much baiting there is in the UP, where it is legal.

02-Dec-21
I would like to see numbers on public land xbow kills vs private land xbow kills. I feel the majority of these high xbow numbers are coming from younger folks hunting private property. Areas that are mostly private land have healthy deer numbers and can support the kill numbers we are seeing. I took 2 weeks off this year and hunted 100% public land in 3 different counties. I did not see one person with an Xbow on public ground. I only ran into 5 other hunters in the woods. All vertical. Had 3 guys on camera. All had vertical. Not a large enough sample i get that but im just not seeing hunters on public ground using xbows. I find little value in what Pete writes here but i do agree with him in regards to leaving the private land alone but something needs to be done with the northern public. I would be ok with shutting it all down for 3 years as he has stated. I would even up it to shutting it down for 5 years. Xbows are not responsible for the state we are currently in. Gluttonous hunters from Minnesota and Illinois are more to blame than the xbow.

02-Dec-21
Using only that as how groups in power stay in power. The crossbow hunters have too much power and are going for more. If they get a restricted season how do you think they will respond. By numbers. They won't give a inch. Power in numbers and the crossbow license sales show that power increasing exponentially year over year. You think it's bad now project that 5 years from now. The harvest data will continue it's upward trajectory unchecked. 100,000. 200,000. Can it surpass the rifle numbers? In time yes it sure could. Rifle numbers are decreasing crossbow numbers are increasing. When will those two data points intersect? It is not a inexcusable resource we are talking about. There is only so much to go around. Look at the North Atlantic Cod fishery. What was once thought to be inexhaustible craterd to the point that huge swaths of that fishery are now off limits to save a dying resource. Can that happen with Deer here? I suppose it could.

02-Dec-21
Its a shame that a 71 year old fellow is so worried about what a 14 year old kid shoots with a crossbow.

02-Dec-21
The reason it gets that way on here Vilas is they come on this site and basically shove them into our face and lie, ahhhh, don't like that. There are some on here that have been here for years and years that we all know use them for physical reasons and there is no bashing of them. Someone comes at me with BS, I'm coming right back.

02-Dec-21
All totally valid points. At the risk of having the same conversation over and over again, what would be a possible realistic structure to the crossbow season that people would accept? Of course we'd all like crossbows to just get a week or two, like rifle and muzzle loaders, but I can never see that happeneing.

In my mind, two ideas that stick are keeping crossbow users out of the woods around the prime time (maybe Oct 15- Nov 7 or something) or keeping the crossbow season but it burns your firearm tag.

02-Dec-21
Just a natural progression, first stickbows, then compounds, then modern compounds with huge let offs, then the scoped crossbow, then the modern advanced scoped crossbow.

Bow and arrow hunting will continue to decline in Wisconsin, and much of the US. Congratulations to this scoped crossbow hunter, nice deer!

02-Dec-21
This isn't a argument about are xbows right or wrong. Use or non use. Who gets then who does not. It isn't even restricted to hunters. Facts are stubborn things and the xbow harvest facts speak loudly. Back two decades ago NCAA did not limit the number of scholarships any school could offer football players. You had the powerhouse teams year in and year out. Michigan Ohio State and others had 100+ players in scholarships. Why? To keep their rivals from these players. Then they saw the results and put into effect scholarship limits. What happened? The Iowa States, Wisconsin's, Northwesterns of the world became competitive. No more hoarding players. Crossbow is doing the same. Hoarding a resource and having the most vulnerable time to do it. Other than a one buck state or a seperate season it will grow.

02-Dec-21
Put on the gun tag, out of the prime rut, they can keep them in gun and ML, even late season as those are the worst times to hunt whitetails on public land in WI.

02-Dec-21
Liberal, I've actually had the opposite experience of you. Granted we both offer just isolated anecdotes. I too would like to see some more data breakdown.... age, public vs private, did they also fill a rifle tag, etc etc. I can't think of what I'd do with that data, but it would be interesting to look at

I rarely run into a person during bow season on public, but this year I actually captured 3 different people on camera, and this was not on a trail or anything, but rather in fairly obvious pinch points to anyone who can read a map. All were toting crossbows. What really suprised me was the demographic, all men in the 35-50ish range. All three pics were that last weekend in October and first weekend in November.

