Pat Lefemine 15-Mar-22
cord62 15-Mar-22
Zbone 15-Mar-22
cord62 16-Mar-22
DonVathome 17-Mar-22
Pat Lefemine 18-Mar-22
16-Jan-22

Zbone's Link
"South Euclid’s pilot program sees 61 female deer sterilized; first of three-year study in using method other than culling"

https://www.cleveland.com/community/2021/12/south-euclids-pilot-program-sees-61-female-deer-sterilized-first-of-three-year-study-in-using-method-other-than-culling.html

16-Jan-22
These people never learn. Bill DeBlasio spent millions to sterilize bucks on Staten Island to the tune of 100k per buck. And all it did was make it a hell of a year for the few bucks they missed.

Stupid.

17-Jan-22
WB has been culling deer in the NE Ohio metroparks for years and it really is mind boggling that they pay them that much money to cull deer, it just floors me these city/village officials are that senseless to this sterilization and actually troublesome local government bureaucracy are that naive... And BTW, Ohio deer are property of the state and managed by the ONDR... The is no mention of the DNR in that article... What's up with that?

17-Jan-22
In CT only the DEP can authorize any sterilization or cull operation. They do the sharpshooting themselves using bait and suppressed rifles with night vision.

I will say there are urban areas where hunting is not realistic.

17-Jan-22
I know ODNR had ties with WB before with the metroparks culling but surprised no mention of them in this article... DNR regemes seem to change quite often and wouldn't it be a shocker if stopage and/or fines come because proper procedures weren't taken with these sterilizations... WB, and for that matter the DNR seem to try to keep culling on the down low... I remember a few years ago they were planning WB culls within the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, but at one time was postponed but don't remember reason but only assume it had something to do with public outcry and the National Parks say.... Never did hear if culls inside the park actually took place, but any killing of an animal with national park boundaries will bring scrutiny from the public, even killing man eating bears...

02-Feb-22
I live an in urban are and they sharpshoot quit a bit. Successful sterilization is my biggest fear for our future. That could be BAD. They will eventually make it work and my guess is it will be a lot cheaper and easier. I cringed when I read this.

02-Feb-22
ok I just rea the article, that is silly, they transported them! This is NOT what I am referring to and not sustainable. I fear a dart that marks the deer so shooter knows which deer were shot, safe to eat meat, and works. That could hurt hunting. The circus in that article is not a threat - except it shows how far people will go who want no hunting.

10-Feb-22
Deer shoot again this afternoon in the Brecksville Metroparks. Glad to see this is happening a few times every year, still way too many deer in So Cuy Co.

13-Feb-22
cord62 they have stands 50 yards off my property where they sharpshoot deer often. I see the trucks parked in a field and the number for does has dropped dramatically. Lots of bucks. I see the closures now and then in North Royalton.

01-Mar-22
Looks like another round of wildlife management today. Love it.

14-Mar-22
And one more again this afternoon. This should be the last one until next winter, maybe.

14-Mar-22
Matt - How you receiving this info of these killings going on? Thanks....

15-Mar-22
Z, signs are posted, THIS AREA CLOSED TODAY FROM 12=5 FOR WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT. signs like this are posted at Sleepy Hollow golf course, Valley Pkwy and other main roads and parking lots where the action is.

15-Mar-22
shameful. I'm sure they are killing shed bucks along with the does that actually help to control the population. Thank God they don't do this in my area - I'd lose my shit with all the surviving bucks in our area.

15-Mar-22
Shameful was the 90+ deer/sq mi. population that once was in this area prior to the Met Park culling program that started 20+years ago. And the unreal road kill year round, especially during October and November. Don't forget the winter starvation kill, unbelievable... I have seen it all first hand. Pat, think fast, what does CVNP stand for? Leave this one to the locals (Park personnel). They are now doing a great job controlling the herd.. Does are the target for sure but if a shed buck is taken out now and then there are plenty more in this area.. MONSTERS!!!

15-Mar-22
The way I understood it is these are Metro Park killings, and no culling within CVNP because it it a "National Park"... The Metro Parks are regulated by state or county authorities whereas CVNP is run by the National Park Service...Didn't spend a lot of time in Brecksville Metro Park, so I really can't comment on the deer population there, most of my viewing and hiking around was in CVNP... I will say this, I've never seen the so called winter kill due to severity of weather in the state of Ohio and I lived in Chardon and Thompson in the heart of Ohio's snow capital for about 5 years... Not saying there isn't winter kill in Brecksville, but if it's that bad would imagine many would migrate out just a short distance to backyard bird feeders...

16-Mar-22
How many deer can a backyard bird feeder support? Just yesterday there were 8 deer at my feeder eating whatever was left on the ground. They each got a few peanuts and a couple sunflower seeds, My guess would be not too many for not too long. Winter kill that I saw was many years ago prior to the start of the culling program.. Population is still high but not even close to what it once was.

17-Mar-22
I really wish they did not sharp shoot deer. They have 2 stands 50 yards off my property. That said I think they are doing the right thing WAY to many deer. I think it has helped trophy potential. Antler development is last - less deer, more food, bigger horns. Also I see significantly less does so I would think it makes bucks move more - at least a little more. I see way more mature bucks now. I see a LOT less does and they are a lot more cautious. I wonder if it is worth their time/money. Many metroparks are fingers of land with 90% private land around. They are basically trying to control all the deer in Cuyahoga county. Yikes. That said it is working on my property - but it is a full time job for months. I did learn that they let preferred guys hunt bucks "off duty". I am pretty sure the 3-1/2 year old buck I got a ton of pics from last year was killed by them along with several other 140ish bucks.

18-Mar-22
I have no problem with sharpshooting to reduce doe numbers. I have a problem with when they do it, after the bucks have shed. They kill a lot of bucks here in CT during those sharpshooter events.

Killing a buck does very little to curb the population. It’s just one less deer. Kill a doe and you potentially remove 11 deer in 5-7 years from just that one doe, never mind the exponential benefit achieved by their offspring. If they moved the park shoot up to December and left the bucks alone it would be a lot better for the herds. They can achieve significantly better ratios and maintain age structure.

At a minimum, I hope they are utilizing the deer for hungry programs and not just wasting them.

• Sitka Gear