Lunker 09-Dec-21
Big Dog 09-Dec-21
swamphunter1966 09-Dec-21
EwadeZ7X 10-Dec-21
Lunker 10-Dec-21
Wilgabeast 10-Dec-21
Wilgabeast 10-Dec-21
05-Dec-21
I’m interested to know if a game warden can confiscate a deer from a hunter with no citation or violation issued . Simply confiscated my friends deer saying he suspects it was harvested or tagged illegally . The deer had the tag attached to it filled out and was shot legally . This just seems like it can’t be legal

05-Dec-21
That sounds fishing. Is there more to the story? Not saying there is just curious. Doesn’t seem like that’s legitimate on the wardens behalf.

05-Dec-21
The warden said they supspect the deer was harvested or tagged illegally . Made him help put the deer in the truck . Told him they would be in touch to follow up and left . Hasn’t heard from them since .

05-Dec-21
If I HONESTLY didn't do anything wrong there's no way he'd be taking MY deer without arresting me !!!!

05-Dec-21
This is not the first incident I’ve heard with this certain officer taking deer through intimidation and scare tactics . Almost to the point of misconduct from my understanding

05-Dec-21
This is not the first incident I’ve heard with this certain officer taking deer through intimidation and scare tactics . Almost to the point of misconduct from my understanding

05-Dec-21
May b call his superior. When and if there is no record then there is a huge problem and the canoe cop is left holding the ....venison. Just like hi I'm making a follow up call. My deer was confiscated by ......one of your officers

05-Dec-21
Dude, I would be at the DCR office immediately!! Take a picture of his face, list his name, the area he monitors. F this dude.

Then again, I feel like I’m getting only part of the story. Either way EPOs are douche bags.

Anyhow, on an unrelated note, valve stems aren’t nail cutter proof, and fast drying foam in a gas tank will put a car out of business.

05-Dec-21
???? good to know

05-Dec-21
good to know

05-Dec-21
Sosso, ??WOW

05-Dec-21
Geez sounds like I'M on the Maine forum lol but yes avoid them they are not your friends .

05-Dec-21
I would pursue this for sure. If the DCR office doesn't help I would go to the local PD. If its true this guy needs to lose his job right before he gets his ass beat.

I agree with above he wouldn't get my legally harvested deer without arresting me

05-Dec-21
If that is the full story never in a thousand years would I help put it into his vehicle. I'm with bowhunt3138, you'd have to arrest me. Also agree with others, if everything was legit, go after this guy with avengence. Hopefully your buddy got his badge number.

05-Dec-21
Got his name and badge number . He’s reaching out to a lawyer tomorrow

05-Dec-21
Got his name and badge number . He’s reaching out to a lawyer tomorrow

05-Dec-21
Is this in Connecticut or mass?

05-Dec-21
It feels like, by giving up the deer, you lead creedance to his likely story of... "it felt suspicious we didn't have any hard evidence but he gave up the deer willingly when I offered him an out... which "proves" some level of guilt

05-Dec-21
I feel like ur cell phone is ur best friend in these situations... shoot a deer... immediately text someone, just smoked one! Boom... timestamp. Drop a gps pin. Walk up to the deer, tag it.... take a pic. Drop another pin. Send another text. IMO the bigger the buck, the more covering your own ass u should be doing. Leave it crystal clear and then cooperate fully if questioned.

05-Dec-21
I agree cougar . EVERYTIME I shoot a deer a certain few people get a text rite away within minutes

05-Dec-21
I agree cougar . EVERYTIME I shoot a deer a certain few people get a text rite away within minutes

05-Dec-21
That's really good advice cougar . Never thought of that. But that makes total sense. Thank you.

05-Dec-21
No of this makes sense. DCR and EPO are very different. The Department of Recreation and Conservation won’t care what and a environmental police officer does.

Some EPO are very reasonable. Others are not.

05-Dec-21
I agree some epo are great . I got more details from my friend ..: the reason they said the deer was confiscated was Because He didn’t cutMy tag off the license .he just folded the hole license up and taped it in the ear . And your supposed to remove the antlerless tag before attaching to the deer… aka they were fishing and it was a complete bullshit reason .

05-Dec-21
If this is in mass then yes supposed to fill out and tear off. That way you can't re use it even though you can just print out another

05-Dec-21
Exactly . I’ve seen dozens and dozens of deer at the check in station over the years with the hole license on the deers ear . I feel this was a power move by the warden and just making it to prove a point

05-Dec-21
Just a suggestion but I use one of the big license holders you wear on your person in some states . They usually have a heavy duty pin that you can easily push through the deers ear I fill out the tag , insert in the license holder and pin it to the deers ear. No fuss no muss and its pretty dam secure.

