INbowdude 30-Nov-22
NY Bowman 30-Nov-22
Zim 20-Dec-22
pav 21-Dec-22
Zim 21-Dec-22
INbowdude 21-Dec-22
INbowdude 25-Dec-22
31-Dec-21
Happy New Year to all my Hoosier hunting buddies on Bowsite. So what's everybody thinking about for hunts both here and abroad for the 2022 season. Me: Archery turkey in Nebraska (a first for me). April hog hunt in Oklahoma Turkey season here. Porkaplooza in June Whitetails here of course. Fallow deer in Hungary in October Best of luck to everybody and hoping 2022 is better in every way than 2021 was.

01-Jan-22
Burn my 25 Colorado elk points before they throw us nonresidents under the bus. Same for any species in Nevada for the same reason. Will be applying for longshots everywhere else as I expect to draw the CO tag. As far as Midwest whitetails go, I don't know how to approach it as I scored my dream buck last year. Ain't never gonna top it. So may direct more of my attention to fishing. Love the Maumee Rover walleye run!

03-Jan-22
Going to use my 18 points in CO for elk, then just turkey and deer here in IN.

07-Jan-22
Sonora Coues Deer hunt (just got back). Dall's Sheep and Caribou in NWT this summer. Hopefully Barren Ground Caribou in Alaska in Sept. Looking at a couple other possibilities, although it's tough to find openings due to the pandemic-created backlog. And then there's always a bunch of long-shot western-state apps to hope to beat power-ball odds and win something ;-)

09-Jan-22
Greg, How'd the coues hunt go?

09-Jan-22
These little desert Coues Deer are always fun to hunt. This year we experienced a rare episode of rainy weather, starting with the second day of the hunt. In fact we actually couldn't hunt the 2nd day, as it poured non-stop all night and day. The rain and mud rendered the dirt roads impassable so we couldn't access any of the stand sites. Rain is very unusual for Sonora in the winter time, as that's normally their dry season, with very little precipitation. Since this hunt relies on the deer coming into water tanks, this made for some tough hunting afterwards, from day 3 through 6. The deer had no need to visit the man-made tanks, when there were standing water puddles and ponds virtually everywhere. In fact out of 6 hunters, one bow-hunter took a good buck on the first day, before it rained, then after that no deer were taken for the rest of the hunt, after that 3 inches of rainfall. That is, until the very last day, and right at the closing minutes of the hunt, just before dusk. It was then I had this modest sized 3x4 buck come in and offer a shot. He's no monster buck, but should be just big enough to make P&Y. We still had a good time in camp, and will just hope for better luck, dryer conditions, and more deer sightings next year.

10-Jan-22
Great story and cool-looking critter. Congrats!

11-Jan-22
Congrats Greg! Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays this bowhunter from the swift notching of his big game tags! Getting it done under circumstances most don't!

11-Jan-22
Ha!...a good size helping of luck never hurts either!

01-Feb-22
Congrats on the success in tough circumstances, Greg!

I am in for elk in NM and AZ - hopefully the draw will be good to me this year. Otherwise, killing geese for a couple more weeks here in Northeast IN, then fishing until turkey season rolls around. Already looking forward to archery deer next fall!!!

25-Feb-22
Just finalized plans to split my Wyoming elk points with a buddy next year, which will basically guarantee me good to premium Western hunts the next five years, due to preference points. IF they don’t “change” the systems yet again. CO, WY, UT, AZ & CO.

20-Mar-22

Turpie's embedded Photo
Turpie's embedded Photo
I’m on the board

21-Mar-22
Indiana turkey lottery results have posted.

02-Apr-22

INbowdude's embedded Photo
Nebraska turkey hunt with Heritage Outfitters Nebraska.
Nebraska turkey hunt with Heritage Outfitters Nebraska.
Just back from a turkey hunt in Nebraska with Heritage Outfitters Nebraska. Warning: crossbow kill. Shoulder almost 100%, will give it a try in 2 weeks on a hog hunt.

05-Apr-22
Congrats Mike! Hard to beat turkey hunting in Nebraska. Glad to hear the shoulder is healing. You sure you didn't kill that bird in China? (old cartoon reference...)

05-Apr-22
LOL, Pav, I gotcha. Took it long enough to flip the right way. Thanks, Stick!

06-Apr-22
Very nice Mike, congrats on your success!

08-Apr-22

KDC's embedded Photo
My first double bearded gobbler
KDC's embedded Photo
My first double bearded gobbler
We had some success during the early bow opener in Kansas

08-Apr-22

KDC's embedded Photo
Chris with his Kansas gobbler
KDC's embedded Photo
Chris with his Kansas gobbler

08-Apr-22
Congrats to the Clark brothers!!!

