Chris S 08-Aug-22
LBshooter 15-Aug-22
LBshooter 18-Sep-22
Burt 25-Sep-22
Silver Streek 15-Oct-22
LBshooter 18-Oct-22
04-Mar-22

Fish's Link
Illinois House Bill 4386 passed House vote yesterday-Looks like Rifle's coming to firearm deer season in Illinois.

05-Mar-22
It is illinois. More permits to be purchased. Destroying our deer herd for money in their pockets. Been doing this for years. Safety is obviously not a concern for people living in the country. This chit show ought to be interesting. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 8^))))

06-Mar-22
This sucks. Next will come lengthening the gun seasons. Crossguns ain’t enough. ILDNR does not manage deer any more. Corrupt politicians do.

06-Mar-22
Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Wildlife Code. Defines "centerfire" and "single shot". Allows a person to take deer with a single shot centerfire rifle during the open season set by the Director of Natural Resources. Limits legal handguns and rifles to centerfire handguns that are either single shot or revolvers and centerfire rifles that are single shot. Limits legal ammunition for a centerfire handgun or rifle to a bottleneck centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger with a case length not exceeding one and two-fifths inches, or a straight-walled centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger, both of which must be available as a factory load with the published ballistic tables of the manufacturer showing a capability of at least 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. Provides that it is unlawful while deer hunting: (1) to possess or be in close proximity to a rifle that is not centerfire; or (2) be in possession of or in close proximity to a magazine that is capable of making a rifle not a single shot.

What exactly does this mean? A straight walled cartridge out of a centerfire rifle and...single shot? So while I don't have a rifle...my almost 90 year old father in law won't be able to hunt with his 30-06 that is a 3 round magazine fed rifle?

07-Mar-22
It looks like a .357 or .44 magnum single shot rifle. Not much more reach or killing power than some of the in-line muzzle loaders out there or bolt action slug guns. Just another way for poachers to shoot deer from the comfort of their truck or quad.

07-Mar-22
legal handguns and rifles are 11 limited to include any centerfire handguns that are either a 12 single shot or revolver and centerfire rifles that are single 13 shot of .30 caliber or larger with a minimum barrel length of 4 14 inches. The only legal ammunition for a centerfire handgun or 15 rifle is a bottleneck centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or 16 larger with a case length not exceeding one and two-fifths 17 inches, or a straight-walled centerfire cartridge of .30 18 caliber or larger, both of which must be available as a factory 19 load with the published ballistic tables of the manufacturer 20 showing a capability of at least 500 foot pounds of energy at 21 the muzzle.

So it looks like a legal rifle is a single shot center shot rifle that is a single shot. Ok...I want to get my father in law out hunting and he does not want to use a shotgun. He's partial to his 30-06 that he's used since he was a young man. Is there a way to make it a single shot mag?

07-Mar-22
What about 350 legend cartridges.

07-Mar-22
Seems unnecessary to me.

07-Mar-22
I know you can use a "sled" in an AR platform rifle/pistol to legaly make it single shot,so I'm sure just about any rifle can be modified to meet single shot rule.The 350 legend was developed as a legal straight wall cartridge,so it can definatly be used.A 30-06 is a bottle neck thats over 1.4 inches so it is not legal. This same ammo restriction has been applied to pistols in Illinois in the past,and is the same as Indianna uses for the Rifle season there. There are lot's of straight wall cartridges that meet the regulation.

07-Mar-22
I know you can use a "sled" in an AR platform rifle/pistol to legaly make it single shot,so I'm sure just about any rifle can be modified to meet single shot rule.The 350 legend was developed as a legal straight wall cartridge,so it can definatly be used.A 30-06 is a bottle neck thats over 1.4 inches so it is not legal. This same ammo restriction has been applied to pistols in Illinois in the past,and is the same as Indianna uses for the Rifle season there. There are lot's of straight wall cartridges that meet the regulation.

07-Mar-22
What about a .308? Is that over 1.4"?

07-Mar-22
Never mind.

12-Mar-22
any updates on the bill? is it dead?

17-Mar-22
Straight walled cartridge, 357,44, 45 colt, 45/70 , 30-06 is out can't use it. Now, single shot I believe refers to a gun that isn't a semiauto. So a bolt or a lever gun, firing a single shot. If they actually mean a break open single shot then there won't be too many rifles out there. As far as rifles they go a 150 yard for killing power with the exception of the 45/70. Shotguns can hit at that range and my muzzleloader will do 2-250 yards all day long. I happen to be looking to use my 45/70 Henry, just need to get some solids for it, less meat damage. Also, where I hunt I'll be lucky to see a deer lol the DNR have down a bang up job of culling .

