WV Mountaineer 12-Apr-22
Anglinscreek 13-Apr-22
JayD 13-Apr-22
babysaph 13-Apr-22
babysaph 13-Apr-22
27-Mar-22

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
For some reason I could post the link for this so just did a screenshot of it. Will do the updated numbers as well.

27-Mar-22

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo

27-Mar-22

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo

27-Mar-22

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo

27-Mar-22

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo
Funny how things change. A few years ago the DNR proposed a 2 buck limit and 85% of public input agreed with proposal. I wonder what happened?

27-Mar-22
Where did this info come from?

27-Mar-22

27-Mar-22
And btw, I wouldn't use data from 1995 to predict what might happen in 2023. Not sure about in 99s, but I do know revenue went back up one year after a reduction in buck limit AND an increase in license prices in 2005. Down in 95, higher than 05 in 07.

27-Mar-22
Who left out anything I just posted an updated report. Starting to learn more and more about these surveys and comment period though.

Person who emailed the Governor’s office received this from the DNR.

I still put my faith with our biologist.

Still don’t know about the majority - looks like it still the same ole half dozen guys that show up at the commission meetings and voice their opinion.

I don’t know what happened with that Greg - all I know that this is an updated report so for the last what 3 or 4 years the DNR is recommending to leave the limit at 3. Like I said at the Cacapon meeting - I don’t want the DNR run from perception.

27-Mar-22
That was me that said funny how things change. A few years ago the DNR is proposing a reduction of buck limit to 2 on spring questionnaire but in last few years have recommended keeping it at 3. However every questionnaire, survey, public opinion poll shows the majority of hunters want limit reduced to 2. I think it’s a fair question to ask what happened between proposing a 2 buck limit, to then recommend keeping it at 3 despite the majority of hunters wanting to reduce the limit thru the whole period.

JayD, why don’t you request all the spring questionnaires, 2 surveys, and e-mail polling data and look at it. I think you will quickly realize it’s not “just the same ole 6 guys”. The e-Mail comments alone were 1,022 in favor of reducing limit to 2, and 72 to keep it at 3. That’s not even mentioning the thousands that were part of the 2 different surveys or the hundreds from the spring questionnaires. Request all of those, see the results then we can speak again .

27-Mar-22
So I can still kill 3 spikes? Yeehaaa. Well don't know about 23 but people were hoping 22 would have a lower limit. maybe next year.

27-Mar-22
And how can you say you are going to lose sales of 15,000 stamps but then use only roughly 750 people kill a third buck?

27-Mar-22
I say you can increase revenue by raising the cost of the license. But that is just me.

27-Mar-22
I don't think the what the hunters want means that much. I really don't. If the DNR biologists say it doesn't hurt the deer herd then let the state make the money. JMO.

27-Mar-22
Greg - so if the buck limit does come up for vote and again and passes - what markers will the commission use to determine if it provides any benefits?

27-Mar-22
I suspect the same data that is obtained on any regulations change. Like when the Commission moved spring gobbler season back a week. Data was kept for 5 years to determine if it helped, hurt, or had no change to population. After 5 years it was determined that it didn’t hurt anything then it was proposed and Commission passed having a 5 th week. I would expect the same type of data collection to occur with regards to population , buck/doe ratio, and age structure of herd.

27-Mar-22
What markers were used to determine if dropping the limit from 5 to 3 was a benefit?

What markers are used to determine if manipulation of class N stamps are beneficial, considering so few people kill a second deer it's odd they even mess with changing doe limits? Maybe because it works? Idk??

27-Mar-22
LOL

28-Mar-22
Ok but right now all the numbers are telling our professional trained biologist lowering the limit will do nothing except give some people the perception that they are doing something. I don’t need that perception to see they are doing something.

The habitat improvement that is going on and some of the stuff that is happening with the forest service is going to do wonders!

28-Mar-22
Some very noticable issues r missing. Like how our antlerless ratio is horrible compared to every neighboring state. Like how we might kill a low percentage of 1.5 but we kill one of the highest percentages of 2.5 in the nation?

28-Mar-22
JayD, that is their opinion and I respect that. They also say it will not hurt anything either. WV consistently kills more bucks than antlerless than all of our 5 surrounding states, MD,VA,KY,OH, and PA. I don’t think that WV is somehow unique in relation to every one of our neighboring states. I find it hard to believe that all of our surrounding states are doing something wrong. The Commission takes wildlife input into consideration but also the finances, and the public , who are the ones that actually pay for everything.

ABSOLUTELY, NO DISRESPECT TO the biologists but it’s an opinion. There is no data on what would happen if buck limit was reduced from 3-2 in 2022. Hunters are different than they were 27 years ago. Using data from 27 years ago to try and predict what hunters do and want in 2022 is a stretch to far for me.

In the past it was reduced from 5-2 in 1995. 27 years ago when we were killing 80-100 thousand bucks a year and hardly anybody had thought or heard about management. If a buck was seen it was shot or shot at. In 2005 limit was reduced from 5-3, hardly any word about it, but somehow going from 3-2 is going to be the end of hunting ?

With the DNR saying it won’t hurt nor will it help, with the finances being fine, especially better now than even 2-3.years ago with increased license sales, PR money almost doubling from last year and expected to be high for foreseeable future, and Federal laws passed that will increase federal grant money available to DNR. With the majority of the hunting public wanting to decrease limit from 3-2, it’s hard to make a legitimate argument not to reduce the buck limit .

