jlmatthew 28-Jun-22
Paul@thefort 28-Jun-22
Paul@thefort 28-Jun-22
Orion 28-Jun-22
Stix 28-Jun-22
Stix 28-Jun-22
28-Jun-22
Any info about the new appointees?

Richard Reading of Denver, Colorado to serve as a representative of the public at large, appointed;

Gabriel Otero of Fruita, Colorado, to serve as a representative of sportspersons and a member West of the Continental Divide, appointed.

28-Jun-22
Spotlight on: Gabriel Otero In our first profile, we spotlight Gabriel Otero, Colorado Plateau representative at The Wilderness Society and a Next 100 Colorado coalition member since summer 2019.

How does your job help make Colorado’s outdoor spaces more diverse, equitable, and inclusive?

I focus on making outdoor spaces more diverse, equitable and inclusive by working with historically unrepresented and disenfranchised communities. Public lands belong to all of us, so making sure all members of our communities are welcome and their voices are heard in the management of our public lands is the right thing to do. The Wilderness Society has made a commitment to equity and access to public lands for everyone. On the ground, this means providing leadership and opportunity for the communities we work in. It also means meaningful engagement and relationship building. The work comes in many forms, including hikes, educational events to discuss local and national policy, comment writing workshops, meeting with elected officials, film screenings, etc. It’s really about meeting people where they are and recognizing that because of systemic inequity they haven’t had a seat at the table. It is most important to listen and respond to and work side by side with unrepresented communities, and in turn elevate their voices. How has Next 100 Colorado changed the way you approach your work?

Next 100 Colorado hasn’t changed the way I approach my work, but it does align with it. I’m a Chicano and come from a family of activists so I was taught about the inequalities in our country from an early age. Next 100 Colorado’s mission of addressing equitable access to public lands is great and I hope leaders in our state continue to support this work.

What is your favorite outdoor spot in Colorado?

It’s hard to pick a favorite spot, because there are so many good ones depending on what recreation activity you like to do. Overall, I really enjoy spending time with my family anywhere on the Grand Mesa.

What is your favorite outdoor activity?

Hunting, fishing and hiking are tied as my favorites.

Who inspired your career in conservation/the outdoors?

My inspiration comes from God, in the sense that we all have a responsibility to be good stewards of the land we are blessed with so that future generations can enjoy it too.

Spotlight on: Gabriel Otero In our first profile, we spotlight Gabriel Otero, Colorado Plateau representative at The Wilderness Society and a Next 100 Colorado coalition member since summer 2019.

How does your job help make Colorado’s outdoor spaces more diverse, equitable, and inclusive?

I focus on making outdoor spaces more diverse, equitable and inclusive by working with historically unrepresented and disenfranchised communities. Public lands belong to all of us, so making sure all members of our communities are welcome and their voices are heard in the management of our public lands is the right thing to do. The Wilderness Society has made a commitment to equity and access to public lands for everyone. On the ground, this means providing leadership and opportunity for the communities we work in. It also means meaningful engagement and relationship building. The work comes in many forms, including hikes, educational events to discuss local and national policy, comment writing workshops, meeting with elected officials, film screenings, etc. It’s really about meeting people where they are and recognizing that because of systemic inequity they haven’t had a seat at the table. It is most important to listen and respond to and work side by side with unrepresented communities, and in turn elevate their voices.

How has Next 100 Colorado changed the way you approach your work?

Next 100 Colorado hasn’t changed the way I approach my work, but it does align with it. I’m a Chicano and come from a family of activists so I was taught about the inequalities in our country from an early age. Next 100 Colorado’s mission of addressing equitable access to public lands is great and I hope leaders in our state continue to support this work.

What is your favorite outdoor spot in Colorado?

It’s hard to pick a favorite spot, because there are so many good ones depending on what recreation activity you like to do. Overall, I really enjoy spending time with my family anywhere on the Grand Mesa.

What is your favorite outdoor activity?

Hunting, fishing and hiking are tied as my favorites.

Who inspired your career in conservation/the outdoors?

My inspiration comes from God, in the sense that we all have a responsibility to be good stewards of the land we are blessed with so that future generations can enjoy it too.

28-Jun-22
Richard Reading, Ph.D. is the Director for Research and Conservation at Butterfly Pavilion. He serves as an Adjunct Professor within the Department of Biology at the University of Denver; Affiliate Faculty with the Department of Agricultural Science and Pest Management at Colorado State University; and a Fellow with the University of Nebraska’s Center for Great Plains Studies. Dr. Reading received a Ph.D. and three Master’s degrees from Yale University in Wildlife Ecology and Human Dimensions of Wildlife and an Honorary Doctorate from the National Education University of Mongolia. In 2020, Rich was honored to receive the Order of the Polar Star, the highest honor from the Mongolian National Government for expatriates, for contributions to conservation. He has conducted or overseen projects in dozens of countries, working primarily on grassland and arid ecosystems on six continents, with a focus on the Great Plains of N. America, the steppes and deserts of Mongolia, the savannahs and deserts of Botswana, and the Altiplano of Peru. His work focuses on developing pragmatic, effective, and interdisciplinary approaches to the conservation of wildlife and protected areas through research, capacity development, and working with local people and governments. Dr. Reading serves on the boards of directors or advisors for several non-profit organizations in the U.S. and overseas; serves as an associate editor for 5 scientific journals; has published over 230 scientific papers and book chapters; written dozens of popular articles; and written or edited 8 books.

28-Jun-22
From what I've been told Dr. Reading is anti hunting and pro wolf.

28-Jun-22
Reading is on Praire Dog Coalition, Rocky Mountain Wild, Idea Wild. All of these orgs are hostile towards hunting. His appointment should be blocked. He replaced Luke Shaffer who was a strong hunting advocate.

Gabrielle Otero is a hunter and conservationist. He'll be well received by most conservation orgs. He has a well rounded resume. He's an active member of the Wilderness Society which champions roadless & wilderness area. He is also an advocate for recreational access for underpriviledged and those in urban areas. He replaces Charles Garcia, who although was a sportsmens rep, helped block the suggestion for an early deer archery season, supported moving rifle seasons later, and making more units limited draw.

We won one and lost one. Look for Reading and Comm. Tuchton lobby together to restrict predator hunting.

28-Jun-22

• Sitka Gear