Goat 28-Jun-22
Longcruise 28-Jun-22
antler1 29-Jun-22
Grasshopper 29-Jun-22
Ursman 29-Jun-22
Ziek 30-Jun-22
Nock 01-Jul-22
28-Jun-22
Last 2 years I had prairie rattlesnakes come into my natural blind, 3 ft from my legs. It's in a large juniper tree.

This year I'm seeing more than the last couple years.

Is there any natural or chemical deterrents that might work for my case that doesn't have odors that alerts animals?

28-Jun-22
I've heard cinnamon and cedar work but like about every deterrent its odor based.

28-Jun-22
Old cowboy trick - Place a rope on the ground completely encircling your blind. Theory is that a snake won't cross over the rope. Not sure if it works but I saw it in a John Wayne movie once. LOL

28-Jun-22
Goat, it don't work. LOL I heard that same story long ago. The way it was told to me is it had to be a horse hair rope. I've seen videos of rattlers crawling over the ropes.

Stix, must be something about you that they like. I think the season is open now. Schwack em and skin em. There's plenty of self bowyers who would like to have them.

29-Jun-22
Season?

29-Jun-22

Grasshopper's Link
Had a pest guy come out to the house, he swore by "snake away" on amazon. Said it stinks so change clothes after application. It effects the snakes respiratory system, and they stay away.

29-Jun-22
Colorado has a prairie rattle snake season!!! It’s 6/15 to 8/15, Antelope season opens 8/15. Hmmm!

30-Jun-22

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
According to my research, none of the snake deterrents work. Our new pup has already stepped on a sleeping rattler coiled on a trail. Fortunately, she wasn't bit and it scared her pretty good. Not long after, when returning from an evening walk, we found a baby rattler in the dog yard. We've had more encounters this year than normal, prompting my research. The only thing I could find that does work is 1/4" fencing, 3' high around any area you want to keep them out.

01-Jul-22
Feel your pain. We used to live in the foothills where they were a big problem. Several neighbors lost dogs to rattlers. Our Newfoundland dog at the time had a great nose for snakes and would let us know if one was around. A couple of good barn cats keep rodents down and snakes tend to look elsewhere.

• Sitka Gear