EmbryOklahoma 02-Nov-23
SoDakSooner 03-Nov-23
Quailhunter 03-Nov-23
Canepole 03-Nov-23
Quailhunter 03-Nov-23
Quailhunter 03-Nov-23
Canepole 04-Nov-23
15-Jun-22
After many attempts, I drew one of the coveted Bull tags. I’ll be hunting for a bull elk at the Wichita mountains around 12/6. My wife drew a cow tag too. Just not sure what weekend.

For the record, I had 25 points and my wife had 15. Hard to believe I’ll have a gun in my hand again. How do those work?

Edit: we also drew turkey tags at Cross Timbers WMA next spring. My wife drew 11/29 cow elk tag. Crazy!

15-Jun-22
Way to go Rick!

15-Jun-22
That's great Rick. Sounds like an extra freezer might be in y'alls future.

I got lucky and drew Hominy Oct 21-23. It'll be my 4th time there.

15-Jun-22
Congrats to you and your wife Rick. Be sure and get a good buddy with a strong back!

15-Jun-22
Zero for me.

Wife pulled a elk tag.

15-Jun-22
Dang Rick better grab a Powerball ticket on the way home. My nephew drew the Washita nwr doe hunt and my partner drew Beaver river wma rifle hunt. Nothing for me. Congratulations to all who drew!

15-Jun-22
Congrats Rick!!

15-Jun-22
Wow, Awesome! Two elks tags! What are the odds of that? Congrats Rick

15-Jun-22
I’ve struck out since 2016…. I’m expecting lots of pics! Rick….everyone follows your November bow hunts. Our expectations are high. Just throwing that out there now so you can prepare!

16-Jun-22

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
Odds were pretty low for the bull tag for sure. Of course this was last years odds. Odds for cows are much better. Still, the likelihood of both of us drawing were out there.

16-Jun-22
I'm a little jealous Rick. I've got 27 points and still missed out (Not getting any younger).

I am going back to MCAAP in November on my doe kill last year so it ain't all bad. Good luck on a big bull.

17-Jun-22
Rick, at least next year you won't have to be cussing the screen for another 'unsuccessful' email! I guess you and Lana are now out of the elk controlled hunts. I wanted to put in for cow elk but honestly want an Oklahoma bull to put next to my CO bull. Same for my wife. Can't wait to see your adventure online!

17-Jun-22
Thanks, Russ! I’ll gladly bow out with my opportunity at an Oklahoma bull. It’s pretty darn amazing. Then, Lana’s cow tag is just icing on the cake. I’m very grateful and I’m sure we’ll share plenty of our bounty with our friends and family. That’s really my ultimate goal with this. The antlers will be a bonus.

20-Jun-22
Rick, y'all process your own deer/elk? Been almost 3 years since my last elk but it made some outstanding summer sausage, jerky and snack sticks!

Cool that you'll be able to hunt for Lana's cow then back in another week for your bull.

I had to start looking and ruining my afternoon! https://www.wideopenspaces.com/14-year-old-harvests-new-oklahoma-record-elk/ 377 3/4" rifle typical https://www.gameandfishmag.com/editorial/Oklahoma-bowhunter-sets-nontypical-elk-state-record/358764 344 7/8" archery non typical

21-Jun-22
We don’t process our own. I have a fella down near where we hunt that does all of my deer. Pigs, I can do them for the meat I get from them. Elk, that’s another beast. But, I’ll likely process the back strap myself. We will likely have a processor near us do the elk. Might just take the quarters to my deer processor, we will see. I believe deer gun season runs during that time frame as well, so that will be a factor also. I just hate taking deer when the masses take theirs in... because sometimes I wonder if we are getting parts of other peoples deer.

18-Aug-22
Late to the party but congrats! Sitting on 24 for elk and we have been skunked out of McAlester for like 7 years after drawing 6 of 8 in a row. Will be in CO chasing them in less than a month!

21-Oct-22
What part of the state I'm up in ne corner have all the maps if your close enough you would like to look them over to get an idea got good places me and friends have had good luck in yrs past text me at 918)530-2112 I don't get on here to much

07-Dec-22

Was able to take this bull at 300 yards and down in seconds. My wife was not successful on her cow hunt. A lot of the units are bull heavy and she was in one. In fact, none of the 7 cow hunters in her area were successful.