Again, just an isolated data point, but to me who has almost captured no people on camera before rifle in years past, 0 to 3 people is a pretty big jump considering the cameras were not on walking trails but just in the woods. And these are crappy $25 cameras with a crappy range. So it's not unreasonable to assume there were a bunch of people walking around that I did not get on camera (I'm not TRYING to get people on camera, just wildlife)

02-Dec-21
Thank you Vilas and Gusto for understanding the meaning of my post and not jumping into a crossbow rant. Yes, I would congratulate the kid however his dad was not doing him any long term favors. I still wish that the crossbow rules would go back to the age and physical ability that used to be in place. That is all. dpms - you are off topic and I do not appreciate your insensitive comment.

02-Dec-21
Liberal. Look at the data. If you see them or not they are out there. Private or public. The kill rate of archery is dropping. The kill rate of rifle is dropping. The kill rate of Muzzleloader is dropping. The Crossbow kill rate is climbing year over year. 4 seperate and distinct seasons and four seperate distinct license sales. 2 license per hunter only allowed. Use your crossbow or rifle or bow or muzzy. Pick which 2 license and season you want. But have a structured season for each. Leave rifle as it is. Leave archery as it is. Expand muzzy season and decrease crossbow season. Crossbow Oct.1-31. muzzy Dec. 1-15. Then crossbow again Dec 15-31. Leave the herd be in Jan.

02-Dec-21
Helluva deer congrats to the kid.

02-Dec-21
That proposal of mine would make everyone happy and share a limited resource. The archer is happy. It preserves our tradition 9 day rifle hunt. It allows opportunity for crossbow. Muzzy is happy. And the most important caveat is having to buy two distinct seperate choice license with a modest fee increase puts tons of money into the DNR pockets. Instead of 3 license you now have 4. Alot of guys would buy a rifle and muzzy. Alot would buy cross and rifle. Alot would buy archery and rifle. You have to keep seperate archery and cross. Now your gonna say guys will buy cross and archery. Sure no problem. But that leaves you out of rifle and muzzy. Pick your season and weapon type buy your two and that's that.

02-Dec-21
"The kill rate of archery is dropping. The kill rate of rifle is dropping. The kill rate of Muzzleloader is dropping. The Crossbow kill rate is climbing year over year."

Yes sir it is, no surprises here.

02-Dec-21
Vilasbowhunter. My comment wasn't insensitive at all. It was you who said you were frustrated that a kid shot a big buck with a crossbow. I simply said that is a shame that you, as a 71 year old fellow, concern yourself with a young kid actually enjoying the sport. We need more like him. I say congrats to to young fellow!!

02-Dec-21
Trickle I think that season structure is extremely reasonable and even TOO generous. Although if we're being frank any compromise that would actually happen would have to be "TOO generous" considering how outnumbered bow hunters are and the overlap between rifle and xbow hunters.

I can't imagine any reasonable person would shut that down...... crossbows during the whole month of October. I'd also like to see the muzzy season a bit longer as you stated (love shooting black powder), but would want more muzzle loader restrictions in place so they are at least somewhat "primitive" (no scopes, etc).

02-Dec-21
Can't take scopes off muzzy and leave them on cross. It is generous. That is what sells them. No two seasons overlap the other besides Archery overlaps them all as it always has making choosing the archery much more attractive to purchase. You still get two bucks and corresponding antlerless in each two package license. The rut isn't expolaited increasing rifle harvest and all groups should be happy. Plenty of opportunity and the cash that the DNR craves. Simple enough

02-Dec-21
You got my vote. I'd be curious to see the dates of crossbow harvest. I know most of my bow kills have been that last week of October, although I see tons of people here tagging out that first week of November. So while cutting off at October 31 is painful to me, I think that fits the bucket of "too generous of a compromise but one that can be sold".

02-Dec-21
Like others I don’t judge the kid, but I do find it unfortunate. The picture is highly staged, the blind is expensive, and the country looks beautiful. It appears this kid has absolutely everything in his favor and I suspect his family takes hunting seriously. To take the ultra easy road after having all of that in his favor just seems unfortunate to me. Image if he had taken that deer at that age with a vertical bow… what an accomplishment that would be! That would be fairly impressive even with all the other stuff in his favor. As it is, with a crossbow, it just is not.

