Kent 10-Jan-22
Blood 12-Jan-22
Blood 12-Jan-22
Big Dog 12-Jan-22
BBB 12-Jan-22
Dr. Deer 12-Jan-22
Brian M. 12-Jan-22
07-Dec-21
3'x3'x3/4" plywood base, 2" aluminum angle iron welded at a 90 degree and sharpened on the inside edge to go around tree, 3/4" conduit pipes fastened with "I" bolts for the frame with angle iron, car seat belt for carrying straps, metal switch plate covers bent to hold conduit to plywood. No hand climber or seat, bear hug the tree (going down sometimes resulted in scrapes on chest and belly). HEAVY!! No safety harness, would nap in the stand using my rope to tie myself to the tree.

07-Dec-21
My very first "stand" was up against a boulder in an oak flat on a 300 acre apple orchard in Glastonbury. Next was against and oak tree on the same property. My first climber was a Warren Sweet. 2nd was an API grandslam bow hunter (still have it). Then my first hang-on stand was a baby Gorilla. Ass hurt for days after sitting in that! Lol.

07-Dec-21
Nobody stand hunted when I started. Maybe climb up onto a sturdy branch, but no stands for many years. My first stand was one I saw featured in Outdoor Life magazine. It was made from a section of 4x4 for the support with a plywood seat screwed to the top of the 4x4. The platform was also 3/4” plywood and was supported by a section of steel cable wire that ran through the 4x4 and then bolted to the deck on each side with a cable grommet. I put carpet on the seat and deck and spray painted the rest. I mounted the stand to the tree with a turnbuckle originally, but then discovered ratchets. I used folding tree steps to climb the tree. No safety gear at all the first few years, then I went to a nylon belt strapped around the tree and myself. Lots of stupidity climbing, hanging and hunting out of these stands but they were solid for being wood.

07-Dec-21
That's kinda scary BBB.

07-Dec-21
I think my first was an 18-20" 2 x 8 with notches cut in both ends and stuffed into the "v" of tree. It may still be there. lol.

08-Dec-21
The first Baker Climber , a death trap. It could have been used to execute prisoners during the French Revolution since it was as lethal as a guillotine. Like BBB, we tied ourselves in with rope thus ensuring at least a ruptured spleen and, at most, hanging by our armpits til dead.

08-Dec-21
Big Dog - you have a way with words that paints a vivid picture in my head of times past. LOL, now that was funny right there!!

08-Dec-21
My first actual tree stand was a 2x4 with "V"s cut out on ends and it was wedged between limbs. Like Tall 1 says, nobody climbed trees, mostly ground blinds.

I fell 5 feet with the Baker death trap, then bought the TSS climber. You hugged the tree and pulled yourself up the trunk

08-Dec-21
My first tree stand…..I made a hang-on out of right angle aluminum and straight aluminum pieces. It weighed maybe 7-8lbs. It worked really well but took a lot of time to put together. Maybe cost me $25-$30 to build.

My first climber was a Loggy Bayou. Love that thing. Hugged the tree, so simple. But it would sip on any wet tree, also fun! I still have it as a reminder of my early years.

I hunted out of a lot of wooden tree stands others built in the woods years ago. Never ran into who built them. Nobody builds those any more.

08-Dec-21
Blood , back in the day Loggy Bayou ran ads with Terry Bradshaw. I owned the climber and had it stolen. They also made a light hang on that I thought was pretty good. It had a rope system that attached to the tree and was really portable. I climbed a few DIY wooden stands that were not safe; problem was , you didn't realize it til you were up there. Then getting down was pretty scary.

08-Dec-21
I had a old API climber in the late 90s. I think it was a API. That was my first treestand and probably the reason I don’t like or trust climbers. I had been only a ground hunter before then.

