awh302 24-Jan-22
KAD 24-Jan-22
Highlife 24-Jan-22
jstephens61 24-Jan-22
KAD 24-Jan-22
DozRdeer2 24-Jan-22
deerhunter72 27-Jan-22
23-Jan-22
Hi all-moved to IL a year ago and getting acquainted with the deer hunting situation. Live in western suburbs and we’re looking at possibly buying some property within an hour or 2 of us. Goal would be mostly timber with some tillable. Looking for something along a river system in Bureau, LaSalle, Putnam, Marshall and possibly eastern Knox. Curious general thoughts on these counties in terms of hunting pressure, quality of deer herd and maybe most importantly if most folks follow QDMA. Moved from KS and excited to start learning about hunting deer in IL.

24-Jan-22
There can be some good hunting in all of those counties but the hard part is getting access.

I’d look into getting permission on even small tracts of land if possible. I bow hunt just outside the suburbs on an 8 acre piece that has always produced a good amount of deer. I’m not shooting 150 inchers every year but I’m hunting and seeing deer.

24-Jan-22
Thanks for the insight-we’re looking at buying our own property, so just trying to nail down where to buy so we can 1)have a stable investment and 2)have a good recreational property with decent deer size.

Land prices are insane compared to what I’m used to in KS…

24-Jan-22
Welcome to the state of gouge

24-Jan-22
Second highest property tax in the nation. Welcome to Illinois.

24-Jan-22
Painfully aware of the property taxes; live in Naperville and it was quite the sticker shock coming from KS.

24-Jan-22
Check out the CWD (chronic wasting disease) situation before buying. Select a county, or counties well away from current hot spots.

27-Jan-22
I'm on the other end of this "great" state so I can't add much. Be diligent and you can probably find something in time. Sound like you're already aware that bargains hard very hard to come by, but not impossible. Good luck in your search!

• Sitka Gear