02-Dec-21
It only cuts you out of that first week of November if you are a crossbow hunter. The archery season runs up to and thru rifle and continues on thru Dec 31. Making it a very attractive license to hold. Ask it always has been

02-Dec-21
I would really love that paired with "xbow takes your firearm tag" but I frankly can't see that realistically ever gaining traction.

02-Dec-21
Make your choice. 2 license. Get the crossbow and rifle if you want. If you want the rut get archery and rifle. If you don't hunt cross or bow get the rifle and muzzy. Or buy just one if you only rifle hunt.

02-Dec-21
No can't take cross and eliminate rifle. Got to keep it at 2 bucks per hunter.

02-Dec-21
I like that structure. That's actually sort of how MI operates. You buy a one-buck tag or a two-buck (combo) tag at the beginning of the season. But you can't buy one buck then buy another buck later. You can fill those any way you want in whatever season (with some caveats).

Granted I don't like the idea of two rifle bucks and your proposal solves for that.

02-Dec-21
Correct. You want two bucks you need two license. Rifle hunters only get one if that's how they only hunt. No change for them. The only reduction is to cross in time afield. Which it should have less and rifle hunters will be happy as more bucks left to them in theory. The way cross is those deer are taken by them during rut. Again. Pick your two seasons.

02-Dec-21
Afterall you only can buck hunt in muzzy if you have a unused buck tag for gun or antlerless correct? I don't muzzy so I'm not sure. And I suppose you could include crossbow into rifle season also. Fill your gun buck you could cross if that tag is open to you and unfilled.

02-Dec-21
Yep, that's right. You get one "firearm" buck tag that can be filled either during rifle or during muzzy (or with a bow or xbow during those seasons)

02-Dec-21
I'm closing in on 76 years & it will be cold day in Hell before I hunt with a cross gun.

As I said before we need to spend the next few months hammering the Dnr , politicians, & others hunters to change the Crossbow season to a 2 week hunt .

Start your E-Mails NOW.

02-Dec-21
I will never hunt with a crossbow either!

02-Dec-21
Trickle, Would you continue to allow group hunting with rifle and muzzleloader?

02-Dec-21
Nice buck for a young man, don’t know why you guys are upset over crossbows, if not shot with a crossbow would be shot with a rifle anyways

02-Dec-21
He shot the deer with a gun during bow season. Bowhunters have a problem with that, opportunists do not........Not the boys fault at all.... Hes doing what his parents are instructing him to do...

02-Dec-21
I think group hunting would stay. Can't change too much at one time. I'd like to see that go but I doubt it ever will

02-Dec-21
You don't see know that Hwytohell. By gun he prob done moving by day with rut winding down. If that kid shot it with a real bow think if the pride at school that would have been. Not to mention all the attention. X2 compared to crossgun

02-Dec-21
The seasons are dumb, if you have two tags you should be able to shoot them when you want with whatever weapon you want.

02-Dec-21
the vast majority of 14 to 71 year olds can pull a 40lb. vertical bow. my son did it many times at 12. I bought 2 Pse carbon mach 1 for western hunting this year and just ordered a 60lb. Pse drive for wisconsin only that can be turned down to 40 lbs as i age. I will never pick up an xgun, camera time and a diaper at that point.

02-Dec-21
Liberal said, "What gives you the right to tell somebody what they can hunt with on their own private property? Im guessing you own property adjacent and were hoping to kill that deer? Its sad we are now to the point where grown adults are judging what a 14 year old kid shot on his own private land." As HH76 stated, we all have the right to tell others what to do and that is done through our vote. It strikes me funny that a liberal, the ones who are constantly trying to tell others what to do, said this. I chalk it up to liberal hypocrisy and/or ignorance. To address the other part of his errant comment, the wildlife belongs to all in the state, not the landowner, so who owned the land is irrelevant. As much as it has been beat to death, using a shoulder held, scoped weapon during a season designed for more primitive weapons can only lead to future issues. To think different is ignorant, greedy or lazy. Or, maybe a bit of all three.

