Muskybuck 04-May-22
Wink501 04-May-22
CaptMike 06-May-22
10-Apr-22
https://dnrwi.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_51M2x0oV0oybaQu

10-Apr-22
Done

16-Apr-22
I just received my monthly news letter from ABC Sportsman. This caught my eye, so I thought I post it. Neil Messerschmidt raised attention at our April meeting regarding the continued decline in deer numbers across the public lands of Bayfield County. He expressed concern that the issue is not getting enough consideration from the CDAC committee and they need to hear from more hunters who would like to see the deer population increased here. Neil has gathered a great deal of information regarding this issue and would like to hear from those that share his concern. He can be reached at; Email - [email protected] Phone - 608-332 0204

16-Apr-22
Bayfield,,, will never recover, till the wolves are seriously controlled, which will be never,,,,, I have fond memories of my first deer camp, 76 to 94. I know what that county can produce..... Politics and BS have ruined one of the most outstanding areas I ever hunted.....

In the early 80's friends from South Dakota, would come and join our deep in the woods rifle camp..... Its a shame, how they f..... that county

16-Apr-22
Ground, I hope you wrote that in the CDAC survey above. They really need to hear this. The new tourism rep who is the Mayor of Washburn might take notice if she hears people have quit hunting in the county. I know it is true but they need to hear it.

17-Apr-22
I think her idea of tourism is the Bayfield tourist coming from the Twin Cities to see the orchards, do the silent sports, hear a wolf howl, shop the downtown boutiques, etc.

17-Apr-22
It seems the businesses up there are more worried about the tourism than locals or hunters.

17-Apr-22
Sorry - Double post

17-Apr-22
Wisconsin has always been about tourism, including non resident hunters. That is why licenses are so cheap when compared to many other states. It probably makes economic sense.

17-Apr-22
Most all states rely on tourism.

17-Apr-22
Not tourism from hunting.

17-Apr-22
Packed restaurants and bars, busy gas stations, and booked rooms used to provide a nice bump in revenue for some of the small business owners during deer season. Not any more.

19-Apr-22

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
I've heard if more does aren't shot in the north woods, that the DNR is going to use their new tool for herd reduction.

19-Apr-22
But Hoot, won't that destroy more trees than deer? The forester will get mad and the CDAC will declare a no fly zone.

19-Apr-22
No damage to trees or environment, as those are not ordinary bombs that explode. They are bombs loaded with deer attractant laced with birth control chemicals that are designed specifically for deer. They call them CNF bombs, short for cluster no f##ks.

20-Apr-22
groundhunter50 said it well. The deer in Bayfield County especially north of Hwy 2 will never recover until wolves are controlled. The number of doe permits has little bearing on deer numbers in an area where winters can be harsh and wolves run rampant. I have hunted both N and S of hwy 2 since 1977 and the outlook is grim. I have seen 1st hand how wolves move in and decimate an area before moving on.

20-Apr-22
^^^ very true.

20-Apr-22
To clarify , I still think doe tags need drastic reduction to help but the wolf problem minimizes any tag reductions especially north of hwy 2 where deer numbers have never really recovered from 2013/2014 winters because of wolf depredation. Tag reduction could make a bigger difference south of hwy 2 where there is a lot of National Forest with more hunters and winters are a little better.

20-Apr-22
Doe tags will never be reduced significantly. The only chance is if the NRB board intervenes again and that sure brought out the whiners. Agendas, policy, politics, etc., of those who make the decisions on deer management have changed radically and against the herd returning to any semblance of where it was at prior to 2010. The unmanaged wolves just help to drive down the deer numbers which is fine for those in charge.

03-May-22
in southern Bayfield we hunt 3 sections of county and paper land w/ 12 guys for 8 days of gun season and a few of us hunt a week of bow in Nov and have a very good idea of whats going on w/ the few people we run into which we purposely want to talk too and hear what their seeing. I know of only a handful of does taken the last ten years but it doesn't matter. Last year there were 10k antlerless permits available and the County registered 4k bucks and does total. This is the same 1st grade math logic that says we killed 220 wolves of the 800 wolves in the state in 2-1/2 days and at the last minute. We take a game pole pick after every gun season and pics don't lie of the ebbs and flows

04-May-22
Bayfield Co CDAC meeting tonight 6PM. Can join via zoom

04-May-22
Bayfield County is not the only county in this state, screwed by deer mgt, of CDAC, but it is the only one on this site, that gets any attention

04-May-22
I’m curious, what are you trying to say?

04-May-22
If you’re not interested in Bayfield County then you can start a thread on another county. I think it would be awesome if more threads existed specific to regions or counties in Wisconsin. Problem solved. The reason why Bayfield gets so much attention is it was the first county to be screwed big time in 2017 just when the herd was building back. CDAC voted to decrease the herd while other counties in the north voted to increase. We also had a very anti-deer forestry rep and other tree huggers on the committee. We also have a lot of people on this site who hunt the area or did in the past. The county also has a very prolific wolf population. Hence it gets a lot of attention here.

04-May-22
I just got done listening to the Bayfield County CDAC meeting. After four hours of theatrics it appears the decision to issue even more public land tags than last year was a forgone conclusion. I think this may be my last year of hunting there. I don’t have an infinite amount of time to chase memories.

06-May-22
How sad that extremists can affect things like this. But, this is what apathy does. While hunters were busy hunting, working, living their lives and taking the ability to hunt as a given, these nut jobs were smart enough and dedicated enough to get themselves into positions where they could effect changes.

• Sitka Gear