I’ve gained a lot of intel on this place and can help anyone in the future. Just let me know if I can help.

With rains moving in the second day, I knew it would squelch opportunities, so I chose to shoot the first decent branch antlered bull I saw. Pack out wasn’t bad at 1/2 mile in too. Two trips and we were done. Lots of elk meat to get us through to next year.

Glad I was able to get drawn on this hunt and I’m extremely grateful to the state for putting on this hunt. Also, success rates are way down. I heard this first hand from the Fish and wildlife employees and the wardens down there.

Great experience, keep putting in if you haven’t drawn. ;)

07-Dec-22
That's great Rick congratulations on your bull! My father in law had the cow tag a few years ago had a shot at 3 bulls before he got his cow. One elks still a lot of great meat.

08-Dec-22
Congratulations Rick! I'll be getting with you for some of that "intel" next year when I draw that tag :) I'll have 28 entries so it should happen...right?

08-Dec-22
Congrats again Rick! That bull looks in pretty good shape - curious to see how much meat you get back from the butcher. Did he have much fat on him yet?

FYI - orange is NOT your color although the flatbrim is cool! :)

08-Dec-22
Good job Rick!!

08-Dec-22

Cord 's embedded Photo
Cord 's embedded Photo
I waited 28 years to draw my Oklahoma elk tag...and hunted a total of 54 minutes. Like Rick, I hadn't picked up a rifle in a long time, almost 20 years. I actually had to borrow a 7 Mag from a good friend of mine.

I drew area I and saw several bulls and a few cows before taking the 283 yard shot on my bull. I drew the week before Rick's hunt and was told that antler quality was down a little from years past. Great experience and a fun hunt. The guys and gals that help with the hunt, and the area leaders that drive the hunters in and out of the field were super helpful and do a great job. My packing helper got hung up at the airport so the first 4 trips out were on my own! It is rough country in most places.

I also gained quite a bit of knowledge about the area that I drew so please don't hesitate to pm me and we will talk. DO NOT FAIL TO PUT IN FOR THIS HUNT! It will be the cheapest elk hunt you will ever go on and you will enjoy it!

08-Dec-22
Congratulations on a beautiful bull Cord!

08-Dec-22
Well done Rick you’ll be eatin good for a while.

08-Dec-22
I got to meet Cord down there when my wife was hunting, and I’m sure glad I did. I can tell you now, we will be life long friends. Congratulations, Cord, I’m proud of you man!

08-Dec-22
Thanks buddy, and like everyone else on the Oklahoma forum...we knew you'd get it done!

08-Dec-22
Way to go guys!

08-Dec-22
Congrats, Rick and Cord! Now, I kinda wish that I would have kept up with putting in for the elk draws after I moved back to Iowa. (I’ve got my lifetime license) I’d probably have 25-30 points by now! Bummer that Lana didn’t get an opportunity at a cow.

08-Dec-22
Congrats to Rick and Cord!!

09-Dec-22
Congrats guys! I’m at 26 or 27 points and counting.

09-Dec-22
Nice job Fellas! Maybe someday!

09-Dec-22
Rick and/or Cord, couple of questions if you don't mind. On the ODWC screen shot posted by Rick, do you know if the number of applicants includes everyone's number of chances or just number of individuals? Ex: hunt code 1020 shows 10,095 applicants. But, if every applicant has 10 points, are you really drawing again 100,950?

Does the ODWC web page explain the difference in the hunt codes you guys drew vs the 'walk in only' ones which have a slightly better odds? Is the walk in only going to be a much more strenuous hunt or more so just a harder pack out?

Thanks!!

09-Dec-22
Russ… as far as the codes go, it does list walk-in vs controlled hunt. It is my understanding that the walk in hunts only hunt the special use areas which is walk in from the gates, north of the highway that runs east/west. It’s a LONG haul to get into the good hunting from there. Most of the good bull units were in the northern tiers. If you killed an animal on the walk-in hunts, you would likely be doing a lot of work to get into them and get them out.