05-Dec-21
Exactly doc . You fill out the tag and put the hole thing in the holder and attach to deer . He simply didn’t CUT THE 3x3 tag off of the paper it’s printed on . That’s what the fined him and took his deer for

05-Dec-21
I shot my archery buck in the pouring rain, didn't have a baggie, let's just say the tag was a tad mushy by the truck. Once u check it online, isn't the paper tag not needed? Or is it still required for transport?

05-Dec-21
Cougar the tag with confirmation is required until processed.

05-Dec-21
Ok. He was just being an asshole. If the tag is filled out and attached to the deer the guy is a dick !!

05-Dec-21
My camelback backpack came with this cool little wallet I have baggies, pens, zip ties, etc… for my tags. I always keep a baggie with licenses and a baggie with toilet paper. Good for marking trails and just good to have in general. My buddy dropped off a deer at a check station with no tag because it fell off on the way over. That’s a risky move in my opinion. Tag not torn off should be a “heads up” from epo or at worst a ticket or fine. Confiscating the whole deer is not just. Also- confiscating the deer without ticket fine or warning? That seems fishy.

06-Dec-21
Like all the news clips of Officers “acting out of line” there is no way we are getting the full Story here. Not saying your lying. But maybe your friend isnt sharing the whole story….

06-Dec-21
If the tag was torn off why not just print out another? (Or keep a spare in the truck? Copies are cheap enough.)

06-Dec-21
The tag wasn’t ripped off . It says on bottom of tag upon killing an antlerless deer fill out below cut out and attach to deer immediately . He filled out and attached rite to deer but he did not cut the 3”x3” tag off of the full sheet of paper which it was printed on

06-Dec-21
The tag wasn’t ripped off . It says on bottom of tag upon killing an antlerless deer fill out below cut out and attach to deer immediately . He filled out and attached rite to deer but he did not cut the 3”x3” tag off of the full sheet of paper which it was printed on

06-Dec-21
I've done that before and checked the deer in at a district office and nothing was said to me. The guy obviously is a jerk. A warning would have been sufficient.

06-Dec-21
The truck said environmental police on it, right? Not some jablonski posing as one in his personal truck, with bogus badge.

06-Dec-21
Cougar. the tag needs to be attached for transport AND all the way until it is being processed for food.

If the state is going to be a stickler for tagging....they should supply either tyvek tags or adhesive vinyl 'peel the ends and stick them together' type that other states do. 20# printer paper tags are useless.

06-Dec-21
10-4 Hick. The paper tags are a problem. Every state I’ve hunted issues real tags, weatherproof, durable, tear resistant. Not here. Maybe that will change with the increased fees….but don’t hold your breath.

06-Dec-21
10-4 Hick. The paper tags are a problem. Every state I’ve hunted issues real tags, weatherproof, durable, tear resistant. Not here. Maybe that will change with the increased fees….but don’t hold your breath.

06-Dec-21
Makes total sense unless you actually stop to think about it for 30 seconds... like most of our other government action I suppose

06-Dec-21
I dont like it when people trying to do something "right" are given a hard time. If the guy filled out the doe tag and had it on the deer, just didnt cut the little rectangle off, and had his deer taken... That seems way over the top unless there were other aspects to the story which are not being described. For example, maybe he has a past wildlife infarction or two, or something like that. I have no idea, just seems insane to confiscate the deer of a hunter who filled a tag out and attached it to the deer, but just didnt cut the little bit off. That feels like someone being a bit to attached to the details of a rule, and not the spirit.

Again though, this is assuming the hunter doesnt have a bunch of prior's that got the warden primed or that the guy wasnt being a wise guy / jerk to the warden.

06-Dec-21
Some guy on bbh orders a synthetic 8x11 material on Amazon and prints his tags on that. Totally waterproof. Use a hole punch and zip tie.

06-Dec-21
how about spray painting the confirmation number on the side of the carcass? lol thats what they do to sheep in ireland.

06-Dec-21
We have the print your own tags in ct too. Do your tags have to be visible on the carcass? If not, put it in a Ziploc bag and place inside the deer's mouth. Hold or tie the mouth shut until it stiffens up. Good way to hide it from a thief, but prove its yours. Warden would have to pry the mouth open to get it out.

06-Dec-21
As I understand it, youth hunters in NH are supposed to use a generic tag on the back page of the rule book, or “make their own tag.” We’ve had loads of fun talking about what that homemade tag might look like.

