Contributors to this thread:
Bghunter00 01-Mar-22
swede 02-Mar-22
Bghunter00 05-Mar-22
swede 05-Mar-22
RJ Hunt 15-Apr-22
swede 18-Apr-22
01-Mar-22
As an overeager father I began applying my son for NR Oregon PP's (elk,deer,and antelope) about 8 years ago, which were very cheap when we were paying youth fees. Unfortunately we never had the opportunity to use the PP's for a youth hunt and now that he has turned 18 we need to decide if we continue to purchase the PP's/license at the regular price.

I follow what I can in the Huntin Fool regarding the amount of points it takes to hunt the units that they list, but I really don't know much about hunting in Oregon other than what I read. So, should he continue to purchase points for the next 4-5 years (which will cost another $1000 for NR fees to accumulate PP's) until he graduates from college or is he too far away from any decent hunts? Appreciate the insight and any advice you may have. Thanks.

02-Mar-22
I am sorry to say that adding 4-5 points will not get you a much better hunt. I have 12 points and will be age 75 this next season. Having 4-5 more points will not get me much more either. You can get a Ochoco unit hunt which is good, a Hepner unit, Ukiah unit, a decent cow hunt, or use your points on a former OTC unit that has just gone to the draw. Some of the former OTC units are not all that bad. You also can probably get a Chesnimnus unit hunt. Considering your choices, I would go for an Ochoco or Chesnimnus hunt. As a 2nd choice you could go for a former OTC unit.

05-Mar-22
Thanks Swede, appreciate the help.

05-Mar-22
If you let me know which unit you are interested in, I may be able to provide some insight on some locations to hunt more effectively.

15-Apr-22
To be honest the hunting in eastern Oregon has been mediocre at best, with the exception of a few very limited hunts for many years now. I would save your money.

18-Apr-22
I have found getting an elk on Oregon's east side is not very difficult. I am successful hunting from a tree stand over 90% of the time. Getting a big bull is a totally different proposition. If I waited for a branched antlered bull, then my success would go way down. The problem I see is that immature critters are herd bulls now. I killed a 4X4 a few years ago. It was the herd bull. In a healthy situation he should have been run off by a good 6X6. I am also killing some dry cows off and on. I can't say the reason is due to a lack of breeding bulls, but that is what I suspect is happening. Calves die and predators get some, but it appears there are more dry cows than normal, but dry cows taste good. I believe a hunter can get a cow or spike and has a slim chance to get a big bull. I would caution against bugling much. That is done too much. I bugle once before I climb into my stand. The elk are waiting for two hours to come around to investigate. Ground hunters just don't wait around and are long gone before the elk come show up. Hunters are over calling and not waiting near long enough. Another mistake hunters commit is answering the elk. When you make a location bugle, and later hear a reply. Stay quiet and make the elk come look for you.

• Sitka Gear