On the controlled hunts, they drive you into the areas that you are assigned. Then you hunt from there. Where I was dropped off it was an easy enough hike to get into the elk. The controlled hunt also opens up areas south of the highway that is “public use” area. They shut them off and put up signs at entry points. They also held more cow elk, in my opinion. Most cow hunters in the northern tier units were coming back saying they only saw bulls.

I’m not sure how the numbers work as far as odds go. I do know this, your odds are increasing every year at a better clip, because many folks that had/have multiple points, have opted for a cow tag or the walk in hunts.

Cord and myself talked last night and agreed the average age was around 60. Many were much older, in their 70’s. I had 3 guys in my group of 10 that were over 65 and possibly in their 70’s. Personally, I’d keep putting in for a bull tag and the “controlled hunt” until my health or mobility was decreased. Glad I wasn’t in my 60’s or 70’s when I drew. That being said, we did see multiple folks in their 70’s getting it done.

I’ll be curious to what the total numbers of bull/cows were when the results come out. The cow hunters were having a tough time if they weren’t mobile.

09-Dec-22
Russ,

Rick pretty much covered it all. I had a buddy that drew the first walk-in hunt this year and hunted the same area that I ended up hunting. He was having to walk close to 4 miles just to get to the area that he hunted. From where I was dropped off, I got to the same general area by walking less than 1 mile. One cool thing about the walk-in hunt is that your helper can actually accompany you on the hunt. The draw odds are slightly better on the walk-in hunt but the distance traveled would definitely make it a harder hunt imo. I'm sure there are bulls killed much closer but like Rick said, most of the better areas seem to be on the far northern and northwest parts of the hunt area.

I'm almost 50 and was close to, if not the youngest in my group of 10 hunters. I had 2 ladies in my group that had cow tags. One was 73 and one was 75. 4 of the hunters in my group had applied for well over 20 years but put in for a cow tag this year and drew their first time.

A buddy sent me these stats. Not sure how accurate but interesting.

The herd is estimated to be around 1300. No telling how many are on the surrounding private lands.

Up to 30,000 entries each year. 408 tags issued this year. 110 bull tags and 298 cow tags.

70-80% success rate on bulls, 50-60% on cows. Approximately 250 elk will be harvested in any given year.

I will also be curious of the final stats for this year's hunt. Keep Applying!!

09-Dec-22

A little story on my hunt…

When I got the notice that my credit card had been hit back in the spring, this was all I could think about. After 26 years of applying, I was going to hunt bull elk at the Wichita Mountains!

Well, I might’ve fibbed a bit… I had a wreck, jacked up shoulder, rotator cuff surgery, lost my job, and my injury attorney passed away two weeks ago. Anyhow… tough times creates tough people. Moving on…

Myself being a bowhunter exclusively, I started thinking of what gun I would use. I don’t have many to choose from and I knew that my .223 or .243 wasn’t going to be large enough, so the search began. Then, I remembered my step-father had a 7mm that he used years ago when hunting for elk in Colorado and whitetails here at home. I had actually shot it when I was a 120 lb 12 year and it was more than I wanted to shoot. I think that might’ve been the point where I was more interested in bows and arrows. Heck, I don’t know. :)

I called him up and asked him to use it, and he ended up giving it to me. Saying… “it’s yours now son, I’ll never use it again”. We both were welled up with tears. Why? Because my step-father is failing in health and doesn’t have a lot of time left on this ball. He knows it, I know it. It is life.

This summer, I got the gun cleaned up real good and put a lot of rounds through it. Satisfied with the grouping, and knowing it would do the job if given the opportunity.

My GOAL was to kill an elk with his gun before he goes from this life. I was focused, and a decent legal bull, would suffice.

Monday the 5th of December was orientation and I was put in area “E”. I had done some mapping intel and also through talking with others that were there the week before, on Lana’s cow hunt. I had a game plan and was ready for the morning of the 6th.

My plan was to get to the North end of E and hunt into the wind, find high points, and glass… and move. Early that morning there was a dense fog and it was hard to see past 100 yards. Around 8:30-9am the fog finally lifted and I knew I needed to be in areas to find the elk moving/feeding…

As I was making my way up to find higher ground, I ran smack into a bull and we saw each other about the same time at 75 yards. No dice. I kept moving to get across to a south facing slope and glass. The north wind was hitting me in the face and I figured the elk were going to be out of the wind, mid mountain, and in the bowls out of the wind.