02-Dec-21
I really could care less what the kid shot the deer with. Good to see kids out hunting instead of in a zombie state playing video games. However the way the article was naming products like they were shopping for sponsors really turned my stomach.

02-Dec-21
What is dumb is a 4 month crossbow/crossgun season. Free rein to use what amounts to a 100+ yard weapon that is more like a .30/.30 than it is a bow. To even use the word bow with those modern killing machines is ludicrous.

02-Dec-21
Dupont, like your son, both my daughters started archery hunting with vertical bows at 12 yrs of age. At age 19, drawing 42 #'s, one of them cleanly killed a Colorado elk with a complete pass through at 41 yards. Most any able-bodied person using a crossbow is not using that weapon because they cannot use an adequately powered vertical bow, they are simply showing their laziness and greed by using a superior weapon to gain advantage.

02-Dec-21
Another troll, probably the same one....

02-Dec-21
Until it’s not a legal weapon in the archery season please stop your whining.

02-Dec-21

Missouribreaks's Link

02-Dec-21
Capt. Refreshing to hear a dad spent the hours, days teaching kids a skill, hard work, practice, and that rewards are earned thru work and prep.

02-Dec-21
Hwy, do you think laws just "happen?" Why don't you please stop your whining when some people are looking for a change in the law?

02-Dec-21
A seasoned sportsman taking 60 yd wounding shots with a longbow will be forever romanticized but a clean kill for a relatively new hunter with modern tech in much less yards is ostracized?

Can someone explain this to me?

02-Dec-21
"I would really love that paired with "xbow takes your firearm tag" but I frankly can't see that realistically ever gaining traction."

Realistically nothing being discussed here will ever gain traction or happen. Only those still living in fantasy land think crossbow season might be shortened without other deer hunting seasons being shortened along with it. That's one of the reasons hunters never get anywhere as a group, the loudest are usually the most ignorant.

02-Dec-21
"the loudest are usually the most ignorant." We hear you, loud and clear!

02-Dec-21

02-Dec-21
The regulations need to change if the DNR wants to keep with tradition. If the goal to keep hunters in the woods and have a certain number of deer harvested, then crossbow regulations won’t change. - I hunt a great bit of private property and usually have many big bucks within 50 yards in late October, but…,usually not inside 25… if I wanted to eliminate all that is great about bow hunting for me, I’d buy a cross bow and shoot the big boy every year.

That said, I am sure a cross bow is better for those who don’t have time to develop good skills with the bow. From this perspective there would be fewer wounded deer. That’s a good thing.

A gun-like bow during the rut feels like cheating relative to the past, but that’s my personal opinion.

I’d vote in favor of cross bows before Oct 15 and After Nov 15

02-Dec-21
HunterR, while change is not likely, especially in terms of "taking away" as opposed to "giving", it is not out of the realm of possibility.

If you asked me if WI would ever ban trail cams, I would say that is outlandish and would be so unpopular it would never happen. But take a look at AZ, "A 5-0 vote from the Arizona Game and Fish Department means trail cameras will no longer be legal in 2022."

My point is isn't about trail cams, my point is that "take-away" game and fish laws can certainly happen. I know it's not a perfect parallel, but I think it's an interesting example.

A bit closer to home, they actually enacted no-keeper-walleye until 2025 (?) on the Minocqua chain of lakes So drastic and unpopular things do happen!

https://www.bowhunter.com/editorial/arizona-total-ban-game-cameras/393949

03-Dec-21
Well said BB81! I feel the same.

03-Dec-21
Can someone explain to me why using guns during an archery season is romanticized but the idea of only using bows during archery season is ostracized?

03-Dec-21
There is only a small number of hunters that feel a crossbow is a gun, and that number is shrinking , times change, be glad it’s only a crossbow soon enough firearms will be the entire season as well.

Use what weapon you want there is plenty of opportunities, regular archery hunters were spoiled for too long, almost like an entitlement, they think it can’t be taken away.

03-Dec-21
Alot feel it's like a gun or they would be bowhunting with a real bow. They just hate admitting it. By the way, welcome to BOWSITE Angus.