08-Dec-21

2Wild Bill's embedded Photo
2Wild Bill's embedded Photo

08-Dec-21
My very first deer hunt (rifle) was at West Fork Maine, and the guy who rented us the cabin felt sorry for 2 young guys without a map or compass in the big woods, so he put each of us in one of his nailed to the tree wooden stands. He told me not to stand on the end away from the tree because it may not hold me!! I can honestly say, I never stayed so still while deer hunting in my life.

08-Dec-21
WBill, I love pics of old wooden treestands. I take a lot of pics when I find them. I should start a thread on it.

08-Dec-21
LEM loc on hang on. Great stand, still have them. Too bad they went out of business. Whenever I see remnants of an ol wooden one. That's a good starting point on new property. I figured if the guy had to lug all the supplies in....uphill both ways in the snow.....and then build it....

08-Dec-21
My first stand was definitely of the home made variety, similar to what WB posted. Simple structures that were totally unsafe by todays standards but nevertheless very effective for the purpose they were intended. Many fond memories built from 2x4, plywood and spikes up the tree. Thankfully I didn’t get hurt.

However, I do have a less than fond memory of my first experience with a climbing stand. It was a Baker climbing stand that I had borrowed for the hunt. I’m sure most of the older generation that posts on here remembers that brand name. My set up was to watch a power line crossing on opening day of gun season, from daylight to about 11am when I was supposed get down to meet with the rest of the crew at noon. The climb up was no problem and the approximate 5 hour sit was pretty fruitless. However the climb down was a whole other experience. Shortly after I started my decent, the rodeo began. The stupid Baker stand folded up and turned into something that resemble the look and feel of a diving board and it just wouldn’t bite to hold me up there. My only option was to hold on as tight as I could and enjoy the ride ( not fall ) or fall. I use the phrase “enjoy the ride” loosely because when the ride was over, I was bruised and bloody on my chest and the length of each arm from holding on as tight as I could while sliding down from about 20 feet at a speed of just under the rate of gravity. That experience was what inspired me to go out and purchase a different brand of climbing stand. Baker was not in my future.

08-Dec-21
LB - ah yes, the death grip and resulting bark burns to your body. Great times.

08-Dec-21
I carried a 2x4 piece of wood appx 3 feet long, climbed a tree - wedge on branch and stood leaning against tree- no harness. Kinda stupid looking back 30 years ago

08-Dec-21
I would fasten my waist belt tether once I reached the platform. The deer trail was between the two large trees in the photo. About fifteen yards to the left in the photo the hillside began a long steep drop.

08-Dec-21
My first looked a lot like what WB posted. My dad and I built it. I also recall climbing up into power line stanchions, probably not a great idea. Also just climbed up into trees and sat on limbs with a rifle on occasion, also a really bad idea.

08-Dec-21
My dad just nailed a kitchen chair to a tree when he was young hunting in vermont. Think I got a picture of it somewhere.

08-Dec-21
I'd laugh out loud if I saw a kitchen chair nailed to a tree 15 ft up!! That is a new one on me, but a great idea, wish I thought of it.

08-Dec-21
About 10 years ago I drew a coveted Iowa bow tag and hired an outfitter. First morning of the hunt he gives me directions of how to get to the cedar tree stand. I find it and can’t believe my eyes! Not only is it a homemade wooden platform up in the clouds, but there are only branches to climb to access the stand. Pissed off, disappointed and frustrated, I climbed to the stand. Relieved I didn’t die, I stayed there for an all day sit. Unfortunately the only thought that kept swirling through my head was how I would survive the climb down after dark. Like David Copperfield pulling off the impossible I somehow lived to tell the tale. I almost throat punched the outfitter when he told me he’d get me some tree steps to install the next day! You can’t make this stuff up… lol

08-Dec-21
1977, Northern Maine. We lashed 3 saplings lengths, between three trees, to form a triangle. That first step was 3 feet off the ground. A couple of feet above that, a second step done the same way. A few feet above that, a 3 sided railing. First morning, I killed a fat doe out of it, with my 30-06.. I was only 5 or 6 feet off the ground. My first deer.

Late 90's, I bought a Summit hand climber, steel. It was heavy.

