SIP 09-Dec-21
Rut Nut 09-Dec-21
Red Beastmaster 10-Dec-21
Dale Hajas 10-Dec-21
horsethief51 10-Dec-21
SIP 11-Dec-21
Rut Nut 12-Dec-21
02-Dec-21
Used to be a regular topic on here and always lots of fun too:) Monday was my first encounter with acidosis.

Bro was heading off the mountain and into town when he discovered a spike laying along the roadside, still but barely alive. Having discovered poached deer here in this area- no rifle hunting - before, he called and the PGC warden put the deer out of its misery, tagged it, offered it to my bro, and told him to gut it at home instead of near the road. In the past we were given a poached deer and asked to remove any bullets for evidence. Warden mentioned he couldnt find any bullet holes, and it seems that this year, there was an abundance of bucks found dead with no signs of being poached. It is a possibility that bucks literally ran themselves to death on some areas.

As bro gutted the little spike, the entrails would drop into the old Rubbermaid container underneath. Upon opening the hide on the stomach, he wanted to see what this little bugger was feeding upon. As he cut the stomach, as if a dam were broken, out came about 2 gallons of clear water, no stench at all, and at least 2 buckets of corn mostly undigested kernels. Very little green or brown. We were looking at proof of at least one deer, a yearling, that had died from acidosis. Nothing smelled, like a normal deer kill’s entrails. I took the heart and liver, and realized the liver was the only foul odor. We called the GC and reported our findings. Of course the housing area, totally wooded, Has a cbow target and corn piles virtually every block.

I have always supported a year round supplemental feeding, corn if you can go year round, as there are very few farms in this area.

Both my bro and I are having other thoughts about using corn after witnessing thus event. I can post a pic of the contents tomorrow, its certainly not pretty, if mods permit it, I will do so.

03-Dec-21
I’ve heard about it, but never actually seen it happen.

03-Dec-21
Same as Rut Nut, heard of it but never actually saw it. Bummer for that little fella and glad he was dispatched without too much suffering hopefully. Also glad you were able to get the meat and it didn't go to waste and thanks for sharing your findings with us.

03-Dec-21
Im figuring there is 1 farm in a 1mile radius. But with so many homes in this wooded area, putting out corn, and most likely Walmart corn, he didnt have to go far for food. I would bet if it were several farms encompassing small woodlots, I bet it wouldnt be an issue.

04-Dec-21
Dale- We have a lot of private communities here in the Poconos that are surrounded by woods. The people that live in the city and then relocate up here think it’s great to put corn out on their driveway and watch 30 deer come in to eat!

I had a buddy that lived in one that bordered State Forrest. He could literally walk out his back door and hunt on the S.F. His next door neighbor was an old lady that would feed the deer from a coffee can. She would walk out and rattle the can and the deer would come running. Whenever she would see him walking out with his bow she would yell “DON’T shoot MY deer!”

I told him he should take a coffee can out with him when he goes out to hunt, throw some pebbles in it, and “rattle” some deer in! ;-)

04-Dec-21
Seen that exact same thing in 5D. They had a home depot orange bucket and bang it on a railing and they would come running... January, 40 deer bedded up in her backyard Nothing that you can do.

05-Dec-21
Yes on purpose. :)

05-Dec-21
Dale you are so full of hate! ;)

05-Dec-21
:)

05-Dec-21
Lmao. That Dale…always sippin on that Haterade….Its sad…;^)

06-Dec-21
Haterade? lolol That’s pretty good!

06-Dec-21
Any off taste to the meat or toughness? I am hesitant taking a deer that is sick like that, so I probably wouldn’t have gotten that far with determining the problem. However, it sounds like you got the cause figured out.

06-Dec-21
The meat had no foul smell at all. Nor did the stomach contents. I ate the heart last weekend, and after soaking the liver, I figured if there was anything with an issue it would've been the liver, so it got tossed today.

Remember it was still alive when the GW put him down. In fact its been in the garage hanging and I just started processing today:) We called and left a message about our discovery and the consumption of the critter to the GW. But we did have a thought about that too.

07-Dec-21
Interesting, your post made me read up on this a bit. Seems the animals die rather quickly (within 24 to 48 hours of ingesting large quantities) so the fact the GW put him down means it wasn't very long. Since the animal doesn't linger or starve to death they are usually in good body condition. I was initially wondering if any buildup of acid or something be in the bloodstream to affect taste or texture. Glad to see the deer being put to good use. Enjoy!!

07-Dec-21
Now I worry more about the quality of corn/feed being sold, as I did about deer eating corn year round. Just how crappy can out of state non-human consumated corn be? Just my ramblings…

07-Dec-21
Corn hatered

07-Dec-21
Yeah, what did corn ever do to him?

07-Dec-21
I hate big ears:)

09-Dec-21
Kernel Anger over here…

09-Dec-21
New nickname for Dale: Kernel Anger! LMBO! : )

10-Dec-21
Awesome!

10-Dec-21
Oh brother…….. lol

10-Dec-21
I didn't read it and thought you guys were saying Colonel Anger. That could kind of fit too. LOL>

11-Dec-21
;^)

12-Dec-21
Yes- I was definitely thinking dual meaning Art! ;-)

• Sitka Gear