As I approached the canyon, I glassed two small bulls, a 2x2 and 3x3, across the canyon. Along with a lone cow just ahead of them.

Again, my goal was to kill an elk with my stepfathers gun and bring home elk meat. The antlers were a bonus if it happened.

As I moved around to get lower and not get spotted, I noticed a few more elk to the west of me. I threw up the binos and noticed a branch antlered bull that I would be satisfied with. I moved quickly using the oak brush to keep me hidden along the north facing slope.

I got to level elevation with the bull as he started to work up the mountain. I found an old stump and leveled the rifle, and got the bull in my sights. I clicked off the safety and tried to zero in, but my crosshairs were all over him, not good. I then scrambled to find a better rest. Looking just ahead of me, I saw a flat rock about 10 yards ahead and laid down to the prone position. This was it!

As the bull paralleled the opposite mountain, I found him again and when he stopped, the crosshairs were on him. This felt solid. I took one short breath and the bullet was on its way.

At impact, the bull jumped about 5 steps with his opposing leg up. He was facing me and I didn’t want to take a follow up shot head on. Fortunately, I wasn’t forced to as he fell right there and tumbled down the mountain about 40 yards or so, piling up in a group of rocks. The hunt was over at 10:20 in the morning on the first day!

Bird in the hand as I said to others. Especially with the rain moving in on the second day, you just don’t know what’s in store. The pack out was about 1/2 mile and plenty of rocks to navigate. All in all, a pretty easy pack out. We were out with all the meat and head by 4:15 pm and my legs were done! (Aaron’s too) :)

Going in to this 2-1/2 day hunt, my expectations were throttled and my ultimate goal was to take an elk before my step-fathers time and to bring home delicious elk meat. I did both and I’m extremely grateful for the opportunity!

I’d like to say thanks to my buddy, Aaron Johnson, for the help getting him off of the mountain, which took all of two trips. Im very appreciative!

To anyone else that might have concerns about this hunt in the future, PM me and I’d be glad to help you out with what I know. I was also there last week and gained lots of valuable info.

Sadly, I’ll never fill out controlled elk hunts at the Wichita Mountains again. But, that’s okay. :)

By the way… I called my step-father the evening of, and he was sure excited!

09-Dec-22
Nice story, Rick.

09-Dec-22

09-Dec-22

Fucking bowsite pics
Fucking bowsite pics

10-Dec-22
Well done! Congrats RIck! And Cord! Hey Rick, just curious is that a Remington 7400 auto?

10-Dec-22
Congrats Rick, and Cord! Pretty cool!

10-Dec-22
Dang nice Bulls

Congrats,

Robb

10-Dec-22
Kelly… it’s a Browning BAR 7mm. It actually says on the barrel… “Use Remington 7mm ammo”.

10-Dec-22
Ok thanks it looked familiar, most of my relatives shot either the Remington Auto or Pump action. Could really send the lead doing deer drives. LOL

10-Dec-22
Pretty cool buddy, congrats again, enjoy the fruits!

10-Dec-22
Rick cool story. Neat to hear about elk hunts in my home state. Congrats on a fine looking bull.

10-Dec-22

More pics… it’s a beautiful place in SW Oklahoma. If you get the chance to visit, you should! Elk, bison and BIG whitetails!

This was my friends bull he killed the week prior. He works for ODWC. Good dude!

10-Dec-22

Try this again… I’m usually pretty good with pics. What happened to the rotation editor? Stupid!

10-Dec-22

Found a boiling/simmering pan… :)

10-Dec-22

10-Dec-22
Thank you for sharing, Rick. Looks like a fantastic trip.

11-Dec-22
Congrats to both hunters! Great stuff.

12-Dec-22
Rick and Cord, thank you for taking the time to answer questions and to post up some pics of the hunt. Well done by both of you!

Rick, I see you've got the ivories. Don't know how much time your father in law has left but maybe use one of the ivories for him a ring or something? Just a thought. You could give it to him along with a nice elk steak dinner.

