Missouribreaks 25-Jun-22
Trickle rut 25-Jun-22
Trickle rut 25-Jun-22
Hoot 25-Jun-22
Pete-pec 25-Jun-22
Missouribreaks 26-Jul-22
dpms 10-Aug-22
22-Jun-22
I have been against deer farms since cwd became known, Now i see another up north county with no cases ever of cwd has a case in what ???? A DEER FARM !!!!!!!!!! wake up sportsman, Insist our state govt cancel all deer farms !

22-Jun-22
This has been known and wanted to be stopped by many. The deer farming lobby fights it every time it is brought up. To me it is the primary and sole cause of spreading CWD. It should have been outlawed immediately, it is pretty blatant.

22-Jun-22
Agreed

22-Jun-22
The state of WI has utterly failed in its fight against CWD. Wether you support the practice of baiting or not, it can’t be denied that it has been deer farms that has led to the spread of CWD within our state. The WDNR turns a blind eye to these existing farms and instead institutes feckless baiting bans in order advance a personal agenda.

22-Jun-22
If I was a betting man, sometimes those crazy CWD cases that seem out of place, come from places they are certain to be more common in. If you were to shoot a 3 year old in one of our hot zones, you will almost for certain be eating a deer with CWD if you tested it. Therefore, take one of those hot zone deer to another area of the state, and you might just see that anomaly. I only know one friend of friend who tests his deer, but he's a the type who is overwhelmed by fear mongering. In my opinion, I wouldn't ever test a deer, but the simple fact it outlawed baiting was a complete win. I would worry though, that people will fall for the same old story, and take too many of your deer. I have plenty to say on the topic, but hunting has never been better, once landowners got wise, and became the ultimate say in deer management. Been dealing with the lows and now highs since 2002. Don't fall for the eradication, and I wouldn't necessarily blame deer farms either. It was only tested in the United States on wild deer since 1981. I feel like there's a strong chance it was here for eons, but simply never looked for. Not suggesting deer farms don't help, and I'd think once a single deer is infected, the rest are sure to follow, but there is pretty severe scrutiny on farms going forward, and although they're not my thing, I have to look at it similar to mad cow disease (BSE). It exists as well, should we eliminate beef farms? I'm certainly not an advocate, but I have to empathize with those farms with high pedigree who play by the rules.

22-Jun-22
LOL, how quickly we forget. Back in 2002 when the DNR recommended clamping down on transport of deer from farm to farm .... and the Republican Legislature said "hands off, leave those small businesses alone!" The DNR is following the Republican laws set forth by the Republican legislature. This is what Wisconsin voted for.

22-Jun-22
A customer that ran a deerfarm for years told me his inventory changed every year during the Rut . Bucks in the 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 year age would find a way to jump the 8 foot fence to get in to his property or out of it .

One nite about 10 years ago the wife & I were headed home when 2 8 pt bucks ran past us , stopped by a 8 ft fence to a Deerfarm just outside of Antigo . We stopped & watched the Bucks make 3 attempts to clear the fence ( Rut ) . One buck made it , the other didn't .

Let them have deerfarms . With 10 foot fences & twice a year audits with big fines if the numbers don't add up .

22-Jun-22
Pete - Great post, CWD/Prions — the infectious, deformed proteins that cause chronic wasting disease in deer — can be taken up by plants such as alfalfa, corn and tomatoes, according to new research from the National Wildlife Health Center in Madison. I wonder how much infected feed is brought into deer farms. I'll never test another deer for CWD. They'll never stop this disease no matter how many millions of dollars they waste. Let Mother Nature take its course. Whitetail deer have been around for 3,500,00 years. How many diseases have they been through?

22-Jun-22
Band Aids. That's what the DNR (do not resist) did about CWD and deer farms. They mandated double fencing. They mandated head counts. But the deer still escape. They are basically a Zoo. A hunting Zoo but follow nothing required of a Zoo. These deer farmers trade deer back and forth all over the country. They tranquilize them and transport. Nobody follows the regulations. Ban them I say

22-Jun-22
DATCP regulates deer farms, not DNR. DATCP is a much more business friendly agency. Don't look for them to ban anything.

22-Jun-22
It is amazing how many hunters patronize fenced enclosures to get their game, deer, hogs, elk, exotics, you name it. Deer farms get a lot of secret support and funding from the hunting community, that is why they are so plentiful..

22-Jun-22
It is amazing how many hunters patronize fenced enclosures to get their game, deer, hogs, elk, exotics, you name it. Deer farms get a lot of secret support and funding from the hunting community, that is why they are so plentiful..

