JayD 06-Dec-21
Babysaph 06-Dec-21
babysaph 06-Dec-21
JayD 07-Dec-21
babysaph 07-Dec-21
woodstick 07-Dec-21
Babysaph 07-Dec-21
03-Dec-21
Our archery season in 2020 was the 6th highest kill on record.

Crossbow harvest represented 21%-76% of entire antlered archery harvest per county. So we have bow only counties with at least 21% crossbow kill of antlered deer?

Seems our harvest dynamics have shifted largely to archery and with a focus on crossbows.

Thoughts?

03-Dec-21
LOL ok I will bite -

So are you saying strictly archery harvest for 2020 or are you talking about the archery/crossbow harvest?

As to the crossbow harvest percentages - where did you find those numbers ? I would love to see it. Not saying I don’t trust you - would just like to see the numbers.

Then did I read correctly that you are saying 21% crossbow kill in bow only counties? I never realized they could be used there when did that happen?

As to the last part of your post there on the harvest dynamics and how it has shifted - can you show the numbers you are using for this?

03-Dec-21

Anglinscreek's embedded Photo
Crossbows can be used by people with the medical exemption in the four counties that are bowhunting only. So yes 20-24% of archery kills in the four BOW only counties are crossbow harvest.

03-Dec-21

03-Dec-21
2020 was a very low rifle harvest and the rifle total has largely been on a steady decline. 2020 buck only firearms season ranked 39 of all past year's.

The muzzleloader harvest is way down overall and last year's harvest ranked 29th out of 36 years the muzzleloader season has existed in WV.

However, our archery season in 2020 was the 6th highest kill on record.

Crossbow harvest represented 21%-76% of entire antlered archery harvest per county. So we have bow only counties with at least 21% crossbow kill of antlered deer?

Seems our harvest dynamics have shifted largely to archery and with a focus on crossbows. So JAYD, when your muzzleloader is 29th of all time, buck gun is 39th, but archery is 6th highest on record. That is why I say maybe harvest dynamics have shifted.

Thoughts?

03-Dec-21
Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I completely forgot about the big game bulletin this year. Been to busy with work and other things.

Not going to comment on your comments just express my thoughts.

I think the percentages can be a little misleading though - must admit I am not sure what they are trying to really prove with some of it in the big game bulletin.

So as to archery having 6th highest harvest on record - I would put an asterisk by that since crossbows make up 55% of the harvest - and archery and crossbows are suppose to be separate seasons. I totally agree with WVBA that they should not be included together.

I think with using the numbers and breaking it down by seasons it would be more informative to see the total deer harvest percentages as - gun 66%, crossbows 16%, archery 13% and muzzleloader 4%. I think this is a better representation of it JMO.

As to harvest dynamics shifting - oh I will agree with it but I think there are many reasons for that as well. I will list just a couple: first I think it was PA that did the study that said with the addition of crossbows - they saw that it really didn’t bring many new hunters in but more gun hunters took up hunting with the crossbow. Next I think voluntarily - hunters are becoming more selective - so those 2 seasons hunters who are successful with the bow or crossbow - are probably holding out for a bigger buck during rifle season. Just my thoughts - I am not saying I guarantee that is happening. I can think of a few more reasons but not going to lengthen this out anymore.

As to the shift of harvest dynamics - I think you still need to look at the overall percentages and see that guns still take an overwhelming majority of the harvest 66% of the total deer harvest and if you switch it to just bucks I believe the gun buck harvest makes up about 70% of the total buck harvest.

As to too many bucks being killed before the rut - just by looking at these numbers from the bulletin - well actually I will continue in another post - need to go look at something

03-Dec-21
Ok someone posted in another thread about the gobbler harvest something like if 39% were killed before breeding it would affect reproduction or something like that

So just by going by the numbers from the bulletin- the only bucks that should be killed before breeding seasons would be with the bow and crossbow. So when you combine the 2 it looks like they make up about 30% of the total buck kill. How much of that percentage is before breeding? I would think that at the very least 2 or 4 percent of them are killed after peak breeding - heck maybe more. So is 20 something percent of our buck harvest too many being killed before breeding? I would be interested to know what the data is on that. Haven’t some states had crossbows for years - wonder if there is any research there? In Ohio didn’t the archery/crossbow harvest surpass the gun harvest several years ago?

03-Dec-21
Wow that is a lot of hunters with medical exemptions. I smell a rat. And those are just the successful hunters. I tried to tell you guys about those crossbows. Put em in with the gun season. I say the DNR is getting what they want. Dead deer

05-Dec-21
I got a new blow gun today. Imma use poison darts. What season do I use that in? I’m too weak to carry a crossbow or rifle

05-Dec-21
I got a new blow gun today. Imma use poison darts. What season do I use that in? I’m too weak to carry a crossbow or rifle

05-Dec-21
The Air Bow is the next stain on the Archery Season! It will be on the legislative agenda in 2022.

05-Dec-21
Wow.

06-Dec-21
Larry - before I assume anything - the next stain on archery season - what are the previous stains? Want to make things clear before my next comment. Thank you

06-Dec-21
They wanted dead deer. They are getting dead deer. What’s not to like?

06-Dec-21
What were the number of deer killed with a crossbow and what were the number killed with a vertical bow?

07-Dec-21
I think 17437 were killed with crossbow and 14127 were killed with bow.

I still don’t know why the two are lumped together since they are separate seasons. I think someone dropped the ball on that decision.

07-Dec-21
Even though they are separate seasons it sounds like they are counting the crossbow kills as bow kills. Different weapon altogether.

07-Dec-21
That data needs separated for sure. If the pre-rut buck harvest proves to be affecting the reproduction rate, the simple fix would be a lowered bag limit on antlered bucks. If it is crossbow heavy, that season could run concurrent with the firearms seasons after the main rut. Those medical excuses seem to be easy to get. I live in an archery only county and you'd be surprised how many adults use crossbows. I couldn't say if they're all legal though. Must be harder for youth hunters to get an excuse, they seem to be using bows more.

07-Dec-21
Have to include everyone. I know guys that have never bowhunted before that now crossbow hunt. They wont use em during rifle season and the DNR knows that so they run it the same time as the bow season to kill more deer. That’s what they want or they would run it during rifle season

• Sitka Gear