In regards to surrounding states Antlerless/antlered ratio in harvest

< 1 = more bucks than antlerless 1= equal number of antlerless and antlered >1= number of antlerless higher than bucks 2020 data which is latest I could get for surrounding states MD. 1.7 OH. 1.5 KY. 1.0 PA. 1.5 VA. 1.1 WV. 0.8

KY kills equal buck/antlerless All other surrounding states kill more antlerless than buck WV kills more bucks than antlerless

Using 2021 data for WV if I calculated correctly WV was 0.6 . Indicating that the disparity between our neighboring states increased . But that assumption will have to wait until the data for surrounding states come out for 2021. Although it should be mentioned that the disparity has been similar going back several years .

It makes sense because our antlerless harvest was the lowest it’s been in a while AND the archery/crossbow harvest this past year was very buck heavy running around 70% buck and 30% antlerless.

28-Mar-22
Jayd,

For whatever reason what you posted is missing the advantages of the proposal. Your screenshots only include disadvantages.

28-Mar-22
I don't know why this site won't let me post the url for this - the screenshots i took were of each page that came up - I didn't leave anything out. If I recall correctly the only advantage of reducing the limit that was stated before the report was updated was that it would give the perception to some that the DNR was doing something. Many of us don't need the perception part.

Greg as to the doe harvest - I have stated several times before so will make this short - seems to me that the numbers continue to fall well into the formula of 70 does per every 100 bucks to keep the herd stabilized here. I just went down thru the NDA's annual report - i see states such as OH and WI still have percentages of 1.5 year bucks that are over 40% - I see that each of the surrounding states buck harvest where the majority of the harvest is still made up of 1.5 and 2.5 year olds. I think most are somewhere between 68 to 75% - seems to me we fall right in there. I remember listening to a podcast where several biologist who were with QDMA said one of the main objectives to quality deer management was to have 1.5 bucks not make up more than 32 or 33% of the harvest. Again seems like we are doing pretty good there.

Greg - i may be wrong but I don't think I am - I don't think they say lowering the limit won't hurt. I think they list out disadvantages as well. They do say though that it would be misleading to the public that it would make a shift in the age structure. You are correct in saying there is no data on what lowering the limit would do: so do you think it would have any effect in those who do buy the extra tags? I think it would - I think you would see some hunters decide to buy hunting licenses in other states - will those hunters still hunt the same amount of time hunting in WV? Will it effect them in harvesting does? What will it do the economy in the areas they normally hunt?

Again I think WV has done it right - they let the hunter make the choice! Shoot 1 buck, 2 or 3. There are ample areas to hunt through WV that offer trophy hunting opportunities. Heck not only does the state provide areas - there are many clubs that have chosen to set there own rules ob the type or amount of bucks which can be harvested.

28-Mar-22
I specifically recall Dr. Crum saying it won’t hurt anything. I think it’s fairly obvious that it won’t hurt anything because a lot of states have a 1 or 2 buck limit and it’s pretty obvious it’s not hurting anything.

I’m not talking about # of 1.5 year old bucks. I’m talking about antlerless/antlered ratio. If your saying a .7 ratio is the right and only way that it works then are all our surrounding states doing it the wrong way ? Or is there something unique about WV that only a .7 ratio works here ?

I’ll tell u the answer, it’s about buck/doe ratio. Having hunted several of the surrounding states

I’ve yet to have someone in WV tell me they saw too many bucks while hunting, but I have heard frequently that they went hunting and only saw does.

28-Mar-22
I specifically recall Dr. Crum saying it won’t hurt anything. I think it’s fairly obvious that it won’t hurt anything because a lot of states have a 1 or 2 buck limit and it’s pretty obvious it’s not hurting anything.

I’m not talking about # of 1.5 year old bucks. I’m talking about antlerless/antlered ratio. If your saying a .7 ratio is the right and only way that it works then are all our surrounding states doing it the wrong way ? Or is there something unique about WV that only a .7 ratio works here ?

I’ll tell u the answer, it’s about buck/doe ratio. Having hunted several of the surrounding states

I’ve yet to have someone in WV tell me they saw too many bucks while hunting, but I have heard frequently that they went hunting and only saw does.

28-Mar-22
So I do not know much about it but if no one is shooting 3 bucks why does it matter?

28-Mar-22
I think it comes down to it’s what the majority of the hunters want. If there’s no negative effect to the resource, it’s financially feasible, then it comes down to what the hunters wants , after all they are the ones paying for it. The surveys have shown the majority of hunters that buy licenses, landowners that don’t buy licenses, and nonresident license buyers all want to see the buck limit reduced from 3-2.

It’s America, the public should have a say. If there’s no negative effect to resource and it’s financially doable they deserve input .

Personally, my opinion is that it will make a difference. It won’t be overnight but it will improve the herd over time based on biology and sociology.

28-Mar-22
I am still not for sure the majority wants it - those who are normally satisfied with the status quo normally don’t speak up until a change comes. So it will be interesting - I think it will effect things with a impact. More WV hunters will spend less time here and go to other states and I think it will have a negative impact on the population as well. Again time will tell.

It should would be nice to get information on the WMA that have had special regulations for awhile now. People that I know who hunt them say they aren’t that great to hunt anymore.

28-Mar-22
Well I am just a dumb ole boy but honesty we essentially have a 2 buck limit now if no one is killing 3. Maybe thats why the havn't changed it.

28-Mar-22
JayD, please explain your logic because I’m not following. You say going from 3-2 will drive people away yet most of our surrounding states have a 1 or 2 buck limit . Where will they be driven to ? Are people going to think well, wv only has a 2 buck limit so I’m not going to buy a license here but go somewhere where I can kill the same number of bucks or less,

That makes no sense. We already have people not buying licenses here and going out of state to hunt because where they’re going has a lower buck limit. It’s already happening but for the exact opposite reason you’re claiming that they’ll do it for. I’m sure it isn’t but it seems half the people I know have leases in OH.

