Hoot 27-Apr-22
vilascounty 29-Apr-22
Stumpshooter 29-Apr-22
RUGER1022 30-Apr-22
Live2Hunt 02-May-22
19-Apr-22

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
When will spring arrive or will we go straight to summer?

19-Apr-22
Nice to see the weather patterns become more normal.

19-Apr-22
Today, 4-19, I went to my hunting property (southern Sauk Co.) and continued working on a trail I am creating/clearing. When I arrived (about 8:30 AM) there was about an inch of snow covering everything; by noon the sun had come out and temps were rising, by 2:00 PM the snow was gone and it was a beautiful Spring day. Like they say, "If you don't like WI weather, wait a bit and it will change!"

19-Apr-22
Case - How true on the Wisconsin weather. Did you see much for deer or sign?

19-Apr-22
Hey Jim, Actually,.....no, I wasn't really looking and was focused on the job at hand. I did see some that I just happened across but I would not say it was a lot. Was up there last weekend too and found something interesting; something I have only seen about a dozen times in all my years of hunting. Let me explain,...Years ago I read Dr. Ken Nordburg's books on deer hunting and I recall his discussions of what he called a "rage rub." Sure enough, a few days ago I discovered one from last fall. Had a buddy up there with me on Saturday and I showed it to him,...he was surprised,...don't think he'd ever seen one before. Anyone else here remember Dr. Ken and his ideas?

19-Apr-22
I watch Ken quite frequent on You Tube. Good info for big woods hunting. Last I saw he was trying to get petitioning going to get the gun season out of the rut in MN.

19-Apr-22
I've got all his Whitetail Hunters Almanacs. Some of my all time favorite books to read...

19-Apr-22
His bear hunting book is a must read. I had my 17 year old read it before we started our baits this past year. He learned a ton and it stuck with him why we were doing things and what was going on with transitions through the season

19-Apr-22
I tried making the bear bait he talked about with the corn but the bears wouldn't even touch it for some reason. Did you ever try it?

19-Apr-22
I made it with barley. 30 gallon trash can, add 15 gallons of barley, 10 gallons of water and 10#s sugar. Mix it all, put cover on and seal it up. Give it a week or so and a little sun. Best sugar glazed bear bait you could find man they love it!!!!!

19-Apr-22
I have all of his deer almanacs and have read them several times over the years. I liked his attention to detail and that he was hunting in the big woods of Minnesota. I definitely have come across rage rubs from time to time and would love to see a buck doing that in person. I’ve also seen smaller saplings snapped right in half.

20-Apr-22
Hoot. Awesome picture!

20-Apr-22
Did the same thing only with corn and it smelled like fuel for a dragster...lol.

20-Apr-22

20-Apr-22
I used that for bear bait one year. Smelled like it would work, but the bears would scoop it out and not eat it.

20-Apr-22
Off topic, but does anyone know if bears like cranberries?

20-Apr-22
Most likely not a favorite meal, mixed or topped off with something else might be better desired. I’ve seen bears pick through bait only eating what they like.

21-Apr-22

RUGER1022's embedded Photo
Still plenty of snow in the Northern exposures. Good news ?The Walleyes are biting .

21-Apr-22
Yep, I got out last week and got a few. Too much going on with a new addition I am getting ready to build at home. I will miss having the freezer stocked with some walleyes as I will miss spending time on the river catching them.

21-Apr-22
Got a few Perch this morning , going for Walleyes tonite. I'm on a mission this spring to load the freezer . Perch & Eyes are 15 to 19 dollars a lb .

21-Apr-22
Andrew - Mike is right on the cranberries, I tried them only once. When I checked the bait the next day the cranberries were strewn all over seemingly untouched. I had even sugared some of them down. Bears are the most fussy eaters I've ever encountered. Here's one of my videos of a bear meticulously picking trough bait to get to each fruit loop.

27-Apr-22

MjF's embedded Photo
MjF's embedded Photo

27-Apr-22
^ LOL

27-Apr-22

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Only in Wisconsin. lol

29-Apr-22
The snow is finally largely melted and I finally logged some good miles in the woods yesterday afternoon. Lots of flooded areas as expected, but generally really good walking conditions, it's not too muddy and you can get to a decent number of places with regular boots. A good number of trees were down, much more than usual between fall and spring.

These nice spring days before the bugs come are really a great time to be out.

29-Apr-22
Load the freezer, must be a mini freezer if you follow possession limits.

30-Apr-22

Caught 1 keeper Walleye early . Headed out to scout & call Turkeys . Nasty , wind & rain . Last week's hi winds downed more trees . Many swamps are a foot higher than normal . 2 Jakes came into the call . I let them go .

Time for indoor projects .

02-May-22
Got our cabin opened up, found a cracked water pipe, had to fix that. The guy who built the cabin did not think about the space word in crawl space. I literally have to squish my way through with my belly pressed to the ground and my back against the floor joists. Either I have to figure a way to run the plumbing inside at the ceiling or have a good wind hit and blow it down to start over. Deer were moving around pretty good at 1:00 pm hitting the green grass.

• Sitka Gear