Arrownoob 03-Dec-21
hickstick 03-Dec-21
hickstick 03-Dec-21
MA-PAdeerslayer 03-Dec-21
Let's Go 03-Dec-21
02-Dec-21

hickstick's embedded Photo
hickstick's embedded Photo
there have been several debates regarding archery hunting throughout firearms seasons and whether you need a archery stamp.

well I just created my account on the new masshuntfish system and wouldn't you know it....it shows the archery stamp EXPIRED. lol

This confirms my thought all along. the stamp is for the season, not the implement. ie you do not need an archery stamp to bowhunt during shotgun season.

02-Dec-21
I’ve always wondered but never asked because what kind of a whack job would hunt with a bow during gun season and not one day before because of $5?

02-Dec-21
Noob, if anyone tried to save 5 bucks with that strategy, your psychological assessment is accurate. 100%! HA!

That's interesting Hick. It never really hit me, because I tend to gun hunt during gun season but also because I just assumed it was for bowhunting that year, so for the 21 season. And I always had it with, so never thought of it beyond that.

This would certainly suggest it's for the season, and the lesser weapon law just lets you handicap yourself if you want.

Come to think of it, that explains why you can hunt with a bow during ML season but need a Primitive Weapons stamp...

02-Dec-21

Z9_MA's embedded Photo
Z9_MA's embedded Photo
My understanding is, you can hunt with a bow during shotgun but need a “Primitive” stamp to use a bow during Muzzleloader.

02-Dec-21
Z9 for the win. For as long as I can remember the regs have always been clear about what weapon is allowed and what season/stamp is required for that season.

02-Dec-21
So z9, GED and I are in agreement.

Will, AFA archery during firearms season. It's situational for me. If I'm hunting 'with the guys' it's gun, but by myself on the private land it's usually bow ....unless like today where my freezer is empty.

It also depends on proximity to houses. Buddy just sent me a pic of a huge buck from the Woodlot behind my house. So I may bow on Saturday if I hunt there. If I go to the farm or with the guys it'll be the muzzleloader.

03-Dec-21
Apparently you do need a 'Primitive Firearms' stamp to hunt the ML season, even if you're using a bow (?)

03-Dec-21
Correct Dana

03-Dec-21
I’m not sure the statute of limitations but I may recall possibly scrambling to purchase a primitive stamp after a harvest during primitive season.

03-Dec-21
Correct Dana. The stamp covers the season, regardless of implement.

03-Dec-21
That's why I looked yesterday Noob. Wanted to make sure I'd bought the primitive stamp. Lol

03-Dec-21
Talk about self incrimination hahaha

03-Dec-21
This would include no permit needed for Primitive Firearms during shotgun season too. Stay safe out their my friends... Let's Go

• Sitka Gear