28-Mar-22
JR you are absolutely correct - plus you have hunters who are buy extra tags and not filling them but the DNR is still get the revenue! In my opinion it’s pretty silly to want to stop that!

28-Mar-22
Jayd, You are right it is all about the money and nothing else matters .

28-Mar-22
Ummm gee whiz I hear hunters here complain all the time about the non-residents who come here to hunt. Here in the panhandle we have quite a few PA hunters - I hear a lot people from the western part of the state talk all the time about how OH hunters who come here and kill 3 small bucks and then go back to OH and kill a whopper.

I have already heard hunters here say they will start going elsewhere to hunt some - if the limit drops to 2. So your darn right it will effect hunting here.

28-Mar-22
Jayd , I live within 2 miles of McClintic wma and also hunt Beech fork wma. I can tell you this, Hunting in and around these 2 WMA areas is good to great with bucks in 150+ class taken yearly .

28-Mar-22
Greg I hear that all the time how people aren’t hunting here but going to other states - so where is the data on that?

So why would they go to other states and not the 4 bow only counties? Why are they hunting one of the many WMA areas with restrictions? Why don’t they join a lease here that implements their own limits? Are there some that do that - probably but I don’t think it’s many because they have options to hunt here in WV. Lower the tags and those people who buy them will go else where and I think there will be many more going to other states and it will hurt us here.

28-Mar-22
I've been lucky and hunted numerous other states. The reason behind every visit is because it offered a quality, NOT QUANTITY, of bucks not readily available here.

28-Mar-22
No one kills 3 bucks so let it alone. Regardless of what other states do.

28-Mar-22
JAYD, I live in mason co on the ohio river i know of ten people who dont even hunt WV any more, and yes people do the wma but public land isnt for everyone. You say why not hunt bow only counties? Have you ever hunted bow only counties ? Ever tried to get in on a good lease ? Both those things are not easily done.

28-Mar-22
Hoppies you know what I would love to see - let’s get the data from our WMA and compare the difference with those that have restrictions and those that don’t - I think that would tell all of us quite a lot. Don’t you agree?

28-Mar-22
JayD, according to DNR data 90% of deer hunters hunt private land, either owned, permitted, or leased. 10% hunt public land, either NF, State forest, or WMA. By far NF is bigger at almost a million acres in WV . IDK what percentage hunt WMAs or older age managed WMAs but by size it would have to be much less than 10%. Not that they’re not important but it is a much smaller percentage than the overall percentage. What specific information from those do you think it would be valuable to know ?

29-Mar-22
Not for sure what you are saying there Greg - are you saying that info that would be gained from comparing data on our WMA wouldn’t mean anything? I don’t know I think it would be pretty obvious to see if the WMA with restrictions are having any impact on age structure compared to those that don’t have restrictions.

Yet you say 1022 people (doesn’t even make up a half of 1 percent of total wv hunters) respond to a comment period that needed to be extended and it speaks for the majority of 225,000 to 250,000 WV hunters?

Wow I am shocked that 90% of hunters in WV hunt on private land! Where is that info located ? I think that really puts an emphasis on landowners and how much they give towards the DNR and hunting community! One of the reasons why there shouldn’t be a landowner tag or license in my opinion.

29-Mar-22
I was asking what info u wanted from the WMAs . U just said info from WMAs with antler restrictions harvest. Yes , I would like to see that too.

During the e-mail period, it was advertised multiple times , it was even extended for 2.5 months For around 5 months for everyone to have opportunity to express their opinion . How long would you have it extended? I think 5 months is more than reasonable . If people didn’t do it in 5 months I’m not sure extending it would add much . If people didn’t take advantage in 5 months that doesn’t take away from people that did.

During an election with low turnout the person with the most votes still wins the election. There was ample notice during Commission meeting and across media. People had ample opportunity to express their view .

I may be mistaken but I think the 90% number comes from bowhunter survey .

29-Mar-22
Well Greg I am just telling you what I saw during the comment period and then the extension-

You said it was advertised multiple times - I don’t get a newspaper and the local stations around my neck of the woods are more from other states than WV - so I only saw it on the WV DNR Facebook site and I only saw it once. Now what I did see was that the director went on another Facebook page that supports lowering the limit - believe it was at least 2 times and he posted to the members about it was important for them to comment. Which I have no problem with him doing - but I didn’t see that happen on other Facebook pages. Then several of the members made a good effort to get the others to comment - again no problem with that as well.

Now I am not on all wv outdoor related Facebook pages so maybe there were others but I didn’t hear of any. I do know that on the one page that supports lowering the limit that they kept a running of tally of those members who made a comment. I have heard that before the period was extended that not quite 200 people had made comments but after the extension and the director’s visit to the one page and the effort put forth by several of the administrators or moderators that the number grew to 1022.

Now I am not going to say that the comment period was staged or rigged but I can see where such events would get the outcome that happened.

I don’t know how reliable the info would be from the bow survey - not many participate - that would be something worthwhile to find out though the percentage of hunters in WV who use public lands.

29-Mar-22
Greg - I just would have liked to see some better data such as how the restrictions on WMA have done compared to those without. Is it making a big difference with age - are bucks harvested bigger weight and rack wise? Is the herd healthier?

A lot of this stuff could have been ask for and if certain info came out - heck I may be for lowering the limit if it made a substantial difference.

Heck I told you before - I put out the idea to make a couple counties in each district a 2 buck limit and then after a certain time period look at the results.

