Longcruise 03-Aug-22
squirrel 03-Aug-22
Paul@thefort 03-Aug-22
Jaquomo 04-Aug-22
TheGreatWapiti 04-Aug-22
29-Jul-22

Longcruise's embedded Photo
Longcruise's embedded Photo
Seeing lots of nice looking porcini mushrooms at 9000 to 10000 feet.

30-Jul-22
These dried mushrooms add a meaty richness and an earthy note to all kinds of dishes. Try them in both forms to get a huge umami punch.

Whole Soften whole dried mushrooms in hot water for at least 15 minutes before adding to a dish. You can use the flavorful soaking liquid as all or part of a recipe's cooking liquid (as for a mushroom risotto). Or add dried porcini to a pot of braised short ribs or lamb shanks.

Ground Love the flavor of mushrooms but not the texture? Go with ground. Simply blitz dried porcini in a food mill until a fine powder forms. Dissolve into thicker soups and sauces to deepen flavor. The powder can also be sprinkled on steaks before searing or blended with spices and salt to make a dry rub for meats or full-flavored fish.

30-Jul-22
Can you please post a picture of the underside of this mushroom. Thanks-Tim

31-Jul-22

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
10 pounds day before yesterday, 7 yesterday. Kings and orange caps are both popping around the 9K elevation right now. I leave the yellow aspen boletes alone as well as the slippery brown ones, because I don't want to hassle with peeling them.

Tim, they have a sponge, not gills. If the sponge is yellow we peel it out with our finger. Fresh ones will have a whitish sponge, and we eat that along with the cap. Had a bolete-bacon-swiss quiche today for lunch. Yum!

31-Jul-22
Thanks - I thought they had a spongy underside but I keep getting mixed messages from some of my so called experts in NW CO. Unbelievable amount of mushrooms out right now. Picked a bunch and will try them with elk steaks tonight.

31-Jul-22
If you eat the orange caps, make sure to cook them very thoroughly. They have a great flavor but can cause gastric upset if undercooked. The Kings (dark brown) are the primo ones and don't have that problem. In my photo you can see the difference between the two varieties.

31-Jul-22
Lou how many different kinds mushrooms are there in the picture?

31-Jul-22
I must be looking in the wrong places. All I ever find are Psilocybe, Panaeolus and Copelandia?

31-Jul-22

31-Jul-22
John, two. The really dark ones are King boletes (porcini), the lighter ones are orange caps (saber stalks).

01-Aug-22
I used to hunt morels as a kid in the midwest but these look great. Something else I need to learn more about. Thanks for posting!

02-Aug-22
Leave a few for an old fat guy from Kansas. I along with a cousin and 2 brothers will be on the Grand Mesa for 7 days starting the 12th. This an annual fishing, camping, mushroom gathering trip. I love the Boletes, and Chanterelles, and will eat what I believe are officially Scaly Tooth's. The locals call them Hawks Wing or Tiles. I haven't missed a year since 1974. That means I'm old.

02-Aug-22

TheGreatWapiti's embedded Photo
What is this? Colorado 6,500'

02-Aug-22
Cant tell without seeing the stem and the gills

02-Aug-22

Don't know where this came from? Not my pic!
Don't know where this came from? Not my pic!
Clear enough?

03-Aug-22
Except for porcinis and morels I avoid em. I don't know enough about them. I'd end up eating a death angel of some kind. 8^)

It always seems that it's the experts who end up eating the wrong ones. :(

03-Aug-22
unreal shrooms this year. feed em to da wife she no on throne in hour eat dinner??

03-Aug-22
"Unreal mushrooms this year. Feed some to the wife. She is now on the throne for an hour, after eating dinner" or an hour after eating dinner, she is on the throne".

Did your wife approve of this message?

04-Aug-22
Great Wapiti, that ring on the stem is a warning sign. I wouldn't touch it. Morels and Boletes are easy to identify. Wife got another load of Boletes today while I was elk scouting. Yum!

04-Aug-22
Thanks for the heads up, Jaquomo!

• Sitka Gear