MjF 20-May-22
Stumpshooter 22-May-22
MjF 22-May-22
Jaybee 23-May-22
MjF 23-May-22
sagittarius 23-May-22
skookumjt 25-May-22
19-May-22
Does anyone know why Wisconsin has no spring bear season? I would think that there would be more interest in hunting bears in the spring rather than the fall when the deer archery season is near. I know as a land owner I would probably allow others to hunt bears in the spring. No way I would allow that to happen right before archery season begins. The main reason I hear is because of the meat is not as good. Thoughts?

19-May-22
I would rather keep it the way it is, chasing turkeys, fishing, and scouting in the Spring fill my calendar. I think there has always been a concern about cubs "this being a hound state", plus I feel the deer (what deer we have left) coming out of winter need a break from human intrusion, especially in the northern areas. I believe the state has a great bear hunting program, why screw it up for a handful of tags.

19-May-22
I've heard the same thing about their meat being slightly toxic in the spring? I'd assume there is less fight from the other side, knowing bears are eaten.

19-May-22
I believe in Wisconsin it wouldn’t matter other than being lien in the spring, it’s all in what they eat and in Wisconsin bears eat very good meaning, grains, sweets, acorns, mushrooms, hazelnuts, berries etc. These bears as far as what they eat are not like bears in Canada

19-May-22
I've always thought that a resident only very limited or once in a life time season would be amazing.

19-May-22
I use to bear hunt every spring in SW Colorado, it was great, and you could bait. The bears tasted just fine............ It was a trip I look forward too....... I would have no objection to a spring season here, but never going to happen..... Too much infighting in this state, between all groups, and the DNR.....................................

19-May-22
I'd keep it just the way it is. Would hounds be able to train and hunt the early season, if so I'd see nothing but problems and complaints from turkey hunters, fisherman and hikers. There may be some orphaned cubs from hunters that just don't know what to look for if a sow comes in alone. This is why Canada shut down their spring hunt which is has now been reinstated. There would be some tremendous boars taken every year if the hunt was in the rut though. There are a few other states and Canada where you can spring hunt.

20-May-22
Perfect solution would be, give the bait hunters the spring, and hounds in the fall.

20-May-22
Spring primitive weapons season, 25 tags per county.

20-May-22
Nope, wrong again, do not need another hunting season

20-May-22
MJF - +1

20-May-22
A spring bear season bait only (without dogs) would take away fall harvest quota from hound hunters .... and that would not be tolerated.

20-May-22
Too bad, hound hunters don’t make the rules.

20-May-22
Either do bait sitters, but we work together.... something you have an awful time doing.

20-May-22
No hound hunters like to use baits to start dogs

Easy way

20-May-22
So… what’s your point, legal and has been done for years. Easy way, hard way, it doesn’t matter, all part of the hunt. Go hounds!

20-May-22
MJF spot on, the last time I checked, even the bear hunting organization in WI does not desire a spring season.

HF43

20-May-22
Glad I could help

20-May-22
lol, Only in your narcissistic mind did you help.

22-May-22
The greatest president this country ever had was a narcissist, they are very successful in life.

22-May-22
Lol there also the best lairs

23-May-22
I have a question for the hound hunters. In the spring do you think that a sow would run without her cubs (they couldn't keep up) or would she fight the dogs? I am just wondering if a spring hunt were to ever occur would hounds work? I am also not sure why someone would not want another opportunity to hunt?

23-May-22
I’m not a hound hunter but yes most likely sows will bail and leave their Cubs behind, retrieve them later, and some older mature sows might defend, to what point is anyone's guess....

23-May-22
Spring hides make great rugs, no rub marks.

25-May-22
The reason is that currently state statute doesn't allow for it., but that could always be changed The idea has been kicked around over the last couple decades and a consensus has never been achieved. Probably the most reasonable option would be to have a limited spring hunt that wouldn't allow the use of dogs and take that quota out of the overall quota that would be left for the fall hunts. If hunters declared their preference prior to the drawing, it wouldn't impact the quota for hounds or have any negative impacts on anyone. It would add some logistical effort and cost on the part of the Dept., but probably not a significant amount.

Bear hunting has ten times the interest now that it had 30 years ago so it's not like we need to increase interest in bear hunting but it might improve opportunity overall and reduce pressure in the fall.

To answer the question about a sow with cubs and dogs. Yes, the sow would just leave the cubs and come back to them later.

• Sitka Gear