Poppy 24-Dec-21
Old Reb 27-Dec-21
Zbone 27-Dec-21
Zbone 27-Dec-21
Old Reb 28-Dec-21
24-Dec-21

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
This is my 2nd hunting season since buying my Ohio farm and it keeps getting better. So far this year all my bucks have survived firearms season and if they make it through muzzleloader, I’ll have some giants around next year.

At my NY farm, I had 6 bucks total and every one was killed including the spike.

What a difference between the two states.

24-Dec-21
That is great! With all of the quality feed that you have at least a few of them should really jump in size for next year.

24-Dec-21
Pat, that young buck in the pic is going to be a monster next fall !! Already past his ears on spread and nice and high !

27-Dec-21
Don't forget Pat that archery deer season lasts until 2/6/22 here in Ohio this year. The deer still have to elude arrows for a few weeks after the end of muzzle loader season.

27-Dec-21

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Yeah Old Reb, have killed a bunch of deer in late January, usually the last week to fill a tag or freezer, and even a couple in February... Luv late season bowhunting, kilt this guy Super Bowl Sunday, Feb 4 2018, the very last minutes of the very last day... It was miserably cold, wet and rainy, chill ya to the bone and wanted to get out of stand to watch the game, but didn't give up... Glad I hadn't, it was a full filling season...

27-Dec-21
Back in the day when young there was a group of us that got together on Saturdays and made deer drives with bows, was great fun, and we actually killed a few deer too, mainly does... One time I remember (on public land actually) was one of my turns to be a stander and we were going to push off this peninsula and knew a good spot where a big tree was blown over, snapped off about 10 or 15 high so I climbed up the leaning tops got near the top of the snag and tried to make myself presentable for a shot in case it happened... In today's world I would have been setting in amongst the blown over branches rather than on top... Must have been the late 70's or early 80's because I was still shooting a compound... For some strange reason, I remember having a field point arrow and either 4 or 5 broadhead arrows... Believe it or not I can remember the broadheads being Savora Swept Wings...

There was maybe about 4 or 5 inches of fresh snow on the ground and I just got settle on the snag and here this nice buck trotting towards me way before I could even hear the drivers... You can see running deer a long ways off in the snow... I think he was either a 9 or 10 point... I took a shot when he was probably about 30 - 35 yards away when he was almost past me still trotting... I don't remember where that arrow hit but it made a loud crack I think hitting a tree... It turned him 360 and spun him back the way he came, then he stopped probably about 40 -45 yards out... He's looking back towards the drivers not paying any attention my direction... I was shook and proceeds to empty my quiver at him and never cutting a hair...8^) My last arrow he ended up close enough I should have killed him probably about 20-25 yards away before he finally bolted out of there... I was shaking like a leaf, then realized the drivers were still coming but out of broadheads but I could see my last arrow sticking in the ground... Leaving my bow hanging I hastily monkeyed down the branch tops retrieving the arrow and like an idiot climbed back up to my roost... Sure enough as the drivers started getting close, here comes this doe with her two skippers in tow on the run... They were running straight at me and passed broadside at like 15 yards... Trying to shoot momma, I know I lead that lead doe at least 4 or 5 feet, and hit the last shipper running dead center in the guts... It was a button buck spinning him around 360 as he ran back towards the drivers... They were all shouting at him but he got through...

Took up the track which was easy in that snow and eventually, got close enough for a finishing shot... We got him... Boy, wish there was camera phones back then, all those youthful hunts and great times, but very few pictures, only memories... I think that was the last day of bowseason too which was mid/late January back then...

28-Dec-21
Nice 2018 buck Zbone and an interesting story.

• Sitka Gear