03-Dec-21
Archery season was an entitlement? So..... it was only open to certain people to participate? Some were allowed to buy a license and some were denied? Your confused, but lucky for you I'm here. The entitlement came when this country turned into a mob of whiney, sniveling crybabies who demanded the world accommodate them because there to damn lazy to accomplish anything on their own. Think of welfare. Same thing as cross guns. Crossguns are a welfare program for bow season set up to accommodate perfectly able bodied people whose affliction in life is laziness coupled with mental illness (thinking a crossgun is a bow). I agree they aren't going anywhere. Once you give "freebies" to the able bodied lazy, they learn to become experts at playing the victim role so the entitlement keeps coming. And then they raise there kids with the same outlook.

03-Dec-21
I actually agree with you sir, but just change a few words around and the exact same argument applies to what used to be archers.

03-Dec-21
The entitlement came when this country turned into a mob of whiney, sniveling OLD FARTS who demanded the world accommodate them because there to damn STUBBORN to ACCEPT CHANGE on their own. Think of welfare. Same thing as OLD ARCHERS. OLD ARCHERS are a welfare program for bow season set up to accommodate perfectly able bodied people whose affliction in life is NEVER ACCEPTING CHNGE coupled with mental illness (thinking BOW SEASON Is SACRED ). I agree they aren't going anywhere, UNTIL THEY CROAK. Once you give "freebies" to the OLD ARCHERS , they learn to become experts at playing the victim role so the entitlement keeps coming. And then they raise there kids with the same outlook.

03-Dec-21
Retro, that is one of the all time best posts on this forum. I agree with you.

03-Dec-21
How could anyone convince someone not to buy a crossbow? I have nothing. I believe xbows should only have been available for the disabled and I stand behind it. But my belief isn't everybodies.

03-Dec-21
Retro for the win. The best post on string guns I have read. Thanks you, I hope you dont mind me sharing that one. Hyw, there was a provision for old farts and you know it. Try not to be so obtuse. I have friends who shoot stickbows at 75 and 80 years old.

03-Dec-21
Retro, you hit a homer! Out of the park!

03-Dec-21
I put the blame on the state for letting it happen.

03-Dec-21
Archery hunting was an entitlement? That statement alone gives great insight into the frame of mind of this person.

03-Dec-21
The sad thing is that this kid shot this deer thinking that he was bowhunting, he was not. There is less challenge in using a crossbow. Nice deer, glad the young man is a hunter and has had success but will he ever truly appreciate all of this? Several years ago I was watching a deer hunting show where the celebrity hunter parents took the son out for his first muzzleloader hunt. He shot a 150 class buck. In the video, he complained and was not happy that he did not get a deer over 170.

RutnStrut, did you mean to say "Couldn't care less"? not "could care less"?

03-Dec-21
All of this same bs was brought up when compounds came out, the traditionalists died and now we are just in the next phase.

Then it will be crossbows when the airbow comes out and is legalized, get with it or get left behind.

03-Dec-21
Another head buryier...

Angus are you excited about YOUR next FREE money via the stimulus check if it happens? Any idea on when it might arrive as I'm sure you are up on that too.

03-Dec-21
Retro for the win!

There is a page on the Book of Faces called Wisconsin Bowhunters. (Not the Org.) and the Xbow users were posting their kills there and I told them to post their stuff on their own page this is a bowhunting page. The admin. messaged me and told me to stand down or be banned. I told him to change the name of the group then. Until then I will defend the sport for what it’s meant to be and you might as well ban me now. So far I’m still there. LOL

03-Dec-21
"...get with it or get left behind." And the sheep went "baah."

03-Dec-21
DT, +1

03-Dec-21
I can’t wait for my next stimy, need to upgrade my optics.

03-Dec-21
Capt

Nothing written in stone that archery has the longest season of any hunt. Be ready to be shortened.

Kinda like letting people fish during the wallet spawn if you can only use a cane pole.

03-Dec-21
Alwaysright why did you change your handle to Hwytohell? Rabble rouser much.

03-Dec-21
Hmmm... wallet spawn.... shows what we are dealing with.

03-Dec-21
I agree, there is nothing written in stone. However, that season was shaped and designed based on the success rate, herd size, etc. crossbows have a much higher success rate and could lead to a shortened season. That is where my dislike for them comes from. My goal in bowhunting is not to go out and kill a deer every year but much more, you enjoy my time in the woods.

