Pete-pec 08-May-22
MjF 08-May-22
RUGER1022 08-May-22
MjF 08-May-22
RUGER1022 09-May-22
RUGER1022 09-May-22
Nocturnal II 09-May-22
02-May-22
What are you looking for and what are you trying to accomplish during spring scouting? I spent some time in the woods this past week, found some old poop and some old presumbed beds, but not sure what use this info is to me. I know some deer were here at some point in the past, but without knowing what time of the year that was, this info doesn't really help me much come hunting season. It's still nice to know, though.

I usually don't see new scrapes outside of hunting season, so finding last year's scrapes are helpful and is good info for next fall .

Other than that, the best use I can get out of spring scouting is really more of just further familiarizing myself with the landscape. Checking out new areas I may want to hunt in the fall and further visiting familiar hunting areas. Going deeper into swamps that were bedding in last fall, and also just looking for new stand sites, ambush points, etc

02-May-22
Your scouting has far more usefulness and opportunities to learn than mine, simply because you are hunting public lands. I'm hunting land I'm rather familiar with, but there are things I do starting in the spring and throughout the summer that improve my experience.

I typically add one new stand, and move a couple existing stands. I replace straps where needed. I put in my bow holders and tree pegs which I use to hang my gear. I trim branches. I prune my entry trails and bend existing deer trails to swing near one of my many stands. I just ordered 2 new cellular cameras, so I'll be putting those out soon enough. I like to walk into those spots I know are bedding areas and look for beds matted with deer hair, and if I'm lucky, find a shed or two. I will talk to the landowner and find out what crops are getting planted where? I like to know where silage corn is going to be versus grain corn, and where the "greens" will be, in the form of alfalfa or soybeans. Throughout the year I mow my main entry trails, because I love my quiet approaches. I just love being out there imagining what might be there this year and I do it with a friend who also just loves to be out there. Now obviously hunting farmland versus the forest is an entirely different thing, but equally, we share the love of bow hunting.

Good luck this year, whether it be another spike or a P&Y entry. If it suits you, that should be good enough for anyone.

02-May-22
I try to get all my specifics down when scouting. If I find an area that looks good, I can spend an hour just inside a 50 yard circle, trying to figure it all out. Wind direction, morning or night stand, where the bedding and food sources are. I scout in my harness and carry three climbing sticks with me. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve looked up and found the perfect tree only to get out to hunt and it’s terrible. I climb all the trees that look good in that circle and get a 12-15 foot view. Once I decide on a tree or two for a spot, I come back in August to verify. It’s amazing how crap grows out of nowhere and turns a great stand location into a bird watching location. I only scout a few spots at a time because I can’t climb 30 trees in a day. I still have my favorite stand locations on public, but my ultimate goal is to hunt each stand only once, and move on to another. That’s the joy of not hanging cameras anymore, ya never know what’s going to pop out for a visit. I used to get so stressed out hanging cameras, and then always wanting to drive hours to check them. Now if I don’t see a deer, at least I was up a tree I nature with zero expectations.

02-May-22
I've never really scouted bring spring. This year my brother and I have really put on the miles. Its been a fun adventure and I've enjoyed our time together more than finding deer sign. We are hunting a new piece of public this fall and I can't wait to see how the results of our scouting efforts. Difficult to say if rubs, beds, and food sources remain similar from year to year but we have 4 solid spots picked out. Hopefully we're far enough in the bush away from others. Cell cams will be put out in Sept.

02-May-22
Cell cams will be put out in Sept...... well that pretty well says it all,,, check your cameras, via your phones,,,, geesh, no boots on the ground anymore, just check your phones,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I must live in another world,,,, In fact I know I do.....

02-May-22
Spring is my favorite time of year to be in the woods. I have the place to myself. Everyone is playing bumper boats below the dams... I scout for turkeys alot. I pay little attention to what deer are doing now. My only goal is to enjoy the solitude. Breathe it in, soak it up and appreciate the fact I'm blessed to have a place to escape this batshit crazy world... I have enough gray hair to realize the solitude I enjoy shouldn't be taken for granted. It's disappearing fast......