22-Jun-22
Maybe it is time to contact our legis reps to put big pressure on DACPT. It has been a travesty.

22-Jun-22
last fall north of Bemidji a deer farm owner took a sick deer out and disposed it on state forrest land, the DNR did a sample study on every deer killed at the check stations for about a 30 mi. perimeter. Something that needs to be brought back in Wi. is the check and tag stations, how can the DNR get a accurate kill with the call in, got to keep it honest.

22-Jun-22
Who here has " hunted " any animal in a fenced enclosure?

22-Jun-22
Hunted Russian Boar in an enclosure in Michigan back in 2004

22-Jun-22
Missouri, the correct term would be "bought", not "hunted". And the answer to your question is Hell No!!!!

23-Jun-22
Never hunted a canned hunt nor will I ever.

23-Jun-22
"Never hunted a canned hunt nor will I ever". My sentiment exactly.

23-Jun-22
Its funny to see guys here who have already hit the easy button by hunting low pressure high population farm land balking at the idea of a “canned” hunt. Hunting large ag properties is just as much of a deer “shoot” as a “canned” hunt.

23-Jun-22
Well I have done 5 of those hunts behind fence..... I assisted a combat friend, who can not hunt alone, and wanted to get a boar... I also went out with those in a wheel chair, had cerebal palsy, (told he could not hunt again), I guess we showed them..... My friend who has MS, etc.............. all were for exotics and pigs........ All large enclosure areas 2500 acres or more................. The smiles on their faces and the good times we had, were as memorable to me, as my free range hunts, that God, has blessed me, with to do................................... Life is what you make it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

23-Jun-22
think about this ! Some say cwd has been here for thousands of years ! if so, why aren,t all deer infected ? If it is in the soil, Why aren,t all deer in a deer farm infected ? Why alkl oif a sudden a case pops up here, then their ? If this is true, evry deer should be infected, If not we should now have a master race that is immune !!! I see none of the above, SO I BELIEVE DEER FARMS ARE A MAJOR CULPRIT !

23-Jun-22
They are a major culprit, but it is based on simple science. The concentration of mature deer eating from the same plate will in fact concentrate the prion. That might describe a deer farm, but I know there are some very intelligent deer farmers who have never had a case. That doesn't mean every deer even in a confined space gets the disease, and because deer in the wild will certainly and inherently build up immunity to the disease, the amount of positive deer per capita in the wild (versus a farm deer) should be less. Now add that very few people actually test their deer in the wild, and most deer are tested on deer farms, you are bound to see higher concentrations on deer farms. What's your answer to mad cow disease? Should all beef farmers be put out of business because a positive case is found on another farm? I'd rather see Washington DC burned to the ground instead lol.

23-Jun-22
I have hunted enclosed animals. From properties as small as 10,000 to over 130,000 acres.

23-Jun-22
So how did CWD get from CO to WI? The area near Mt Horeb where the initial case was detected had no Deer Farm in the area. Also the 10 year prediction of the total collapse of the deer herd in Hot Zone never materialized.

23-Jun-22
Thank you huntfish43. Hyperbole is the foundation of swaying people's opinions. I could make an endless list, but we've been dealing with the end of the world, since the beginning of it. Acid rain, killer bees, global warming, AIDS, mad cow, and about ten new fear mongering things to get people's panties in a bundle each and every year. Scientists are whores to the highest bidder. Whomever controls people, has one thing in common. Good at spreading fear for their own personal agenda. CWD was the DNR's way to get support un lowering deer numbers, and too many people took the bait We live about 85 years if we are lucky, and less if we are unlucky, and longer if we are boring lol, so move on, and quit worrying over stuff you have very little control over. I'd bet my bottom dollar I've ate CWD infected venison, and I also got covid twice. If it's my time, it's my time, but I can promise you I'm much more content living without worry. I know a few pussified people, and I pity their impotence when it comes to the things that trigger them. Happy hunting!

24-Jun-22
HTF 43 - They almost registered a captive deer the first year at the Barneveld collection site that was shot in the wild. We were told there would be an entire collapse of the Wisconsin deer herd within five years if extermination wasn't done in the area.

24-Jun-22
A few years ago I arrowed an Elk in the CWD hot zone of Colorado. Every morning the rancher would send a cowboy to our camp to pack any Elk back to the ranch . I told the cowboy where to take my Elk for butchering in Craig & asked him to have the Elk tested for CWD .

He laughed & asked me if I was from WI . He said only the hunters from WI worry about CWD . He laughed & said most of the ranches live off of Elk & Mulies & no one's died yet .

I didn't get it tested , & I'm still alive . My point is the state of Wi blew this out of proportion.

