skookumjt 07-Jun-22
MjF 07-Jun-22
Gileguy 07-Jun-22
Milwroad 07-Jun-22
MjF 07-Jun-22
04-Jun-22

Beerbobber31's embedded Photo
Beerbobber31's embedded Photo
My wife and 13 year old son left to shopping this morning. I was shocked when they came back with a 4-wheeler on my dad’s trailer. I thought it was maybe a early Father’s Day present, but my son quickly informed me it was his. I told him if you want one, take the safety class, and save up for half the cost. Well he did it, or got close probably why they/wife kept it a secret. I’ve never owned one, so looking for some advice. Mainly, what to store in front? I was thinking small tool set, extra spark plug, small booster/tire inflator? We can drive Atvs in our village which includes the nearby lake/river. Any advice??

04-Jun-22
It is now unlawful for passengers to ride on an ATV/UTV unless it was designed and manufactured for a passenger. In other words you cannot have a passenger on your atv, it’s a screwed up law.

04-Jun-22
I have a 2000 Honda I bought new,,,,, and a 2007 Polaris 700 with winch for the wife, a 2 up............... I always carry a tow rope, on my eq list..... Nice atv

04-Jun-22
Put a plow on the front and have him push snow in the winter. I have a Polaris 700, and find it almost useless besides the plowing lol. I'm not a trail rider though. Have fun!

04-Jun-22
If you buy an attachment such as a two up it is not considered factory thus it is considered illegal for a passenger

04-Jun-22
The plow, and attachment seat are in photo. MjF.. our village ordinances are different. Most locals travel in their side-by-sides, golf carts, Atvs, etc.. on our roads. A

04-Jun-22
You won't need an extra spark plug, thankfully they've come a long way since the snow machines of 1970. They also come with a tool kit in the trunk to handle most basic needs while out on the trail.

04-Jun-22
I guess if your just going to drive in the village that’s fine but don’t know if ordinances trump State laws. You asked for advice, most people don’t know that the passenger law was changed back in 2020.

04-Jun-22
We are isolated on a way.. Almost like a neighborhood campground. Bonfires everywhere, all the neighbors kids are playing kick the can. My wife whose normally the “adult “ is leading them on a teepeeing party

05-Jun-22
You can drive anything where I live. But the road surface will wear down off road tires . My Honda is a work horse, trapping, and hunting, I hate to tell you where its been, light so its great in wet areas. Been west with it many times. Dont forget side mirrors for your machine, they are nice to have in any traffic...................... Trail riding is alot of fun for your son, the state has some great trails.........

05-Jun-22
Tow strap and tire plugs and a way to inflate the tire. If you have a plow you already have a winch. Mine is a workhorse plowing snow and doing food plot work. DOT rated AT tires. The stock tires won’t last long road riding.

05-Jun-22

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
I used mine mainly for plowing, hauling wood and baiting bears and getting deer and bears out. I went to a heavier ply tire so wear was very minimal also if tire went flat I never noticed. Great advice from DT.

05-Jun-22
Info on your seat being illegal right now is spot on. You can't even legally use it to ride double ice fishing. My neighbor is a warden and has educated our neighborhood on atv/utv rules much to our surprise!!

05-Jun-22
The new rules,,,, all BS,,,, I can understand trail riding, but come on, the ice fishing thing,,, what an over reach.................... We are becoming a Mommy state,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

05-Jun-22
GH - I agree with you. If you're eighteen years of age and under need to wear helmets unless you're going hunting or fishing. This applies to 12 years old and up.

06-Jun-22
The new rule on passengers came from the Governor. I authored a resolution to allow passengers for outdoor recreational use (hunting, fishing, trapping, etc.) and I hear there are legislators that are wanting it changed but it will take people speaking out to get anything changed.

FYI-state law trumps any other local rules. If it's illegal in WI, it's illegal everywhere.

06-Jun-22
Skookumjt.... Very curious as to why after all these years it was changed?

06-Jun-22
I don't think many people follow the new law or care. Watched doubles, triples out on the ice while fishing. The locals in the neighborhood now have multiple riders. Nothing has changed .

06-Jun-22
I don't think many people follow the new law or care. Watched doubles, triples out on the ice while fishing. The locals in the neighborhood now have multiple riders. Nothing has changed .

07-Jun-22
That you know of

07-Jun-22
They were ticketing heavy where I used to live.

07-Jun-22
The DNR stance was to educate last year, this year they are ticketing for the violation.

The new rule came about because the Governor had a family friend that was in an accident on an ATV.

People keep telling me I am wrong and that "anything that will improve safety is worth the inconvenience". When I bring up the fact that if that were true we wouldn't allow atv's on pavement, should have a zero tolerance for alcohol and atv use, woudn't have machines capable of the speeds they are, would require helmet use from every rider, would require maintenance inspections, etc. they all go silent.

Me taking my stepson out to check trail cameras or go ice fishing is so far down on the list of likely accidents it's not even worth debating.

07-Jun-22
So the Governor made it a personal issue, geeeez nice.

07-Jun-22
Dumb rule that hopefully will be changed, sure screws up how we can enjoy wheeling with our grandkids. Did you know that the driver of a utv doesn't have to wear a seat belt but the passenger does....at least last summer that is how it was.

07-Jun-22
Skook, are there any lead legislators we should contact?

07-Jun-22
That’s why I mentioned it on here, I will not even consider buying one only because of that silly law

• Sitka Gear