03-Dec-21
Thanks Trickle, I will ignore him from now on.

03-Dec-21
Droptine, I agree. There obviously also to lazy to start there own website. To much work...

03-Dec-21
Living rent free 24/7/365.

You fellas crack me up

03-Dec-21
Beautiful animal great to see it harvested by a young bow hunter

03-Dec-21

Alwaysright's Link

03-Dec-21

Alwaysright's embedded Photo
Alwaysright's embedded Photo
Popular topic on crossbow nation

03-Dec-21

MjF's Link

03-Dec-21
Alwaysright, Throw your Ravin away

03-Dec-21
An archer shoots himself in the foot, oh I can’t hardly hold myself back.

03-Dec-21
I'm going to play a little devil's advocate here. Yes crossbows take almost zero skill to shoot. But a hunter still has to have some skills to put themselves in the right position to kill a mature animal. Just because you walk into the woods with a crossbow doesn't mean 200" deer start running to you.

03-Dec-21
"Yes crossbows take almost zero skill to shoot." This, in and of itself, offers a huge advantage over a vertical bow and should preclude it from being used during the rut, same reason why WI does not allow firearms during the rut. Need to be lucky to have a big one walk by but the numbers do not lie, the crossbow is a far more efficient weapon than a hand drawn, hand held bow.

03-Dec-21
Rut, there's some truth to what you're saying, but how many times have you had a monster show it's self during archery season, but you couldn't reach it with your vertical bow? Happens almost every season to me. They would be on the wall if I was using a xbow. With that said, I'll continue using my bow until I'm no longer able to pull it back.

03-Dec-21
Most teens and 20 somethings have been coddled and spoonfed from the nipple. Work???sweat??? 11 million jobs available and most won't feel the gratification of hard work. The xgun is perfect for the lazy, edible eaters. So sad to see the archery heritage vanish. Really pathetic to see able bodied dudes, carry the xgun. Blew my left shoulder up 9/1, still fought thru an elk and deer hunt. The xbow clan will quit when life gets tuff, and it does and will. My group who I introduced to bow hunting 25 years ago are pse factory sponsored. We are all aging, anyone who picks up an xgun is out of the group. Doesn't affect my hunting at all because I won't allow an xgun on my chunk. Sad thinking about the hunting future when the average age is 59 and we assume room tempature daily.i don't blame the kid. His dad took the easy way. Good luck in life kid.

04-Dec-21
You guys are friggin' hilarious. I've been reading this forum for a bit and I can't help but laugh at how much butt hurt comes when someone arrows a nice deer with a crossbow. Pretty much every failure you guys have in your own hunting is the fault of crossbow hunters and/or cell cams. @dupont sorry I'm one of those younger guys who uses a crossbow to kill deer so I can fill my freezer. I only work 5-600 hours of overtime a year and live in town where it's illegal for me to shoot a bow; so I'd rather not spend my free time / money to go a range in order to ensure I can actually make an ethical shot on an animal. You guys are bashing a 14 year old kid for shooting the buck of a lifetime. If it's that easy, buy your own land, pay the taxes, put up a box blind so you can draw your compound or traditional without being seen and put a monster on your wall.

04-Dec-21
Maybe if some of these whiners would practice a little more with there modern compounds, they could add 10-20 yds to their range and kill that wall hanger every year as they claim, if it ain’t on the wall it never happened.

04-Dec-21
Guy123 says, I'm one of those younger guys who uses a crossbow. I only work 5-600 hours of overtime a year".  so I'd rather not spend my free time / money to go a range in order to ensure I can actually make an ethical shot on an animal ...

I laughed so hard reading this post. What is it 5 hours ?? Or 600 hours year? Also, you dont have time or want to spend money at a range but have time and money for Jim Beam? Funny how you come out of the dark after so long just to express your laughter for the guys who are passionate in the real sport of archery and then you explain exactly why you shoot one. I'm not even going to say anything more.

04-Dec-21
Noc just ignore the trolls. They’re probably all the same idiot with multiple handles.