09-Dec-21
LB ,back in the day they had tee shirts with a bow hunter free falling in a Baker while trying to dig his finger nails into the tree. The artist put a look on the hunter's face of sheer terror. The caption was :" Tree stands are thrilling". I'm laughing now.

09-Dec-21
BBB by chance did you know a guy by the name of Dave Williams that stand sounds a lot like the one he used to build.

09-Dec-21
That name doesn't ring a bell, and as for the stand, I had the tradesmen at Stanley help me design it. Everything except of the plywood came from the shop, and all I did was give them a drawing of other stands that I saw some guys use. It was strong, but HEAVY.

09-Dec-21
This thread is a trip down memory lane, and not a pleasant one either. My first stand was a few 2x4s nailed on a tree with 2x4 steps nailed on to climb up on. I killed my first deer with a Bear recurve from that platform in 1973. My safety "harness" was a waist strap tethered to the tree. Just the thought of using that setup gives me chills today. I eventually purchased a TSS climber which relied on a metal strap with holes that had small rounded push in pins which you pushed into the holes to adjust the stand to the diameter of the tree and hold the thing together. What the hell was I thinking risking my ass using such a contraption as that. Twice when getting down, I had that stand just slide down the tree with me bear hugging the tree from 20 feet up. First time I landed still attached to the stand and upright. The second time when I landed I fell over backwards and had a hell of a time getting my feet out of the foot straps on the stand. Finally had enough of TSS and tossed it into a container at the dump. My next climber was a Summit 2 section type which was a noisy pain in the ass to set up and it separated a few times leaving me hanging on trying to get control of things. After that I went to ladder stands. Certainly not as versatile as a climber but in my opinion, much, much safer. Ah, the good old days!

09-Dec-21
Yep. 2X6s nailed to connect a couple of big pines, with side rails just so we could tack up a cloth curtain to keep the wind off. Not very safe!

09-Dec-21
Gene - we share the same young, stupid approach to our early years of hunting from a stand. I don't know what I was thinking, but I loved every minute of it.

10-Dec-21
Back in the 70's there were a lot of wooden constructed tree stands in the woods. Many had pee bottles hanging from them because popular wisdom dictated human urine would send a buck fleeing into the next county.Times have sure changed . We're lucky to have lived through the tree stands of the 70's.

10-Dec-21
Agree Big Dog, those of us that survived those 1970 tree stand days are indeed lucky to be alive or not in a wheel chair!

10-Dec-21
Gene, I'm selling my TSS stand if you're interested? I'll post pictures Sunday.

12-Dec-21
Same as others; 2x4’s and 4x4’s, spray painted my pee bottle, took the back seat center safety belt out my Ford Galaxy and bolted together with an eye bolt to attach my drag rope to the tree as a Safety strap!

12-Dec-21
Bat - is your name really Charlie Brown?

12-Dec-21
Yes it is BBB… I guess that would have been an easier handle…..

12-Dec-21
Very cool, bet you had a lot comments over the years. I would love to have a name like that, especially when I'm making dinner reservation.

13-Dec-21

Brian M. 's embedded Photo
This is my first "hang-on" stand. Home made and actually pretty sturdy when first made. These pics are after years of being outside on the ground, when I tossed it. Angle iron, plywood, bolts to allow folding. Cable and a seat belt from an old Jeepster Commando to hold it on the tree. hahaha. Looks like a death trap, but I killed at least 4 deer from it. Was easy to remove from tree, just push the button on seat belt. I didn't even add a ratchet strap. Ahh, to be young again.

13-Dec-21
That is too cool Brian, love seeing the old things we once used. I had carpet on the platform to reduce noise, all it did was add 10 lbs when it got wet and collected ice in cold weather.

13-Dec-21
Brian, I had a 67 Jeepster commando that I got with a boat as a package deal. That was a great year for a 19 y/o kid. I took the top off in may and put back on in September. Wish I had kept it.