I think that would be a much better way to go about instead of with the surveys or comments periods - I just don’t think they are very accurate. JMO

29-Mar-22
I agree with the data on the older aged management areas. I’ve been a commissioner for 8 years and haven’t seen any data. But on the other hand I haven’t specifically asked for it either. I’ve discussed it with several biologists in a couple districts but didn’t ask for hard data

29-Mar-22
I think it would be some good info to have - maybe some young college student working on their masters will think about doing it sometime.

And you see we can agree on something! LOL

29-Mar-22
And do you have data from wma's before they were Antler Restrictions to compare with for success.

29-Mar-22
Why would you need that if you were comparing WMA’s with restrictions to those without?

30-Mar-22
Guess it depends if you want to compare oranges to oranges or oranges to apples.

I firmly believe the restrictions work. I also firmly believe landowners hunt the edge, probably because of the better opportunity coming from the WMA. Probably not because of the three buck limit on their land.

And in no way do I think population of WV will suffer under a lower limit.

30-Mar-22
No it’s not like comparing oranges to apples at all - if these restrictions are going to work then we should be seeing a difference already on each of these WMA’s that have restrictions compare to the ones that don’t have them.

Sort of funny what I have witness on the WMA are the public land hunters normally hunt near the private land boundaries. So you firmly believing doesn’t really sway what I have actually observed what so ever.

30-Mar-22
Jayd. I know for fact that hunting for mature bucks in McClintic as well as bordering private land has gotten much better due one buck limit and ar . Take a drive thru Mcclintic some August evening or come talk with people who live here and hunt the area about how it has changed for the better . Like i said before all about the money , WV dnr does not want to lose money from sale of extra buck tags . Heck they even want their money up front that is why they force hunters to buy extra tags before season .

30-Mar-22
Hoppies - I am glad to hear that about McClintic! Again I think the DNR has gotten it right to provide some WMA and the 4 bow only areas but I think they are also right in letting the hunter make the choice.

Sleepy Creek WMA is getting better but without restrictions but doing so thru habitat improvement projects. Again I think it would be great to get the data from our WMA and compare - I think it could tell us a lot.

30-Mar-22
I think comparing a single WMA to itself before and after limits/restrictions would be more beneficial to see if they made a difference?

30-Mar-22
I think comparing a single WMA to itself before and after limits/restrictions would be more beneficial to see if they made a difference?

30-Mar-22
I don’t know if that would be possible because I don’t know if they kept the records on individual WMA back before the restrictions were put in place - but it wouldn’t hurt to see that at all.

I think comparing WMA with restrictions and without would be very interesting as well.

30-Mar-22
If the bigger bucks are on public land why does everyone hunt public ground?

30-Mar-22
I’ve been saying for years that the state won’t give up the extra buck tags. Since not many people kill 3 deer we basically have a 2 buck limit. I say add more buck tags. No one will kill anymore deer and the state will make more money. A no brained

30-Mar-22
Babysaph , You are right the the state of wv is not going to give up extra buck tags . Because it all about all money not the deer. Why does dnr require hunters to purchase extra buck tags before season ? They want their money up front period .

30-Mar-22
Babysaph , Not all public land may not have older deer , However WV has i think a few public areas that have a one buck limit as well AR . I believe those areas have bucks that have some age on them. I do know that McClintic WMA has produced a number of bucks in 150+ class . You asked why more people dont hunt public land . 1 Most people are lazy no atvs on most public land so that means boot time . 2. recovery of deer not a easy thing 2 miles + back from your vehicle . 3 hunting mature whitetails is tough but add in pressure from others and these mature whitetail get really tough as they become very nocturnal . Hunting public land is not for everyone no matter how big the deer are .

30-Mar-22
That is true. But some guys would buy even more tags up front. Even if they didn’t use em

30-Mar-22
Heck If I was a landowner hunting near public land and the best hunting was over on the public land I would just walk over on the public land. LOL. But that is just me.

30-Mar-22
Babysaph , Why would you want to go hunt public land if you had private land bordered a wma that had a one buck limit and ar . Dont you think the hunting pressure on public land would make your land a much better place to hunt . I sure think that way The deer dont know where public land ends and your land starts .

30-Mar-22
Wait !! WV can produce 150+ bucks outside of the bow counties with a different management style ? Wow , who would have thought that !!

Insert sarcastic emoji with eye roll here

30-Mar-22
Ummm I believe that has been happening all along through out WV with rolled up eyes.

I think I will continue to listen to our trained professional biologist - those biologist that the our former director called some of the best in the world instead of some proclaimed deer experts from Facebook- insert emoji of eyes rolling and bouncing in their sockets……

31-Mar-22
Same biologist that age more 2.5 year olds than almost any state in nation?

Same biologist that don't get anywhere near the antlerless kill needed in many counties because people focus on bucks only?

31-Mar-22
Same biologist that age more 2.5 year olds than almost any state in nation?

Same biologist that don't get anywhere near the antlerless kill needed in many counties because people focus on bucks only?

31-Mar-22
Greg - I apologize for going in that direction again it just irritates me when the debate turns from stating our opinions to one of us saying something like the emoji comment with rolled up eyes to make it seem the other side is so foolish for believing what they do.

Seriously, should I have rolled my eyes every time you talked about how much you liked the previous director even though he thought our deer biologist was a dream team? And you know I Liked the guy too just didn’t agree with everything he did and that should be ok.

No it is not obvious what the results would be if the limit got lowered - it’s all just opinions right now and educated guesses. There are facts out there that support both sides of this issue. And again I will state - I think WV has done the right thing in providing the opportunity for both side of this issue.

Hoppies I know you think it’s all about the money - I don’t completely agree with you but it is somewhat - what do you think the DNR does with that money? I really don’t think they are splitting it up amongst themselves - I think it goes back into the programs to help us the sportsmen and women of WV.