06-Dec-21
Sorry for the contrarian view but the rules in MA are very simple and easy to follow.

NH provides a paper deer tag with your license and RI also uses paper tags you print, and attach to dead deer.

06-Dec-21
Well from what I’m being told that is the extent of what happened.I do know how ever the kid has dealt with game wardens before but was never cited or wrong.

That being said I have been talking to people in different mass forums and it seems this officer is very aggressive intimidating towards hunters and once he finds one he doesn’t stop till he pins them. I’ve heard from 3 people who all said around the same thing in different words.

Very sad , but the bright side is looking the officer up he seems to be on the older side and one can hope once his dog is retired he might retire too . No need for aggressive cops who intimidate people into what they want to hear or say

06-Dec-21
I’ve had run ins with wardens a number of times and all but two were completely pleasant and respectful. Even when I got cited for not having a life vest Inthe boat while duck hunting . I was fine with that because the officer was very respectful and polite and did his job rite .

But the two times I had an encounter with the officer inthis situation I do remember feeling very uneasy because of his aggressive demeanor and feeling even intimidated. I have a bachelors in criminal justice and don’t get shook by these tactics but I can easily see how the average person or young hunter could be coerced into saying something the officer wants or agreeing to things that aren’t even totally true

06-Dec-21
That spray paint idea is both hilarious and horrible... :)

Ive been using the same old license holder from the late senator (state) Bob Wetmore. He gave me a couple when I was literally a kid, maybe 12-15 - whatever age you first have to get a fishing/hunting license here. My wife has one in her hunting bag, I have the other. I stuff the tag in, then sort of jam it down in the ear hole and use the sturdy safety pin to "pin" it on the deer. It's visible, but protected a bit by the ear while dragging...

06-Dec-21
Who is the epo? I know many and would love to get the full story.

06-Dec-21
I have done the same, Will. Except I ziptie the ear closed.

And what's wrong with the spray paint? Lol

07-Dec-21
New idea - we could mark the bucks we get on our cam as "ours" via one of those exploding ink packs. Wire it up to blow up on the deer when it walks in front of the camera, BOOM, florescent pink/yellow/blue/green or whatever color deer.

07-Dec-21
I'm just weighing in on this deer tagging subject ,I think most people on here know that that tag must be separated from the main license and attached to the animal .That is why I carry a small pair of scissors in my fanny pack and old license holder to attach tag to the deer's ear .Let's face it if they can nail you on a violation they will ,we work to hard for a harvest so that warden can take your deer .

07-Dec-21
I wonder how much real legal power they actually have to take someones deer? If you look at the minor infraction as roughly equivalent to driving 5 mph over the speed limit, the cop technically has a right to issue a very small fine, most obviously will not. They certainly do not have the power to confiscate legally owned property.

07-Dec-21
Just like a lobster buoy will...

07-Dec-21
How bout fish in without a licence. Confiscate rod and real ,gear and they can take your truck and boat. Ludicrous

07-Dec-21
You can't precut the tag or deface it in anyway prior to attaching to the animal violation have been down this road .

08-Dec-21
I use my knife and it's usually a shit show on the paper tag.

08-Dec-21
I just rip it off. It isn't rocket science. Follow the law and you won't have troubles.

08-Dec-21
Unfortunately arlow that's not always the case as this thread attributes to. Sometimes a blanket statement like that is way out of the ball park

08-Dec-21
Bizarre story. If this is true and ever happens then you guys should insist on following him back to the headquarters so it can be discussed with the super. I can guarantee that is not where the guy was planning to go, again if the story is factually correct. If he becomes belligerent then call the local cops and do not hand over the deer until they arrive.

08-Dec-21
This was probably posted or asked above but was there a citation? If not, was your buddy given a receipt and contact information to follow up? If not then I think any questions are answered regarding what went down. There is no way he would not have been given one or the other if tis was a legit situation.

08-Dec-21
Oh man, may have good EPO news. Buddy just texted. He'd shot at a doe at a local WMA, and had a bit of blood and was tracking. See's a few ear's of corn, but there is a ton of standing corn on this WMA, so it's not to weird. Then he see's a giant pile of corn. That seems rather odd 250-300yds from the corn field. He looks around like "What the heck" and theres a guy not wearing orange in a stand, over the corn. So he exited, called EPO's and gave them the guys license plate. Supposedly they are on the way. That would be awesome!

08-Dec-21
I have had plenty of EPO encounters in multiple states. I have never had a bad experience. I have always shown respect and gotten respect in return. I do not bend the law, I do not break the law. I follow the rules.

