scentman 17-Dec-21
Squash 18-Dec-21
Shawlerbrook 18-Dec-21
Trial153 18-Dec-21
Trial153 18-Dec-21
scentman 18-Dec-21
Cornpone 19-Dec-21
15-Dec-21
I'm in 9h and it's been tough seeing deer this season... any encouragement on the late muzzy season?

15-Dec-21
I am sure there are many reason, but the weather has been absolutely crazy this year. October was like July and the few cool days we had showed some deer movement. We had tons of rain and wind and that definitely slows down movement. Very little snow that didn’t last, which inhibit visibility and reading tracks. I am here in 7M and at least in my part, deer numbers are not extremely high. I won’t go into what I think about the late mz season and the ability to use all tags on anything .

15-Dec-21
You are spot on, I concur with your assessment Shawlerbrook. I myself take one deer a season... I'll eat dmp's if I shoot any in their season... one deer is enough for my wife and I. scentman

15-Dec-21
Same here Scentman. We have different products made with our venison, besides eating it multiple times a week. We found that 2 adult deer are enough for us and our extended family. This year my wife and I both got nice bucks during the rifle season, so the 3 DMP’s and other tags will go unfilled. I have neighbors from a neighboring unnamed state that come up during the mz season and shoot multiple antlerless deer and then look for people to give them to. Another that shoots a doe during bow season to bring home to meet his states earn a buck tag. The Amish are another story. Sorry for venting.

15-Dec-21
Hea, don't be sorry... that's what this site is for me... therapy! I am hearing many reports of deer herds being decimated as many land parcels are being acquired by certain cultures that don't abide by wildlife management practices, lets say.

16-Dec-21
Not much wildlife mgmt going on in ny unfortunately.

16-Dec-21
Since the slaughter season closed my four cell cams have gone nuts. During gun season i was probably averaging 5 pictures a say. Since Monday afernoon, i bet i have gotten about 75 pictures. Too much pressure for too long

16-Dec-21
So apparently the deer in your area were not slaughtered ?

17-Dec-21
We are all on the same boat here and the NY state threads have been very thin in past couple of years... we could all benefit from respecting each others opinions and engage in helpful thoughts and solutions.... sorry, just getting in the Christmas spirit or the Glass of wine I just poured... just retired!

17-Dec-21
Yes, let’s respect everyone’s opinion.

17-Dec-21
Congrats on retiring scentman more time to hunt!

17-Dec-21
Thank you for your responses Pet, and Shawler... in the past NY had some very good subject threads but lately kind of a drought... maybe too much one-sided opinions. I am open to a new dialog where we present our opinion and except another view without lets just say " sarcastic rebuttal"

It can be accomplished my friends.

17-Dec-21
Scentman, you will love retirement. I did in November 2012 and have been busier than ever. Congratulations !!!

17-Dec-21
Thanks bro... wish you all the best for you and your family this Holiday season!

18-Dec-21
If you can’t handle sarcasm do not make sarcastic statements, ie, “slaughter season. “ You talk of respect of opinions ? I have always respected, respectful opinions on this site. Labeling all gun hunters as slaughterers is a opinion that does not deserve respect. How does Creating division between gun hunters and bow hunters advance any proper deer management in NY ?

18-Dec-21
I don’t think anyone labeled “all” gun hunters as slaughterers . Unfortunately in any group, you get those that are greedy and feel the kill is the ultimate goal. That said, even opinions we disagree with deserve respect. Just because you legally can shoot 2 bucks and 5 doe doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do. My opinion and you don’t have to agree, but you should respect it. By the way, my wife and I both shot our bucks with rifles this year and consider ourselves hunters( bow & gun).

18-Dec-21
Hit a nerve Squash? four weeks of rifle season in southern zone half of it during rut. Add to it the second or third highest hunter density per square mile in the united states and if that is not a slaughter season then what is? Sorry it hurts your feelings however I do not commiserate with much of the the hunting culture in NY. Go to a NY centric forum or FB group and it on display front and center. And furthermore if you have to miss characterize what someone says to make your opinion sound better maybe some self Introspection is in order.

18-Dec-21
Eric, congrats on your retirement. Enjoy it in good health!

18-Dec-21
Trial,when you have your health you are wealthy beyond all the materialistic garbage the world thinks are so important. Thank you for the kind thought. scentman

19-Dec-21
I've been seeing some movement on my cams lately. I didn't intend to go out again but my wife said we could use one more...for "specialty" stuff from Tony Costanza in Webster, plus more burger for the adult grandkids. So, I "unretired" my open sight flintlock (used it a few times many years ago in PA flintlock season) and will us that. I've never gotten a deer with it so will try again.

• Sitka Gear