Again I apologize for going down that road again.

31-Mar-22
So I take it you were not a fan of the former director as well since he said they were some of the best biologist in the world and were his dream team?

Sorry but I will listen to the trained and professional biologist……

Oh and which theory says that harvesting more 2.5 year olds than 1.5 is a bad thing? Gee just looked at the nda numbers so WV has a lower percentage of 1.5 year olds killed than KY, OH, MD, PA , TN and VA - never heard NDA or QDMA say that is a problem. Again have heard them say that there should be no more than like 32 percent of the kill should be 1.5 year olds and we fall way below that.

The reason why I listen to our biologist!

31-Mar-22
No, I liked the former director a lot. I think he did a great job .

I just find it odd that that you can take something random that I said that had ZERO mention of former director and twist it somehow into implying that I didn’t like the former director and state it as matter of fact . That is not even a logical sequence of pontification .

This is why I quit debating with you JayD and I think I’m done again .

31-Mar-22
Jayd, Once again, you can't interject how you want people to feel and base an argument based off said assumption.

31-Mar-22
Once again you two are the ones twisting things - not once did i say - you, Greg, did not like the Director - I do recall you accusing me of not liking him or attacking him. I said you can like a person and not agree with them all the time. You insert your little eye rolls or talk about certain management strategies - why do the eye rolls if you don't think the status quo is wrong or with an eye roll I would say foolish? My issue with you was the way you dismiss others beliefs not how you felt about the former director.

Since you want to make this issue though lets go on and ask - since you don't agree with the deer management strategy that is happening - and correct me if I am wrong several years ago you gave deer management an "F" here in WV. So were you not a little disturbed that the Director came out and said our deer biologist were some of the best in the world and would make up his dream team? Lets face it one person saying the biologist are the best in the world and another saying they deserve an F is pretty much extreme - Its really is ok to say you disagree with someone and still like them. So get off the crap about twisting things because you do it in a sneaky little way all the time. And to be honest with you it is logical to ask a commissioner his thoughts on this since you feel so strongly on how you feel the deer management strategy is so bad here. Again you gave the strategy an "F" grade and the former director called the people running the deer program his dream team!

Corey - I don't even know why I even start with you - you come here and make your statements about oh the biologist that age more 2.5 year old bucks then most other states and the same biologist who don't get the antlerless kill needed - and then think no one should take anything away from it. Heck most on here don't have a clue to anything you say anymore - your talking points change like the wind. LOL first it was oh too many people are shooting 3 bucks - numbers came out showing hardly anyone does and you switch to well no one uses the third tag why have them! LOL then its we kill too many 1.5 year olds - data comes out that no we really don't so now its we lead the nation in percentage of 2.5 year olds killed.

So yea I am going to listen to our professional biologist who still recommend that we DO NOT lower the buck limit from 3 to 2 instead of listening to the deer experts here on social media.

31-Mar-22
I thought I read above that someone above said that guys hunt the edge of the public ground to get the best bucks off the public land. I stand by my statement if the best bucks are on the public land I’d hunt there. And then I’d go back to my land with my other tags. Lol. What’s not to like?

31-Mar-22
Guys we essentially have a 2 bucks limit if no one kills 3 bucks. The deer herd isn’t being reduced. The bucks are bigger. Guys that want to hunt 3 bucks can and the state gets the money for the tags

31-Mar-22
Jayd,

You frame peoples opinion to meet your argument then play the victim.

You didn't post the advantages on your screenshot.

I looked over WV HUNTERS for Better Buck Management with the search engine but couldn't find what you said the director had done. Maybe a screenshot would work?

31-Mar-22
Two quotes from Jayd to Greg??

So I take it you were not a fan of the former director as well since he said they were some of the best biologist in the world and were his dream team?

Once again you two are the ones twisting things - not once did i say - you, Greg, did not like the Director

Might just be semantics but interjecting that someone is not a fan then saying you never said they didn't like the director is kid's play.

31-Mar-22
Corey I just don't know why I even waste time...... I took a screenshot of the whole report that I could see - I didn't see anywhere where it had advantages - like I said before in the initial report it stated something like the only advantage would be the perception it would give to some people.

Guess you need to look a little harder because his comments were there. I cannot take a screenshot of it for you now because as you know I am not a member of that group. I said the director made two comments on the page saying something like the comment period was extended and that people should comment. I believe I also said above that that was fine and dandy as well. Also said that at least one of your members got a running tally of people commenting going - again I think that was a good call for you all - I believe it might have been BOJ so good job for him.

As normal you are wrong again on the quotes - the first quote was not to Greg it was to you. It should of been pretty easy to figure it out as to the whole post was talking to you and your comments on our biologist. it was asking if that was how you felt about the director - because your answers are always so confusing. It is so hard to figure out what you mean most of the time because you flipflop quite often. I cannot count the number of times I hear you say one thing and then something totally different moments later. Your two sentences about our biologist(2.5 year olds and antlerless harvest) - doesn't sound like you are very impressed with their work at all and you have said many others things to make that point clear as well. Funny thing is that in your opinion to the Charleston Gazette you said -- "Our highly trained wildlife biologists have said that lowering the buck limit will have no negative biological effect." So several things on that statement : first off you really think they are highly trained? That almost seems incredible to hear you say after reading your two comments on them above. Next, that is a hilarious take on them saying that lowering the limit would have no effect on the age structure of our buck population- umm how can you see that as a positive statement on lowering the limit when they say doing that would not perform the outcome you wish to happen!. LOL thats sort of like saying after a bird flies over and takes a dump on you - then singing I have fertilizer for the garden! LOL Just another situation in which who knows how to take what you say. So are they highly trained or are they biologist who allow the most 2.5 year old bucks to be taken and they can't get the antlerless harvest that you desire?