But then again when I get pulled over by the police I am that guy that rolls down the window, keeps my hands on the wheel with my lic and registration. yes sir, no sir them to death. Pull off the road to make them more safe, etc. I have gotten way more verbal warnings than actual tickets that I deserved and I didnt even have to show them my boobs like Pi......

08-Dec-21
Rob...."is that a citation in your pocket, or are you happy to see me?" lol

Will, that stuff effing pisses me off. I have stopped hunting behind my house (public land) because I found giant piles of bait under stands. reported to the EPO...nothing was done. so I just gave up hunting there lest I be the one cited for "hunting a baited area"

08-Dec-21
Hick, that blows! The update I got, was that my friend gave the EPO's the guy's license plate. The guy left while my buddy was still there. EPO's actually got there and walked in to check the spot out, and based on the plate, said they would visit the guy who apparently, though perhaps not surprisingly is a bit of known player with that sort of thing.

What a dummy.

Arlow, that's been my MO. As a teen, I worked at the states conservation camp one year. One of the counselors was a LEO and I drove into Worcester with him to pick up stuff for the camp one day (food). We got pulled over. I didnt even realize why he stopped. He just said, put your hands on the dash. So I did. The LEO saw his badge and basically was like - "Hey, you cant hollywood stop, have a nice day". and handed him back his license/reg. He explained the whole thing. I've only been pulled over 1X but the approach you noted resulted in a verbal "slow down" vs a ticket despite my speeding. So, that was good.

Maybe it doesnt work all the time, but it's worth a shot.

08-Dec-21
Arlow. See here's my view. What if you did all those things you say and were as straight laced as possible and this guy totally disrespects you. It does happen from time to time. That would almost b worse right cause you went out of your way to b respectful of this guy. And he still b a dick. Some people suck period. You know this. Like you stated on the other thread of the opposing coaches you faced. Hugh Hugh yaa

08-Dec-21
Just because I make a simple joke aimed at you at the end does not equate to the entire post being aimed at you. It was not, it was a general statement aimed at everyone who blames cops for doing their jobs.

Who knows what happened in this situation. Was the offense minor? Yes. Was it still an offense? Yes. Was the guy a dick to the cop? Maybe yes, maybe no. If no was the punishment over the top? Yes. If not then No. That is likely the determining factor in whether he gets a warning or he gets the worst case scenario. So maybe he did meet an asshole cop, or maybe he made his situation bad via being the bigger asshole. More often than not the latter is true.

Control your controllables is something we coaches preach to our kids day in and day out. Take actions that help you succeed, not those that assist you to fail. It is not about puppy eyes or being a pussy. It is about having a brain and keeping your ego in check. Something you might want to learn, but doesn't sound like you are capable of.

I have not encountered an "abusive cop" so I cannot speak as to how I would have handled that. Most people who meet "abusive cops" created the cops attitude in my honest opinion. Just like every video you see online of an "abusive cop" has the the whole beginning of the video and the actions that caused him to get to that level by the offender edited out.

I do acknowledge there are some bad apples, but they are very few and far between. There are far more asshole citizens who push cops too far than complain about the repercussions.

Moral of the story is don't treat a cop like shit if you do not want to be treated like a shitbag. Then don't twist the story and blame the cop for the situation you created by being an asshole.

08-Dec-21
Lucky Arrow never met a bad cop or CO !! I agree a lot of not most of the time it's the ass hole treating the cop like shit. But don't assume being totally respectful will get you the same. I too play by the rules and am VERY respectful . Until I'm not treated the same . Then it's FU !! Co's and cops aren't god's and are not always right. Believe it or not they don't always know the laws they are supposed to be enforcing. I will not be treated like shit when I know I'm right !!

08-Dec-21
Your ego has never been in check

09-Dec-21
The kid is from Tennessee and is the most polite and respectful kid. He wouldn’t have an attitude , they just aren’t raised that way

09-Dec-21
The kid is from Tennessee and is the most polite and respectful kid. He wouldn’t have an attitude , they just aren’t raised that way

09-Dec-21

09-Dec-21
Hey wilga you wouldn’t happen to hunt Dudley/Webster area by chance I hunt the same area and hear of a wilga having run ins with the wardens all the time could just be a coincidence happy huntings

09-Dec-21
Hey wilga you wouldn’t happen to hunt Dudley/Webster area by chance I hunt the same area and hear of a wilga having run ins with the wardens all the time could just be a coincidence happy huntings

09-Dec-21
Yes Pi, and if it comes down to it, don't resist arrest the way assholes do.

09-Dec-21

ARLOW's embedded Photo
ARLOW's embedded Photo
Can I have it delivered to them piece by piece after I have used it?

