swampbowman 24-Dec-21
Shawlerbrook 27-Dec-21
erict 29-Dec-21
Shawlerbrook 29-Dec-21
muzzypower 29-Dec-21
petcontain 29-Dec-21
Cornpone 12-Jan-22
21-Dec-21
Although I look forward to being in the woods again, I'm conflicted about this recent move. What say you?

21-Dec-21
Do what is right for you. Don't think state has a good handle on deer #s, nor do i think they care. JMO.

21-Dec-21
Another poor management decision the NYDEC. After a 4 week gun season in the southern zone, and one week muzzleloader gun season ....hey lets add another week.

21-Dec-21
My thoughts... bucks may be shedding by then and the stress may be a bit much for an already depleted herd. I myself will go out sparingly not pushing just waiting for some fresh venison to come by... but some around here hunt in parties with radios, even during muzzy season.

21-Dec-21
Obviously a political( financial), not scientifically driven decision. How much sense does it make to have a 9 day muzzleloader season, then close it for 4 days and then open it again for a week. I agree with Scentman . We have enough venison, so we will not participate. The only positive, is it’s not the crazy September or early October mz season they once talked about.

21-Dec-21
Well it has potential to delay our already spotty snowmobile season (probably no factor this year). DEC wants to maximize kill and will do it under the guise of whatever is convenient. In this case, it’s for college kids on break that cant hunt otherwise. I have a bachelors and masters degree from syr univ. i was gettin my butt up for years and driving out of the city and into the country to go hunt by myself. Routinely. And i would go to my hometown on wknds to hunt w dad. If someone wants to hunt they will find the time to hunt with relatives or whoever. Around me, todays college kid will lose interest by lunch on day 1.

21-Dec-21
Well I’m the odd man out, yes I realize the season is too long. But… due to work issues and family issues I wasn’t able to get out enough like I usually do.. so when the dust settles post Christmas I can at least do a little more time in the woods. But this year has been of an anomaly for me because the aforementioned issues and add to that this COVID ????…

22-Dec-21
Nbf, fresh venison out there waiting for you... make a good shot!

22-Dec-21
Being close to 70 years old the one thing which holds me back from the holiday hunt is Temperature and Snow Depth. To those who want to go enjoy. With estimated 1.2 million deer in NY and a take of 230,000 +/- enjoy and good luck.

22-Dec-21
I've hunted several years in PA late flintlock season and due to several reasons my flintlock is still virgin. Although I have a good inline I'll be out with my flintlock late season...have no doubt with a decent opportunity my Savage 10ML II would score...but want one with the flintlock.

22-Dec-21
From most posts here and this is a good thing, we have been blessed with the ability to get out there and enjoy... deer herds will be here long after we are gone. scentman

23-Dec-21
Amen ! Considering all the craziness that could have been done, I really don’t think this 7 day season is going to affect the deer herd( or a large amount of hunters). When I was a kid, this week used to be spent with beagles and snowshoes. Boy I miss those days, dogs and friends. Merry Christmas to all !

24-Dec-21
What was the justification for killing more deer by adding this MZ season?

24-Dec-21
Pat, the political class running the show are hoping they might sell a couple more licenses. To figure out what they are thinking and doing you have to use the Jerry Maguire tag line......follow the money.......

24-Dec-21
Follow the money…true dat! I think they closed it a few days in order to make it feel like a fresh opening day and max the participation and killing of does. After all, we can use any and all leftover tags for that, plus your buddy’s 2 doe tags . Surely people must need the 7 does they can legally kill each year. Next year we will have the “auld lang syne hunt” in Jan and the “valentine’s day is for lovers hunt” in february. It’s a Festivus miracle!!

24-Dec-21
I wish it was a flintlock only season like Pa.

24-Dec-21
Muzzy nailed it ! Sad, but true. If you notice, the big headline news on the DEC website is......get a vaccine, win a prize.

24-Dec-21

swampbowman's Link
Speaking as one of those who lives in a deer rich area I love the extra time. It just won't have any noticeable effect on the total take here and we have plenty of deer so why not get out. I'm just hoping the 150s 10pt I had at 60 yards 2 weeks ago will show up again and give me a chance ! I hadn't seen him since mid October (at 12 yds and I was tagless ) but luckily he's still alive . Lake plains deer are well fed , the bucks will carry their horns for at least a month more, the weather is mild, and another week isn't going to over stress them . After them I say.

27-Dec-21
My observations in my small part of 7M is that very few are taking advantage of the holiday season. Some neighbor kids who deer hunt went rabbit hunting yesterday. Also as said before I am not a xbow fan, but it seems to make absolutely no sense to allow muzzleloaders and vertical bows, but not xbows. This whole thing makes very little sense( but what’s new about that).

29-Dec-21
The Southern Zone Muzzleloader Season includes Dec 26-Jan 1. Crossbows may be used during the Southern Zone Muzzleloader seasons and are legal for the "holiday" season. I agree if the regulations book/website does not make this clear.

29-Dec-21
Erict, thanks for the update. I finally searched the DEC site and found that . Many do not know that true, but I doubt many will choose the xbow over the muzzleloader.

29-Dec-21
I’m choosing florida on the golf course over a bow, arrow gun, and muzzy right now!

29-Dec-21
FL has hogs.

12-Jan-22
I hunted the extended season with my formerly virgin open sight flintlock...I certainly felt far more excitement upon successfully killing a good doe than had I done the same with my inline or even my bow. I have no idea how many deer were killed in this season but I doubt if it was significant.

• Sitka Gear