LOL what a hoot - kids play.......

Dear Commissioner - I am so sorry to have offended you once again so sorry to see you go. There are no rolling my eyes as I type this either.....

04-Apr-22

Anglinscreek's embedded Photo
Jayd,

Here's the advantages you just happened to leave off. Probably easy to miss, idk.

Pay specialty attention to where it says what most hunters want.

04-Apr-22

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
Looks like your screenshot is from the original report from what I believe was done in 2019.

Again - I did not leave anything out - when I bring up the page the report is on - the screenshots I post are EXACTLY what I see. I have tried to post the url here but it keeps saying there is some kind of internal error with the site. I will try again and take a screenshot of what I get.

In the updated report it looks like they have left out the advantages - I don’t know if that is an error or they meant to do so. All I know is - our HIGHLY TRAINED biologist are once again recommending to leave the limit at 3.

ROFL seriously you are going to use that quote: attempting to grow deer with large antlers, a trait that most hunters desire! You do know that probably since man has been chasing deer each and every hunter has desired that? Heck I agree with that statement whole-heartedly! And guess what - it sure looks like hunters are doing that all across the state of WV! Just look at all the huge bucks from WV that were posted on the many Facebook pages this year.

Heck - look at what Hoppies has post about a fairly small WMA , McClintic, about how quite a few big bucks are coming off. I believe it’s property that those HIGHLY TRAINED biologist are managing.

I know your next statement will be - yes but McClintic has restrictions- same kind of deer are coming off other WMA in WV that don’t have them. I am Going to post a pic of something one of our biologist said and I agree with him totally! WV is doing it right!

04-Apr-22

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
Here is what I get when I try to post the link for the url.

05-Apr-22

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
Interesting to see where you drew a black line through specific text. Guess it just happened or was easy to miss. IDK

So where you said in your opinion the biologist said there would be no negative effect by lowering the limit to 2 - I would say that hunters having less recreational time, loss revenue and it could lead to poorer habitat and higher deer density resulting in smaller antlers was just overlooked as negative impact?

05-Apr-22
Look guys. Here is the deal. The DNR will not reduce the buck kill becomes they need the money. Period. And like I have been saying we have essentially a two deer limit now since most hunters don’t kill 3 bucks. And as far as surveys, I’ve never been surveyed. Maybe not all hunters were surveyed. Just mange your place the way you want to produce the bucks you want or hunt the WMA’s where all the big bucks are. Or hunt the bow only counties. Myself I need to get some spikes off my new place. Inferior deer to breed . Lol

05-Apr-22
Babysaph , YES all about money, DNR just wants to sell tags. period

05-Apr-22
No harm in that. Heck. I say raise it to 5 bucks. More money for the state and no more bucks killed . What’s not to like?

05-Apr-22
Greed, Maybe thats good for you Babysaph , but most hunters like myself dont have extra money with gas prices and cost of living this days . So yes the dnr should gouge more money from deer hunters. GEEZ

05-Apr-22
Just don't buy the tags. You are not killing 3 bucks anyway. We all have high gas prices and cost of living. Just because you can buy the extra tags doesn't mean you have to.

05-Apr-22
I dont buy extra buck tags period , One buck and done for me .

05-Apr-22
Hoppies - that is great - do what you feel is best - that is the flexibility of the program the biologist told me about.

I don’t understand the greed part though - again don’t you think that money goes back into projects that help us all out? Maybe it helps pay for a few more DNR law enforcement officer. Since very few hunters shoot 3 buck or even 2 what’s the harm? Seriously the extra revenue to the DNR can only be a benefit as the extra revenue the hunters who continue to hunt and put money into the local economy does as well!

05-Apr-22
JAYD, , Why is it the DNR FORCES!! hunters to buy extra buck tags before season starts ? Why not let hunters buy extra buck tags as needed like class n stamps ? GREED

05-Apr-22

I absolutely do NOT agree that the Genesis with additional tag sales was to increase antlerless harvest. Sounds pretty stupid since the additional gun tag is BUCKS ONLY. Also, ironic that the additional archery tag is to increase antlerless harvest but around 70% of archery harvest is antlered.

Equally absurd is lowering the buck limit from 3 to 2 could potentially lead to higher deer density with poorer antler quality from less nutrition, and habitat degradation.

Since 700-800 third bucks are killed yearly I'm not sure how many of those bucks will be having fawns to create higher deer density.

Such a novel idea, protecting bucks leads to deminished antler quality. Who knew?

05-Apr-22
Antiquated and incomplete analysis. This white paper attempts to apply a 1995 understanding of hunter attitudes and response to a modern, post-QDM adoptive, management oriented hunting population that has clearly and consistently demonstrated their desire for this change. No attempt at an in depth human dimensions analysis of decision making changes that may occur with fewer antlered tags. The case study data is out there. It is current, it is profound and it is ignored.

05-Apr-22
Well I already know quite a few people who have said if the limit gets lowered they will get a license and hunt other states as well. If that happens you are darn tootin that there will be a good chance at higher deer density without a doubt! Doesn’t take a genius to figure that out…..

And without a doubt there would be more WV hunters that would go to other states to hunt than the supposed hunters who are upset with the limit who go to other states. Why are those hunters not going to the trophy deer areas the state has now? Again it’s just more dreamed up facts that can’t be proven.

05-Apr-22
Hoppies - again you don’t have to buy the extra tags - it’s your choice! Again what do you think the DNR does with that money?

Let me tell you if the limit gets lowered you will see prices go up and you will get less product.

