Red Beastmaster 25-Jun-22
dpms 28-Jun-22
Bowhunting 5C 28-Jun-22
Griz 29-Jun-22
dpms 30-Jun-22
Bowhunting 5C 30-Jun-22
dpms 01-Jul-22
20-Jun-22
I recently saw this slipped into the 22/23 regulations for the late archery season in the SRAs? Previously archery hunters did not have to wear orange, but it was recommended. This appears to be a change that mandates it?

The below is in the SRA regulations in the new digest.

WMUs 2B, 5C & 5D: Dec. 26-Jan. 28 Extended antlerless firearms season • 250 square inches of fluorescent orange on the head, chest and back combined, and visible from 360 degrees, is required at all times. Archery hunters must wear fluorescent orange in these WMUs during this season.

20-Jun-22
Jan 18 to the 28th orange must be worn. since that's the extended archery season.

20-Jun-22
This is quite significant for those that hunt tight areas around lots of people. I just don't get why the need for this change other than straight walled cartridges being legalized. But the justification for that was that their range was the same as modern inlines and shotguns.

20-Jun-22
"Jan 18 to the 28th orange must be worn. since that's the extended archery season."

The new regs say during the entire late firearms season in the SRAs, archery hunters must wear orange while archery hunting. 12/26-1/28

20-Jun-22
They are really getting good at this constant change thing....why....or is it simply every action...thanks.

20-Jun-22
So upon researching this further, they did change the wording in the special regulations area of the digest to say that "archery" hunters must where orange during the late firearms season in the SRA's which is 12/26 - 1/28. But on page 25 of the digest it says that archery hunters did not need to where orange during any "overlap" seasons if they are archery hunting.

So maybe the intent is that during the late season, if someone is hunting antlerless deer with a bow as a lesser weapon in the late firearms season, they need to wear orange. If they are hunting the late archery season with an archery license which overlaps the firearms season, they do not need to wear orange?

Who knows. That is what I am running with, lol................

20-Jun-22
So much for my post above. PGC was contacted and they said anybody archery hunting the late archery season with a archery license has to wear FO in the SRA's.............. This is the exact opposite of what it says on page 25 of the digest that FO is not required for archery during overlap seasons. Of course what the PGC tells people has been wrong before.

I have a message in myself about this. Seems pretty messed up and I see no justification for this new regulation.

20-Jun-22
I ain't wearing it.

20-Jun-22
I always wear FO if there are hunters around me with firearms- I WANT them to see me! ;-)

20-Jun-22
Rut, in many of the really tight areas many of us hunt in the SRAs, it is basically archery only anyways due to safety zones. Having to wear orange in environments that are often times not too friendly towards hunters draws unwanted attention when we are trying to legally get in and get out without most people knowing we are there. Sitting in a tree 100 yards off a road with 250 inches of FO on with no foliage is going to be a pain in the rear for many folks and will deter some from hunting in these areas that desperately need deer numbers reduced.

20-Jun-22
Nope, nada, nuh uh. Why advertise..? This is stupidity. Archery hunting after xmas wearing FO? Well guess what...

21-Jun-22
Sometimes I think they, meaning the PGC, are more against hunters than for them. I have to limit what stands I can sit with my bow during "gun season" because if someone sees me in orange, they automatically think I am gun hunting. In the areas I hunt in 5D, I have not heard a gunshot during the "gun season" in over 10 years as suburbia has spread and narrowed all available hunting around me to less than 150 yards from homes. The PGC obviously didn't ask what we may think and I bet it has more to do with being able to see hunters for their own purposes. This is a devastating change for SRA bowhunters. Where does the UBP stand on this? Considering a large percentage of their membership lives in SRA, they should be concerned.

21-Jun-22
Ok- I hear ya guys. I could see that would be a problem.

21-Jun-22
I know of land owners in 5D who don't want us archery hunters wearing orange even in gun season. They want the deer managed, but don't want their anti hunter neighbors alerted to hunters. These are properties where safety zones eliminates any possibility of firearm hunting.

21-Jun-22
I have a communication in with the Bureau of LE in regards to this new language. Thus far, a response I am aware of to someone else what that indeed orange would be required in late archery for archery hunters in the SRA, but I am not convinced that is actually the intent.

What is more likely is the intent of that language is for folks hunting with archery gear, without a archery license, using the bow as a lesser weapon in the late firearms season.

Time will tell. I asked for specific clarification of this from the Bureau.

21-Jun-22
Why? They cry we do not shoot enough and a majority on private property. Why? FO is terrible! Archery is just that, we are not shooting each other with arrows, well Gene is but we are not!

22-Jun-22
I love you guys really:)

dpms typed: “ I just don't get why the need for this change other than CROSSBOWS being legalized. But the justification for that was that their range was the same as modern inlines and shotguns. I fixed it for you. You misspelled Crossbow.;)

Y’all say you never hear gun shots around your area. So what else could it be?

Certainly not a “lesser” weapon… maybe bunches of lesser individuals-hellbent on filling up a vacant freezer, now upgraded to a competent level by scoped weapon with the ability to shoot more accurately than some inlines, BP guns, and shotguns.

‘Member I love youze all:)”

The UBP took a brave stance against this crap back a few years ago. Bob Frye interviewed some sexy handsome bahstid :) and did a great article that went across the state and pounded the anti-bow hunter LE supervisor and his minions.