08-Apr-22
Excellent! Congrats guys!

20-Apr-22
Ran down to Shiloh over Easter weekend for a hunt. I was able to draw the compound back with no problem. I'm back, baby!

20-Apr-22
Can't seem to add a pic.

21-Apr-22

21-Apr-22
Good deal Mike! And it looks to be very pleasantly green down there!

21-Apr-22
Atta boy Mike! Glad to hear the shoulder is back in business!

21-Apr-22
Thanks, guys. Glad to be back in the archery swing again.

23-Apr-22

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Some may recall my 3rd grandson, Carter, decided he wanted to take up hunting last year at the age of thirteen. We had a couple close calls in the turkey woods, but no success. His first deer season ended opening day of archery season with a spike buck.

Round #2 for turkeys started this morning at daylight and ended just before 10:30am. Carter made a good shot on this gobbler as he prepared to attack my jake decoy. The bird weighed 23lbs - 4oz, 10-1/2" beard, and 1-1/8" spurs. Very happy young turkey hunter...and really proud grandpa! I believe he's hooked on hunting!

23-Apr-22
Right on Carter! That's a great bird for any hunter.

24-Apr-22
Great Tom, congrats Carter!

26-Apr-22
Mike - Glad you were able to hunt with your bow again! Looks like you had some fun!

Great job, PAV. Carter has a great mentor. Tell him congrats on a great first turkey! Pete

27-Apr-22

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Appreciate it guys! Carter is still pretty pumped about his first turkey.

Speaking of firsts...my son, Dustin, tagged his first bow kill spring gobbler this morning. His second bow kill turkey overall...after arrowing a fall hen last year. A couple two year old toms came to the decoys...one left. (19lbs-12oz, 10" beard, 3/4" spurs)

27-Apr-22
Very nice.....he's on a roll!

28-Apr-22
Good job Dustin!

30-Apr-22

NOT a bow kill but it's still a good bird. 22. 25 lbs, 11" beard, and 1 3/8ths spurs.

30-Apr-22
Nice bird Mike! Congrats!!

30-Apr-22

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Ended my turkey season this morning in Big Oaks NWR...about an hour after shooting light. First time hunting turkeys in Big Oaks. Picked out a good looking spot on Google Earth and it paid off. Didn't think he was going to commit to the decoys, but a live hen joined my setup and he could not resist. Stats: 22lbs, 10-1/2" beard and 1" spurs...meaning my grandson Carter has the family turkey bragging rights for 2022!

30-Apr-22
Way to go guys!!

02-May-22
Paul, That's a great bird. Congrats!

05-May-22
Congrats to you guys on the birds! Strange season for me so far - haven't seen or heard a bird while hunting for myself yet!

Was able to help a friend's son kill his first turkey on the youth opener: a public land jake for a first turkey is definitely something he can be proud of!

My Dad also killed a nice tom on opening day. He called that bird in by himself - super excited for him as normally I do the calling for his turkey hunts.

Still some time left, so hopefully I can sweet talk a gobbler into range yet... Good luck to the rest of you guys looking for your turkey. Pete

05-May-22
Gorgeous birds well done

08-May-22

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Congrats Paul. Nice scoring on your first try on Big Oaks. I don’t deer hunt in Indiana, but can’t say enough about the turkey hunting here. My three public hunts since moving back have been slammer compared to other states. This year was nuts. Played musical chairs the first two tries, watching nine shooters walk right past my plan B setups. But third attempt repositioned and had big toms approach me from the N, E & W simultaneously. Lol. No decoys, just my Ghost Blind. Had to wave my hands to push four curious deer away from me as the toms first appeared. First Tom dam near climbed into my blind to get to my hen calls. Gobbled at ten yards, stared me down at 5! Too close, I couldn’t move. But waited him out and he was just short of 25#. Seen a flock of 14 jakes on my pack out. And on my exit drive out, I glassed from the road where I’d hunted the previous two years. There was one strutting Tom at the first, and two at the second. Crazy toms everywhere. Highly recommend Indiana public for newbies. My scouting at three other public properties produced even better sightings. Great state for gobbler action.

08-May-22

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo

09-May-22
Congrats Ken! Lots of jakes in the southern part of the state too. Great hatch and lots of cicadas last year. Going to be a bumper crop of two year old toms in 2023!

10-May-22
Way to go Ken! Congrats!