17-Mar-22
Straight walled cartridge, 357,44, 45 colt, 45/70, 30-06 is out can't use it. Now, single shot I believe refers to a gun that isn't a semiauto. So a bolt or a lever gun, firing a single shot. If they actually mean a break open single shot then there won't be too many rifles out there. As far as rifles they go a 150 yard for killing power with the exception of the 45/70. Shotguns can hit at that range and my muzzleloader will do 2-250 yards all day long. I happen to be looking to use my 45/70 Henry, just need to get some solids for it, less meat damage. Also, where I hunt I'll be lucky to see a deer lol the DNR have down a bang up job of culling .

18-Mar-22
Well I have a 350 legend CVA scout. My 12 gauge mossberg 695's range is 125 yards with a lightfield slug. The legend surpasses my 12 gauge in yardage and is easier on my shoulder. I'm hoping I can use this and so can my 88 year old father in law

28-Mar-22
No problem with the 350 , Winchester designed that round specifically for these seasons, and then lobbied for the rifles seasons. I have a CVA 50 cal that will punch targets out to 300 yards if I push it, but 200 all day long. It's nice to use a rifle just to be able to use your guns. I'm looking forward to using my 45/70, no more tracking deer, drop when shot lol.

18-Apr-22
Well it looks like the law defines single shot only rifles. What bs, so a lever gun is out. Unless, maybe a Henry rifle amd you take out the mag tube spring and make it a single shot rifle. Might have to look into that one, if not I'll stick to my shotgun or muzzle loader.

26-Apr-22
For gun season I use a Browning A-Bolt 12 gauge/3 shot clip, that shoots Winchester Partition Gold sabots with a muzzle velocity of 1700 FPS. At 175 yards they are still supersonic. With a Leopold scope off a rest I can shoot a 3 shot group that is one big hole at 100 yards. The heart/lungs of deer I've killed with this setup looks like deer I've shot with my .308 when I hunted out west. Full hydroscopic shock.

Why would I want to shoot a single shot rifle??

27-Apr-22
Because Lou it's what the cool kids use.

27-Apr-22
Ah ha.....that explains it. Never been a "cool" one! ;-)

28-Apr-22
Savage 220 150 yard cloverleafs Not that I'd need it where I hunt but what the hell nice to have the capability if ever needed. Pretty much hunting with a pistol now in gun season.

28-Apr-22
What loads do you use with that Dave? Just curious.

29-Apr-22
Lou I was using hornady sst's but can't find any. Thinking about Remington accutips or federal depending on what I find.

30-Apr-22
Highlife, you can find SST’s on gunbroker for about $15 a box.

As for Remington ammo, they were bought out so finding the ammunition you are looking for might be difficult. I shoot the copper solids and I was lucky enough to stock up a few years ago so I have about 8 boxes left. This should last about 10 years. I will have to switch over to a different round eventually.

30-Apr-22
Tony I'm aware of the Remington sitrep. Unfortunately I have more 12 gauge than I'll ever need didn't stock up on the sst when I could before pre pandemic sometimes I can get real stupid with stuff lol

01-May-22
Dave: Have you tried the Winchester Partition Gold sabots? I know that shotguns can be REALLY fussy when it comes to sabots/slugs, but they have worked really well for me. What is the rate of twist for the Savage 220? The Browning A-Bolt is 1:28. If the twist rate is the same it might work in the Savage as well.

01-May-22
1:24 but hey that's what's fun with guns finding the load that works I'll keep my eyes open for them. Let ya know my experience with them.

12-May-22
Govenor has not signed the bill and even if he does the law would not be in effect until the 2023 season, so 2022 is still shotgun.

13-May-22
I know when the crossbow legislation went into effect it was passed in the same year it went into effect.

14-May-22
It's possible new hunter but they generally go in affect the new year. Maybe Pritzker might make it immediate but I doubt it.

14-May-22
If he can find a way to tax it, it darn sure will take effect sooner!

01-Jun-22
I doubt it happens after the Texas shooting. Of course I wasn't exactly going to buy a ruger #1 let alone a Ballard just to hunt deer in Illinois with.

05-Jun-22
The governor signed it to take effect Jan 2, 2023.

05-Jun-22
Well I'll be damned. Still not buying a special rifle lol

07-Aug-22
I Googled it and this is what i came up with: (HB 5978) Rifle Bill Proposed in Illinois for Deer Hunting Rifle Bill Proposed in Illinois for Deer Hunting Representative Brandon Phelps (Democrat of Harrisburg Illinois), Chairman of the Illinois Sportsmen's Caucus introduced HB5978. He filed this bill on February 11, 2016. HB 5978 - WLF CD-DEER HUNT-RIFLES-AMMO Rifle Bills Amends the Wildlife Code. Provides that a rifle may be used in deer hunting if it has a bottleneck centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger with a case length not exceeding 1.4 inches, or a straight-walled centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger, both of which must be available as a factory load with the published ballistic tables of the manufacturer showing a capability of at least 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. There is no case length limit for straight-walled cartridges on rifles. Provides that non-expanding, military-style full metal jacket bullets may not be used to harvest deer; only soft point or expanding bullets, including copper or copper-alloy rounds designed for hunting, are legal ammunition. So you're limited to a max case length of 1.4" for bottled necked cartridges OR a straight walled cartridge case.