04-Dec-21
Keep thinking that way, you old farts are quickly becoming the minority, I guess as long as you have excuses for not being successful that’s like that matters.

04-Dec-21
14 yr old archer figures it out in the first year he bow hunts and gets it done while others spend a lifetime and hundreds of thousands of dollars trying but unwilling to change to see success.

04-Dec-21
Yup, just another idiot troll here. You guys wonder why vertical bow hunting is dying? I came here because I love deer hunting, I love learning new tips, and seeing success that people are having. But a lot of you are self righteous a-holes with a holier than thou attitude. Pretty much every thread turns into woe is me garbage with the same handful of guys interjecting their sky is falling assessment of deer hunting in Wisconsin. 2021 has been the best season for me ever, and it wasn’t because I used a crossbow, it’s because I busted my ass in the off season making my land a better environment for deer. This kid and his dad probably busted their asses working on their place which helped provide the opportunity for him to get a shot at a monster buck. But I guess that doesn’t matter on here because all that preseason sweat equity is cheating since he didn’t use your weapon of choice.

04-Dec-21
What you trolls do not understand and never will it is not about the kill. It is not about the wall it is not about the ease of kill. Archers are not out there solely for taking a deer. If archers only cares about the kill well.....we wouldn't be archers. We we would be crossbow hunters. When a archer does take that trophy be it a doe or a spike or a 170 class animal that is what it is. A Trophy. Taken fair and square under fair chase abiding by the laws. Also what you don't get is filling that tag is for the most part not a cause for celebration but can be just as sad knowing that now for this year the chase and immersion in nature is over. So if it was just about taking game I'd use a crossbow as would alot of guys on here. It is just easier takes no skill or much woodsmanship. You trolls are killers. Not hunters. Blatant killers and takers. Take take take

04-Dec-21
Well we all hope you feel better now that you got that out. Back to the never ending crossbow debate. Btw... Most of us are sick of it too but your introduction was less than classy, at best.

04-Dec-21
Guy123 you do not know diddly squat about how much work they did to get that buck. Your projecting what you want to hear. As far as you know they could have worked their tails off hunted hard done all you said or..... could have shot it using a cell cam knowing what time it came to the bird feeder or corn pile or apple tree and hid behind their grill on their deck. You do not know. You are projecting what you want to hear plain and simple. You had a good year. Congrats. You worked hard. Hurray. But who made you the all knowing Wizard?

04-Dec-21
Didn’t realize I needed a classy intro here when Trickle makes his opinion known on every thread that my chosen way of hunting is “blatant killing and taking”. I’m sure that’s what this 14 year old deer murderer did as well. Just to the right of him cropped out of the picture are the other 7 does he blasted the same time he killed that 200 plus inch buck lol. Good grief.

04-Dec-21
Trickle, you’re right I don’t know that they did or didn’t do . But man the irony of you claiming I’m projecting and only hearing what I want to hear. I’m sure in your mind it’s unfathomable that anyone who doesn’t hunt your prescribed way is incapable of putting in work.

04-Dec-21
You busted your ass in the off season, but you don't have time to practice? Lol!!!! Your just another whiney little crossbow Sally trying to justify your reason for taking the easy button. It's your problem your lazy, don't come here looking for pity.... Start your own site with people who are like you.....

04-Dec-21
“It is not about the wall it is not about the ease of kill. Archers are not out there solely for taking a deer. If archers only cares about the kill well.....we wouldn't be archers.”

If this statement from trickle is true, why do a bunch of grown men get insanely jealous of a 14yr old kid?? Hmm kind of proofs the point that these chest thumpers only want the entitlement of having the big bucks to themselves so it is easier for them.

Guy 123 welcome, you will find more hypocrisy here than in DC.

04-Dec-21
Listen pal hear the echo? You just confirmed everything we just said. And you continue to project.

04-Dec-21
I do not detect any jealousy at all. I detect animosity for using a gun during archery season knucklehead. And by the way we are still waiting for your proof of Fred Bear violating. I didn't forget about that. So you got it or does the my pillow guy have it for you and hadn't sent it yet? Waiting

04-Dec-21
If you fellas only cared about “the hunt” you are doing that so wth does it matter if someone carries a legal crossbow? Waiting

04-Dec-21
Sorry I didn’t see your post earlier Retro. Didn’t realize I was looking for a pity party? Please explain to me how a bunch of grown men upset that a teenager used a crossbow legally on private land to harvest a mature deer is indicative of me needing pity. I apologize for disrupting your daily echo chamber. Hopefully you all aren’t as miserable in real life.

