Contributors to this thread:
Andrewjr 20-Apr-22
ohiohunter 22-Apr-22
Oryx35 22-Apr-22
Andrewjr 23-Apr-22
Oryx35 23-Apr-22
Oryx35 23-Apr-22
20-Apr-22
I'm an out of stater that pulled a muzzleloader deer tag for unit 26. Does anybody have any experience with that unit? From a quick search, it looks like there is a lot of inaccessible public land.

I'm from the northeast so I'm familiar with stand hunting for whitetail. I have a lot of studying to do.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

22-Apr-22
There’s a unit 26?

22-Apr-22
26 is an interesting one in that you can choose to hunt Coues whitetail or mule deer. Your choice in species will dictate how and where you hunt.

I personally have never had an issue with illegal border activity, but I don't hunt that unit without an accessible side arm. You are likely to see lots of federal law enforcement during the hunt. If you get off the road you will also find evidence of illegal crossing. In that sense it isn't a typical NM hunt, but some people really enjoy it.

23-Apr-22
Yea, border activity is one of my main concerns. How bad do you think the illegal activity is right now? Currently, I'm looking at some BLM land south of Lordsburg. Also, I've read some stuff where people were talking about Mt. Gillespie.

I would prefer Mule Deer or Coues... Just because I'm already surrounded by whitetail at home. But beggars can't be choosers.

23-Apr-22
I was last down there in January. I personally didn't see any increased traffic over years past, but I had heard multiple recent reports of issues. Based on that and the fact that I had my 4 year old with me, I took increased precaution. E.g. instead of camping, I got a hotel room, and I waited for a weekend when my brother was free to come as well. Your situation is likely different, but driving down to the hunt is likely still the most dangerous part.

It's been a long time since I've been in the BLM south of Lordsburg and I've never been to Mt Gillespie. I suspect you'll be able to find mule deer in both locations, but it'll be a lot harder in the flats.

23-Apr-22
I tried to add some terrain photos, but the upload from my phone to Bowsite keeps failing. I'll try to remember next time I'm on my computer. It's pretty open country.

• Sitka Gear