JayD 02-Aug-22
#bowhunter 02-Aug-22
Jack Whitmrie jr 02-Aug-22
babysaph 04-Aug-22
Koog 04-Aug-22
Babysaph 04-Aug-22
Koog 08-Aug-22
24-Jul-22
I didn't know this and someone said he the other day and I looked it up on DNR website :

Despite their reputation, they pose little danger to humans who keep their distance and do not disturb them. It is illegal to kill any snake in the wild, in West Virginia.

24-Jul-22
Wow didn’t know that. Wonder how that will be policed?

24-Jul-22
Me either JR, it can't be policed unless they put it on social media :)

25-Jul-22
Wasn’t there a bunch of stuff passed with snakes and other reptiles such as turtles and salamanders?

01-Aug-22
Yes it was JD but I didn't know it until I saw it the other day.

01-Aug-22
Is it in the DNR Regs?

02-Aug-22
I remember reading about it but didn’t really look into it - other then looking at those creatures and maybe occasionally picking up a salamander from the wood pile and moving it to a safer place - I don’t deal with them too much. Normally like to keep a safe distance between myself and snakes even though I did have to remove 3 black snakes from the basement this past winter! I did find a cozy log for them away from the house.

02-Aug-22
Ask the parents of that 6yr old boy in Co. about that law.

02-Aug-22
Yes JR in regulations as follows:

SNAKES West Virginia is home to 22 species of snakes. Like lizards, snakes are reptiles in the order Squamata. Snakes are very closely related to lizards, but we recognize snakes to be scaly ectothermic vertebrates that do not have limbs, external ears, or closing eyelids. Interestingly, different species of snakes employ various reproductive strategies from live births (viviparity), to producing eggs that develop within the body and giving birth to live offspring (ovoviparity), to laying eggs (oviparity).

Two of the snake species in West Virginia are venomous, the timber rattlesnake and eastern copperhead. These two pit vipers use their venom to subdue prey, including rodents and other small mammals. Despite their reputation, they pose little danger to humans who keep their distance and do not disturb them. It is illegal to kill any snake in the wild, in West Virginia.

04-Aug-22
Ok thanks.

04-Aug-22
So if the snake is not in the wild, you can kill him? Is there a definition for "in the wild"? I mean if he's scooting thru my yard or on my property, can one kill him?

04-Aug-22
Shoot shovel and shut up.

08-Aug-22
well put

• Sitka Gear