04-Dec-21
I already clearly posted earlier it has nothing to do with the kid. He's doing what his parents instructed him to do. Not his fault, nor do I care in the least what kind of deer he shot. I care about bow seasons existence being threatened by it being turned into a 4 month gun season.

04-Dec-21
Well this certainly sparked another worn out debate. For all you trolls, I just might be the kid's Grandpa who doesn't agree with the parents decision to buy him a $1000 x-bow and a $500 Ozonics system.

04-Dec-21
I will break it down quite easily.

Lazy archers thought they could spend a couple 100k, buy land, buy some fancy Muddy blind enclosed, spend some more money on bait plots all in an effort to consistently make harvesting a selfie buck that they can show off easy. Have numerous “shooter” bucks available close so they don’t need to work hard at finding one.

Now anyone with a few hundred dollars can buy a set up crossbow, learn to shoot it in a day and sit on a stump next to someone’s quarter million investment and kill “their” deer.

It’s almost comical if not so sad on what hunting has become.

Hate your neighbor week everyday.

04-Dec-21
I don't think it is a bunch of trolls, just a couple or possibly just one demented one who enjoys conversing with himself, when he is not making handmade canoes. LOL!

04-Dec-21
AR you nailed it

There are a lot of sour grapes out there, but are to stuck in the past to accept change, as I see they will still haul a firearm around.

04-Dec-21
X2 capt Remember the guy who claimed to makes canoes on here a year or so ago? He posted pictures on here claiming to be his work but someone else found those same pictures from another source selling them in the Carolinas? Then that guy on here disappeared? Or not

04-Dec-21
No one else thinks its funny they thought that deer was a 2.5 year old last year

04-Dec-21
Noc, I sure do remember. I am positive this is the same demented guy. So sad a person can be like that.

04-Dec-21
Boy this guy sounds like a legend, and has influenced many by the sounds of it.

04-Dec-21
How many names does one get to have. Always..HtoH, how many more besides to old ones. Neverbait and so many more. They were all hellofa good canoe builders.

04-Dec-21
Which one had the "walls" (not wall) full of deer mounts? Lol! Then Nocturnal called him out and.... crickets!!!!! That was to funny......

04-Dec-21
Why do you guys keep responding to the db.

04-Dec-21
LOL Retro! It really was!

04-Dec-21

04-Dec-21
No pic but lots of hot air. For someone who does not post pictures to brag, you sure made up for it with that post. Carry on, 'ol son!

04-Dec-21
Wow sidekick that’s impressive, what did you shout that toad with?

04-Dec-21
Congrats to the young man on a great deer. He shot it legally using an xbow in the xbow season. Doesn't not appear that he's a violator like at least one poster here is.

04-Dec-21

04-Dec-21
Hyytohell, I shot it with a CROSSBOW AT 22 YARDS, 222 6/8. AND JUST AS HAPPY IF I HAD KILLED IT WITH A ROCK...

04-Dec-21
Congratulations no hate here, that’s an impressive buck

04-Dec-21
Hahaha! Some real gems....

Stop fibbing, you wouldn't put the effort in to throw a rock at it. Used a Crossgun instead cause its easier than throwing a rock.

04-Dec-21
Weird how you sidekick chime in boasting about your trophy wall when not a single soul asked?

Oh and by the way. Check the yearly kill thread. CaptMike is always there. LOL

04-Dec-21
+1 on the blowhole observation

04-Dec-21
Do you have as many deer heads as you do handles???? Which one of your handles has shot the most?? Lol!!!!!! Ya mental case...Lol!!!!!

04-Dec-21

04-Dec-21

05-Dec-21
"No one else thinks its funny they thought that deer was a 2.5 year old last year"

Actually yes I thought about that when I read it. Although not impossible for a 3.5 year old to be a 200" deer. It is very improbable.

• Sitka Gear