JayD 10-Mar-22
Nyati 10-Mar-22
Nyati 10-Mar-22
Nyati 10-Mar-22
Nyati 10-Mar-22
Nyati 15-Mar-22
wv_bowhunter 24-Mar-22
19-Jan-22
Thought this could be interesting and hopefully not cause an argument amongst us. The directors decision to resign for more family and fishing time got me to thinking: so how did the season go for everyone else and does it have you thinking about doing anything special for next season?

This last season was one of my worst ever. For me there was no one to blame but myself because I put hunting on the back burner for a major ongoing work project. I just didn’t get to hunt much at all. The times I did hunt it was for an hour or 2 tops. The day I was successful - I had about 45 minutes before it got dark so I made the best of it.

Hoping the work project will help me in future years to have some more time to hunt!

The one thing I took away from the times I did get to hunt were the deer are becoming more skittish coming into my food plots. Which is surprising because there is not a ton of hunting pressure here. I was fortunate and saw deer every time - a good many being bucks. They came in later and much more alert than in previous years. I even moved my stands around - even hunted out of the saddle this year in different locations - thinking the deer were patterning me.

I am Still going to work with food plots but I think I am going to put forth more energy into planting more nut and fruit trees. Actually started clearing some areas today - think I am going to plant a few more chestnut, sawtooth oak and persimmon trees.

Walked over the property a few times with snow cover and actually saw where deer are actually circling and using the wind to approach the plots now.

They are simply amazing creatures! It’s no wonder we all are so passionate about hunting!

08-Mar-22
I hunted less last year then ever before. However, I did get to bow hunt a full week before gun season this year. And, I did get three days of buck season in.

It was really a bad year for me too. Weather was warmer then need be the first part of the season. I didn’t shoot anything the three times I got in a tree before going a full week the third week in November. Just didn’t want to fool with anything in the heat and humidity.

The one deer I did kill in Monroe county in October, got eat by a bear over night after hanging it in a tree beside my cabin. It Got everything but about half a back strap and one front shoulder. I was po’ed. That bear did it 40 feet from my bed while I slept!!!!

It was a bummer of a trip late November too. In 9 days of hunting I saw two deer. Two.

Anyways, I’m pumped up about this year. I’m going back to my longbow. My shoulder is finally well enough to pull my trad bows without too much pain. I’m pretty fired up about it. And have vowed to be extra careful and try not to hurt it again.

Planning on an archery elk hunt, some serious tree stand time, and a renewed commitment to hunting hard to get to public lands. There are some great state hunting areas that no one is touching. That’s my niche. I love hunting places it takes boot tread to get to. No atv’s. It’s just my thing. Lord willing I’ll put sone arrows through sone animals this year.

09-Mar-22
I retired last January and had a great season, I highly recommend it! On November 11th I shot a nice buck that I think is going to squeak into P&Y. Hunting was slow at times but I spent a lot of hours in a stand. I also am doing some habitat improvement with some sawtooth oaks. I too am getting back into my traditional bows after mending a hand injury. Going to buy extra tags this year, I normally only hunt my land thus not purchasing them. Would like to try to kill a bear with my bow here in WV, but don't have them here where I live.

09-Mar-22
It’s good hearing from both of you and really good to hear both of you are on the mend!

Congrats on retirement Jack!

09-Mar-22
I haven’t deer hunted much if any in WV last 3 years for bucks. I’ve gobbler hunted all 3 years. I’ve deer hunted in Iowa, Missouri , and CO for mule deer this past fall. Went Brown bear hunting in AK last spring. Been doing a lot of habitat work on farm last few years. Replanted 10 clover fields last fall and planted 1 alfalfa field. Got all my fields limed because it was time. Had 20 acres clear cut and 10 acres shelterwood cut 3 years ago to create early successional habitat.

Having another 17 acres clear cut right now . That will be 47 acres in early successional, about 10% of my woods .

I’m actually looking forward to bow hunting this fall. I had 9 bucks between 120-125 on camera last fall. At end of Year 8 of the 9 we’re still there so they should be pretty good this year. Trying to get them to 4.5-5.5 and should be there after not killing any bucks last 3 years . Have finally gotten doe numbers down . 50 killed in last 5 years.

Got about 16 acres in food plots rest is pasture. Going to start working on pastures by discing and burning to get rid of grass and increase forbs .

I’m getting to the point where creating habitat is as much fun as killing a deer. It certainly is a lot more work

09-Mar-22

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo

09-Mar-22

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo

09-Mar-22

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo

09-Mar-22

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo

09-Mar-22

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo

09-Mar-22

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo

09-Mar-22

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo

09-Mar-22

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo

09-Mar-22

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo

09-Mar-22

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo

09-Mar-22
WV Mountaineer - just heard the new guy at Sleepy Creek WMA is planning to do some really nice projects and even close down some trails. Some nice bucks have been coming off of it here the last few years - I am really looking forward to start exploring some ole hunting grounds up there this year!

09-Mar-22
Greg looks like you have some 3.5-4.5 bucks should only be better coming years

09-Mar-22
I won't be hunting much this fall. I signed up for a ceramics class and it will keep me from hunting.

09-Mar-22
I just got a new place in Mineral county but all the deputies killed all the nice bucks

10-Mar-22
I bet there are at least 1 or 2 spikes running around for you, JR! LOL

10-Mar-22

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo
Clearcut last fall. Acre/acre early successional habitat will produce more high quality browse than a food plot on a yearly average. Plus it provides better cover, fawning cover, and Turkey nesting areas than mature forests

10-Mar-22
Sorry, image tool won’t rotate it for me

10-Mar-22

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo
Fall planting of combination of winter wheat, oats, cereal rye, and winter peas

10-Mar-22

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo
One clover field late fall that was planted late August. This past weekend they were over seeded for a frost seed. In 2 weeks they will be fertilized with 5-15-30 , then in about 3 weeks after that sprayed with imazamox at 4-6 ounces per acre and clethodim at 12-14 oz per acre to kill weeds and grass in the plots . Best kill efficacy on weeds and grass is when they are young and growing rapidly, that is why I’m waiting about 3 weeks after I fertilize

15-Mar-22
Let’s see some more pictures of what people are doing to actually create habitat to improve deer, turkey, bear and other wildlife habitat .

24-Mar-22
Nyati, do you also use mineral sites as part of your plan?

• Sitka Gear