12-Dec-22
This ring isn't too expensive. https://rockymountainivory.com/products/smooth-ring-hoof-print

12-Dec-22
Russ… I’ve surely thought of that. Although, he doesn’t wear much jewelry. I think I’ll get Lana a pair of earrings or a necklace made with them.

Thank you guys for checking out the story. Much appreciated!

13-Dec-22
Congrats Rick and Cord, thanks for sharing. Rick, I'm glad you got to honor your step father while you can both share in the success of the hunt. I'm sure that gun will be cherished for the rest of your life. Again, congrats on a fine bull and more importantly, the memories you've made.

13-Dec-22
Rick congrats. Awesome adventures and memories and blessings for your step father.

13-Dec-22
Great job guys! Huge congrats and excellent story Rick

13-Dec-22
Thanks fellas! It’s been a week now and I want to go hunt them again, with a bow. :)

15-Jun-23
No elk for me. 25pp now :(

15-Jun-23
Crash and burn on Elk, Antelope, 3 best weekends at Mac.

15-Jun-23
Same here on Big Mac. Hard to believe we drew 5 out of 7 years at one point. Think it's been 8 since we drew.

15-Jun-23
No elk, antelope, or turkey for me or my household. My wife and I both drew deer tags Wichita NWR doe for me and Oka yanahili preserve doe for her.

15-Jun-23
Got the rejection emails as well...28pp for Elk now. I'm thinking that I'll be too old when I finally draw that tag.

Happy I got my QP for MAC from last year...it gives me something to look forward to.

15-Jun-23
Push, what you going to do when you see a 180" through your scope at 75 yards?

16-Jun-23

PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
Canepole sometimes all you can do is laugh or cry and I'm not much for crying. More interested in the experience then the antlers but you're right some giant's out there.

16-Jun-23
Drew MCAAP October 20-22, Hominy. I usually don’t put in for the earlier hunts down there but a friend put us in and I’m just glad to be going back. I already know what tree I’ll be in. ;)

19-Jun-23
Hope you get good weather Embry. Could be ok if it isn't 100 degrees... Good luck!

19-Jun-23
Yep, for sure. Will need a decent front to get the deer on their feet. I know it’s an “early” hunt, but it will be fun to go back, regardless.

23-Jun-23
The group of guys I have hunted with at McAlester for years drew first week in Nov. They kicked me out of the family as one of their sons is now old enough to hunt. That said, they also drew a CO deer tag for that week, so hoping they can tag out and make both hunts.

Embry, I have good trees for Deer Creek and Hominy already too if I ever draw the tag again.

16-Sep-23

Sparky's embedded Photo
Look at his face full of grass.
Sparky's embedded Photo
Look at his face full of grass.
Sparky's embedded Photo
Biologist took this one out of his house 6x6
Sparky's embedded Photo
Biologist took this one out of his house 6x6
Sparky's embedded Photo
A freak
Sparky's embedded Photo
A freak
Sparky's embedded Photo
Don’t know why pics are turned. Feeling lucky to be the only guy to legally shoot a elk from this herd this year!
Sparky's embedded Photo
Don’t know why pics are turned. Feeling lucky to be the only guy to legally shoot a elk from this herd this year!
Hello sorry to drag up old thread but I drew the only tag at Cookson it’s either sex took forty five years and twenty five preference points. Hunt is on 9/27 less then two weeks away.

Got handicapped three years ago and had to stop applying at Witchataw mountains because of it only been able to apply at Cookson for their one permit. Area management is great biologists keeps sending me pictures and they are going to use skid steer of front end loader for recovery and they are going to honor my handicap permit for atv. Odds about four thousand to one so I thought I never would draw.

16-Sep-23
Sparky that's amazing congratulations I bet you're on cloud 9! Let us know how it goes.

17-Sep-23
Thanks PushCoArcher are you in Push county if so I was wondering about their elk herd?

18-Sep-23
Living in OKC currently due to work. But born and raised in Pushmataha most of the family is there and I own land there. I'm a little out of date on how the elk are doing recently. I remembered the year they lost 9 to 11 to spot lightning and poaching after that they took the hunt off the controlled hunts list.

