horsethief51 24-Aug-22
horsethief51 25-Aug-22
horsethief51 27-Aug-22
23-Aug-22

horsethief51 's embedded Photo
Just wondering if anyone else is getting ready for the season yet. My farmer's broken tractor was unable to get the parts to fix it, so none of my hay fields got mowed. I did brush hog parts of them myself, especially the food plots and the clover is coming back in nicely with the rain we have had recently. Dan and I spent 2 days last week making sure our ladder stands were secure, we put up life lines and did some trimming. Sign is looking good. Still waiting to see trail cam pics before putting out blinds. Apples are sparse and I haven't really seen acorns.

I did get a few interesting pictures from July, including a bear, several legal bucks, a fisher with something in its mouth and a whole coyote family. Ever see 5 in one picture?

I also saw a nice bunch of sulphur shelf mushrooms along my driveway today that ended up in a frying pan. I also took a picture of another unknown mushroom that I would like some help with. I have an idea but want to let you all see what you think first.

23-Aug-22

23-Aug-22

These guys don't stand still very often.

23-Aug-22

This fisher has a smaller mammal in its mouth.

23-Aug-22

7 or 8?
7 or 8?
5 on the left side.
5 on the left side.
2 bucks.
2 bucks.
Seems like we have more than a couple 6 and 7 points with no brow tines, but a couple different 8's, a nine and another with 5 on one side that is different from the 9 point.

23-Aug-22

Identify this mushroom. It was nine inches across at its widest point. Maybe a younger version of an edible? I never saw the sulphur shelfs this early and I found this thing while checking my usual chicken of the woods spot.

24-Aug-22
You have a lot of critters there, best of luck.

24-Aug-22
Every animal in PA except the elk Jeff. LOL. Even bobcats! Dan, Perry and I have all taken bucks from that last (2 bucks) picture's tree stand location. Plus Kathy, me and my cousin Mark have had success from a blind about 75 yards right around the corner. Pretty good spot. Dan and I also got a double on longbeards one year up in the field above it.

24-Aug-22
Looks good Art! I was really bummed that I got sick and couldn’t make it out there. I didn’t realize how much I look forward to our pre-season trips to the farm in July/Aug, until last week when I realized I was not gonna be able to make it! : (

I really enjoy those evenings sitting on the hill waiting for deer to come out in the big field and trying to identify them from trailcam pics. And then the trimming of ATV trails and around the edges of the fields, moving and readying stands and of course fishing in the pond.

It has become a ritual and something to look forward to every summer and makes me a little sad I won’t get out there until hunting season now.

So keep sending pics, Art- so at least I can be there in spirit! ;-)

24-Aug-22
The hay will be getting mowed during this weekend's nice weather. Rain will follow and all should be green for bow season.

24-Aug-22
So, is that white thing a young hen of the woods (or sheep's head)? What will it look like in 11 days? I am going away and don't want to let it get too big. Will I have to get the caretaker to harvest it?

25-Aug-22
Cauliflower mushroom. Leaving early tomorrow for a week. The retired Marine staying at my house would never be able to find it. Dan might if I tell him where it is.

27-Aug-22
But first, we arrive at Taggart Bay Quebec for a fishing trip and Moose hunting scouting trip today. See you all when we get home.

• Sitka Gear