BigEight 17-May-22
Live2Hunt 17-May-22
Pete-pec 17-May-22
dupontcheesepy12 02-Jun-22
10-May-22
....the landowner texts you, to ask what seasons you have for turkey. When you call him back telling him you have 5th and 6th season, thinking someone else is asking for 4th season, and you want to let them know there's four blinds they can hunt, and the reply is this: I think I'd prefer to tell him you have the 4th season.

I've always pondered what many landowners are thinking, and this is sort of the encapsulated answer. They'd rather not be bothered, and they don't want to say no, but if they can say these words: I already have a guy hunting, it takes the burden off of them. It's the first time I've had this landowner (and friend) do this. Normally during turkey season, it's 6 seasons, and who fills them first. This suggests he's comfortable knowing who he has hunting, and would assume it's limited. I've always had exclusive rights for bow hunting, but this is new?

Do any of you that have land and share, or have private land to hunt have any input on this topic. Honestly, I've never felt more privileged, but it's scary knowing that his cousin (blood cousin), is being told no, while I'm being told yes. Of course I respect his every wish, and treat his property with the upmost respect, but is it bigger than that? Am I just the guy that makes it easy for him to say no, or am I the guy he wishes to say yes to?

10-May-22
My neighbor came over to my house and told me his 160 acres was mine for the turkey season. He told me no one else is allowed. How incredible is that? I believe it may be for the same reasons you stated Pete.

11-May-22
Not saying theres anything wrong with it but I don't get excited about stories like this. Always love hearing about the people who let everyone hunt their land.

11-May-22
The only downside to that retro, is that you and I just as easily could have been the guy they said no to. Count your blessings, but as naturlives points out, it's sort of sad news. I'm not sure if I want "everyone" hunting the private land, because that simply turns into what public land can be like. Theft, rude behavior, claiming spots, litter etc. I've been through that on two different properties in the past, and ironically, they turned into exclusivity for me, because of my respect and thanks I gave as a good steward of their land. Let's face it, there's less and less land available to hunt. More places are either posted or you're told no. The "value" of property goes well and above the price they paid and the taxes they pay. Hunting is a value landowners and farmers never fully understood a few years back. I'd imagine the knocks on the doors and the prices people offer to lease has widened them up a bit? Anyways, it was an interesting conversation, and I was on the lucky end of the draw I suppose?

11-May-22
Yeah me too Nature

Some just can’t get away from the easy button, it’s how they are wired.

All to shoot the elusive field carp

11-May-22
Pete, He's had some experiences with the "public". I certainly appreciate his generosity to me and don't take the privilege lightly, but I also don't apologize for it. I've never asked him permission in 30 years. I earned his trust. He also earned mine. The privilege goes both ways. As a landowner for many years, I have little respect for the public anymore. Without going into a big rant....if the public wants to gain access to private property, a good first step would be to quit throwing your paint cans, couches, chairs, bed frames, etc... on our properties. I'm blessed with a beautiful creek running my property. I'd have a brighter attitude if the public would also quit throwing TV's in the creek. It would also be nice to be able to take my dog for a swim without it resulting in a trip to the vet for stitches because some lovely smashed a bunch of glass and threw it off the bridge. I could go on, but you get the picture. I realize it's not all people but the public made there bed....

11-May-22
I worked hard and bought my own land, putting myself in control. Problem solved, no more begging for poor me.

11-May-22

Pete-pec's embedded Photo
Pete-pec's embedded Photo
Retro, I can relate to everything you've said. I'm fortunate enough to have an understanding workplace that doesn't mind me bringing in, and dumping shit I picked up along the road. Filthy bastards should be beaten for the stuff they just dump along the side of the road. Here's an example of a dirtbag's work. Thrown right in the ditch on the neighboring property of where I hunt. It's ridiculous the amount of crap people feel okay about dumping....out of sight, out of mind.

11-May-22
There seems to be hidden sentiment among many that if one doesn't own land they haven't "worked hard" enough. As far as keeping it closed off , the paint can throwers etc., if they "hunt" at all for the most part aren't going to ask .

I have a dealt with the garbage/ trash issue myself. It's a commentary on the whole,"the masses can be asses"line sure seems to validate that.

11-May-22
The sentiment ( and reality) is, if you rely on other property tax paying landowners to hunt private lands, you may increasingly meet resistance. I no longer have to beg for a handout.

11-May-22
I've been able to purchase some land recently but I still get antsy and ask permission to hunt other areas. Actually, the last request was to use a field to get to a public land section with difficult access. That landowner was "paid off" with some venison summer sausage and snack sticks. My neighbor also let me know I could hunt his 80 this spring. I never made it out to that property but the gesture was appreciated and probably a result of me trying to be a good neighbor.

11-May-22
Being a good neighbor always can help.

11-May-22
Steve, I agree that hunters aren't solely responsible. I can't speak for others experiences but I can tell you my neighbor use to allow "hunters" on his property, even during gun season which he's also a gun hunter... It wasn't one bad experience that led to his attitude change. Trust me... Lots of license buyers out there who are dipshits with no respect... Of course they stand out over the good guys... Like I said, I've never asked permission to hunt his property in 30 years. I had nothing to do with him shutting it down, nor was it my wish... I was offered access because of respect earned over a long period of time. If the masses don't learn respect and ethics again, expect access to keep getting harder. I have no idea what the answer is. For the record, I've given access to men, women and there kids to hunt. But I have zero tolerance for assholes.....I don't apologize for that.....

11-May-22
I had to ask a guy to hunt my place this year...of course it came with my ground rules. You shoot any and all coyotes you see, I don't care if you have a strutting Tom within range you shoot the coyotes first!! Haha

11-May-22
Randy, I don't care what I'm hunting. If a coyote walks by, it IS coyote season. And no, I'm not asking to hunt your place lol. It is what we all should do.

12-May-22
Good man Pete.... we need more attitudes like yours!

17-May-22
I was lucky enough to access a new property this weekend and even luckier to bag a good tom. My prospects aren't as great for deer hunting (private land) but I enjoy turkey hunting and just like Pete, I feel I have it pretty good.

My cousin was turkey hunting a few weeks ago and a yote came upon his set up and he passed!!! I couldn't believe it. I've yet to access private land where a landowner tells me not to shoot coyotes.

17-May-22
When you go turkey hunting in the morning and fish in the afternoon from the same place, cabin. BTW, turkeys are A-holes and don't play fair!!!!!

17-May-22
Lol x 2! ^^^

02-Jun-22

dupontcheesepy12's embedded Photo
205lb. Bluefin
205lb. Bluefin
You can limit o. Yellowtail, cTch a 205 lb. Bluefin, 3 days later catch slob brookies@9000 feet.

02-Jun-22

205lb. Bluefin
205lb. Bluefin
You can limit o. Yellowtail, cTch a 205 lb. Bluefin, 3 days later catch slob brookies@9000 feet.

02-Jun-22

Yt, great sushi.

02-Jun-22
Flying to Europe for 3 weeks, home for 10 days, then Ontario fishing, then it's 3 western bow tags, then ducks,ect. Sweet.

• Sitka Gear