28-Sep-23
Living in OKC and never invited us 'locals' over for a cold beverage or cookout? Almost rude. :) You headed back to CO this year or already been?

28-Sep-23

Spatky's embedded Photo
Me with Curt and Jr the area hosts.
Spatky's embedded Photo
Me with Curt and Jr the area hosts.
Spatky's embedded Photo
Spatky's embedded Photo
Spatky's embedded Photo
Spatky's embedded Photo
Spatky's embedded Photo
My best friend and hunting buddy Chuck!
Spatky's embedded Photo
My best friend and hunting buddy Chuck!
Well my hunt turned out great saw seven or eight shooter bulls. Big thanks to Curt and Jr that run Cookson wildlife management area they went above and beyond to help me get my elk and helped with recovery and cleaning since I am handicapped. Also big thanks for my best friend Chuck for helping and taking me it was a hunt of a lifetime and I will not forget! While scouting Tuesday I got a call from a owner of property forty miles from my house in special area two I think only two bulls a year and usually fills first day I graciously declined because I can’t afford to process two or two mounts maybe I can go there next year.

29-Sep-23
Congrats on your bull! Going to be some really good meat in the freezer. I like the palmation on the one side - gives it some character.

29-Sep-23
Thanks Russ, kept heart and liver they have a huge liver may try heart for lunch tomorrow. Lots of bulls at Cookson since I drew on my birthday I knew it was meant to be if I wasn’t handicapped it would be a great stalk hunt I wish I could walk through the woods but going on three years of bad drop foot on the right. Over 4000-1 odds eight to ten times harder to draw than the other elk hunts if you don’t get around good make it your first pick you won’t regret it! Never thought I would draw it as it’s the only elk hunt I applied for last three years because one look at me and they would have sent me away at the other hunt.

29-Sep-23

29-Sep-23

02-Oct-23
Joel that's amazing congratulations on a beautiful bull. Russ now your making feel bad you still in Norman? Just got back this Saturday from 2 weeks of pronghorn hunting in CO and scouting for my brother's WY elk tag.

03-Oct-23
Congrats!!! Cool bull!!!

25-Oct-23
Took my daughter to Pushmataha WMA for a youth hunt. Too hot. Just a few deer killed. Place was super thick.

29-Oct-23

Hunted Big Mac last weekend in the heat. It was 87 the day I killed this doe. I feel grateful to have had the chance and get to go back next year on a quality pass. The dates next year will actually move to the 25-27 of October due to when October 1st falls.

30-Oct-23
Looks like you hit a home run with those dates.

02-Nov-23
Aaron… I changed that month. I had inadvertently put November, I meant October. :)

03-Nov-23
Nice work. Looks like they are shooting a few decent ones down there. This weekend should be stellar the way I have seen deer moving.

03-Nov-23
Still good dates. I hunted it once around Halloween and we had a nice cool weekend. Saw a lot of nice deer. Congrats on the pass.

03-Nov-23
Quailhunter, was that your Hominy hunt maybe 12 years ago? I'm still grateful for you giving that heads up on that big White Oak that next weekend. I had 3 does show up 30 minutes into my first sit and saw the tallest tine buck I've ever seen from the same tree. Aaron,to this day I'm so appreciative.

03-Nov-23
Man canepole I’m not sure… I think I hunted that place in 03, 07, and 08. Hunted with different guys each time. I don’t remember names well. One guy used to be on here quite a bit. Hunted by the cemetery in both 07 and 08. Did we hunt together? With three guys in 07 and a father and son in 08. I do remember that.

03-Nov-23
Duh now I’m seeing you said next weekend. Did I give you advice on here about a spot? My reading comprehension is lacking apparently…. We quit putting in for that hunt after 08. We took dad and I could tell he didn’t enjoy the recurve stuff so we started doing hunts he’d enjoy. Have killed a couple on rifle controlled hunts since then.

04-Nov-23
Aaron, I was one of those new guys that got on Bowsite and was asking for help and advice. Back then there were so many helpful folks here. I gained lots of information about the hunt and shooting a recurve. Yes, you were hunting close the cemetery the weekend before. Guess it would 15 years this weekend I went on my first hunt at Macalester and yes you told me about a place you'd seen some deer.

• Sitka Gear