So short version is save for 45/70 or 450 Marlin it doesn't allow any FACTORY non-wildcat cartridges with a effective range any more significant than a 12 or 20ga Saboted slug. The 450 Bushmaster using factory ammo has at best a 10-15% greater effective range over 12 or 20 gauge saboted slug ammunition, and the 350 legend less than that. Yes the 45/70 is a honest 300 yard deer gun but you're already looking at over 30" of drop with a 325 grain bullet so for most hunters (like 90%) 45/70 is still at the same usable range as a 12 or 20ga sabot slug rifle. And as far as the 450 Marlin I could be wrong but I know of no massed produced single shot rifles in 450 Marlin which means if you want a single shot rifle chambered in 450 Marlin you will have to see if you can find a barrel for your Encore or CVA made by MGM or other similar makers of AM single shot barrels for CVA and Encore single shot rifles. Lastly as the 450 Marlin go's I don't see any hunter going that rout due to it very low availability of factory ammo and cost of same. As far as ammo for the 45/70 I'll go out on a limb and say ammo for it isn't exactly gowning on trees and cost will also be quite painful. So with both ammo and single shot rifles readily available for both the 450 Bushmaster and the 350 Legend is where 90-95% of any hunters who are going to switch from shotguns to CF rifles will likely be their cartridge of choice, And neither the 450BM or 350 legend has an effective range of any significant degree over a 12 or 20ga sabot slug rifle if using factory ammo. So unless I missed something I don't understand all the uproar.

08-Aug-22
My 10 year old son and 12 year old daughter are built like a string beans. Having little kids subject to 12 or even 20 gauge slugs recoil is a bad recipe for flinching, poor shot placement and not wanting to hunt. I know plenty of adults that complain about slug recoil for that matter. The 350 legend has somewhere in the neighborhood of 20% less recoil than .243 which was a very popular choice for youth hunts in other center fire states. With an AR platform the cycling action further reduces recoil you just can’t have a magazine in the mag well or use a blocking sled and it is legal to be used. In my opinion less recoil anticipation is going to result in greater accuracy. Hunters just need to know the limitations of the round and that it is not going to be a flat shooting 400 yard center fire rifle. I don’t gun hunt and don’t much care about it either way but it is a refreshing option for me to take my kids with a gun they like to shoot, aren’t scared of and shoot accurately. The rounds are way cheaper for a box of 20 than it is for 5 quality slugs. Guys don’t practice as much as they claim with sabot slugs being $5-$7 a round either.

15-Aug-22
Well you can use a lever action rifle as long as you disable the mag tube. My Henry is allowed as long as I take the tube spring out of the gun. Frankly, not allowing more than one shot is stupid, but , it's Illinois. I'll bring out the 45/70 for yucks and scoped it will improve my yardage out to 2-250. 300 gr should do the job. FYI guys, check your local wal arts for ammo, great prices. I bought a bunch of 45/70 $32 a box and 308 win for like $22 a box.

18-Sep-22
Straight walled cartridges, which means 30-06 ,308 are not legal. 357,45 colt, 44mag, 350 legend, 444 , 45/70 are legal. You can use a Henry lever gun, remove the magazine spring and leave it in the truck or at home and it's legal. Buy a Thompson hand cannon and use the rifle cartridges that meet the requirement. Unless your using a 45/70 a rifle ain't going to really help unless your looking for less recoil. This law is somewhat useless, don't know why they even passed it.

25-Sep-22
The 1.4" limit on bottleneck 30 caliber was enacted a few years back specifically to allow AR pistol in 300BLK with the use of a sled magazine. I suspect this will be the most common rifle setup people use since it's already popular. With standard velocity 125 grain soft points it's a 200 yard rifle with very little recoil.

15-Oct-22
New law makes no sense. I can legally hunt with my Ruger 44mag revolver loaded with 6 cartridges in the cylinder but I cannot use my Ruger 44mag bolt action rifle with a loaded clip having 3 cartridges in the clip and 1 in the chamber. I can only use my Ruger bolt action rifle as a single shot and cannot have a clip (loaded or unloaded) in my possession. Politicians making rules that don't know what they are doing.

18-Oct-22
Yep, it's Illinois lol.

• Sitka Gear