11-May-22
Paul, Yup I agree the toms next year will be like Lake Erie walleye this year. All time high out there. Amazing numbers. (Turns out they are gorging on the gobies nobody thought they would eat.) Very curious if the turkey numbers rebounded in my Wisconsin area. Took a nose dive in 2020. Will find out soon. Got my last two hunts coming up this weekend. Southern part of state.

18-May-22

Turpie's embedded Photo
Turpie's embedded Photo
37.6#

18-May-22
Geeeezzzz that's a hog!

22-May-22
2021 IBA Bowhunter of the Year...and multiple Big Carp award winner...sets the bar AGAIN! The man is a big carp killing machine!

Congrats Turpie!

23-May-22
When Mike started this thread, I did not respond with 2022 hunt plans. This due to the fact my annual hunt plans are pretty much at the mercy of the western draw results. Still have a couple lottery odds chances (draw and raffle) remaining, but figure 2022 is pretty much decided at this point.

Indiana for turkey and deer (of course).

Drew a general Big Game Combo (elk & deer) in Montana, but failed to draw a limited entry elk permit in the Breaks. Likely sending that tag back for refund due to the fact New Mexico finally came through with a good 2nd archery season elk tag. If the Breaks permit had come through, I would probably try to swing both hunts, but I'm hesitant to burn banked vacation time on a general tag in areas I've never set foot.

Lastly, headed to Alaska mid-November to hunt rutting Sitka blacktail deer on Kodiak Island. Fourth hunting trip to Alaska, but first time ever on Kodiak Island. Timed this boat-based hunt to coincide with the early firearm deer opener in Indiana.

24-May-22
That's two great hunts you have lined up Paul, best of luck!

24-May-22

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Good tags Paul. I got nuthin in UT, WY, AZ & NV. Down to the wire for me.

25-May-22
Heading to Canada for a spring bear hunt on Friday

26-May-22
Best of luck Chris!

26-May-22
Good luck Turpie!

01-Jun-22
On pins & needles for Colorado elk results. Should know Thursday 6/2. All eggs in one basket.

04-Jun-22
I've already told Paul, picked his brain a thousand times, and read his trip report until I have it memorized...but I'm black bear hunting in Alaska with Homer Ocean Charters in 61 days. Can't wait.

04-Jun-22
Huge relief! Took them until 9:48 pm CST but COPW finally hit my CC card for bull elk tag. Just cashed in the first big game point I ever bought, way back in 1996. Will be headed for unit 61 archery. Got email confirmation as well.

Wanted this tag bad. Have not elk hunted in 3 years. It’s all I need, but do got a few 5% shots left WY deer & lope, AZ deer & Maine moose. Plus impossible AZ desert sheep. But I’m badly overdue for some longshot.

14-Jun-22
Congrats Zim!

14-Jun-22

Porkapalooza 16 saw good to me. I'm a weak man and couldn't help it when it came to spot-and-stalk hog hunting. 1 pig from the stand and 2 more hunting on the ground.

14-Jun-22

Third hog!
Third hog!

14-Jun-22
Congrats Mike! You have hog hunting down to a science! Not weak...just having fun!

14-Jun-22
Wow that's a lot of pork....looks like fun!

15-Jun-22
Mmmmmmm....bacon! Congrats!

01-Oct-22

Opening day. 2 shots, the first one was at 12 yards and just knocked off tail feathers, the second shot was at 35 yards walking away, ran 10 yards. Bearded hen.

02-Oct-22
Wow you didn't waste any time gettin 'er done. Congrats!

05-Oct-22
Congrats Mike!

06-Oct-22
Thanks, Kevin!

07-Oct-22
Congrats on the bearded hen Mike!

08-Oct-22

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
My son, Dustin, set the bar at the farm again this morning with this nice 8pt buck. Oddly enough, this buck came barreling in behind three does at 10:00am...chasing and grunting...in full rut mode on October 8th! This makes three years in a row that Dustin has set the bar with a P&Y qualifier. Nobody caught him the previous two years...will have to wait and see if the third time is a charm for somebody!

10-Oct-22
Great buck Dustin! Congratulations

11-Oct-22
Awesome....pretty buck, big congrats to your son.

13-Oct-22
That is a great-looking buck. Congrats Dustin!

13-Oct-22

Not a bow-kill although I tried. Hoping it was a mechanical failure for the 2 misses I had and not an operator error. Flew to the country of Hungary and tagged this fallow buck. Missed him in the morning broadside at 40 meters (shot under) but didn't miss in the afternoon. Hope everybody has a great season.

13-Oct-22
International Hoosier bowhunter....Mike Neilson. Beautiful animal...congrats!!!