09-Dec-21
@Pelletier

Yes, that is him. Very well known name to EPO's in both MA and CT, he has the wool pulled over a lot of eyes on this forum.

09-Dec-21
@ Don_keedic Sounds about right I thought it was him shooting deer on land he’s not supposed to be on he’s well known alright a well known poacher hahaha

09-Dec-21
Giddy up

09-Dec-21
Look who woke up

09-Dec-21
Not this shit again.

09-Dec-21
The plot thickens........

Well played MAPA

09-Dec-21
This is funny . Anyone who does the amount of hunting I do will have run ins with the wardens . And in 15 years of hunting on my own , I’ve been sighted only twice . For not having a life jacket in my John boat while duck hunting .

Wardens out there doing there job and checking hunters like there supposed to . 95% of my run in with wardens is during a goose/duck hunt or in a state stocked pheasant field . And my ducks are ALWAYS in a row , minus the two life jacket incidents .

Feel free to continue to spread rumors about me donkeedick emphasis on the DICK part . But if I was what your claiming I am I think I’d have multiple citations and problems which I don’t . Hunt just about everyday like I do in a highly populated area and tell me you don’t see wardens two or 3 times a year ..

Jealousy is a shitty trait…

09-Dec-21
Wilga...with all do respect. I've been hunting MA/CT/RI/NH for going on 35 years, both on public and private land, and have never once seen, spoken to, or been stopped by a Warden/EPO/CO. never once. Maybe its because I don't bird hunt where bag limits are strictly controlled, I think your statement is a bit hyperbolic. or maybe I'm just out of the norm.

I will say though, that 'donkey dick' and 'Pelletier (who when you click on his handle shows his name as 'Fish Nuts' and handle should be Fish508)' sound a bit trollish.

09-Dec-21
Ahh 2 unknowns come on with accusations. That ole trick. Sounds familiar. Well we had a good run with no jellyfish.

09-Dec-21
Hick stick I hear yah , not only is bird hunting watched more . But if I’m duck hunting with a couple buddies it’s nothing to shoot 50+ times . And with all that shooting people tend to care/react more . When bow hunting I’ve never ever ran into a warden . Lots of noise/shots brings attention . And pheasant fields are heavily monitored because the state pays to raise those birds and like to make sure everyone gets fair chance

09-Dec-21
To reiterate a jellyfish along with other attributes craps and eats out of the same hole

09-Dec-21
Lunker x2

09-Dec-21
Lunker x2

09-Dec-21
Was there a geographic difference in the zone and the check station? Doe taken in zone 13, but checked in zone 8? I remember getting a lot a lot of questions when I checked a deer in zone 9 that I shot in zone 8: “why you coming way up here to check that deer” ummmm it’s not that far and the butcher I use is in town and I do some work in town….. worked out fine, but did have to talk to the supervising officer….

09-Dec-21
Dis miss the jellyfish

09-Dec-21
Oh no, not this again.

09-Dec-21
Ok so this deer was confiscated what happened to it ,was it kept as evidence did your friend receive a citation .Maybe the warden dropped it off at the butcher shop to get some venison I know these wardens have formed relationships with butchers dropping off road kill and the like .

10-Dec-21
Alot of nonsense and allegations in this post….is love to know the epos point of view. Bet it isnt as innocent as this post is making it out to be.

10-Dec-21
Not alot of allegations. Just 2. Two jellyfish

10-Dec-21
Appreciate it pi. Sounds like the same warden . By your friends description.

If I’m not hunting I’m fishing , I’ve reported dozens of illegal striped bass harvests and illegal fishing . I’ve never once been sighted for fishing or hunting except simply not having a life jacket in my boat . And I 100% agree with those two situations because that law is simply about safety . I follow the rules and I live to hunt and fish, i take several young kids a year hunting and fishing for their first time to try and prolong the tradition which our generation is quickly losing . I respect everyone untill given a reason not to , that was how my parents raised me . Wish some folks on here had the same ethics

10-Dec-21
Appreciate it pi. Sounds like the same warden . By your friends description.

If I’m not hunting I’m fishing , I’ve reported dozens of illegal striped bass harvests and illegal fishing . I’ve never once been sighted for fishing or hunting except simply not having a life jacket in my boat . And I 100% agree with those two situations because that law is simply about safety . I follow the rules and I live to hunt and fish, i take several young kids a year hunting and fishing for their first time to try and prolong the tradition which our generation is quickly losing . I respect everyone untill given a reason not to , that was how my parents raised me . Wish some folks on here had the same ethics

• Sitka Gear