13-Dec-21
My first ones were what ever I could find in the woods nailed to a tree . Then I moved up two x fours . Then I started welding them together like Brian. Still have one in. a Tree and killed a buck out of it two years ago probably 40 years old . New plywood and new chains .. Now pretty much a blind or ladder stand .

13-Dec-21
40 years!!! That's an old buck ;>) You must have made it well steve, just like your carts. Sometimes I think all of this new stuff is too sophisticated and complex. I know they're a lot better than what we had, but a recurve and my lunch was all I need when I first started, long before I was told I needed calls, scents, certain clothes, compound bow, etc. In fact, my first deer hunting suit was mechanic overalls in dark green from the Army/Navy store in New Britain. Now I have breathable for hot weather, gortex for rain, insulated for cold, scentlok for the deer, ......ah, come on man.

13-Dec-21
Cool pics Brian. That is very similar to the ones I built.

16-Dec-21
I've fallen twice , both times years ago while removing a metal ladder stand , a Baker of course. It was bowed under tension and when I untied the platform I got launched. It was only 10 ft high but I still remember the impact.

16-Dec-21
How about the flight BD? Do you recall the weightless feeling for a couple of seconds?

17-Dec-21
LB, not a couple seconds, more like a nanosecond. Felt more brainless than weightless.

17-Dec-21
Only 10 feet!!

18-Dec-21
BBB, Yup , 10ft and whomp. One bow hunting luminary fell 5ft off his climbing stick and broke his arm. The lifeline must have saved thousands of lives since its inception. I put one on every stand.Am in the process of pulling hang ons and lifelines. Had a few ticks on me last week while doing it.

18-Dec-21
When I was young I could jump out of a tree from 8 - 10 ft and not get hurt. Now, I get nervous jumping off my climbing stand from 3 feet at the bottom of the tree. As for ticks, I haven't seen one on me this year.

18-Dec-21
BBB, when I work in the woods I wear light colored pants and jacket and it's amazing how many I see on me. All clothing is sprayed too.

28-Dec-21
2 Loc On LEM's

06-Jan-22
TSS Climbing stand with an Anderson Tree Seat.

06-Jan-22
That Charlie Brown he's a clown. He's gonna get caught, just you wait and see. Why's everybody always pickin on me? :)

07-Jan-22
BBB, ticks are really picky,lol.

10-Jan-22
Oh man what memories we made ours at first from surrounding saplings nailed to the tree for steps then made a triangular frame for the platform, always had to have three trees close then lugged in what ever junk wood we could find to put on the platform, as i think back how truly ridiculous but them we had good spots or so we thought. Then it was the store bought deadly Baker and my first compound a Bear Whitetail, bought it at Stars department store in Wallingford ct OH MAn I'm OLD

12-Jan-22
Kent, I bought my first pack of broadheads at Stars, plus other hunting stuff. I was 12 and had to go with my mom because the clerk wanted to know I was responsible. Got the old Wasps with the little O ring that held the blades in place. 1985. Loved that hunting department. It always smelled like skunk scent and fox pee. Lol

12-Jan-22

12-Jan-22
The deadly Baker should have sold along with a life insurance policy ,a cemetery plot and a room key at a fine Florida hotel for the merry widow, LOL

12-Jan-22
Blood - I had the same old broad heads, forgot all about them until you mention it here. Used them with my Damon Hoyatt recurve and my three tab finger protector and arm guard. That bow was so light compared to my compound of today, but the weight of the homemade treestand offset the light bow.

12-Jan-22
First, I just climbed the tree and hung onto branches. Then I got a Screaming Eagle crotch stand, late '80s or early 90s. It was a 16 inch square platform that jammed into the crotch of a tree. Then on to the Tree Lounge, API, Summit and many others. Now I favor Lone Wolf.

12-Jan-22
Blood, a Wasp camlock was used to kill my first deer with a bow. I still have the fore leg bone with the broadhead halfway through it. It's the only time I've had a bhead embed in a bone.

• Sitka Gear