crestedbutte 04-Aug-22
Paul@thefort 21-Aug-22
soccern23ny 22-Aug-22
Ccity65 22-Aug-22
crestedbutte 24-Aug-22
04-Aug-22

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
crestedbutte's embedded Photo
Question for you guys that have bear hunted in Colorado. Will their patterns (area frequented, trails used) change that much between Aug. and Oct.? I was recently out at my remote cabin and patterned 3 different bears foraging heavily in the same general area/vicinity...daily for over 2 weeks straight. The area they are currently frequenting (mountain side) has no hiking or ATV trails on or near it....so to get there you have to blaze your own trail up there.

It should be noted that I fully expect that these bears will get bumped by a few adventurous elk/deer hunters venturing up into this remote mountainside during the early hunting seasons. However, just wondering if human presence overall is LOW will there be a good chance the bears will still be in this same area/pattern come late Oct. or will typical fall conditions have them void of this summer area completely? Thoughts or experiences will be greatly appreciated.

04-Aug-22
Feed is always a determining factors where bears are going to be. Find their food source such as acorns, nuts,berries, kill sites. Also around small ponds provide water& food. October is a time of year their food source will start changing. I always buy a bear tag if available. Good luck

04-Aug-22
Richard….thx for the feedback. I do have a bear tag. No acorns in this part of the high back country. However, there are indeed 2 small ponds in the general vicinity of where the pic of this bear and the others were taken the last couple of weeks.

1 pond (about 1acre in size) is about 500 ft. below the bear pictured and is fed by snow melt from the high basin above. That specific pond is mostly surrounded by a thin layer of intermittent willows which at their thickest point are only about 8-10 ft. wide/thick and mostly surround the bank of the pond. There is nearby sections of dark timber about 50ft. away on both sides of the pond but no real defined game trails leading to and from it.

Pond #2 (beaver pond) is about an 1/8th of a mile to the right of where the pic. of the bear was taken. It is a much larger pond (about 3-5 acres in size) and located at the bottom edge of a nearby high basin bowl. It is fed by both snow melt and natural springs. However, it has probably 10 acres of very dense “SPOOKY”willows surrounding 3 sides of it that is on the edge of the wide open high basin area and has a large section of dark timber directly next to it on the remaining side. The great thing is the dark section of timber directly next to this pond has a fairly “flat” bench (approx. 500’ wide) with multiple game trails at differing heights running along its 500’ width as this timbered bench circles the base of an upper portion of the mountain.

I’ll be honest, my first inclination is to set-up near or between a few of the game trails back in that dark timbered flat that leads to that one side of the large beaver pond in hopes of catching one of those bruins lumbering along one of those game trails while in the protective cover that the dark timber affords them. However, to do that requires that I cross that 10 acre wide section of “SPOOKY” dense willows in the dark both coming and going in the AM and PM. To be honest….not too crazy about doing that but may have no choice.

Will be carrying a side arm for sure!

21-Aug-22

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Or you can just call one in with a predator call, ie, fawn in distress, as I did the last day of Colorado Early Season archery a few years back. Bears in the area were feeding on berries, acorns, grasses. I set up in the morn where I had seen bear sign, down wind, called off and on every few minutes, for a half hour. bear just showed up and walked up to within 20 yards. I was his breakfast. Arrow gone, down in 50 yards. Bears are not know to stay in one place very long, and continue to search for food, 24/7. When they use it up, they are gone elsewhere else.

22-Aug-22
Front range I have on my trail cams I have seen them much more often near creeks, wallows, and streams. I Almost exclusively only see them along water as compared to my trail cams that are set up even just 75 yards off of water. "Riparian" areas

22-Aug-22
I began patterning one last week and so far he is fairly regular. Food source should stay pretty consistent through the Sept. season. He is not a monster but he is very good sized. For lots of reason, I will use my rifle on this one, should I get a chance.

24-Aug-22
Thx all. Paul… great point about calling one in. Didn’t think about doing that but will definitely have a call in my bag of tricks.

Good luck to the rest of you on your upcoming bear hunts.

• Sitka Gear