Stumpshooter 19-May-22
Live2Hunt 19-May-22
MjF 19-May-22
Live2Hunt 19-May-22
Stumpshooter 20-May-22
Live2Hunt 20-May-22
Stumpshooter 20-May-22
13-May-22
I've one ever shot one release. It's a TruFire wrist release that has an index figger trigger and is a "clamp" style. The trigger on the release is awful, just awful. It has well over an inch of travel and no "peak", just a constant very light pull for over an inch and eventually it releases.

I was going over my notes from this past season. I clipped a deer in the brisket on what should of been an easy shot at a hair over 20 yards. Afterwards I recreated that shot many, many times to see what went wrong. Turns out that when I was holding the bow up long enough such that my bow arm was getting very tired and had trouble keeping it steady, I would "pull" the shot during the long trigger pull and my arrow would fly way left.

Last week I ponied up a lot of money ($200) for a Carter Like Mike2 release after a rep on the phone assured me it had virtually no trigger travel. I'm sure there are cheaper options that work just as well, but my local shop did not have much stock, so I had to order online. One little equiptment change and my groups have tightened up instantly. On my third shot with the release, I split an arrow right down the middle. With the other release I would shoot baseball sized groups with the rare flyer that would barely hit the target.

Probably obvious to most, but this was a big a-ha moment for me. With no trigger travel to worry about, there is just a lot less that can go "wrong" during the shot with a compound. Maybe there is another dummy like me out there who can benefit from this

14-May-22

Gusto's Link
I use the B3 Hawk with the flex connector and really like it.

14-May-22
I use a spot hogg wise guy rigid, it has adjustable trigger weight which I have as heavy as I can and it's still light with no trigger travel. It is a open hook style

14-May-22
Congrats on taking the effort to make yourself shoot better.

14-May-22
Hard to beat Spot Hogg release when it comes to a wrist style.

14-May-22
Vilas, glad you found something that works,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, all of your posts, show your a class act........................

16-May-22
Carter 2shot

16-May-22
Spot hog or Carter .

16-May-22
Vilas - Glad to hear you've found a piece of tackle that seems to fit the bill for you and is, I believe, better than what you previously used. Hope this works out for you. I have been using an index finger/wrist strap type release since I switched from fingers to release in 1999. It has worked well and, overall, I'm satisfied with my results. I'm not the greatest shot but I am able to kill deer at a reasonable range with some degree of regularity. In my book, that means it works for me while afield and that's what counts. A couple more things to say...I never wear a glove on my release hand while on stand. The glove might affect the way to wrist strap fits and the trigger "feel" while attempting to shoot. I deal with the cold by keeping my hand in my pocket with a hand warmer. Lastly, and I am surprised no one has mentioned this up to this point,...using an index finger/wrist strap type release may lead you down the road to the dreaded "Target Panic" malady. This is something many have to fight and deal with all the time, I do and my shooting suffers because of it. Still though, in my opinion, the benefits of this style release out weight the disadvantages. Good luck with the new release and in the woods this fall.

17-May-22
I wouldn’t think that anyone here would use a release. , “ and a trigger” good grief.. lmao

Sounds like an easy way out, a bit more dedication and persistence and you wouldn’t need one.

17-May-22
At least he's using a bow stumpy. Some can shoot a bow, others have to use a gun. The trigger he is talking about does not come with a stock, butt, scope and is cocked and loaded for the shot.

17-May-22
L2H - Thanks. Yes, like you and I, there are those of us here who are bowhunters and do shoot a bow,...I would hope the majority of this forum,...perhaps, perhaps not,...no one knows for certain. As to the comment above,...it's not worth much, all I'll say is...

17-May-22
Che k your Tru fire manyal as it has an adjustment from a long pull to a crisp release. It is likely not dwfective but if nothing else aend it to Tru fire and have them adjust it if a bow shop won't. Great customer service from True fire.

17-May-22
When I went to a compound, I went to a release. I tried several, and went with the Tru Fire. I was able to adjust the tension, and turn it, so it was the correct distance for my trigger finger..... Control the trigger and you control the bow....................... I have had literally thousands of hours of trigger time, on rifles. You can not control a rifle, without trigger control.... That was a big difference,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Never got target panic etc, have a crisp release, and do not know the arrow is on its way,,,,,, Glad you found something that works

Thru the years, I heard so many stories of missed deer with rifles, or bad shots. they blame the gun, the scope, the weather, etc. Not once do they understand, that what really caused the miss, was the control of the trigger which most do not spend much time on

I was fortunate to be trained by some excellent rifle instructors, including the priveledge of being selected, in law enforcement, to be trained by Seal Team 4, who in the end, Janet Reno killed the program..... these guys were the best I had ever seen, and in the end, its all about trigger control, that was their gospel,,,,,,

So it is with compound bows, the best shooters control the trigger release.