05-Apr-22
So if a limit gets lowered hunters go to other states and that 800 or so deer a year saved will cause a population explosion?

More hunters going to other states because we lower our limit? Watch out for the Kool aid. Will they be going to a one buck state, two buck, or desperately yearning for that magical three buck limit state that meant so much to them?

And actually the overall limit will stay the same, so you get the same product unless your only desire is antlers.

05-Apr-22
JAYD ,So a few hunters are going out of state to kill a deer. Just how many hunters would that take to have a effect on deer herd in WV ? 5% 10% 20% I doubt there would be enough going out of state to matter ?

05-Apr-22
Shoot one two or three. They all eat good. Or just shoot does. They eat good too.

05-Apr-22
Jayd, I know plenty of hunters who would gladly pay more money for license to see the state lower the buck limit . Seems strange to me what works in Ohio ,PA, and KY wont work in WV when it comes to lower buck limit .

05-Apr-22
Hoppies - I think it would make a big difference because it would be the more successful hunters that would be spending less time hunting here.

I don’t understand why you have a problem with the cost now but would not have a problem with cost if the limit were lowered?

Again Corey your argument doesn’t make any sense - one of the complaints with the status quo is your side says all these hunters have left to hunt other states with all these monster bucks. Don’t they have the option to hunt the Trophy areas in WV instead of going to another state?

I could not say what percentage it would be but when you take recreational time away from a group - you can bet they will goes elsewhere!

So tell me what the number is of these so called wv residents who are not hunting here but go to other states to kill a big buck is? What is there success rate doing that?

05-Apr-22
Where are the pics of the big bucks they kill

05-Apr-22
So dropping the limit won't do anything but we are going to have a max exodus of hunters leaving the state to create a population explosion that degraded habitat and antlers quality with the deer in our state.

Got it.

05-Apr-22
I said nothing about a Max exodus of hunters - now your side has said that. You will see a loss of hunters though and it will be the ones who are more successful (probably because they spend more time in the woods) - more serious hunters and yes - you will see a drop in the harvest. I think it will be more of a drop in antlerless harvest as well - because those guy will kill 1 or 2 bucks and spend more time in another state hunting additional bucks instead of hunting does here. I also don’t think you will see a drop in the buck harvest because those bucks passed on by hunters not killing a thirds or 2nd buck - will either get harvested by another hunter (since there are about 180,000 hunters who are normally unsuccessful each year in WV) or they will get killed by predators or an auto.

There will be an actually loss of hunters and not some made up theory that hunters are leaving a state that provides trophy areas to go to other states to kill a big buck.

06-Apr-22
I’m curious why say most hunters aren’t killing 3 bucks anyway so no need for. Ha he but then say that you think hunters will start going elsewhere if the limit gets reduced? If they are not killing a third buck anyway why would a law change cause them to hunt somewhere else? I could see that being more likely if it went all the way to a 1 buck limit? I personally have no preference or strong opinion either way on this. Been a long time since I killed two bucks in a season, let alone three. I’ll continue to hunt within the established regulations, whatever those may be.

06-Apr-22
So you are saying more hunters will have initial success? Same thing Tennessee experienced while age class of harvest went up. Gotcha

06-Apr-22
And exactly how will WV lose money if these hunters are still killing buck 1 and 2 here but moving in our of state when finished? Didn't they still buy license and stamps here and have success?

Other state might be making money, but don't see where WV will lose money. Truly don't get that.

06-Apr-22
It’s because of the opportunity to hunt them - it’s fairly simple don’t understand why you don’t get that.

Those guys who are killing 3 or 2 bucks - I would bet kill antlerless deer as well - when you take that opportunity away - heck yes they are going to look elsewhere- when they do fork out the money for out of state license do you really think they won’t cut back on their time hunt here in WV?

06-Apr-22
So they won’t be buying extra RB or RG tags more than likely. I bet antlerless tags take a hit as well. Then if they are hunting elsewhere don’t you think the economy here takes a hit as well? Think they might buy supplies and fuel in the other state they hunt instead of spending money here?

Oh and yes I said from the get go that unsuccessful hunters will more than likely kill the buck that another will give a pass too. I thought that would be fairly obvious but it took your side awhile to think it will happen. LOL yea I like how now - your side uses the unique hunter theory. LOL just another exaggerated theory. Guess it’s sort of like a trophy hunting participation award. So if you are agreeing now that more hunters will have the initial success and will kill those bucks that were normally killed by a hunter who kills multiple bucks ummmm - so how will the age structure improve if those bucks are still getting killed? LOL I know I won’t get an answer because you all never do answer. You just throw stuff out and see if it will stick.

Again glad you are on the bandwagon with me saying that those bucks will still probably get killed by that unique hunter. Been saying that would be the only result for years now!

So how are those trophy buck entrees going in TN now? Last time I looked they had dropped since they lowered the limit. LOL too much…..

Again let’s just listen to our: Highly trained Biologist as stated by some or listen to our biologist who are some of the best in the world as stated by the former director or his dream team of deer biologist!

06-Apr-22
Guys may not kill 3bucks but at least they can hunt them. Maybe a hunter goes out of state because he gets to hunt another buck. IDK. What I do know and have been saying for years on here is that there will not be a reduction in the buck limit due to money. And there are not enough 3rd bucks being killed to hurt the deer herd according to our DNR

06-Apr-22
Guys may not kill 3bucks but at least they can hunt them. Maybe a hunter goes out of state because he gets to hunt another buck. IDK. What I do know and have been saying for years on here is that there will not be a reduction in the buck limit due to money. And there are not enough 3rd bucks being killed to hurt the deer herd according to our DNR

06-Apr-22
Babysaph , True all about money ,it woudnt matter how many were killing 3 bucks. Still would be all about the money.