Being ever watchful it has reared it’s ugly head again:)

Who will have the nuts to seek proof of injuries from the LE Division? Maybe the Legislative dude from the UBP? I doubt it…..

There’s a lot of squirming going on in the hunting ranks to make everybody comfortable:)

22-Jun-22
Before I forget:) The rumored reason for the first attempt to get archers to wear FO was that the LE division claimed it was too hard to nab poachers hunting deer at night because of lack of noise. And yes xbows were coming down the pike so they tried this bs then. whats different now? Possibilities expected: Ground beef hitting $21/lb, Chicken $20/ lb, chicken eggs going to $12/dz, milk $8/gal. GASOLINE $10/gal (per Paris climate accord) Big $ losses 401k. How about riots to gain food? Its an absolute possibility now.

The LE figure every hunter is a possible poacher now too. Thats my $1.50 on it

23-Jun-22
That Dale guy above lost all the love. I might like metiki guy better.

Maybe they have just lost sight of what bow hunting was:(

Personally the late season hunters are almost non existent around here anymore. A big change in the last five years.

23-Jun-22
My inquiry has been forwarded on to the Bureau of Law Enforcement at the PGC., or so I have been told. Apparently, the answer to my question is not so straight forward.........

23-Jun-22
I think Metikki is Dale's evil twin! ;-) I didn;t think Dale was a conspiracy theorist..............

23-Jun-22
Well that sure opened a can of worms Perry. Maybe his cowboy coffee was sour again or his hot coals got damp last night:-)

23-Jun-22

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Or he left his hotdogs on the grill too long! ;-)

Dale- if I get low on meat I’ll just go out on my back deck...............

23-Jun-22
Sandwich sized Perry;)

Well I’m up here at Sawmill, beautiful arena of course:) and while I have my phone….. Metikki it is:)

Just a heads up…. Jared and I had to pay $71 each for 3 nights camping AND 4 days of shooting, we are only here for 2 nights and a possible 3 days shooting. No discounts for less days. Grrrr

As pretty as it is and gentle breeze blowing at about 70 deg, it should be a chilly night for snoozing;) However the $142 has kept me much warmer than I expected.:(

Peace and love :)

23-Jun-22

24-Jun-22

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Yeah, but momma will make a bunch of steaks and a Couple nice sized roasts Dale! : )

Have fun this weekend!

24-Jun-22
Dale, they pulled that crap on me years ago at ETAR. Then, for the last decade or so we only had to pay for the days we were actually there.

They host the biggest shoot in the world but they are the most money hungry bunch I've ever seen.

Show them your fists. Yeah, that will do it. Get your refund!

24-Jun-22
LOL the courses are great! Herb and his gang, Butch, Scott, and The Gnome are all here!

25-Jun-22
Btw- we sat around the fire all night and talked about our “buddies” :)

25-Jun-22
Btw- we sat around the fire all night and talked about our “buddies” :)

25-Jun-22
Short conversation I bet.

28-Jun-22
Just got this back from the Bureau of Law Enforcement;

"This is actually a complex issue as our fluorescent orange requirements are established by season, not by implement.

For example, a person hunting antlerless deer during the extended firearms deer season (antlerless only) is required to wear fluorescent orange. This is true whether the hunter is using a firearm, muzzleloader, bow or crossbow, which are all lawful devices for this season. The key here is that the season itself is a firearms season that requires the wearing of fluorescent orange.

However, during the exact same time frame, there is a concurrent archery deer season. Unlike the firearms season, this season requires an archery license, but has no fluorescent orange requirements.

So a hunter need only identify which season they are hunting to determine which devices can be used and what fluorescent orange requirements apply. This is the unfortunate consequence of overlapping seasons.

As a consequence, the reference in the digest is technically correct."

So basically, if you are hunting the late archery season in the SRA's under a archery license, no FO is required. If using a bow as a lesser weapon in the late extended antlerless firearms season in the SRA without a archery license, FO is required. Despite the seasons running concurrent, they do have different FO regs.

28-Jun-22
Why advertise, does not matter anyway. Aint even bringing it with me.

29-Jun-22
I hunt a 16 acre spot right on the border of 5D and 5C. It is bowhunting only and I have not even heard a gunshot during the regular gun season in many years. Everything has been built up around me and having to wear FO in the late season would be an issue. Anyone seeing me in a stand wearing FO, would automaticallky assume I was gun hunting. During the regular gun season I am severely limited in what stands I can hunt so as not to be seen by neighbors. They know I'm in there but the less they "see" the better. I follow the rules. That being said, two years ago while walking out at the end of the day during gun season, a Deputy Game Warden stepped out of the woods ahead of me as I crossed a field to my truck. Scared the bejesus out of me. I have never seen another person on the property. He claimed a neighbor had reported shots being fired at dark every night. I'm there enough to know this was BS. He saw my truck and knew I was hunting, waited in the upper woods for me to expose myself and was hoping to catch me without orange. He proceeded to quiz me on where my stands were, who owned the property, etc...... He seemed very dissapointed when everything was in order.

30-Jun-22
The best is when people see ya hunting in these areas and dump a pile of corn in there then call the PGC and say there is bait in the area and people hunting.

30-Jun-22
Ah, Gene? Way to give the Bambi huggers more ammo...Good job by you.

01-Jul-22
They don't need my ammo. They have it figured out pretty good already.

• Sitka Gear