Orion 12-Sep-22
TRnCO 12-Sep-22
Ucsdryder 12-Sep-22
billygoat 12-Sep-22
Glunt@work 12-Sep-22
Orion 13-Sep-22
01-Sep-22

CO Oak's Link
How long can they continue to do this piecemeal and not statewide?

CPW seeks public feedback on potential changes to over-the-counter archery licenses in DAU E-14

The Grand Mesa elk herd is managed by both the Northwest and Southwest Regions. Currently, unlimited over-the-counter (OTC) either sex elk archery licenses are valid across the Grand Mesa. Colorado Parks and Wildlife is looking for the public's feedback on a possible future recommendation to limit OTC elk archery licenses in the Grand Mesa Elk Data Analysis Unit (DAU) E-14, which includes Game Management Units (GMU) 41, 42, 421, 52, 411 and 521.

01-Sep-22
"Wildlife managers have intentionally reduced the E-14 elk herd from a high of over 20,000 elk in the early 1990s to a 2021 post-hunt population estimate of approximately 14,000 elk. The current population objective for this herd is 15,000-19,000 elk."

Without looking at the history, it seems like they overshot their mark (pun intended). Perhaps they recently increased the objective.

01-Sep-22
From some of what I am hearing on the back end. The CPW and commission is more open than in the past of making some changes I think CO bowhunters will see as positive. Including possible cap on OTC for non residents, having a more favorable split in draw units from the current 65/35 in most units. Sounds like any change having to be revenue neutral is not as set in stone as it has been in the past. Likely any of these changes would be more towards the 2024 season or likely the next five years structure. Nothing concrete at this point, but our concerns are being heard.

01-Sep-22
Sell more OTC licenses every year, reduce the amount of units that license is valid.

I'm no rocket surgeon but it's easy to see where we are headed.

01-Sep-22
And no recommendations to make the rifle hunts draw?

Or limit NR tags?

WTF… Typical CPw. Archery tags will go draw there just like every other place they proposed (even the temporary draw tags in the flattops) and the unlimited OTC rifle tags will continue. They absolutely suck!

01-Sep-22
I don't think they really care what the public input is. When they looked at 521, and the participation, they didn't even have a breakdown of residents vs nonresidents.

01-Sep-22

JohnMC's Link
Read the link recently released by the CPW. I think they are hearing the issues, also seriously considering some changes that will be beneficial to residents. There is a lot work and conversation happening. I believe we will see some good change may not until the 5 year structure.

02-Sep-22
They are recomending no changes to OTC archery. Meanwhile, the whole SW went limited, 80/81 went limited, and now 521, and the whole Grand Mesa are being polled to go limited with no consideration of capping nonresidents. As they go limited, crowding gets worse, and everyone pushed out starts to spend their points, causing issues for everyone who is satisfied drawing a limited license in units that take less then 5 points.

Their OTC cap analysis, also caps and reduces residents while we have an elk herd over objective at 309,000 animals.

I get what you are saying, but personally I'm not optimistic at all.

02-Sep-22
I would love to see improvement but how does that saying go?

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me for 4 decades, shame on me."

02-Sep-22
Don and Steve you guys have been involved in this stuff a lot long than I. Let me ask you two a question. Have you all seen in the past the CPW admits there is a crowding problem and 2 that CO lets in to many non residents? I feel that this is new for them and big step in right direction. But maybe that is not the case.

03-Sep-22
Don't mind me. I'm cynical and skeptical regarding the CPW which is neither productive or helpful. I'm also selfish and want an either sex elk tag every year as a resident bowhunter as long as the herd is at or near objectives.

So far, the "solutions" that happen feel like removing a finger to cure what was just a hang nail.

On a positive note, hitting a favorite ridge in the morning bow in hand.

03-Sep-22
Ok guys, email the Commission and express your opinions on these issues. Better yet, attend some of the meeting if you can. Overwhelm them with messages and recommendations. Do not set on your hands and think someone else will do it. Watch the Commission meeting on Facebook. They need hunter actions, so give it to them. I know I will and the CBA is very engaged in this process.

11-Sep-22
Paul is right, we as hunters need to have more input going forward so CPW will pay attention and listen to what residents want for better hunting opportunities. The more hunters speak up the more they will listen.

11-Sep-22
It’s typical govt. They go thru the typical ‘motions’ and want ‘input’ but in reality it’s all just bullshit. They will do whatever is in the best interest of their pocketbook.

Yeah - sure - go ahead and send your emails. Attend the meetings. Beat your drums.

I lived the govt life for 25 years and know EXACTLY how the game is played.

Colorado Resident hunter will get shafted… again and again.

You should be used to it by now.

11-Sep-22
Sounds like Colorado's wildlife is the one getting "shafted" the most.

12-Sep-22
"Colorado Resident hunter will get shafted… again and again".

If this issue is left in the Commissions hands, then yes we will get shafted. We should all write our state Rep & Senator and let them know what's going on and how we feel. I just watched the Craig Commission meeting and that is the only thing they are scared of! The Commissioners all think we "Residents" should give up hunting so that Nonresidents can come here and keep Outfitters afloat is what I got out of their discussions.

12-Sep-22
The love of money is the root of evil, period.

12-Sep-22
Surprised so many people still think CPW gives a crap about your opinion. These things are nothing but a show so they can check a box and move on with their agenda.

12-Sep-22
Sad to say that I agree with the above, my voice gets me no where. The CDOW&P is just giving everyone a chance to "weigh in" but what they want to do will be done, no matter how many hunters voice opinions otherwise. All about the money.

12-Sep-22
Let’s keep whittling away at Otc and put MORE people into the dwindling Otc units. Come on guys. If it’s this obvious to everyone with half a brain how does CPW not see what they’re doing…or maybe they do see what they’re doing, but what’s the end goal? To make Colorado elk hunting so bad that they lower our expectations?

12-Sep-22
I wonder how many imported wolves will satisfy the wolfies? 100? 500? 1000? More? I'm betting things will look real bad around here by the end of this decade.

That's when the NR money will really be drying up, the CPW will be howling, too!

12-Sep-22
Quite a few archery elk units have gone limited due to bowhunter harvest or pressure (depending on who and when you ask). Bowhunters are in the woods around a week each and take about 6000 elk per year.

If we end up like Montana with 1000+ wolves, that's 20,000 elk per year according to Wyoming studies that show wolves eat about 20 elk per wolf, per year.

I'm not a biologist but I do have a calculator.

I expect a big impact accompanied by theories from experts that it's not wolves. It's climate change, or habitat loss, or disease, or energy development, or atvs, or lack of diversity.

13-Sep-22
Yeah wolves will be last to blame. Look how long it took CPW to admit we have a bear problem.

• Sitka Gear