18-May-22
I thought real archers don’t use triggers.

Welcome to Gunsight

18-May-22
Stumpy, why ask about something you are not a part of? You are not an Archer and your comments prove that?

18-May-22
Use all 3

Trad, training wheelie, and modern horizontal

18-May-22
Lol! Little troll cannot afford to leave mommies basement, much less own any equipment.

18-May-22
Spot hog wise guy has made a huge difference in my shooting. Super crisp on the release- no travel

18-May-22
Cappy

Make sure you get permission to speak next time.

18-May-22
And there I was, in the bigwoods of Northern Wisconsin. It was day 3 and im set back up in the same spot where I saw two 150 inch ten pointers together the last two nights in a row. Just like clock work and impeccable skills on my end. Those same two 150 inchers come through right before dark. Light is fading and im losing sight of them. I think to myself, l can come back tomorrow and get them but awe, what the hell. It's now or never right now. So, I lift up my trustee ten point crossbow, look through my scope, adjust my lights on my scope, and pull the trigger. At the crack of my limbs, BANG!! My bolt is flying so fast but yet feels so slow as my target is 87 yards away. (You can't kill what you don't shoot at) The bolt is almost there I lean my body in anticipation and CRACK! My bolt hits somewhere and they take off. I take up the blood trail immediately because I'm just awesome and the best hunter in Wisconsin probably. But unfortunately. I followed blood for about 700 yards until it ran dry. No big deal though, I will just find him later on. Maybe I'll go out there and kill him tomorrow, if I feel like it. Anyways, enough rambling, my bladder is full, and I have to go piss excellence. You guys suck! Sincerely, AlwaysRight, stumpshooter, and the vast number of other names I use here.

18-May-22
Yes, stumphumper is quite the guy!

18-May-22
"Walls" full of mounts...

19-May-22
For a few I’ll show you the ropes

19-May-22
I'm pretty sure you won't have any takers but good luck. Your like the last man on the bench knowing you won't get any playtime so you continue to play rock paper scissors all by yourself.

19-May-22
LOL, ya stumpy, your ropes: Put corn pile here, put blind with tripod here about 100 yards from corn. Deer comes in, don't move, oh wait you have a gun, don't have to move. Put crosshairs on the deer, pull trigger. You won't know where you hit it, so if there's good blood you hit it somewhere good. If no blood found your in the wrong spot or the hit not good or a miss, either one of those happen your good to go for another one. If you get one make sure you tell everyone you shot it in the bowhunting or archery season, it will make you feel better about not using a bow during that time. There you go Stumpy, your playbook.

19-May-22
Never have stooped as low as most here that tote a rifle during the any weapon season and claim they are pure as the driven snow archers lol

19-May-22
You carry a GUN during the "archery" season and a GUN during the rifle season. I carry a BOW during the archery season and During the GUN season I carry a rifle. You see the difference between us? Get off the "bet you carry a bow during the gun season soapbox" IT'S A GUN SEASON!!! GET IT!!!!

19-May-22
I do get it, it is not gun season, it is any weapon season and a true archer wouldn’t be caught dead with a firearm in their hand.

Too easy

19-May-22
I also bet when all seasons become any weapon/ one tag, some of the so called archers will be the first ones in the field toting a rifle in Oct.

There is still plenty of time to become efficient with traditional equipment before September, throw away that crutch Shellie bow and start practicing

19-May-22
lol, Stumpy, I shoot a Wes Wallace Partner, Bear Super K, Wing Gull and a OMP mountain hunter. This year is the Wallace, what do you think those are?

19-May-22
Unbelievable Narcissistic behavior you have. I give you credit though, you keep trying but then again that’s what’s being a narcissist is all about, Alwaysright and never wrong.

19-May-22
Vilas, I have to apologize for the direction of this thread. You had a question and someone turned it into this crap show.

20-May-22
Live

I was unaware those companies made firearms

20-May-22
Hey, you do know something, your unaware!!!

20-May-22
Thought maybe you just forgot what kind of firearm you tote during the any weapon season when you could carry a bow.

• Sitka Gear