Paul@thefort 06-Aug-22
Grasshopper 06-Aug-22
21-Jul-22

31-Jul-22

01-Aug-22

03-Aug-22

04-Aug-22
Paul,

After going to many, many of the sportsman’s meetings, commissioners meetings, and special CPw meetings over the years, I have come to the conclusion that it is a massive waste of time and energy… No amount of logic nor common sense will penetrate the idealism of those in power with CPw…

04-Aug-22
^^^ I agree with Tavis. Until I see some movement to increase resident opportunity, don’t waste my time

05-Aug-22

05-Aug-22
History has shown that the CPW likes to use two words when it comes to changing anything.

Status Quo

05-Aug-22
Gee Brad! I thought that was the CBA's famous term , not the CPW!!!!!!!

05-Aug-22
The CPW doesn't need meeting to address the hunt codes that should be 80/20 that are still 65/35. They are 10 years behind on this. Maybe start there?

05-Aug-22
Paul and Sol(saul), anyone notice that has a biblical ring to it?

Thanks for putting on a great meeting last night. The agenda was terrific, and so was turnout.

I did receive a response to my question. The way I read it, if residents retained OTC licenses in 2nd and 3rd rifle, and we limited nonresidents, then landowner preference would no kick in.

It seems really odd to me when during a process to potentially shift more licenses to residents, folks chime in to take all units limited for all hunters, and then give away 20% of the tags to landowners, leaving residents with a maximum of 49% of the public draw tags.

06-Aug-22
Steve, I would expect since the Colorado Legislature passed a bill to create the program, it will never go away regardless the change in license allocations or OTC licenses distribution. A newer program will just be developed.

"The Landowner Preference Program (LPP) was created to give landowners a preference for hunting licenses to encourage private landowners to provide habitat that increases wildlife populations for the benefit of all hunters, discourage the harboring of game animals on private lands during public hunting seasons, and relieve hunting pressure on public lands by increasing game hunting on private lands."

"With passage of Senate Bill 13-188, a new landowner preference system was created called the Landowner Preference Program. The LPP replaces all previous landowner preference systems. In order to apply for landowner preference, the deeded landowner must register the deeded land with Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) by December 1 to be eligible for the drawing the following year."

06-Aug-22
"The Landowner Preference Program (LPP) was created to give landowners a preference for hunting licenses to encourage private landowners to provide habitat that increases wildlife populations for the benefit of all hunters, discourage the harboring of game animals on private lands during public hunting seasons, and relieve hunting pressure on public lands by increasing game hunting on private lands."

Creative bullshit wordsmithing by PR pros. The real reason was to bow to landowner (outfitter) pressure to give them more vouchers to sell and profit from, while at the same time increasing nonresident license revenue by getting around the allocation percentage, since the majority of vouchers appear to be sold to nonresidents.

I understand part of that, especially now that hunting has truly become a commercial enterprise for landowners. But as Steve points out, it is being done at the expense of resident hunter opportunity. And I'm hearing of more and more landowner vouchers being sold without permission to hunt the ranch for which it was issued, which blows the last half of that quote. They are advertised as "unit-wide landowner vouchers".

And my state representative responded to me by saying there are no documented instances of vouchers being brokered on the open market by third party brokers. I told her to Google Colorado landowner vouchers for sale. Never heard back.

06-Aug-22
Yeah there was a lot of illegal brokering going on that CPW never did anything about. Also I would ask is private land access easier or harder since the LPP program started?

06-Aug-22
Orion, on the eastern plains it is definitely harder. My couple weekends of cowboying for access went away when vouchers became worth $4-6000, with a trophy fee added onto that. And large ranchers can obtain up to 19 deer vouchers and 19 pronghorn vouchers to sell.

06-Aug-22
From Google search, Colorado Landowner vouchers sold by third party.

DESCRIPTION: 1 - Unit 62 Mule Deer Tag Unit Wide Archery Dates - September 2 - 30, 2022 Price - $2,000

Show Less PRICING OPTIONS: Landowner $2,000.00 Contact an advisor for more information. LANDOWNER CONTACT: OUTFITTER ID: LO LAST UPDATED: 7/27/2022 Tyler Streich (970) 596-5510 [email protected]

06-Aug-22
Lou, as you know, east of I 25, 13% of the quota is issued for a specific hunt code, ie, "unit wide" and then an additional 10% of the public limited quota can be issued as "private land only" licenses.

So I seems that land owner license can be advertised/sold as "unit wide" license , but the private land only licenses can only be transferred to youth or an immediate family member.

If I remember correctly, the "unit wide" use of these private land owner licenses are the ones where there is controversy.

06-Aug-22
I don't think you are following me Paul. Lets talk.

• Sitka Gear