13-Oct-22
Thanks, Paul! Hope you have a great season.

14-Oct-22
Nice job Mike!

15-Oct-22
Thanks, Kevin! Best of luck on your season.

18-Oct-22
That’s a beautiful animal, love the dark horns, congrats!

22-Oct-22
Thanks, Greg. Best of luck this season to you.

22-Oct-22
Great morning in the woods. I'm a weak man. Fresh tenderloin for supper and the other for breakfast with hashbrowns. Best of luck to all!

22-Oct-22

23-Oct-22
Mike, Congrats on the Fallow stag!! What an incredibly beautiful animal! It puts me in mind of a euro one would expect to see hangin in a castle in that part of the world!!!

25-Oct-22
Thanks, Pete. It was a great hunt. Bummer that I had missed 2 with my bow. Both times I'd like to blame the bow but it was just me. Best of luck this season.

28-Oct-22

KDC's embedded Photo
Chris's double
KDC's embedded Photo
Chris's double
My brother had a successful hunt last night

29-Oct-22
Nice & congrats to him. Double delicious!

01-Nov-22
Excellent double! Congrats!

01-Nov-22
Congrats to Chris on the double...and one!

03-Nov-22

KDC's embedded Photo
KDC's embedded Photo
Here is the “and one” Paul was referring to. Chris put a great shot on this public land buck Tuesday morning.

03-Nov-22

KDC's embedded Photo
KDC's embedded Photo
I was able to put some meat in the freezer Wednesday evening.

03-Nov-22
Wow....a very nice "and one"! Big congrats.

07-Nov-22
Well done Kevin!

07-Nov-22

I couldn't stand watching the Colts play anymore and skipped the 4th quarter to shoot a nice doe Sunday night.

08-Nov-22
Congrats Mike! Love the loading rig! Sure beats standing on the tailgate and lifting! Yeah, I'm getting too old for that...

08-Nov-22

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Sunday AM, my grandson, Carter, got it done with the crossbow for the second year in a row. Made a perfect shot on this young 8pt and actually watched it fall. Happy young man and proud grandpa! He says we're doing another Euro on this buck...holding out for a "big one" to put on the wall.

08-Nov-22

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Shot this buck Saturday evening during the nasty wind storm. Yeah, I should probably not have been in a tree. I was actually preparing to climb down when this 10pt showed up. The high winds created a tough shot situation, poor arrow placement and a long recovery. Actually watched my arrow kick sideways during flight. Not a good feeling! However, it was a fatal shot and tracking perseverance paid off.

08-Nov-22
Great buck Paul and congrats to your grandson!

08-Nov-22
great job Pav and man it was windy!

09-Nov-22
Congrats Mike and Paul! Way to get it done

10-Nov-22
Paul and Carter, Congrats! Thanks, Kevin!

10-Nov-22
Paul and Carter, Congrats! Thanks, Kevin!

18-Nov-22

NY Bowman's embedded Photo
Was fortunate to take this heavy weight buck with my longbow.

18-Nov-22
That's a dandy, congrats!

21-Nov-22
Atta boy, Terry! Congrats.

28-Nov-22

sticksender's embedded Photo
Got this buck on the last night of gun season Sunday 11/27. Latest date in November that I've ever arrowed one.

Had to wait until this morning for good enough light to take pics.

Buck was run down by the rut, with very little fat left on him and weighed in on my scale at only 215# on the hoof.

28-Nov-22
Great looking deer guys! Congratulations!

28-Nov-22
Nice bucks Terry and Greg...Congratulations!

30-Nov-22
Well done, Greg! Congrats.

30-Nov-22
Beautiful buck Greg and way to keep the buck tag in hand until the right deer showed up.

20-Dec-22

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
All the public I’ve hunted previously was too pressured by late season so all the bucks were nocturnal. But that has now changed. Thanks to a lot of scouting, identified a couple off the grid spots with great action. Didn’t get the biggest one, but had a fun hunt and filled my tag. My latest date to score ever, December 15th I think it was. Saw four shooters my last three evening sits. Not bad for public.

21-Dec-22
Congrats Ken! Great late season buck! I'm assuming public land in Illinois?

21-Dec-22
Ya I don’t hunt deer here. Have done a lot of extra scouting in IL this year. Found a few new gems. Gotta go through a lot of properties to weed out the over developed ones. But cool when I locate a sleeper.

21-Dec-22
Great looking buck, regardless of date. Congrats!

25-Dec-22
Merry Ho Ho Hoosier, Christmas!

• Sitka Gear