Pat Lefemine 02-Sep-22
spike78 03-Sep-22
Pat Lefemine 05-Sep-22
Squash 05-Sep-22
spike78 06-Sep-22
31-Aug-22

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Every year I hunt the early archery bear season. I have never even seen a bear while hunting but hopefully this is my year. Anyone else giving it a try?

01-Sep-22
Pat, what kind of food grows out there?

01-Sep-22
Pat, what kind of food grows out there?

01-Sep-22
Not sure what you’re asking spike?

I have a nice 1.5 acre cornfield that’s close to being fully mature.

01-Sep-22

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Here is a pic of my bear spot in MA. Heavy corn damage every year. All the bears I see are during day from 7:30 to 10:30 usually. Has your corn been hit yet?

01-Sep-22
Pat how are you setting up on the cornfield or is this the first time your growing corn?

01-Sep-22
Not my first time growing corn. I keep trying different configurations to encourage early movement and funneling bears by my stand. It’s so hard to kill a bear without bait but one of these seasons I’ll get lucky.

02-Sep-22
Do you usually sit watching the corn or in the woods to the corn? Reason I ask is because I have never seen a bear at the corn all have been while sitting in the woods by the corn. Also are you growing the corn next to open woods or thick woods? In my spot their is approximately 150 acres of corn and most of the damage to the corn is next to the thick and nasty as opposed to the open woods. Their is one spot the bears are coming out that is so thick you literally can not even sit the spot.

02-Sep-22
I may go if I’m not brook trout fishing in the ADKs. There are black cherries this year, and there’s a big grove of them in the wilderness area I deer hunt in, May give it a try for Bear.

02-Sep-22
I am Headed to Maine tomorrow for a week long bear hunt. Guide has been seeing them out walking during the day light hours. Number of trail cam pics.

02-Sep-22
Spike, I typically hunt the edge of the cornfield where I'm getting the most trail cam pics. I had one patterned well last year but I think he winded me on opening day and he never entered that field again. Bowhunting bears in NY is just plain hard. Period. Most of the bears killed during rifle are just due to getting lucky while deer hunting.

Honestly, the only reason I even do it is because the early archery bear season opens up before any other season. And it's really the only time you have even a small chance to pattern a bear.

03-Sep-22

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Pat try backing up in the woods as I find all these bears going to the cornfield use their runs quite religiously. I also find that the bears I hunt go straight from the woods to the corn and go inside it and don’t really seem to walk the edge down the corn for much distance anyway. They are like ghosts I was sitting ten yards in the woods and out of nowhere a bear came from the corn and went by me. I was like how the hell did it get to the corn and I didn’t see it the first time. I have sat the corn edge with zero sightings then started backing up in the woods and started seeing them. Here is a pic of a bear 60 yards away from the corn. I have sat this spot two seasons in a row and shot one bear and passed another. It’s a neat spot that directs bears from two different directions to the corn.

05-Sep-22

Bears are tearing up my corn
Bears are tearing up my corn
I wish I could figure out their trails.

Here’s my cornfield yesterday. Bears are tearing it up! This section of the corn is only 30 yards from my stand.

05-Sep-22
Maybe it’s not bears, alien crop circle ? LOL

06-Sep-22
Nice Pat maybe this is the year!

• Sitka Gear