06-Apr-22
Babysaph , True all about money ,it woudnt matter how many were killing 3 bucks. Still would be all about the money.

06-Apr-22
Great it’s all about the money - money that goes towards projects that will help all hunters out - what’s the problem?

Oh no that is right you would rather have product taken away and be charged more and it would be ok? LOL

06-Apr-22
I think the money will help the DNR. Maybe some more officers etc

06-Apr-22
JAYD , There are many ways the dnr could restructure licenses fees and tags and lower buck limit and no lose money . Like i said what gets me is they dnr forces hunters to buy buck tags before season , even if the buck population is down they still get their money up front . When there 6 or 7 doe to every 1 buck something is not good. Just maybe if dnr lowered buck limit hunters may kill more doe . You can say this or that and but their are a lot of younger hunters in this state who would like the state to lower buck limits . Things have changed and it is about time WV got with it just as many other states have done . We have beat this horse long enough time to move on . LET all go turkey hunting

07-Apr-22
"We have beat this horse long enough time to move on . LET all go turkey hunting"

I agree

08-Apr-22
Yea I want to kill a Jake lol

08-Apr-22
LOL JR - that jake will taste as good as those 3 spikes you will kill this Fall!

12-Apr-22
JR, you weren’t wrong about the private land line hunting comment. It was said. I shook my head when I read it too. That is what you call ready to defend till death right there. lol.

If the dnr data is correct concerning the number of hunters killing three bucks, there is no benefit to dropping the limit.

Are the total buck number s only the select few guide as the gospel including only antlered deer with over three inches of horn? Or, is it counting button bucks too?

We’ve been through this before, buck/doe ratios fix quickly. And unless the deer are dying out, we are growing much older deer. Could we change things and grow more deer to older ages? Yep we could. Should we? Not in my opinion.

The modern qdma practices has already changed hunting dramatically. Look what it’s done promoting leasing. About 50,000 acres in the bow only counties gone to the general public. Poof. Atta boy. That helps the cause. It happens every where qdma has influenced. But, that’s good for hunting. Right?

We’ve got the LARGEST bow only hunting area in the lower 48. The leasing has changed access to the corporate owned lands there. But, there’s pushing 50,000 acres of state wma’s in those areas. Granting you access. I hunted some of the wma areas 20 years ago. I hunt the same areas now.

You know what’s different? Far fewer hunters. Everyone hunting their wood lots or areas of timber complaining about what the neighbors kids are shooting. I’ll take it.

FWIW, commissioners openly guaranteeing a change to buck limits, deals made to gain the vote, and disinformation caused by cherry picking info spread by the cool club, ensures it’s coming. But, I’ll guarantee one thing to everyone reading this. Going to two bucks is not going to show a lot of hunters what they think it is.

So, the push will continue by the same bunch to do something else more restricting. Until they get to define your trophy. And that’s what it is all about. Ensuring your fellow hunter kills what you feel is appropriate. Say it ain’t so and you are lying. It’s the sole reason for AR’s.

Whatever happens, if you fool around and take away opportunity for every license buyer to be a two season hunter, then you’ve failed miserably. Don’t assume that won’t happen either.

13-Apr-22
Once again, does are open for a three season hunter. You can still be a three season hunter, just not a three season buck hunter. If it's about the experience and meatand not just the antlers then that shouldn't be a problem.

Bow only counties already had a one buck limit so lowering the buck limit hasn't caused any lease issues there.

I would argue most leases outside hate bow only are because people want better bucks and it's more attainable with private land.

Button bucks or bucks with less than three inches are antlerless deer. They only count as male when you look at male vs. Female not antlered and antlerless.

Deals made to gain votes? Don't get that one. If you allude to questionable activity may I please remind you of Commissioner Kenny Wilson with Cranberry and numerous other B's

13-Apr-22
WVMountaineer,

Completely agree with you on the cherry picking of info.

I was sort of surprised when i recently found out that the TN Biologist did not want their limit lowered as well - it was just the commission there that did and from what I read even the majority of the hunters did not want it.

Now when you look at some of the numbers coming from there - I really worry as to what will happen if the limit were to be lowered here. Our biologist here did not say there would be no negative impact if the limit were lowered. They did say it could lead to higher deer densities with poorer antler growth from less nutrition and habitat degradation!

So lets look at what has happened to TN since they lowered their limit - their buck harvest has increased and according to NDA annual report the harvest number of 3.5 year olds has increased and 1.5 years olds has decreased - sounds good doesn't it. Yet the number of their trophy buck entrees has decreased! ummm can we say - higher deer density and poor antler growth maybe??? Now I am not saying that is the case for certain but who can say that hasn't happened as well. Like I have stated before lets do some research before putting something like this in to place.

I really don't understand why we are listening to what is happening in some of these other states anyhow - From some of the stuff I have seen TN before lowering their limit averaged around 40 trophy buck entrees each year after lowering their limit it looks to 30 something a year and from what I was shown the other day for last year it is a whopping 19 so far! WV here recently is pushing 80 entrees per year and we are about half the size of TN.

Lets just listen to our biologist here and let things as they are - you know those biologist some have claimed to be highly trained, a dream team and some of the world best!

13-Apr-22
Well what Mountaineer said is what I have been saying. Since not many kill 3 bucks we essentially have a 2 deer limit. And I am serious. Raise it to 4. The DNR gets extra money and no one kills 4 deer. Whats not to like? I say just manage your land for the bucks you want to kill. Then everyone wins.

13-Apr-22
3 spikes and you are done. I need to cull some of those inferior deer off my place.

• Sitka Gear