24-Jun-22
For reasons only they truly know, I believe it was part of Wisconsin's extermination plan all along.

24-Jun-22
MJF, a lot of theories heard at local taverns from auto insurance companies, to tree farmers, to simple householders, but one thing is for sure, the population was (in some places) a bit crazy. They pissed us off so much here in Southern Wisconsin, that the populations are greater today than they were then in some places. My friend where I hunt asked me to please take out more does. Something he never said in the past, but it's pretty evident our area rebounded since landowners became deer managers and quit the slaughter. I get six antlerless tags including metro tags when I purchase a bow and gun license. I have a standard where I just don't shoot does with fawns, and might take 2 antlerless every 3 years. I need to take more. It really does prove even with coyotes taking numerous fawns, that man has the greatest impact on the herd. Yes, predators certainly take their share, but we need to take some credit for lack of numbers. The reason I say this, is the Bayfield threads. People have seen low numbers, blame plenty of things, but still insist on hunting and attempting to take from an already depleted herd. It takes self restraint, even for meat hunters and trophy hunters alike, but we are to blame for a lot of it, even though the wolf is certainly a contributing factor. I know this, because I haven't hunted our property in Sawyer county in over 13 years because it is so sad what has transpired. I can promise you if a Cooperative of people left the deer alone, the wolves will not eat them all, and they will rebound, but that formula set by the DNR, and administered by the hunting population will never allow that idea to happen, and it might be the sacrifice needed to please the future of the big woods.

24-Jun-22
Pete - Great post. I know when CWD hit we had around 100 deer per square mile. After the slaughter started the herd dwindled considerably for a few years until the hunters woke up. I asked a biologist why the herd in the core area was growing. She told me they weren't getting any co-operation from the landowners. I asked her then whose fault was this. She said, "so you think it's the DNR's fault?" I told her there are only two parts to that equation. The thing that made sick were the reefer's full of dead deer mainly because the wives told their husbands or kids not to bring any of the meat home. Just kill, kill and kill.

24-Jun-22
Freezers? Hell Jim, I saw dumpsters full of them. Some sad sack near Beloit shot over 40 deer alone in one season, and because I was at a different stage as a hunter, I obliged, and killed 7 in one season off my cousin's farm. What do you think happened? Well damn, I wasn't seeing deer, and neither were locals as well. Now was it our obligation to stop the spread of CWD, or was it our obligation to stop the spread of deer? Look at the numbers. It is public information. You will be shocked at how few of deer registered, even in hot zones actually have it. I work with a fella and he will read this, who's ate it, and I know others as well. Only found out after the results came back, but they ate it before getting the results. Oh, he has CWD, but it is Chronic Whittaker's Disease, lol, and that joke only he will get, but the point is, he nor anyone else has contracted the disease. I guess we can be mad that the disease exists in deer, but I'm more upset that cancer exists in humans....especially kids. And like CWD, it picks its hosts without discretion. I take CWD personal, because I'm hunting a county that has it, and there's very few people today who give two schitz about it. I leave it up to the worriers, the pussified, and the ones who like drama. I just don't think it is something to worry over.

24-Jun-22

25-Jun-22
Who supports all these fenced game farms ? Where is the money flowing from?

25-Jun-22
Wealthy people who want to display a world class buck on the wall to show how great a hunter they are. Nevermind it was a fenced enclosed food lot with mainipulating antler growth by pruning etc. I knew a guy who had a big enclosure (now inmate #76548) and bragged about guys paying upwards of $10,000 for a buck. Piebalds we're $15,000 and up. He had one get loose once fighting thru the fence. A bowhunter (real bow) shot it about 4 miles away. 180 class buck. The guy had the gall to try to get it back from the hunter who said piss off. It ended up in small claims court and the court ruled that ownership fell under a 70 year old livestock law that since it was a " farm" the ownership was and shall be the rightfully farmer. Not sure heard several stories about the ending of it all

25-Jun-22
I forgot to mention the said buck did have a small ear tag with a # which the hunter removed but admitted it had one and was disposed of

25-Jun-22
Pete - I shot seven bucks when CWD first hit. The land I hunted was between two parks and both other bordering properties were allowing sharpshooters. I kept all my deer and my kids and friends had freezers full of venison. All had to be tested at that time and all came back negative.

25-Jun-22
Yeah, the last deer I tested was because I had to. Never had one come back positive either.

26-Jul-22

Missouribreaks's Link

10-Aug-22
So deer are also raised for meat. There is a market for venison, believe it or not. Closing down deer farms would also affect many small businesses that are not in the antler industry.

• Sitka Gear