RutnStrut 06-Jun-22
Jrsoutdoors 06-Jun-22
skookumjt 07-Jun-22
Trickle rut 07-Jun-22
Trickle rut 07-Jun-22
Trickle rut 09-Jun-22
CaptMike 09-Jun-22
29-May-22
again I'm asking for fellow bowsiters help, after our logging is complete we're looking to buy conifers (hopefully black spruce) to plant for future bedding areas as well as road front screening - any suggestions on where we might find them in bulk quantities near either eau claire or superior?

29-May-22
Contact the county Forster at your county seat. He will set you up

29-May-22
Might try online at the WI Forestry website. The state raises trees that can be ordered in the fall for spring pickup. Start early as some species get bought out.

29-May-22
The good thing about using the county Forester is he (she) will walk the site and do several soil tests over the property. Then he will give you a map of the property showing which species of tree will do best in each area of the in property. He is will do a planting guide and help you order the seedlings thru the State nursery. If needed he can set up use of a tree planter for you reserved on certain planting dates. You will of course have to furnish your own tractor to pull the planter. I doubt if you could get planted this fall (maybe) but for sure in the spring by using the Forester

06-Jun-22
As mentioned above, having a DNR forester come out and assess your property for recommendations and getting trees through the DNR nursery is by far the best option. Black spruce wouldn't really be a good choice for bedding. They are very slow growing and don't have much for cover/structure once they get past the seedling stage.

06-Jun-22
There is no DNR Forester except for the ones working state owned forsets. Each county has their own Forester as do many larger cities. Go thru your county government

06-Jun-22
County foresters are pretty good, but. They more than likely don't/won't have the same ideas for the land as you. I am in day 1 of having our land logged/thinned. I have worked with a county forester and a private forester every step of the way so far. Both have been outstanding to work with. But the private forester I hired is really good at helping me with things I don't know or understand. He also is helping me put a plan together for the land that leans more toward habitat than timber. Not that you can't have both.

06-Jun-22
I worked with my county Forestor and it was a great experience. They assisted with writing up a plan gif a state grant along with other helpful information to help control invasives and building protective fencing for large areas to protect young trees from the deer. Black spruce would be the last conifer to plant if you are looking for bedding and screening. White spruce and Norway spruce are much better options mixed in with inside rows or scattered plantings of white or red pine. If in very wet areas fence off some areas for bushes red maple and swamp white oak with tamarack in damp areas

07-Jun-22
County foresters typically won't work with private landowners. There are DNR private land foresters for every county whose sole job is to work with private landowners.

07-Jun-22
I planted 15 acres I bought of a former cornfield. It was overgrown with 6-7 ft. Box Elder, Thistles, Grass and some small Red Cedar. That June the County Forester came and walked it. He put a plan in place for how I should spray it and just plain hard work including spraying some by hand. Then that fall after everything except some grasses we're dead and had it all Bush Hogged to 6" off the ground. That was site prep. He came to view it and planting that spring was on. With the soil tests he had a planting guide and ordered the seedlings. I didn't think there would be much difference on a gently rolling 15 acres former Cornfield but there was even with Limestone bedrock in some places only 12-15 inches down. I planted the following by abundance first to last by the map. White Pine. Green Ash. White Spruce. Red Oak. Northern Crab apple. I believe the total stem count was 3200-3500. I worked strictly with the County Forester ( county extension) he handled everything including planter time. And it was very affordable next to nothing out of pocket except the chemical and applying it and Bush Hog costs. The Forester from my County was fantastic. Very professional, worked hard to design the planting and took care of all the ordering etc. That would be my first call again.

07-Jun-22
PS. County Foresters are paid to work with private landowners. That's what some of the land tax you pay for is going. It's a big part of their job. That they don't work with private owners is totally false.

09-Jun-22
I will add that going thru my county forester and the state for seedlings thru him I had to agree that no harvest would be done for 10 years. I think the state for that cheap program wants people not to plant and harvest christmas trees that's not the purpose

09-Jun-22
Thanks Trickle, good info!

• Sitka Gear