03-May-22
When spring scouting I am looking for sighns that a big deer has made it through the winter and to try to put the pieces together to produce a close encounter for the next fall. The term big deer for me is 3 years old in my area in Wisconsin. And 4+ Years old in my area in Nebraska and Iowa. I keep cameras all year long in corridors and check them once or twice a year. I’m scouting more for bomb proof exit and entrance trails, bedding areas with limited human intrusion and at all costs try to keep any deer from my downwind side at stand sights. I have about 25 stands in these states, and am happy with 1-2 encounters a season. My Nebraska deer last year I had logged 310 hours in stand in his area and only saw him once as a 2year old and killed him the next time I saw him as a four. I am more and more hunting terrain features than worrying about normal deer sighn in the woods. Works for me

03-May-22
retro, I agree. I'm wandering aimlessly in the spring. Just looking at everything and anything for all reasons and no reason at all.

03-May-22
I like to track when I hunt the UP....... however winter can be tough, but its the last snow of early April, where I like to be out, and learn the landscape more. I am not looking for deer sign, I am looking to learn the area.... That way, later in the year, and I am cutting tracks, I feel familiar, of where I am at, roads in the area, etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It does not green up, so much can be done in May, along with some trout fishing, and also its a great time to stump shoot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I think if more younger guys would concentrate on tracking deer, when they have snow in N Wis, they would learn more about deer, than waiting in a stand,,,,, Have way more fun, and what they find will surprise you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

03-May-22

RUGER1022's embedded Photo
I love April & part of May for scouting. No snow , no leaves on the trees or bushes , short brown grass . You can " Read " a woods or swamp so easy . How many Deer, ages , bedding areas , travel corridors, food choices .

I spent 4 hours today scouting a 200 ac area. Signs show Several mature Deer & younger . 4 different food sources . I moved several damaged trees around for a pair of ground blinds .

This time of year it's Iike reading a book . Before I retired I took a weeks vacation to scout in April. It's that important .

03-May-22
I’m hoping to get in the area I hunt, snow has dampened my efforts so far.

05-May-22

This fresh track shows that my bruiser made it through winter . I finished the west & south wind ground blinds . I will sneak in on a very rainy day in July or Aug. To check them & will not be back until opening weekend .

08-May-22
It’s definitely been a weird morning, left the Twin Cities at 5:30 am, heading to Northern Wisconsin, scouting shed hunting mission, 5 minutes into the trip a deer runs into the side of my truck, then an hour later I witnessed a bear hit and killed in front of the Pine City entrance right on a bridge. I don’t know if I should turn around and call it a day or not lol

08-May-22
Well, with any luck, we won't read: Man attacked and eaten by pack of wolves while shed hunting.....lol. good luck on the antler hunting.

08-May-22
I will put up a fight, got my side arm and bear spray lol

08-May-22
LOL!

08-May-22

MjF's embedded Photo
MjF's embedded Photo
Now you got me constantly looking behind me. Still some snow in the low spots otherwise 90% gone, deer are slowly returning, very few tracks at this time.

08-May-22
Saw a Fawn while hiking to a remote Trout pond . Caught 2 9 inch Brookie's.

Fish fry tonite .western style .

08-May-22
Last year we had some acorns, not a bumper crop and it was spotty... I was very surprised today to see a good amount still on the ground and untouched.

09-May-22

MJF , same issue , hiking into a Trout honey hole last nite & I detoured to check a favorite Oak ridge to shed hunt .

No sheds , very little sign & lots of Acorns still on the ground.

09-May-22

MJF , same issue , hiking into a Trout honey hole last nite & I detoured to check a favorite Oak ridge to shed hunt .

No sheds , very little sign & lots of Acorns still on the ground.

09-May-22
Sad thing to read ruger and MJF. I am starting to see the same things in jackson and Clark. As of 3 years ago this was rare to see. Now I am seeing it in places I would have never expected, Cedar swamps in transition to hardwoods. Prime habitat for whitetails essentially vacated. Falls mast rotting unscathed

• Sitka Gear